Old January 3, 2004, 03:54   #121
predesad
Civilization III PBEM
Warlord

Local Time: 08:54
Local Date: November 2, 2010
not to be impatient or pushy ... okay maybe i am being impatient and pushy, any prospects on when we can get this thing started?
predesad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3, 2004, 09:37   #122
Rommel2D
staff
Civilization III PBEMIron Civers

Local Time: 09:54
Tournement Set-up
I think we're still giving people a few days to recover from the holidays (and ADG to recover his system). We haven't heard from Octavian in a few days. Are we being too demanding, or are you waiting on the results of the various polls?

There are a few people who have yet to verify that they wanted in to the tournement since we proposed the 4 player, 2 round format:
alva
notyoueither
Tarquinius

Iron Jackson has asked to be included since then. Since alva and nye were tenative in their initial requests, there might be an open spot for you I J.

GhengisFarb and E_T have yet to post time zones and email addresses. Mine was missed the first time:

jwala at fastmail dot fm
GMT-6
Playing times: around 6AM and 6PM GMT

Only half the players have voted on how to choose Civs for the game, but no one has objected to random so it's probably safe to go with that.

We also have the issue of how to deal with game delays. Octavian, are you Ok with keeping passwords and making nominal moves for a player before passing it to the next player? Would you like another referee to help with this? Would it help to give you an impressive title like The Big Kahuna or something?

Does anyone think we should use another method to keep games moving?
Old January 3, 2004, 09:47   #123
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

Local Time: 16:54
Update:

**PLAYER LIST DELETED**

Rules:
Map: Tiny, pangea
Civs: Random
Barbarians: Have we agreed on this one yet?

Last edited by Adagio; January 7, 2004 at 10:30.
Adagio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3, 2004, 09:52   #124
Iron Jackson
C3CDG Blood Oath Horde
Prince

Local Time: 15:54
It's fine. Currently I'm in some PBEMs which got stuck due to the lack of a referee keeping all the PWs. I would like to help Octavian with this (if I might).

I'm fine with random choice of civs. It gives you the possiblity to play with a civ you normally don't play. For example, I think I've played since the release of Civ3 only half of the civs (including those ones added with PTW and C3C).
Iron Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4, 2004, 10:04   #125
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

I'll post the players list for the first three games in a few minutes, so we can get started... Iron Jackson: You're in the game... since 5 players haven't posted their info, one of them wont get into this tournament... that'll be the last player to post the info... one of these guy's wont make it:

GhengisFarb
Tarquinius
alva
notyoueither
E_T
Old January 4, 2004, 10:14   #126
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

**PLAYER LIST DELETED**

Does this look ok, or does someone have a better playlist?

Btw, I can play Conquest... it works in SP at least... never tried PBEM though... I still can't get PTW working

Did Octavian (or someone) make a map which should be used for all games in first round, or should we go random? Or should the players in game 1 make the map for game 2, game 2 players makes map for game 3, who makes a map for game 1?

Last edited by Adagio; January 7, 2004 at 10:31.
Old January 4, 2004, 10:33   #127
Harovan
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty PythonC4DG Gathering Storm
Civ4: Colonization Content Editor

You should have my email too, from the Naval game or my post in this thread.

A random map should be fine. Somebody should look if nobody is screwed (stuck in the jungle or a vast hill area), but not "balance" the map - just say "yea" or "nay".
Harovan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4, 2004, 11:28   #128
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

You mean like all players votes 'yay' or 'nay' within a couple of turns, to say if they are screwed with this map or not? (Giving each player a max of voting twice or something)
Old January 4, 2004, 13:33   #129
Soltz
Iron CiversC4WDG Delian League
King

Local Time: 06:54
We could start each game with "four" random maps and then after the 2nd or 3rd turn each player could rank the maps by preference - 1 for the best map, 2 for the next choice etc. Ranks are added up and the map with the lowest score is the one used for the balance of the game.

The first few turns go pretty fast anyways.
Old January 4, 2004, 14:44   #130
Paddy
Iron CiversApolyton Storywriters' GuildThe Courts of Candle'BreBtS Tri-LeagueC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC3CDG Blood Oath HordeCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG The HordeC4WDG éirich tuireannApolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

Local Time: 23:54
Hi there ADG,

II understand you are busy and all. These are from December 31, hope this helps.

Quote:
Originally posted by Sir Ralph
sirralph at gmx dot com

IIRC, GhengisFarb is GMT-6, Tarquinius GMT+1 and NYE is GMT-7.
Quote:
Originally posted by Wittlich
wittlich (at) sbcglobal (dot) net
Quote:
Originally posted by Paddy the Scot

I like these ideas.

48 hours should be plenty of time

paddythescot @ hotmail dot com
I appreciate all you are doing to get this tournie happening
Old January 4, 2004, 14:50   #131
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

Thx

I didn't include what Sir Ralph posted about GF, Tarquinius and NYE... I prefer them to post it themselves (To make sure they're still interested in playing the game)

**PLAYER LIST DELETED**

Last edited by Adagio; January 7, 2004 at 10:32.
Old January 4, 2004, 14:51   #132
Iron Jackson
C3CDG Blood Oath Horde
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Soltz
We could start each game with "four" random maps and then after the 2nd or 3rd turn each player could rank the maps by preference - 1 for the best map, 2 for the next choice etc. Ranks are added up and the map with the lowest score is the one used for the balance of the game.

The first few turns go pretty fast anyways.
That´s a pretty good idea.
Old January 4, 2004, 14:56   #133
smellymummy
King

Local Time: 06:54
wouldn't i fit better in game two as far as timezones are concerned, than in game 3 ?
smellymummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4, 2004, 15:06   #134
Paddy
Iron CiversApolyton Storywriters' GuildThe Courts of Candle'BreBtS Tri-LeagueC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC3CDG Blood Oath HordeCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG The HordeC4WDG éirich tuireannApolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by ADG
Thx

I didn't include what Sir Ralph posted about GF, Tarquinius and NYE... I prefer them to post it themselves (To make sure they're still interested in playing the game)
Oh, OK.

By chance have they been PM'd with a friendly reminder.

I am not sure I am not sure if they, or actually anyone else, has the same issue that I have with thread reminders at the moment. I have in my 'personal options' tagged 'yes' for
"Use 'Email Notification' by default? Using this option emails you whenever someone replies to a thread that you have participated in."
Yet recently time and again I have gone back to threads, such as this one, to find that they have moved on without any notification.

If you do not have the time, would you mind if I PM'd them then on this subject only.

Also it has been the silly holiday / work season...
Old January 4, 2004, 15:19   #135
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Paddy the Scot
If you do not have the time, would you mind if I PM'd them then on this subject only.
Feel free... I don't have any more time today...

Quote:
Originally posted by smellymummy
wouldn't i fit better in game two as far as timezones are concerned, than in game 3 ?
I had you there at first, but then I wasn't sure where Paddy the Scot (GMT + 11) would fit in
Old January 4, 2004, 15:31   #136
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

My user name @ hotmail dot com

GMT -7

Sorry to be late.
notyoueither is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4, 2004, 17:02   #137
BigFree
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III MultiplayerPtWDG RoleplayCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCivilization III Democracy GameCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG CalysiumBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG SarantiumPtWDG2 SunshineC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 07:54
ADG: I thought you already had my email address? Oh well, here it is: bigfree1 A-T comcast.net
BigFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4, 2004, 18:56   #138
Rommel2D
staff

Quote:
Originally posted by Soltz:
If we're doing this solely for the starting points, a ref would have to do the checking. The ranking method will allow for Civ draws to be evaluated as well as map positions (not that that's [edit: necessarily] bad).

I've never tried an evaluated start before, so I'll go with anything as long as it sounds fair. Being somewhat fatalistic, I'd prefer something along the lines of giving everyone a single veto for the game, however.

Last edited by Rommel2D; January 4, 2004 at 21:24.
Rommel2D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4, 2004, 19:22   #139
Paddy
Prince

I like the idea of the Referee doing the checking myself.

If anyone has a major issue with their starting position, they can take it up with the Referee who can then decide if the game needs to be restarted.

Personally I would prefer not to be starting 4 games just to evaluate the start positions.

Also I would like to see each of the tournaments held on the one map. With a new map per round...
Old January 4, 2004, 20:12   #140
Rommel2D
staff

I still say location is too rough of an indication of playing times, we should get specific availability times to coordinate the games better, or just randomize everyone to assure fairness.

That being said, this is how all the games line up geographically; if we leave Paddy with the western Americans, one of the games will end up being split between eastern Americans and western Europeans:

[I hope no one is touchy about this, but I use 'American' in reference to the continents ]

Quote:
Game 1:
*play list deleted*
Game 2 would stay the same. One game would be all central Americans (smellymummy, notyoueither, plus two of either predesad, myself, or GhengisFarb (I'm just guessing from his OU banner, he might be stationed elsewhere, though). The odd one out would be with E_T, CerberusIV, and rogerurb (or possibly Tarquinius). The final game would have ADG, Iron Jackson, Sir Ralph, and either rogerurb or alva (/Tarquinius?):

smellymummy
notyoueither
2 of [predesad, Rommel2D, or GhengisFarb]

1 of [predesad, Rommel2D, or GhengisFarb]
E_T
CerberusIV
rogerurb (Tarquinius?)

ADG
Iron Jackson
Sir Ralph
alva (/Tarquinius) or rogerurb

This is a straight forward, around the globe progression. I'm assuming that since alva and Tarquinius haven't responded since the first page, even without email notifications, only one of them will make it in.

Last edited by Rommel2D; January 13, 2004 at 13:38.
Old January 4, 2004, 22:48   #141
Paddy
Prince

I appreciate all of the effort going into working out times etc.
Just for the record, I work a scattered shift, so I am available at varied hours of play.
Old January 5, 2004, 01:14   #142
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

I'm in Louisiana which is GMT - 6 I believe.
GhengisFarb™ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5, 2004, 03:14   #143
Rommel2D
staff

Quote:
I appreciate all of the effort going into working out times etc.
I don't know if its all that much effort, but it might take a few days to coordinate schedules. If it allows for an extra turn or two a week, it should end up saving alot of time before the games are finished. On the other hand, schedules change and substitute players are sometimes needed. Plus, we haven't been very successful getting everyone to respond here before. I guess this depends on how many other people think it worthwhile.

My main 'down time' is 9AM - 6PM GMT. Other than that my schedule varies. Soltz posted availability at 9-12PM, I'm assuming local time, making it 2-5AM GMT. If anyone else wants to post any schedule 'limits', I'll keep track and try to piece something together. I don't want to hold up the game once we're ready to start, though.

GF, Louisiana is central time, right? Yep, that would be -6. (When did Microsoft take the graphical map out of the date/time menu anyway? )-:<

[edit: grammar correction]

Last edited by Rommel2D; January 13, 2004 at 13:44.
Old January 5, 2004, 03:29   #144
Rommel2D
staff

Quote:
Also I would like to see each of the tournaments held on the one map. With a new map per round...
I like this idea too. Octavian X generated 4 different maps the first time, but had size and water % different than we'd agreed to. He hasn't posted here since then. I PMed him just incase the auto-notification was on the fritz.
Old January 5, 2004, 06:08   #145
Tarquinius
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Prince

Well, I am still interested to play.
Thanks for Paddy for reminding me I signed up for this one
My timezone is GMT +1 and my email is redmar_damsmaAThotmail.com
Old January 5, 2004, 08:49   #146
Harovan
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty PythonC4DG Gathering Storm
Civ4: Colonization Content Editor

The membership in the groups should be completely random. This makes sure we don't play with the same groups, should we ever play a 2nd tournament. The order within the groups should be determined by time flow from east to west, assuming everyone plays mainly in his evening hours. Should anyone differ from this, he should say so.
Harovan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5, 2004, 08:51   #147
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

How about in the first tournament we do it as we have done now... IF we ever make a second tournament, we make it completely random
Old January 5, 2004, 08:54   #148
Paddy
Prince

I like your idea Sir Ralph, I agree that the groups should be random.

Mix it up, lets get the ball rolling and smack these games through some saves...

EDIT: Hi ADG, I see your post now.
Point taken.

Last edited by Paddy; January 5, 2004 at 09:00.
Paddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5, 2004, 09:43   #149
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

But I wouldn't mind random either... don't know if it'll speed up the game or not, to set the players...
Old January 5, 2004, 12:27   #150
Iron Jackson
C3CDG Blood Oath Horde
Prince

Mixing it up might not be bad. For example, I´m playing along with Paddy and 2 other guys from Europe in another PBEM. Usually Paddy gets the save from us in the evening hours (european time). That´s in the morning for him. I get the save from him then, and play my turn usually in the morning (european time). Save rolls through europe during the day, and sometimes we manage even a second full turn a day.