Harovan
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty PythonC4DG Gathering Storm
Civ4: Colonization Content Editor

Local Time: 15:54
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by ADG
Yep, it was backslash I ment... isn't backslash = / ???
No, these are slashes.
Harovan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9, 2004, 10:45   #212
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

Local Time: 08:54
Yeah my email is me at msn or yahoo .com
GhengisFarb™ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9, 2004, 12:47   #213
Wittlich
lifer
Call to Power II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCivilization III PBEMPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameC3CDG EuphoricaIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG United Dungeon DwellersDiploGamesC4BtSDG TemplarsPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 07:54
Like Sir Ralph stated:

A Slash (or Forwardslash, if you will) is "/"
A Backslash is "\"

And I too am not to sure about this whole ftp thing. I ADSL so I'm not bothered with download times.
Old January 9, 2004, 12:53   #214
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

Local Time: 16:54
It's not the download times that's annoying (On a 1024/512 myself), it's the clicking: To download a file, click here, wait some more, click here, wait some more, click (bla bla bla), click here then finally you may download... and basicly it's the same with sending a file...
Old January 9, 2004, 16:37   #215
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Octavian X
I'd go for 1.12 for the moment, as it's proven to be bug-free, more or less. Thoughts?
I haven't installed any patches... the only patch I can find is a 1.12 beta
Is that the one?
Old January 9, 2004, 17:03   #216
BigFree
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III MultiplayerPtWDG RoleplayCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCivilization III Democracy GameCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG CalysiumBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG SarantiumPtWDG2 SunshineC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by ADG
It's not the download times that's annoying (On a 1024/512 myself), it's the clicking: To download a file, click here, wait some more, click here, wait some more, click (bla bla bla), click here then finally you may download... and basicly it's the same with sending a file...
If you are using web based email, that may be true for some. I for one don't. My email is fast and convenient.
BigFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9, 2004, 17:08   #217
Wittlich
lifer
Call to Power II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCivilization III PBEMPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameC3CDG EuphoricaIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG United Dungeon DwellersDiploGamesC4BtSDG TemplarsPolyCast Team
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by ADG

I haven't installed any patches... the only patch I can find is a 1.12 beta
Is that the one?
Yep. That's the one.
Old January 9, 2004, 19:12   #218
predesad
Civilization III PBEM
Warlord

I also prefer the email in attachment (or should that be attachment in an email) instead of the ftp

i have a yahoo account, cable internet, & find it's not too much of a problem to attach or download an attachment, yea, maybe it is a 4 or 5 step process, but at least w/ my own email i can handle the saves like all my other games, i prefer consistency
predesad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9, 2004, 22:12   #219
Rommel2D
staff
Civilization III PBEMIron Civers

Local Time: 09:54
Quote:
Originally posted by Paddy the Scot
How secure is the FTP site from others opening your files?
I do not remember actively using one.
That's what the passwords are for, right? BTW, does anyone know if they ever fixed the bug that lets you into the next player's turn without the password?

Somewhere, my point about the ftp site was lost. Turns should be sent and reported just like any other PBEM game. The issue here is making the turn available to the ref in the event of a player going AWOL. Once someone points out that a player is past their 24 hour limit, the previous player must resend the turn to the ref. We're talking about a lag noticing the current players tardiness, a lag notifing the previous player, and a lag for the ref to receive and play the turn. I'm guessing a 24 hour limit will probably result in a 48 or 72 hour delay after all this.

Sending a copy of every turn to Octavian X will eliminate the middle step. Uploading to a website would do the same, plus allow for someone else to take care of it for Octavian if he's unavailable. I was thinking it would be better to just establish a method to promote a faster pace of play and make it routine from the start, but perhaps we should just play and see how bad the problems we actually have with delays are?

I'd prefer a third party doing the refing. It would be more 'professional', along the lines of Sir Ralph's suggestions for scenario setup. From what Octavian last posted:
Quote:
The final map (all sizes were set to tiny ) is complete.
I'm not sure if we are using the same map for all games or not. If it is just one, we obviously can't use players from other games.
Old January 10, 2004, 00:00   #220
Beta
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III MultiplayerPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III PBEMPtWDG2 MonkeyC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamIron CiversCivilization IV PBEMCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamBtS Tri-LeaguePolyCast TeamDiploGamesInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC4DG SarantiumC4WDG CalysiumC4BtSDG TemplarsC3CDG Team Babylon
Deity

Local Time: 10:54
I read the start and the end of this thread. Not sure if you have a full slate of players yet.

If not - I am interested.
Old January 10, 2004, 12:30   #221
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

MAYBE we can get a 5th game up, making the final a game with 5 players!?!

But that requires 2 more players...

What do you other gues think? Should we do this or not?
Old January 10, 2004, 12:35   #222
smellymummy
King

Local Time: 06:54
it would have to be four players for a tiny map like the others
smellymummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10, 2004, 12:47   #223
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

Yeah, but didn't someone else earlier also ask if there were any more spots?

EDIT:

Yep:

Quote:
Originally posted by SAMUEL2904
Hi, can I play?
Old January 10, 2004, 12:48   #224
predesad
Civilization III PBEM
Warlord

i say keep going & adding games as players come along. if the final ends up w/ an odd number of players then it would probably need to be on a small instead of tiny map. But who knows, maybe enough players will keep joining that we'll end up doubling the size of the tourney (to 32) and add a complete round. Perhaps we should try recruiting some players to make this possible.
Old January 10, 2004, 12:54   #225
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

Fine with me
Old January 10, 2004, 13:01   #226
Wittlich
lifer
Deity

Sounds good to me too.
Old January 10, 2004, 16:02   #227
Rommel2D
staff

[ADG, you might want to copy the game brackets into your first post to give new readers an idea of where we stand.]

Ok, now I'm getting lost. The tournement seemed to be floundering with too many possibilites so we settled on the all 4 player games idea. It should make for relatively quick games (emphasis on relatively) without losing the flavor of multiplayer Civ.

As it stands, we have to wait for all 4 first round games to finish before starting the final. I'll be suprised if we finish that before Civ4 is released. Since the whole tournement will move at the pace of the slowest first round game, I don't really want to have a fifth or sixth late-starting game added into the mix.

If we ever actually get this started and it proves to be fun, more people will no doubt continue to show interest. We can start a second, concurrent tournement at any time, building on the experience from this one. But how about keeping the first one simple and seeing if we have a shot at finishing it?
Old January 10, 2004, 16:19   #228
BigFree
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III MultiplayerPtWDG RoleplayCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCivilization III Democracy GameCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG CalysiumBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG SarantiumPtWDG2 SunshineC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Deity

I'm sorry, but if we wait long enough to get this started, then we could end up playing with 100 entrants.

Beta, SAMUEL2904 and whom ever else asked, I don't think it's wise to keep adding in players. We need to have a deadline here. I do not have the final say in any of this and I will go along with what the others want. (others=majority)
BigFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10, 2004, 16:37   #229
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

So is this now dead? What happened I thought we were just waiting on Donut Boy to start up the games and email them to the first players?
GhengisFarb™ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10, 2004, 16:50   #230
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

The start wont be pushed back because we might get more players into the game. The first 4 games will start whenever Octavian X gets the time to start them (He was still missing some passwords for two of the games).
IF we get enough players for a 5th game, this game will start at that point. A few weeks after the 4th game has been started, no more submissions will be accepted.

Oh, and something else: What should happen if a player who's close to winning one of the games, but has to get out of the game, then he has to get a replacement, but what if the replacement wins? Should the replacement go to the finals? -Or the player who ended on 2nd place (With score)?
Old January 10, 2004, 16:58   #231
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Rommel2D
[ADG, you might want to copy the game brackets into your first post to give new readers an idea of where we stand.]

Done
Old January 10, 2004, 17:07   #232
Harovan
staff

My vote is: Let players join till the first games are in the AD's (later would be bad). Let the new players wait till a tiny game (4 players) is complete and then start. After the player list is closed (games entered the AD's), we decide what to do. I'd say, if it are 4 games, make a tiny final for place 1-4 and a final for place 5-8. If it are 5 (or 6) games, make a small final for place 1-5 (or 1-6), and a small final for place 6-10 (or 7-12). When 7 or 8 games, make standard finals. I don't think there will be more than 32 players (8 games), but if there will, we'd have to introduce semifinals then.
Old January 10, 2004, 17:11   #233
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

Semifinals would probably be a bad idea, otherwise we wont have the finals before Civ4 has been released
Old January 10, 2004, 18:10   #234
predesad
Civilization III PBEM
Warlord

civ4 will be a long time away, lets not worry about it interfering in our tournament and just enjoy this tourney

what i proposed about doubling the size of the tourney would not work anyway because the final game would have only had 2 players, we'd have to get 64 to get another whole round.

instead, why not try starting a second tournament, this one is starting right now, consider it closed. When / if additional players want to join put them in a second tournament set up the same as this one. to ensure that there will be enough players to complete this second tournament, allow players who have been eliminated from the first tournament in the first round to join it.
Old January 11, 2004, 01:36   #235
Rommel2D
staff

Quote:
Originally posted by predesad
civ4 will be a long time away, lets not worry about it interfering in our tournament and just enjoy this tourney
My concerns about Civ4 were meant to be more figurative. If we make this 3 rounds, most people will probably lose interest long before it gets near the end, whatever the reason. These programs become dated fast.

Quote:
instead, why not try starting a second tournament, this one is starting right now, consider it closed.
Seconded...
Old January 11, 2004, 01:53   #236
Rommel2D
staff

Quote:
Originally posted by ADG
The start wont be pushed back because we might get more players into the game.
The start of the first round won't be, but the final might. Also, the more players in the championship game, the longer it will take.

Quote:
Oh, and something else: What should happen if a player who's close to winning one of the games, but has to get out of the game, then he has to get a replacement, but what if the replacement wins? Should the replacement go to the finals? -Or the player who ended on 2nd place (With score)?
I think a replacement is a replacement. If they win, they win.

How will we find replacements? Keep a waiting list of players who show interest after we start? With 16 or more players, its pretty likely a few won't make it to the end of the first round. Or should we just take whoever responds to a forum request first at the time?

[edit: grammar clarification]

Last edited by Rommel2D; January 13, 2004 at 14:14.
Rommel2D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11, 2004, 01:57   #237
predesad
Civilization III PBEM
Warlord

Quote:
My concerns about Civ4 were meant to be more figurative.
yes, of course, it was not intended to be a totally serious remark, but it does have a valid point. it seemed for minute some people were getting a little agitated by the possibility of yet another delay, your comment about civ 4 was not the only one, i was trying, albeit rather feebly, to make some light humor and say 'lets just play'
Old January 11, 2004, 06:54   #238
CerberusIV
lifer
C4WDG United Dungeon DwellersC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

A 16 player, 4 games and then a final tournament is possible in a reasonable time. So let's get on and do it. More than that is too complicated for PBEM.

As for replacements - a simple proposal, if the game is past 10AD you have to resign. Up to then someone can replace you. If someone drops out in the final the player who came second in their first game is offered the chance to take over. After 10AD in the final it should be no replacements - you have to resign.

Does anyone have a problem with doing it that way?
Old January 11, 2004, 07:37   #239
Conqueror
PtWDG Gathering StormCivilization III PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerApolyton UniversityC3CDG Ankh-Morpork
King

Re: C3C PBEM Tournament
Quote:
Originally posted by ADG
but we need two more players for a 5th game.
Only one now I'll offer myself as third guy in game 5.

Quote:
Game 5:
Beta
SAMUEL2904
Conqueror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11, 2004, 07:56   #240
Harovan
staff

Quote:
Originally posted by CerberusIV
As for replacements - a simple proposal, if the game is past 10AD you have to resign. Up to then someone can replace you. If someone drops out in the final the player who came second in their first game is offered the chance to take over. After 10AD in the final it should be no replacements - you have to resign.
Good solution.