Old December 29, 2003, 17:20   #271
Imran Siddiqui
staff
Apolytoners Hall of FameAge of Nations TeamPolyCast Team

Local Time: 10:55
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Quote:
he might be interested in coming back if the situation was right.
Code for: Spurrier money?

And I think that also means it'd have be a team where the pieces were in place.
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
- John 13:34-35 (NRSV)
Old December 29, 2003, 17:23   #272
Ming
lifer
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerPolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Retired

Local Time: 09:55
I think it had to do more with if a team had an interest in an old coach. His comments after Florida won the WS showed that his interest in getting back into coaching was based on the success of another coach thought to be "over the hill". Up until then, he kept denying he had any interest in ever coaching again.
Old December 29, 2003, 17:24   #273
Sava
PolyCast Team
Emperor

YAY D1CK JAURON IS GONE
as I reported in another thread (it's such good news it deserves it's own thread but WHATVER )

oh god, dopey MIKE NORTH is going on and on about how this is a bad call. Mike North is a radio talking head on a local Chicago sports talk station WSCR "the score". He's an absolute moron. His biggest accomplishment before sports talk was being a hot dog vendor. But now, he makes six figures on the Score. I don't get it.

This dope is going on and on about how Jauron is great.

Here are his points:

1. Jauron is good because Bill Callahan, Jim Fossell, Dan Reeves, and John Gruden all had bad years.

2. Jauron is not responsible for his record because his assistants are bad. But, Mike says, so called GOOD COACHES, like **** Vermeil and Bill Parcells are only good because their assistants?? HUH?? WHAT?? Tell me if that makes sense. And by the way, isn't the coach responsible for his assistants?

3. The players were playing hard under Jauron. They sure played hard in the 31-3 loss against Kansas City didn't they? They sure played hard when they started the season 1-5 didn't they? By the way, don't you think GETTING PAID MILLIONS OF DOLLARS is incentive enough to play hard? If it isn't, than the players need to go.

4. Jauron is better than Wannstedt. Wait a minute... didn't Dave Wannstedt win a playoff game? Didn't Dave Wannstedt have two winning seasons? Sure, Wanny isn't a great coach, but he did a better job with the Bears, despite having WORSE talent.

5. North was comparing the Bears defense to the Kansas City defense. Kansas city had more sacks and more interceptions... maybe that's why they are better? NO MIKE KANSAS CITY HAS ONE OF THE WORST DEFENSES IN THE LEAGUE. DEAD LAST IN RUN DEFENSE. Kansas City is good because of their offense... SOMETHING D1CK JAURON SUCKS AT!!! OFFENSE!!!

6. Jerry Angelo, according to North, is a failure. He's failed with one coach, according to North. But wait... ANGELO HASN'T HAD A CHANCE TO HIRE A COACH. He got stuck with Jauron after the LUCKY 13-3 season.

I needed to rant. More to follow.
Old December 29, 2003, 17:24   #274
yavoon
Warlord

Local Time: 14:55
bears should go get dennis green.

and its a crime against humanity that mcginnis is getting fired. obviously its just the natural turnover for bill bidwell. but still. he rocked so many upsets w/ like nothing.
Old December 29, 2003, 17:26   #275
Sava
PolyCast Team
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by -Jrabbit
Maybe Arizona will fire Dave McGiniss and we'll finally get him. (He was the original choice over Jauron until McCaskey screwed it up.)
today on teh Score (chicago sports radio) Dan Bernstein reported that McGiniss's choice for offensive coordinator has MIKE MARTZ... .OOPSwe got D1ck Jauron and Joh nShoop instead. YIPPIY!
Quote:

Actually, the classic Bears move would be to hire Singletary.
not ready yet...
Quote:
My choice? Marv Levy.
too old...

I'd prefer an offensive guy... I'm not sure yet about who.
Old December 29, 2003, 17:27   #276
Imran Siddiqui
staff

Quote:
His biggest accomplishment before sports talk was being a hot dog vendor. But now, he makes six figures on the Score. I don't get it.
I get it. I didn't even know who this North guy was a few months ago, but all the Chicago fans talking about him have made me aware of the guy. This is PR you simply cannot buy!!
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
Old December 29, 2003, 17:30   #277
Ming
lifer
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerPolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Retired

True... as the saying goes... any PR is good PR

Mike North is the kind of guy you either love or hate. He's a loud, over opinionated jerk... the perfect kind of guy for sports radio.

But Sava is right about one thing... he went from being a Hot Dog Vendor to sports talk radio... he's a moron.
Old December 29, 2003, 17:32   #278
Imran Siddiqui
staff

Quote:
and its a crime against humanity that mcginnis is getting fired. obviously its just the natural turnover for bill bidwell. but still. he rocked so many upsets w/ like nothing.
I agree. McGinnis did all he humanly could to make that crappy team win a few games. I mean that team has BY FAR the least talent of any in the league. Any team that gets McGinnis is gonna have a great coach.

Oh, and on the other side, the Bills firing of Gregg Williams was a VERY good move.

Rumor has it when/if Callahan is fired, he wants to go back to being Gruden's offensive coordinator.
Old December 29, 2003, 17:33   #279
Imran Siddiqui
staff

Quote:
Mike North is the kind of guy you either love or hate. He's a loud, over opinionated jerk... the perfect kind of guy for sports radio.

But Sava is right about one thing... he went from being a Hot Dog Vendor to sports talk radio... he's a moron.
But as you said, he gets people talking about him. That's why he's got his cushy job. If people didn't think he was such a moron (or loved him, on the other side), you wouldn't have the numbers.
Old December 29, 2003, 17:35   #280
Sava
PolyCast Team
Emperor

oh yeah, Mike North's two favorite presidents: Dubya and Reagan WHAT A MORON!
Old December 29, 2003, 17:35   #281
yavoon
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
Quote:
I agree. McGinnis did all he humanly could to make that crappy team win a few games. I mean that team has BY FAR the least talent of any in the league. Any team that gets McGinnis is gonna have a great coach.

Oh, and on the other side, the Bills firing of Gregg Williams was a VERY good move.

Rumor has it when/if Callahan is fired, he wants to go back to being Gruden's offensive coordinator.
callahan wouldn't be a bad idea for the bears to hire either. he will get better at controlling his team(hopefully). and he's pretty damn smart offensively. and his old job was offensive line coach. which of course the bears lack.
Old December 29, 2003, 17:39   #282
Imran Siddiqui
staff

After this year, I don't know if Callahan wants the head coach job anywhere!

Jim Johnson, def coord with the Eagles, may be a good choice to go after.
Old December 29, 2003, 17:41   #283
yavoon
Warlord

Quote:
After this year, I don't know if Callahan wants the head coach job anywhere!

neway sufficed to say I don't think jauron was the virus that has inflicted the bears. so removing him is like a misdirection act.

still there are better coaches, so they can upgrade.
Old December 29, 2003, 17:46   #284
Imran Siddiqui
staff

Quote:
I don't think jauron was the virus that has inflicted the bears
I agree. They have bigger holes to fill, IMO. Unless they can get a GOOD head coach, it'll be a silly move, IMO. If they fill the spot with some no name, then there was no point in getting rid of Jauron.
Old December 29, 2003, 18:20   #285
rah
lifer
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Just another peon

I'm betting on Levy.

And you're right Imran, if they don't try to bring in a Good Coach, they should have just stuck with Jaronhead.
Old December 29, 2003, 18:20   #286
Ming
lifer
Retired

Quote:
Unless they can get a GOOD head coach, it'll be a silly move, IMO. If they fill the spot with some no name, then there was no point in getting rid of Jauron.
I agree... if they are going to go out and get yet ANOTHER average no big name coach, I would rather have kept Jauron.

Because a rookie head coach will probably be yet another year of excuses... and wait until next year crap... Not many coaches can come in and turn things around in a single year.
Old December 29, 2003, 18:37   #287
-Jrabbit
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II MultiplayerMacCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization II Succession Games
Deity

I just had a horrible thought --

The exact combination of
"marginally qualified/NFL experience"
+ "knows the team"
+ "reasonably priced"
+ "company man"
=
Greg Blache !!

"The Borg are gay." -Drake Tungsten
Old December 29, 2003, 18:48   #288
-Jrabbit
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II MultiplayerMacCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization II Succession Games
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by rah
I'm betting on Levy.
"Hoping" I would understand.

"Betting????" Not with my money! Makes too much sense.

"The Borg are gay." -Drake Tungsten
Old December 29, 2003, 18:55   #289
Imran Siddiqui
staff

Quote:
I agree... if they are going to go out and get yet ANOTHER average no big name coach, I would rather have kept Jauron.
And if they are hiring someone who is Jauron-like, it would make more sense to keep Jauron for stability of systems for the young players (but get rid of Shoop for God's sake ).

Then again, if the Bears kept Washington and got them a better QB than Stewart, maybe Jauron has a much better year .
Old December 29, 2003, 19:05   #290
Ned
King

Local Time: 06:55
Firing **** Jauron is a travesty. Management saddled him with the worst quarterback in football and asked him to win. The people who ought to be fired are the people who hired Stewart.

Next year, the Bears to go to have a good team because they are going to have Rex Grossman and the other Bear rookies playing for the entire year. However, they will not have Jauron and could still screw it up if they hire a novice coach with no proven track record.

I have no confidence in the Bear management. Fire them!
Old December 29, 2003, 19:06   #291
Imran Siddiqui
staff

Hey Ned, didn't you say the Bears could make the playoffs like two months back?
Old December 29, 2003, 19:43   #292
Brundlefly
Prince

Quote:

SF had an interview lined up with him last year and he cancelled when the Eagles came along and signed him to a multiyear contract. So he's not going anywhere. He's said to not be interested in head coach job as he is getting up there in years. Offensive coordinator Brad Childress is expected to get some interviews this year,
Old December 29, 2003, 19:44   #293
Imran Siddiqui
staff

Bah... take Jim Mora, Jr. instead of Childress.
Old December 29, 2003, 19:46   #294
TCO
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 04:55
Somebody analyze the Washington situation for me please.
Old December 29, 2003, 19:47   #295
Imran Siddiqui
staff

Spurrier may leave. He hasn't decided. He probably won't be fired. But if he leaves who knows who Snyder will buy.
Old December 29, 2003, 19:54   #296
TCO
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 04:55
where would spurrier go? How good is the talent on the team?
Old December 29, 2003, 20:24   #297
Imran Siddiqui
staff

Spurrier ::shrug::. He could probably get any college job he wanted. Maybe he wants to turn around Nebraska . Or maybe he wants to take a break for a bit.

The team... eh.. The LB corps are really good. The secondary sucks aside from Bailey. The defensive line needs help.

Offensively, Ramsey may be good, he was average this year. They dealt their best offensive weapon in the offseason in Stephen Davis (for reasons I STILL don't get), and so their running game is baaad. Coles and Gardner make up a very good WR tandem. They may want to pick up an OL in the later rounds in the draft as well.

I think this year they'll try to get a CB or RB in the 1st round.
Old December 29, 2003, 20:27   #298
Ned
King

Quote:
Hey Ned, didn't you say the Bears could make the playoffs like two months back?
I thought they were good enough to win out. But it turns out that that they still are not good enough to beat the best on their home turf. That does not mean the Bears with the new talent and Grossman are not a playoff-caliber team.
Old December 29, 2003, 20:34   #299
Imran Siddiqui
staff

Quote:
I thought they were good enough to win out. But it turns out that that they still are not good enough to beat the best on their home turf. That does not mean the Bears with the new talent and Grossman are not a playoff-caliber team.
Yep, any team with the right NEW TALENT can be a playoff-caliber team. I simply don't think the talent the Bears will get that right new talent.
Old December 29, 2003, 20:45   #300
Ned
King

Imran, I was referring to the current crop of rookies. With this team the Bears can make the playoffs next year if they had Jauron. If they pick a bad coach, like they have the past, they can really screw up next season.