Old December 29, 2003, 20:50   #301
Imran Siddiqui
staff
Apolytoners Hall of FameAge of Nations TeamPolyCast Team

Local Time: 10:55
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Quote:
With this team the Bears can make the playoffs next year if they had Jauron.
That's doubtful. They need a DT BADLY, or the defense will just continue to be in the lower half of the league. They also need some OL as well.
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
- John 13:34-35 (NRSV)
Old December 29, 2003, 20:58   #302
yavoon
Warlord

Local Time: 14:55
the bears are going to need a good offensive scheme. cause they simply have no star on offense. even though they seem to be collecting a respectable amount of talent in the lower regions.
Old December 29, 2003, 21:01   #303
Imran Siddiqui
staff

I think they need an offensive lineman, either in the 1st, 2nd, or 3rd rounds and run A-Train more often. Go to a run based offense and let Grossman work towards more play actions.
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
Old December 29, 2003, 21:02   #304
yavoon
Warlord

Local Time: 14:55
Quote:
Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
I think they need an offensive lineman, either in the 1st, 2nd, or 3rd rounds and run A-Train more often. Go to a run based offense and let Grossman work towards more play actions.
probably a decent idea. but I dont think A-train is all that big of a stud. he's a 1000 yard back from what I can see. so ur going to base ur offense around someone who isn't going to make any pro bowls?
Old December 29, 2003, 21:05   #305
Imran Siddiqui
staff

Well A-Train had a 4.2 rushing average this year and 4.3 in 2001, which isn't bad. Of course in 2002, he had 3.4. However, I think you cannot base the offense on Grossman. Not yet.

I think A-Train can go for 1,300 yards if you get some new OLmen and focus on the run.
Old December 29, 2003, 21:17   #306
Imran Siddiqui
staff

Oh, for all the Bears fans... the team just EXTENDED Angelo's contract for 5 years .
Old December 29, 2003, 21:23   #307
Ned
King

Local Time: 06:55
Gag!
Old December 29, 2003, 21:24   #308
Ming
lifer
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerPolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Retired

Local Time: 09:55
We know... they extended his and the contract of the teams President Ted Phillips... at least Ted got the new stadium... that's far more than Angelo has ever done except to supply Jauron with a crappy team
Old December 29, 2003, 21:26   #309
Imran Siddiqui
staff

I'm still trying to figure out why Washington was let go... Urlacher needs the big DTs.
Old December 29, 2003, 21:29   #310
Ming
lifer
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerPolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Retired

It was a money issue... they "felt" they had the talent to get along with out him, and that he wouldn't make it through the season.... That's the official line.

Granted, he didn't make it through the season... but the talent wasn't there to replace him, and it was just a screw Jauron move... all part of the master plan. Which came to it's peak today with his extension, and Jauron's firing.
Old December 29, 2003, 21:30   #311
Sava
PolyCast Team
Emperor

The bears might have been able to make the playoffs next year with Jauron... but that isn't good enough. Jauron wasn't going to win any playoff games, Jauron wasn't going to win a Super Bowl.... dumb fans are content with mediocrity, I'm not... I'll take a losing season next year if it gets the Bears on the path to a super bowl. Perennial playoff appearances don't mean **** unless you win the Super Bowl.
Old December 29, 2003, 21:31   #312
Imran Siddiqui
staff

Well now everyone in Chicago seems why a BIG DT is needed (or two), so your All-Pro MLB can roam the field.
Old December 29, 2003, 21:34   #313
Ming
lifer
Retired

I agree with most of what you say... Jauron probably could have gotten to the playoffs next year... but as he proved yesterday, he isn't a genius, and he sure as hell isn't too smart under preasure. My fear is that we will get a losing season next year, and have the same type of head coach who is no better than Jauron... and we will hear how we have to be patient again... They better bring in SOMEBODY good... or all they did was start the lossing again that much sooner. If that's the case, I would rather have kept Jauron.
Old December 29, 2003, 21:35   #314
Imran Siddiqui
staff

The irony is that it'll probably be Fassel .
Old December 29, 2003, 21:39   #315
Ming
lifer
Retired

I would rather have Jauron... I'd rather have the loveable idiot than the moronic jerk
Old December 29, 2003, 21:45   #316
Ned
King

What about that color commentator on FOX's NFL show? Jimmy Johnson.
Old December 29, 2003, 21:46   #317
Imran Siddiqui
staff

You don't want him. You saw what happened in Miami. He'd NEVER co-exist with Angelo.
Old December 29, 2003, 21:46   #318
Ned
King

Or, bring back the Coach!
Old December 29, 2003, 21:49   #319
Ming
lifer
Retired

The current owners hate the coach... Halas senior brought him in... and after his death, the family got rid of him as soon as they could. At least he got us our Super Bowl before they managed it.
Old December 29, 2003, 22:03   #320
Sava
PolyCast Team
Emperor

plus, Ditka proved in New Orleans that he lost it...

I am just going to wait and see, there aren't any real candidates that blow my skirt up...
Old December 29, 2003, 23:20   #321
Drake Tungsten
Deity

Ditka!

Seriously, that would be freaking awesome. Saturday Night Live would be infinitely better after Ditka's return, for example, and that's just one of the myriad of benefits.
Old December 29, 2003, 23:21   #322
Imran Siddiqui
staff

Yeah, and I think the Giants are first in line for New England's Defensive Coordinator. The Bears may be talking to Coughlin soon.
Old December 29, 2003, 23:21   #323
Drake Tungsten
Deity

Quote:
I am just going to wait and see, there aren't any real candidates that blow my skirt up...
You guys can have Frank Solich...
Old December 30, 2003, 09:59   #324
-Jrabbit
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II MultiplayerMacCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization II Succession Games
Deity

Spurrier situation (from John clayton of ESPN) --
He and Snyder are on the outs, but are held together by the 3 yr/$15MM left on his contract. snyder wants change, so that means asst. coaches shuffle. Per Clayton, Spurrier's going golfing for a week or two to let Snyder settle down, then come back and decline to make any staff changes (his right according to contract). Spurrier's goal is reportedly to p1ss Snyder off enough that he's offered a good buyout.

"The Borg are gay." -Drake Tungsten
Old December 30, 2003, 10:11   #325
Imran Siddiqui
staff

Quote:
Spurrier's goal is reportedly to p1ss Snyder off enough that he's offered a good buyout.
If anyone can do it .
Old December 30, 2003, 10:23   #326
-Jrabbit
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II MultiplayerMacCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization II Succession Games
Deity

Personally, I agree with the Jauron firing.

His in-game coaching and clock management would be an embarrassment on the high school level. His loyalty to his staff (John Shoop) at the expense of the team is unforgiveable. His inability to accurately evaluate and deploy talent is legendary (Urlacher at SAM LB, superior rookies rotting on the bench, taking YEARS to figure out that Azumah was his missing kick returner, etc etc).

Yes, he has his positives -- a fine motivator, very intelligent, an honorable man, and, uhhhh....... good hair?

Yes, I think the Bears would likely make the playoffs next year with him at the helm. And we'd likely be drubbed in the first round again.
So why bother?

I agree with Sava. ( ) Let's think Super Bowl. And a good coach will still make a playoff run with the same talent.
Plus, the continuity would be forward-going.
Plus, he'd have the support of Angelo.

Do I have confidence the Bears will hire such a coach?
No.
Do I think Angelo is a strong GM?
Not really. I think he's a snake, but he's clearly got the power, so I'll judge the new "5 year plan" on its merits.

Yesterday, Angelo said NFL head coaching experience is "not a requirement" in his considerations. He also said the decision on a new coach would be "solely" his.

Summary: Change is scary, but the Chicago Bears need it.

Old December 30, 2003, 11:33   #327
Ming
lifer
Retired

Quote:
Originally posted by -Jrabbit
Yesterday, Angelo said NFL head coaching experience is "not a requirement" in his considerations. He also said the decision on a new coach would be "solely" his.

Summary: Change is scary, but the Chicago Bears need it.
Summary:
The Bears owners are cheap
Head Coaching experience isn't needed
The GM is the MAN IN CHARGE = The Coach must be a company guy

Conclussion: Another Jauron type coach
Old December 30, 2003, 11:48   #328
Brundlefly
Prince

Hey, do you think there is anyway that we could all participate together in one of those 10 x 10 grid pools here for the playoffs? You know, the ones where you pick a square for $5 and then when all of the squares are filled, you place numbers 0-9 randomly along x & y axis. X & Y are the two teams playing. Your square is the intersection of two numbers. If the last number of each teams score at the end of the game represents the numbers for your square, you win.

So maybe we could use an online escrow account as the kitty, and have someone trustworthy like Ming to pick the random numbers.
Old December 30, 2003, 12:18   #329
-Jrabbit
Deity

I just heard on ESPN Radio that the Bears have asked for, and received, permission to interview Lovie Smith.

Old December 30, 2003, 13:03   #330
Brundlefly
Prince

Nevermind about the pool idea. I could make the grid thing work, but it would be too complicated to sort out the finances....