Old December 29, 2003, 10:58   #241
-Jrabbit
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II MultiplayerMacCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization II Succession Games
Deity

Local Time: 09:55
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by JohnT
They've beaten Minny?
Nicely done, JohnT!

I have NO sympathy -- or respect -- for the ViQueens.

Any team with that much talent -- and a 6-0 head start -- and throws it away like that -- deserves what they get. In this case, a long vacation. Red McCombs should clean house -- starting with himself. I'm pleased and proud that the Bears could contribute to their embarrassment.

"The Borg are gay." -Drake Tungsten
Old December 29, 2003, 11:16   #242
JohnT
lifer
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 10:55
The other team to go 6-0 and miss the playoffs was the 1978 Redskins.
Old December 29, 2003, 11:27   #243
JohnT
lifer
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Walker's NFL totals:

Rushing: 8,225
Receiving: 4,859
Kickoff Returns: 4,968

18,052 total NFL yards, all past his 24th birthday. Yeah, Imran, he really sucked.
Old December 29, 2003, 11:30   #244
JohnT
lifer
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

I think Limbaugh might have found a new calling - team turner-arounder.
Old December 29, 2003, 11:50   #245
Brundlefly
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by JohnT
I think Limbaugh might have found a new calling - team turner-arounder.
I think the turnaround was due more a combination of McNabb getting 100% healthy and Reid's modification of the West Coast offensive scheme to incorporate play-action to take advantage of McNabb's athletic ability and playmaking skills. The emergence of Brian Westbrook did not hurt either.
Old December 29, 2003, 11:50   #246
reismark
NationStatesApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Well, looks like I'll be rooting for the AFC this year. The only team in the NFC playoffs that I can stomach is the Seahawks, and they drew the Assignment of Death in having to go to Lambeau to face the Hottest Team in the National Football League Not Named the New England Patriots thanks to Minnesota's complete ineptitude.

Quick pick: A replay of two years ago - Patriots over Rams.

No surprise to me that my boys gave up on this one after that completely demoralizing loss last week. And no matter: We'll get healthy and we'll be back.

Reminder to Lombardi players: All playoff picks will take place on the POOL MESSAGE BOARD AT CBS. Look for the spreads and such there, probably sometime tomorrow.
Head Coach/General Manager, Kyrandia Dragonhawks (2004 Apolyton Fantasy Football League Champions)
Old December 29, 2003, 11:52   #247
Brundlefly
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by reismark

No surprise to me that my boys gave up on this one after that completely demoralizing loss last week. And no matter: We'll get healthy and we'll be back.
Cutting Keyshawn probably cost TB a playoff appearance, but it was the right thing to do.
Old December 29, 2003, 12:01   #248
Stuie
King

Quote:
Originally posted by bfg9000

The emergence of Brian Westbrook did not hurt either.
Now the question is how will losing him effect their offense? Buckhalter and Staley are gonna have to turn it up a notch, but their offense shouldn't suffer too much.

I'm more worried about their battered defense. Losing Emmons may actually be the worse injury of the last few weeks.

But the Eagles have home field the whole way - THANKS DETROIT!!!
Old December 29, 2003, 12:17   #249
Imran Siddiqui
staff
Apolytoners Hall of FameAge of Nations TeamPolyCast Team

Quote:
Yeah, Imran, he really sucked.
What a strawman . Unless you seem to think that I believe Lewis sucks. Seeing that I consider Lewis to be best running back in years (yes, I think he's better than Emmitt) - since Payton probably -, I don't see it.

Quote:
Losing Emmons may actually be the worse injury of the last few weeks.
Especially if the Eagles have to face Amman Green and the Packers in round 2. Better hope Dallas beats Carolina .
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
- John 13:34-35 (NRSV)
Old December 29, 2003, 12:55   #250
Ming
lifer
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerPolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Retired

Just in from the Chicago sports.com
Quote:
Bears bid farewell to Jauron
**** Jauron, 35-46 with only one winning season in five years as the Bears head coach, has been fired with one year remaining on his contract.
About time...
Old December 29, 2003, 12:56   #251
Brundlefly
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Stuie

I'm more worried about their battered defense. Losing Emmons may actually be the worse injury of the last few weeks.
I agree. He's arguably the defensive MVP on this team.. Saturday's game vs. Washington wasn't enough of a test for the defense. In past years Eagles playoff hopes were tied to defense's ability to hold the team so their average offense could score enough to win. It's all on the offense's shoulders this year. Because of severe defensive injuries, Eagles will need to rack up the points in anticipation of high point totals from playoff opponents.
Old December 29, 2003, 13:08   #252
Imran Siddiqui
staff

Quote:
About time...
To be fair, it seemed sometimes like Angelo was trying to deep six him. It ain't like Jauron was given help from the front office.

--

Playoff Predictions!

AFC:

Round 1:
Baltimore 20, Tennessee 14
Denver 35, Indianapolis 21

Round 2:
Denver 32, Kansas City 28
New England 14, Baltimore 10

Round 3:
New England 20, Denver 17

NFC:

Round 1:
Carolina 10, Dallas 7
Green Bay 24, Seattle 14

Round 2:
Philadelphia 28, Carolina 24
Green Bay 32, St. Louis 24

Round 3:
Green Bay 28, Philadelphia 14

Superbowl:
Green Bay 32, New England 30
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
Old December 29, 2003, 13:15   #253
Ming
lifer
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerPolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Retired

I'll be the first to admit that Angelo made some "interesting" moves at the start of the season that didn't help Jauron keep his job.

And I kind of like Jauron... he kept the team playing hard, and actually turned the team around this year.

But after watching the end of the 1st half yesterday... and then listening to the comments he made going into the locker room... He has made similar mistakes before in "clock management situations"... and his devotion to his offensive coordinator (while honorable) was moronic at best.

Hopefully the team will be able to build on what they accomplished in the second half of this year, instead of sliding back under a new head coach.

The problem is... the Bears won't go out and sign a "real" coach... so it looks like somebody will be getting their first NFL head coaching experience at the cost of the Bears... sigh.
Old December 29, 2003, 14:42   #254
Brundlefly
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui

Playoff Predictions!
Try again, Jimmy the Geek.

Philly plays the lowest-seeded survivor of the first round. So if your first round picks are Carolina & GB, they would play GB in second round - not Carolina.
Old December 29, 2003, 14:45   #255
-Jrabbit
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II MultiplayerMacCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization II Succession Games
Deity

The biggest surprise is that Angela actually has the power to fire Jauron -- something that many here doubted.

Who's the new hire? Well, that's the key question, and I disagree with Ming on this.

You gotta figure (or at least hope) that Angelo has a plan. He knows who's available. Long-time rumor has been that Nick Saban's his man, but Saban's about 5x more expensive than 3 years ago, and they've got to pay Jauron over $2MM to go away. Plus, Spurrier's bust kind of takes the shine off any college coach.

Smart money is on an experienced NFL coach -- an admittedly un-Bear-like move. But Angelo wants an extension (going into his last contract year as GM), and is smart enough (I HOPE) to tie his fate to a proven coach.

So far, all we've learned is that Angelo has real power. Here's hoping he knows how to use it.

The Short List -- Nick Saban, Dennis Green, Dan Reeves, Callahan, Fassell, Tom Coughlan, Barry Alvarez, Lovie Smith. Plus the usual Hot NFL Coordinator Pool.

Old December 29, 2003, 14:47   #256
Imran Siddiqui
staff

Quote:
Philly plays the lowest-seeded survivor of the first round. So if your first round picks are Carolina & GB, they would play GB in second round - not Carolina.
Oops... then make them lose to GB in the 2nd round.

Then GB beats StL in the NFC Championship.
Old December 29, 2003, 14:52   #257
Brundlefly
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Ming

The problem is... the Bears won't go out and sign a "real" coach... so it looks like somebody will be getting their first NFL head coaching experience at the cost of the Bears... sigh.
Andy Reid was the QB coach at GB when he was hired as head coach in Philly. Sometimes it can work out.

Thought the Bears finished strong with the exception of yesterday. Make Kordell a WR.
Old December 29, 2003, 14:56   #258
Imran Siddiqui
staff

Quote:
Long-time rumor has been that Nick Saban's his man, but Saban's about 5x more expensive than 3 years ago, and they've got to pay Jauron over $2MM to go away.
No way the Bears get Saban. Right now he is sitting pretty in LSU and has said that he'd only move to Miami... but Wannstedt isn't fired, so that's closed off. Saban stays where he is (he's been a rumored NFL coach since his days at Michigan State).

Lovie Smith seems to be the best fit at Atlanta, and I think Arthur Blank is going for that one.

Dennis Green may go for Chicago, but I see him going to Oakland when they can Callahan.

I think Reeves or Fassel will be the coach to take over in Chicago.
Old December 29, 2003, 15:03   #259
Imran Siddiqui
staff

Though for Bears fans, it could be worse... the Lions today just retained Matt Millen .
Old December 29, 2003, 15:20   #260
Brundlefly
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui

Lovie Smith seems to be the best fit at Atlanta, and I think Arthur Blank is going for that one.
Lovie. That name kills me. How often do you have to fight kids that tease you when you are a kid in grade school with the name "Lovie" ?
Old December 29, 2003, 15:22   #261
Imran Siddiqui
staff

Why do you think he became a big tough football player?
Old December 29, 2003, 15:31   #262
Jac de Molay
Prince

Local Time: 14:55
I think Wayne Fontes would a perfect fit for the Bears....
"Perhaps a new spirit is rising among us. If it is, let us trace its movements and pray that our own inner being may be sensitive to its guidance, for we are deeply in need of a new way beyond the darkness that seems so close around us." --MLK Jr.
Old December 29, 2003, 15:45   #263
Ming
lifer
Retired

People seem to be forgetting how truely cheap the Bears really are. Granted, they have no choice in at least paying the minimum of the players cap... but coaches aren't covered in that. They already owe Jauron 2.5 million or so for next year. I can't see them paying a Reeves or Fassel. (plus, Fassel is no better than Jauron was)
Old December 29, 2003, 15:46   #264
Imran Siddiqui
staff

Reeves isn't TOO expensive. Who knows, maybe they'll take Deion on his offer .
Old December 29, 2003, 15:49   #265
Brundlefly
Prince

I think Ditka is available. Or see if Buddy Ryan want to come out of retirement.
Old December 29, 2003, 15:52   #266
Imran Siddiqui
staff

Ditka! While they still may suck, they'll be a lot more interesting.
Old December 29, 2003, 16:48   #267
-Jrabbit
Deity

Maybe Arizona will fire Dave McGiniss and we'll finally get him. (He was the original choice over Jauron until McCaskey screwed it up.)

Actually, the classic Bears move would be to hire Singletary.

My choice? Marv Levy.

Old December 29, 2003, 17:10   #268
Ming
lifer
Retired

I hadn't even thought of Marv Levy. He's been great on the "SCORE" with his commentary... Rah mentioned him earlier when I talked to him. I agree he would be a great choice. He lives in Chicago now, and maybe they can get him cheap enough that they would consider him.
Old December 29, 2003, 17:13   #269
Imran Siddiqui
staff

Quote:
My choice? Marv Levy.
There is NO way he is coming back to football. He ain't like a Vermeil who needs to coach the game. He's perfectly content to stay out of the stadium.

And if he ever does come back, I'd think it would have to be with an established team that has a chance at the SuperBowl with minor work (like Miami). He wouldn't want to build up a team at his age (over 70).
Old December 29, 2003, 17:15   #270
Ming
lifer
Retired

Actually... he has been making noise on the local sports radio station (where he is one of their regular NFL experts) that he might be interested in coming back if the situation was right.