View Poll Results: What is your favorite Yang quotation?
Ideology/Ascetic Virtues quote 3 12.00%
Recycling Tanks quote 3 12.00%
Genejack Factory quote 3 12.00%
Biogenetics quote 0 0%
Monopole Magnets quote 1 4.00%
Polymorphic Software quote 0 0%
Probability Mehanics quote 5 20.00%
Planetary Networks quote 3 12.00%
Bio-Engineering quote 1 4.00%
The Virtual World quote 6 24.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Old December 20, 2003, 15:23   #1
Illuminatus
staff
Apolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization IV CreatorsACDG3 CMNsACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansC4WDG Team ApolytonAge of Nations TeamACDG3 Gaians
Provost

Local Time: 16:56
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Favorite Yang quotation
Which is our favorite musing of Chairman Sheng-Yi Yang?
Here is a complete list of his musings:

Ideology/Ascetic Virtues

Learn to overcome the crass demands of flesh and bone, for they warp the matrix through which we perceive the world. Extend your awareness outwards, beyond the self of body, to embrace the self of group and the self of humanity. The goals of the group and the greater race are transcendent, and to embrace them is to achieve enlightenment.

Chairman Sheng-Ji Yang, "Essays on Mind and Matter"

Biogenetics

We hold life to be sacred, but we also know the foundation of life consists in a stream of codes not so different from the successive frames of a watchvid. Why then cannot we cut one code short here, and start another there? Is life so fragile that it can withstand no tampering? Does the sacred brook no improvement?

Chairman Sheng-ji Yang, "Dynamics of Mind"

Monopole Magnets

I maintain nonetheless that yin-yang dualism can be overcome. With sufficient enlightenment we can give substance to any distinction: mind without body, north without south, pleasure without pain. Remember, enlightenment is a function of willpower, not of physical strength.

Chairman Sheng-ji Yang, "Essays on Mind and Matter"

Polymorphic Software

Technological advance is an inherently iterative process. One does not simply take sand from the beach and produce a Dataprobe. We use crude tools to fashion better tools, and then our better tools to fashion more precise tools, and so on. Each minor refinement is a step in the process, and all of the steps must be taken.

Chairman Sheng-ji Yang, "Looking God in the Eye"

Probability Mechanics

Einstein would turn over in his grave. Not only does God play dice, the dice are loaded.

Planetary Networks

If our society seems more nihilistic than that of previous eras, perhaps this is simply a sign of our maturity as a sentient species. As our collective consciousness expands beyond a crucial point, we are at last ready to accept life's fundamental truth: that life's only purpose is life itself.

Chairman Sheng-ji Yang,"Looking God in the Eye"

Bio-Engineering

Why do you insist that the human genetic code is "sacred" or "taboo"? It is a chemical process and nothing more. For that matter -we- are chemical processes and nothing more. If you deny yourself a useful tool simply because it reminds you uncomfortably of your mortality, you have uselessly and pointlessly crippled yourself.

The Virtual World

What do I care for your suffering? Pain, even agony, is no more than information before the senses, data fed to the computer of the mind. The lesson is simple: you have received the information, now act on it. Take control of the input and you shall become master of the output.

Recycling Tanks

It is every citizen's final duty to go into the tanks and become one with all the people.

Chairman Sheng-ji Yang, "Ethics for Tomorrow"

Genejack Factory

My gift to industry is the genetically engineered worker, or Genejack. Specially designed for labor, the Genejack's muscles and nerves are ideal for his task, and the cerebral cortex has been atrophied so that he can desire nothing except to perform his duties. Tyranny, you say? How can you tyrannize someone who cannot feel pain?

Last edited by Illuminatus; December 20, 2003 at 15:35.
Old December 20, 2003, 15:35   #2
Method
ACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 GaiansACDG3 MorganACDG3 SpartansAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNs
Emperor

Local Time: 11:56
genejack. go evil
Old December 20, 2003, 15:37   #3
Hippi
Chieftain

propability mech. I use it in my sig in other forums
Old December 20, 2003, 15:44   #4
Illuminatus
staff
Apolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization IV CreatorsACDG3 CMNsACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansC4WDG Team ApolytonAge of Nations TeamACDG3 Gaians
Provost

Ideology quote - my personal philosophy is almost identical as this quote.
Old December 20, 2003, 20:58   #5
Mr. President
MacSpanish CiversNationStatesNever Ending StoriesCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG Planet University of Technology
Emperor

Local Time: 00:56
Local Date: November 3, 2010
Genejack, or Probability Mechanics.
Old December 21, 2003, 09:53   #6
Enigma_Nova
C4DG The Mercenary Team
Emperor

Monopole magnets.
(Social Psych is my fave quote overall though)
Old December 21, 2003, 19:30   #7
Andemagne
Civilization II MultiplayerNationStatesCivilization II Succession GamesACDG3 Spartans
King

Virtual World.
Old December 21, 2003, 19:45   #8
Maniac
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyPolyCast TeamACDG3 Spartans

Virtual World.
Old December 22, 2003, 13:36   #9
CEO Aaron
ACDG3 Morgan
King

Local Time: 14:56
I would have to say that my favorite Yang quotation is the AGONIZED SHRIEKING he utters when I capture his last base, as he is locked away for all time in his own personal torture-bubble.
Old December 22, 2003, 14:19   #10
Frankychan
ACDG The Human HiveAlpha Centauri Democracy GameNationStatesAlpha Centauri PBEMApolyton Storywriters' Guild
King

Local Time: 04:56
Virtual World....it's the best.

Bah, CEO Aaron! Your just jealous that Mr. Morgan has never had a thread like this! Mwa-ha-ha-ha!
"...but what sane person would move from Hawaii to Indiana?" -Dis
Old December 22, 2003, 14:22   #11
Illuminatus
staff
Provost

Quote:
Originally posted by CEO Aaron
I would have to say that my favorite Yang quotation is the AGONIZED SHRIEKING he utters when I capture his last base, as he is locked away for all time in his own personal torture-bubble.
I guess that capitalists hate communists even more in the new world. But why put Yang in punishment sphere?
It is much more fun when a faction surrenders to you
Old December 22, 2003, 20:39   #12
Mr. President
MacSpanish CiversNationStatesNever Ending StoriesCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG Planet University of Technology
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by CEO Aaron
Bah! You must be doing something wrong. In my Morgan games, the Hive is always my ally.
Old December 22, 2003, 21:47   #13
Blake
lifer
PolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4DG Gathering StormCivilization IV CreatorsApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of Fame
Beyond the Sword AI Programmer

Local Time: 03:56
Why enslave Yang? He's not much good for commerce.

Altough I must admit Yang and Morgan do make good buddies. Sometimes as Morgan I run PS/FM/Knowledge to make a happy little Triad of Evil (Morgan, Yang, Zak)
Old December 23, 2003, 03:48   #14
BustaMike
The Courts of Candle'Bre
King

Local Time: 06:56
Location: You think you're better than me? You've been handling my ass pennies!!!
I voted virtual world... with maybe the recycling tanks being a close second.

The best quote in the game however is UNQUESTIONABLY Zak's quote when you build a temple of planet. EXTERMINAAAAAATED!!!
Old December 23, 2003, 13:48   #15
Alex
Emperor

Local Time: 11:56
prob mech. it's the perfect one line punch.
Old December 23, 2003, 14:25   #16
CEO Aaron
ACDG3 Morgan
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Frankychan
Virtual World....it's the best.

Bah, CEO Aaron! Your just jealous that Mr. Morgan has never had a thread like this! Mwa-ha-ha-ha!
You know, I do wish people had better appreciation for the true wisdom of Morgan's quotes, if you ask me, Morgan has a much better grasp on the Human condition than Yang ever will. Where Yang instructs us to suppress and deny our humanity, Morgan tells us to embrace it.

Yang's solution to leadership is to oppress his subjects and preach to them to ignore the suffering he inflicts on them. Underneath all his Taoist/Mind-over-matter trappings, he's just another ruthless despot. His quotes are indeed compelling, but they HAVE to be. Without his sagely mumbo-jumbo, no one would be fooled by his despotic charade.

Quote:
Originally posted by obstructor
I guess that capitalists hate communists even more in the new world. But why put Yang in punishment sphere?
I don't hate Yang because he's a communist, but because he's a tyrant. While I do believe that communism is a fundamentally flawed economic system, I will grant that no one has ever really tried it.
Old December 23, 2003, 20:26   #17
Mr. President
Emperor

Hey, hey, hey, don't take this too seriously. I've seen enough internet philosophy arguments for two or three people.
Old December 23, 2003, 20:58   #18
Frankychan
ACDG The Human HiveAlpha Centauri Democracy GameNationStatesAlpha Centauri PBEMApolyton Storywriters' Guild
King

Local Time: 04:56
Amen to that, my brotha. I still remember the "Mellian Wars".
"...but what sane person would move from Hawaii to Indiana?" -Dis
Old December 24, 2003, 19:40   #19
Lazerus
Alpha Centauri PBEMNationStates
King

Local Time: 15:56
And morgan wouldn't take everything away from you the moment you became a business rival ? He'd utterly destroy you, just like Yang would do to a political rival. Yang has a good grasp on humanity and sees it for the **** it is and urges us to try become something better.
Learn to overcome the crass demands of flesh and bone, for they warp the matrix through which we perceive the world. Extend your awareness outward, beyond the self of body, to embrace the self of group and the self of humanity. The goals of the group and the greater race are transcendant, and to embrace them is to acheive enlightenment.
Old December 26, 2003, 14:25   #20
Illuminatus
staff
Provost

This is really getting too serious. Shall we start a new Cold War? Ot perhaps a warmer one
At least we have a good idea for a new ACDG -> ACCW
(cw=cold war for drones).

We just need a person in this thread who will start to preach about advantages of green economics. Volunteers anyone?
Old December 26, 2003, 15:31   #21
CEO Aaron
ACDG3 Morgan
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Lazerus
And morgan wouldn't take everything away from you the moment you became a business rival ? He'd utterly destroy you, just like Yang would do to a political rival. Yang has a good grasp on humanity and sees it for the **** it is and urges us to try become something better.
Well, you're not going to get any good picture of a society if you judge it by how it treats its enemies. I'm judging Yang and Morgan by how they treat their citizens. Regardless, we're pretty off topic at this point, so I'll shut up. Mebbe I should start a threat taking a poll of what everyone's favorite Morgan quote is.

'Get off my land, you peacekeeping sunova...'
Old December 28, 2003, 15:18   #22
Illuminatus
staff
Provost

Where is that poll?
But Morgan is the funniest guy in SMAC (where do you want your node today).
My credits to humorous new world capitalists.