Old December 26, 2003, 08:21   #61
DAVOUT
PtWDG RoleplayCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

Local Time: 16:07
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Forget the voters; they are not really interested in voting, and they are so difficult to count!

And make a random draw with the candidates names.
Old December 26, 2003, 08:28   #62
MrBaggins
CTP2 Source Code Project
King

Local Time: 15:07
1) Remove the exits on the voting stations, so you can enter but not leave, and set up a positive pressure ventilation system.
2) When the end of the regular voting period has drawn near, employ a nerve agent with a limited active duration, over residential neighborhoods.
3) Keep the voters til its safe to leave, and then send them home with some antidote just in case
4) Employ some extra santitation workers to clean up the bodies... some of those probably won't have voted.

Old December 26, 2003, 08:37   #63
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

Pardon me if anyone else has suggested this:

Next election, anyone that hasn't voted gets their children killed. If they have no children, then they die.

Within three election cycles, everyone WILL be voting.
Old December 26, 2003, 12:13   #64
Kyle
Prince

Local Time: 11:07
Quote:
and the minor parties can't win diddly

There's good reason for that.

Either give people the day off for election day (making it a holiday) or move the day to the weekend. The first one would be easier, no pesky constitution to change.

~Lisa as Jeanne d'Arc
Old December 26, 2003, 21:22   #65
Q Classic
Emperor

Local Time: 10:07
for every vote they cast, promise an orgasm.
Old December 26, 2003, 23:07   #66
Imran Siddiqui
staff
Apolytoners Hall of FameAge of Nations TeamPolyCast Team

Quote:
for every vote they cast, promise an orgasm.
Hookers in the booth? Or election tables in the strip clubs?
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
- John 13:34-35 (NRSV)
Old December 26, 2003, 23:28   #67
Oerdin
Deity

Local Time: 08:07
Hmm, a blow job for every ballot? This might encourage voter fraud as youngsters try to vote more then once.
Christianity is the belief in a cosmic Jewish zombie who can give us eternal life if we symbolically eat his flesh and blood and telepathically tell him that we accept him as our lord and master so he can remove an evil force present in all humanity because a woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from an apple tree.
Old December 27, 2003, 01:15   #68
Enigma_Nova
C4DG The Mercenary Team
Emperor

Local Time: 01:07
Local Date: November 3, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Skanky Burns
Make it mandatory. It works for Australia.
Yes it's mandatory
But it's plagued by making uninformed (or drastically underinformed) people vote.
So it doesn't work so there. :P
Old December 27, 2003, 01:26   #69
Enigma_Nova
C4DG The Mercenary Team
Emperor

Local Time: 01:07
Local Date: November 3, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
So what? Don't they have a right to decide who their leader is? Or do you believe only that smart people have the right to a democracy?
I believe that decisions should be entrusted only to those who desire to make them.

Why can't we have a two-levelled democracy? People could vote for how much they think other people's votes are worth.
Or would that just -increase- the value of thoughtless idiot votes?
Old December 27, 2003, 17:24   #70
Q Classic
Emperor

Quote:
Hookers in the booth? Or election tables in the strip clubs?
well, i figure you'll have to deliver on some of them, otherwise they won't come again...

as for the actual mechanics of it... i'll leave that for other, bigger heads to figure out.
Old December 27, 2003, 18:03   #71
Traianvs
BtS Tri-League
King

Local Time: 17:07
Quote:
Originally posted by shawnmmcc
Do you want people who are too lazy to research voting records and actual positions voting? We have too many lazy voters who just vote party line or vote based on attack ads already. I'll never forget one election, when I lived in Ohio, where they have elected judges.

Since the race was non-partisan, nobody ran any info on the judges. In desperation, on election day I went to both party headquarters - Democrat and Republican. Neither had any concrete data on their candidates record as judges or even lawyers. They looked at me like I was an alien - all I wanted was facts!

I think the lottery mentioned earlier is the only one that would work. Make it a check-off on your tax return, and voting enters you in it. Make the pay-off at least 100 million, and you will lets lots of people who are too lazy to vote knowledgably out in droves. What an improvement.

And then they say America is an all-democracy nation

Hold election day on sunday. Most people can make it that day.
Also the fact that there are basically just 2 parties (democrats and republicans) that you will vote for, doesn't really give me the impression of a solid democracy... If I lived in America I would have to choose between 2 evils, of course one of them more evil than the other

Old December 27, 2003, 18:26   #72
rah
lifer
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Just another peon

Republicans don't care since they always pray for a lower turnout.

But really, if you're too lazy to vote, I don't think your opinion deserves to be counted. The same could be said for those that have to be given extra motivation to vote. Having a say in things should be motivation enough.
Old December 27, 2003, 18:39   #73
Stefu
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Yeah. It should be made harder to vote. Reinstate the literacy requirement and the poll tax, require all the votes to be cast between 02:00 and 03:00, have one voting location for every 5 million citizens and have those locations staffed by ninjas who attempt to cut up everybody who tries to cast his vote. That, by God, would truly separate the wheat from the chaff and the committed voters from the non-committed ones.

Quote:
Back in the good old days candidates saw to it that liquid refreshments were available to voters at the polling places. It was such a great idea. I have no idea why it was discontinued.
Were those refreshments served before or after the voting?
"Spirit merges with matter to sanctify the universe. Matter transcends to return to spirit. The interchangeability of matter and spirit means the starlit magic of the outermost life of our universe becomes the soul-light magic of the innermost life of our self." - Dennis Kucinich, candidate for the U. S. presidency
"That’s the future of the Democratic Party: providing Republicans with a number of cute (but not that bright) comfort women." - Adam Yoshida, Canada's gift to the world
Old December 27, 2003, 18:42   #74
Kuciwalker
Deity

If we passed a law require people to vote, people would just elect someone on the platform that he would repeal that law
Old December 27, 2003, 19:28   #75
Imran Siddiqui
staff

Quote:
have those locations staffed by ninjas who attempt to cut up everybody who tries to cast his vote.
Ninjas .

Quote:
Both, dammit
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
Old December 27, 2003, 19:31   #76
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

Quote:
Originally posted by Enigma_Nova

I believe that decisions should be entrusted only to those who desire to make them.
Translation: The smart ones. Though I do agree with you.

Quote:
Or would that just -increase- the value of thoughtless idiot votes?
It would.
Old December 27, 2003, 19:39   #77
Stefu
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Ninjas make EVERYTHING awesome.
"Spirit merges with matter to sanctify the universe. Matter transcends to return to spirit. The interchangeability of matter and spirit means the starlit magic of the outermost life of our universe becomes the soul-light magic of the innermost life of our self." - Dennis Kucinich, candidate for the U. S. presidency
"That’s the future of the Democratic Party: providing Republicans with a number of cute (but not that bright) comfort women." - Adam Yoshida, Canada's gift to the world
Old December 27, 2003, 20:23   #78
Q Classic
Emperor

Quote:
But really, if you're too lazy to vote, I don't think your opinion deserves to be counted. The same could be said for those that have to be given extra motivation to vote. Having a say in things should be motivation enough.
obviously, rah, you don't like orgasms too much, otherwise you'd think that was a good motivation/perk.
Old December 27, 2003, 20:55   #79
Spiffor
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG LegolandApolytoners Hall of Fame

1) Let there be a stake in elections. When the government (whether local / state / federal government) will have more power than unelected bureaucracies / lobbies / corporations, people will vote because they'll know it's important.

2) Have differentiated parties. Save some disagreements on abortion and other societal issues, there is no structurated cleavage in American politics. As a result, people often vote for the party they have always felt attached with (for no real reason).

3) Have a more responsive electoral system. One of the reasons for low turnout is the distrust in the political system as a whole, especially for the two parties that are sure to win. If the people who vote for something radically different had a chance to weigh, they'll vote much more often.
Old December 27, 2003, 20:57   #80
Spiffor

Quote:
Originally posted by rah
When your say is wasted (i.e. when you support a "small party"), I think the fault lies to the system rather than to the voter.
Old December 30, 2003, 19:12   #81
The Mad Monk
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
Quote:
Second, provide a coupon to each voter, which provides a tax credit when included in the next year's tax return.
Like we needed another reason for people to attempt to vote more than once .
Nah. If anything, having more coupons than taxpayers in a given tax return will produce more questions than it's worth.
"We have tried spending money. We are spending more than we have ever spent before and it does not work...After eight years of this Administration, we have just as much unemployment as when we started... And an enormous debt to boot!" — Henry Morgenthau, Franklin Delano Roosevelt's Treasury secretary, 1941.
Old December 30, 2003, 20:22   #82
Ned
King

Local Time: 07:07
Quote:
Originally posted by Spiffor
1) Let there be a stake in elections. When the government (whether local / state / federal government) will have more power than unelected bureaucracies / lobbies / corporations, people will vote because they'll know it's important.

2) Have differentiated parties. Save some disagreements on abortion and other societal issues, there is no structurated cleavage in American politics. As a result, people often vote for the party they have always felt attached with (for no real reason).

3) Have a more responsive electoral system. One of the reasons for low turnout is the distrust in the political system as a whole, especially for the two parties that are sure to win. If the people who vote for something radically different had a chance to weigh, they'll vote much more often.
1) This seem like a European problem, not American.
2) In many ways this is true. Bush has gone out this way to steal Democrat issues like steel tariffs, farm subsidies and Medicare prescription drug coverage. The only major issues that divide the parties today are taxes and war.
3) The low turnout has nothing to do with distrust, it has to do with satisfaction and complacency.
Old December 30, 2003, 21:05   #83
Imran Siddiqui
staff

Quote:
The low turnout has nothing to do with distrust, it has to do with satisfaction and complacency.
Jeez Ned, is there not enough wool pulled over your eyes?
Old December 30, 2003, 22:18   #84
Sandman
King

Local Time: 16:07
Standardise the voting system across the whole country. No matter where you are in the country, everyone should vote in the same way. Preferably without daft gizmos.

Replace the electoral college with something else. Something more democratic. I don't care if you're 'really a republic'.

Get a zero-tolerance policy going towards gerrymandering and other types of corruption.
Old December 31, 2003, 00:43   #85
Whoha
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 Morgan
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Stefu
Yeah. It should be made harder to vote. Reinstate the literacy requirement and the poll tax, require all the votes to be cast between 02:00 and 03:00, have one voting location for every 5 million citizens and have those locations staffed by ninjas who attempt to cut up everybody who tries to cast his vote. That, by God, would truly separate the wheat from the chaff and the committed voters from the non-committed ones.

during, vote early, vote often.
Old December 31, 2003, 03:49   #86
Spiffor

Quote:
Originally posted by Ned
3) The low turnout has nothing to do with distrust, it has to do with satisfaction and complacency.
Wow
You and I have a tradition of disagreement, and I often wonder where you get your perception of reality from. But this one is the most surprising statement I've ever read from you
Old December 31, 2003, 04:08   #87
gopher
Warlord

If you entice people to vote without them being informed, you will have a screwed up government. Low turnout is not good, but I rather have a low turnout with mostly informed people than high turnout with uninformed people.

"Your plans to find love, fortune, and happiness utterly ignore the Second Law Of Thermodynamics."-Horiscope from The Onion
Old December 31, 2003, 15:55   #88
Ned
King

Local Time: 07:07
Spiffor and Imran, my observation about low voter turnout is from experience and from polls conducted over the years.
Old January 1, 2004, 03:01   #89
Spiffor

Quote:
Originally posted by Ned
Spiffor and Imran, my observation about low voter turnout is from experience and from polls conducted over the years.
That's strange, my courses of participatory science do give a high importance to party distrust, but none to complacency with the system. Maybe that's because none of the many scientosts striving for the reason of low turnout cared to measure it
Besides, most non-voters I got to talk to during campaigns were rather talking about how they wouldn't give their vote to corrupt politicians, rather than how the system was so perfect they didn't want to have a say in it...
Old January 1, 2004, 03:02   #90
Spiffor

But if you can provide me these numerous polls over the years, I'll shut up.