Old January 6, 2004, 10:57   #61
Impaler[WrG]
Civilization IV CreatorsACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansAlpha Centauri PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 MorganPolyCast Team
King

Local Time: 08:07
Local Date: November 2, 2010
How many core active members dose PEACE currently have? Any Word on how many wish to continue playing the game and if they will NOT do so if they are alowed to join other factions. I would hope they would be sportsmanly about it and join us when we concour them. It will keep the Factions diplomatic stances pure and uncorrupted by outside prejidice or information they shouldn't have. We would accept them as full members of our faction and alow them to contribute just like a new member would.
Companions the creator seeks, not corpses, not herds and believers. Fellow creators, the creator seeks - those who write new values on new tablets. Companions the creator seeks, and fellow harvesters; for everything about him is ripe for the harvest. - Thus spoke Zarathustra, Fredrick Nietzsche
Old January 6, 2004, 11:39   #62
Googlie
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 GaiansACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 MorganACDG3 CMNsACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha Centaurians
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Drogue
or they could claim it won't be taken and not destroy it, meaning we all lose a turn after them IIRC.
Actually, only the Drones would lose a turn, as upon the elimination of a human facrtion the game skips to the start of the next year (the Hive).

As PEACE is the penultimate faction in turn order, just the drones would be penalized.

Obviously, the destination of defeated factions' players is a touchy one, so how about this as a compromise:

The defeated faction self destructs its last base when victory can be guaranteed (eg an enemy cruiser or a trooper sitting outside an empty base), and the victor has "first dibs" on that faction's players. Any who want to join can do so immediately.

Any not wanting to join must wait for ten (five?) turns before being accepted into another faction - that way their information won't be quite as current, the intervening period will give the victor some time to "mend fences" with the other factions through strenuous diplomatic activity, and this solution wouldn't ban vanquished players compeltely from the game.

Obviously Tass and I can police the private forums, but couldn't stop e-mails, MSN chats etc from taking place where defeated players were dickering with another faction to accept them, nor the passing on of maps, etc they might have in their possession.

Imperfect, but maybe a decent compromise?

G.
Old January 6, 2004, 13:41   #63
Jamski
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

Local Time: 15:07
Sounds Ok to me, Googlie.

-Jam
Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.
Old January 6, 2004, 16:25   #64
Snowflake
ACDG3 SpartansACDG The Human HiveACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 GaiansACDG3 MorganACDG3 CMNs
Princess

Local Time: 09:07
I agree that it is fair.

Grapefruit Garden
Old January 6, 2004, 18:30   #65
Drogue
staff
Alpha Centauri PBEMNationStatesACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 SpartansACDG3 MorganACDG3 Data AngelsPolyCast TeamC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNsACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Apolyton Knight (Off-Topic Co-Moderator)

That sounds most agreeable In fact, that means we keep most of the players and there isn't too much of a bad effect at all

Well done Googlie

"Hm. I suppose I should get my waffle a santa hat." - Kuciwalker
Old January 6, 2004, 21:46   #66
Mead
ACDG The Human HiveACDG3 MorganAlpha Centauri Democracy Game
King

Local Time: 10:07
Quote:
Originally posted by Googlie

the victor has "first dibs" on that faction's players. Any who want to join can do so immediately.

Any not wanting to join must wait for ten (five?) turns before being accepted into another faction - that way their information won't be quite as current,

G.
Nice idea.

It is kind of like the way some professional sports leagues deal with college players who refuse to join the team they are 'drafted' into.

I think that in American Football (The National Football League) the teams get to take turns choosing the graduating college football players into their teams (the team that played worst during the season gets first choice, followed by the second worst placed team and so on).

A college graduate can refuse to join the team that 'drafts' them can become a 'free agent' and join whatever team they want but only after they sit out and not play for a full season.

I think five turns is too long.

We are entering a stage of the game where the action within the game is starting to pick up and a lot can happen (change) in five turns.

Even though a lot can happen within the game, it will still take a lot of time, perhaps more than a month to pass, before the five turns are up (doesn't each turn take about one week?). This is a long time for an otherwise active player to have to wait out before they can play.

I think most of the 'time sensitive' info that a player may have will expire within three turns (about three weeks in RL).

Having refugees who do not want to join the conquering faction sit out for three weeks, without the ACDG, should be enough. Making them sit out for longer seems kind of harsh to the refugees.

Mead
Old January 6, 2004, 21:46   #67
Enigma_Nova
C4DG The Mercenary Team
Emperor

Local Time: 01:07
Local Date: November 3, 2010
Why not? It sounds okay to me.
The Hive has already started a secret project, called The Xenorum Brewery. This is estimated to be completed before PEACE activists are likely to arrive.
We were planning on starting The Cyborg Factory for our CyCon bretheren, but there was already a secret project by that name.
Old January 6, 2004, 22:53   #68
Googlie
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 GaiansACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 MorganACDG3 CMNsACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha Centaurians
Emperor

Hmm - I think Mead might have an idea there - a Players Draft

here's the powerchart as at 2152:

now let's say there were seven human players, and the Angels conquered the Believers.

They'd have first draft of a Believer team member, then the other five would draft in reverse power order so PEACE would draft next, then PUT or CyCon (hard to tell from the chart) and so on

If a player doesn't want to join a faction that's drafted him, he sits out five turns before joining the faction of his choice.

thoughts?

G.
Old January 6, 2004, 22:59   #69
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

Er, personally I think it should be some type of lottery.
Because that'd be fun For me
Old January 6, 2004, 23:32   #70
Drogue
staff
Alpha Centauri PBEMNationStatesACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 SpartansACDG3 MorganACDG3 Data AngelsPolyCast TeamC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNsACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness

I think the draft is too much on luck and a little unrealistic. I liked your original idea much better. I think 5 turns is the best, but shortened to 3 shouldn't be that bad. Either way it's the best compromise solution yet IMHO.

Old January 7, 2004, 01:15   #71
jtsisyoda
ACDG The Free DronesAlpha Centauri PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 Morgan
King

Local Time: 10:07
I like a three turn waiting period if people want to go to a faction other than the one that conquered them. I don't think complicating it with a lottery is necessary, though.
Old January 7, 2004, 01:47   #72
Enigma_Nova
C4DG The Mercenary Team
Emperor

Googlie, load the factions in the correct order. We Hiverians do NOT like to have Believer graphic sets.

Taken straight from my Alpha Centauri.ini:
Faction 1=HIVE
Faction 2=UNIV
Faction 3=BELIEVE
Faction 4=CYBORG
Faction 5=PIRATES
Faction 6=DRONE
Faction 7=ANGELS
Old January 7, 2004, 10:13   #73
Impaler[WrG]
Civilization IV CreatorsACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansAlpha Centauri PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 MorganPolyCast Team
King

Remember that the turn rate has already excelerated considerably and it will be cut down even further with the elimination of a Faction (especialy one that routinly uses a lot of time). I estimate turns will be completed once 4 days at that point so we would be talking about only 2 weeks sitting out which is not very long in my book.

How about 3 weeks or 5 turns which ever comes first?
Companions the creator seeks, not corpses, not herds and believers. Fellow creators, the creator seeks - those who write new values on new tablets. Companions the creator seeks, and fellow harvesters; for everything about him is ripe for the harvest. - Thus spoke Zarathustra, Fredrick Nietzsche
Old January 7, 2004, 17:50   #74
Googlie
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Enigma_Nova
Googlie, load the factions in the correct order.
Well, unfortunately they don't last, as the .ini file takes the order of the last game saved, and I'm in a few smax games as well as building some scenarios.

Someone (Darius, I believe), wrote and explained a batch program that would load the appropriate faction order into the .ini file before executing the terranx command, but I never was computer savvy enouigh to do it for myself

And it's a hassle to do it manually before opening every PBEM or scenario turn

G.
Old January 7, 2004, 19:32   #75
Kody
ACDG The Human HiveACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 GaiansACDG3 MorganACDG3 SpartansACDG3 CMNs
Emperor

Googlie, can you check your PM.

It's to do with me being able to see private forums without getting authorised.
Old January 7, 2004, 20:38   #76
Enigma_Nova
C4DG The Mercenary Team
Emperor

>_<
This isn't relevant to the topic at hand...
You can just make a thread, "These people check PMs", sticky it and post alerts in there.

*cough*

Yeah, I see your point there googlie.
I'm not sure how to make a program that could do that efficiently, but I can do it clunkily:

Copy ACDG centauri.ini alpha centauri.ini
terranx.exe

Presuming that you ready-make another .ini.
Also I'm not sure how to deal with long filenames in a DOS batch executor. It would probably be ACDG_ce~1 and so on...
Old January 7, 2004, 22:45   #77
foolish_icarus
ACDG PeaceACDG3 Data AngelsNever Ending Stories
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Enigma_Nova
We Hiverians do NOT like to have Believer graphic sets.
You think we like having a Cycon Graphic set?

And hold your tongues, Cyborgs, I already know what you're going to say
Old January 8, 2004, 10:55   #78
Drogue
staff

Actually, I quite like having the PEACE graphics set. I mean, half our bases will soon have that anyway

Old January 9, 2004, 14:00   #79
FlameFlash
Call to Power PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMMacACDG PeaceCall To Power SuperLeagueACDG3 Data AngelsCall to Power MultiplayerCivilization II PBEMCivilization III PBEMCivilization IV PBEMCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerC4BtSDG Team Banana
Emperor

Local Time: 09:07
Once it gets closer to an actual defeat of a human faction I think it'd be more logical to contemplate it, IMHO.

As always, will play after work. I wonder if I'll ever be able to turn that the other way...
Old January 9, 2004, 14:58   #80
Impaler[WrG]
King

OH it IS getting closer, IT IS
Old January 9, 2004, 15:50   #81
Drogue
staff

While Function Impaler is quite correct, we have two threads for spam and boasting about the war, and this isn't one of them Let us allow our actions to speak for ourselves