Old March 19, 2000, 22:04   #1
Caligula
Settler

Local Time: 22:35
Local Date: October 30, 2010
Customizing alternate scenarios
In CivII Gold, is it possible to customize all aspects in the various add-on scenarios including map randomization as is the case with the default civ world? For example, if I wanted a completely random map in the world of Midgard with the abiility to still choose my tribe, difficulty level etc. how would this be done?
Old March 19, 2000, 22:14   #2
KhanMan
Prince

Caligula-One way I've found that works is to start a new game on a random world with whatever settings you want (or a pre-set world, if you prefer), then, first turn, toggle cheat mode, set senario settings however you want, and save it as a a scenario in the same folder as the scenario you want to duplicate.

What this does is, it allows you to have a different map, but use the same rules, graphics files, etc. as the original scenario.

This is also my favorite way to try out new mod packs, without all the hassle of switching files bakc and forth...

"Damn the phalanxs, full speed ahead!"
-KhanMan the paranoid expansionist
Old March 19, 2000, 22:38   #3
Cam
King

Local Time: 08:05
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Caligula,

In the case of Midgard, you will need to reconstruct much of the game before going ahead.

For instance, the tribes start off with specific technologies so they can build select units and can't build others. Furthermore, the events file will be in a bit of a mess, because there are several events that deal with specific cities or locations (such as; change terrain, city taken, and create unit events). I don't think the game will crash, but it won't play too well!

You can customise Midgard to play as a different scenario on a different map, but it will require some planning. You can also create alternate scenario games that may work successfully.

...or you can get Test of Time that has the Fantasy Game which works in the same manner that you're suggesting.
Old March 20, 2000, 12:00   #4
Sieve Too
Prince

Even with planning, some of the events won't work correctly. IIRC if you capture another tribe's capital, a powerful unit appears near the capital to seek revenge. You would either have to disable these events or you'll have to know where all the capitals are again - which kinda defeats the random map idea. Likewise, some of the Stygian monsters, like Dragons, only appear randomly in fixed locations. On a random map, they may be too far from you to be menacing or else they could be right on top of you.