Old January 5, 2004, 04:32   #31
Themonger
Chieftain

Local Time: 10:10
Local Date: November 2, 2010
I prefer SMAC, but whichever we the group wants to do I'm fine with
Old January 5, 2004, 11:45   #32
Jamski
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

Local Time: 15:10
So.... can the thread starter become the game starter please?

-Jam
Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.
Old January 5, 2004, 13:22   #33
Lazerus
Alpha Centauri PBEMNationStates
King

Local Time: 16:10
Since the game isn't going to move until the 10th anyways i still think we should get a veteran player to act as a CMN for us, googlie was describing reasons in another thread.
Learn to overcome the crass demands of flesh and bone, for they warp the matrix through which we perceive the world. Extend your awareness outward, beyond the self of body, to embrace the self of group and the self of humanity. The goals of the group and the greater race are transcendant, and to embrace them is to acheive enlightenment.
Old January 6, 2004, 03:01   #34
Themonger
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally posted by Lazerus
Since the game isn't going to move until the 10th anyways i still think we should get a veteran player to act as a CMN for us, googlie was describing reasons in another thread.
agreed
Old January 6, 2004, 06:24   #35
Mr. Harley
Prince

Local Time: 11:10
I was going to join, then saw you have your five. I am experienced SP, can CMN in that I've set up scenarios for myself to try strategies I've read here, and can ask Googlie (he's in another game with me) if I have any problems. I'm off tomorrow night, and can set it up then.
Mr. Harley: I'm afraid my people haven't. I'm very sorry… I wish it were otherwise.
Old January 6, 2004, 08:52   #36
Crisler
Warlord

Local Time: 09:10
That would be cool, I have never setup a PBEM game and so would not have a clue how to start :-)
Old January 6, 2004, 09:09   #37
Mr. Harley
Prince

Two main questions - need the extra tech for Univ, email at hjcarr01@athena.louisville.edu.

SMAC or SMAX - have 2 for the first, one for the second, we need the other two to vote.

Do you want the two AI's enhanced, as in give each a little extra, I was thinking some decent terraforming, one or two extra techs, etc. Given a normal map, that might be a mite bit too much, I tend to go for huge ones when I design for myself.

Random map, normal size, allow all victory conditions, no restart, I assume Look First, and I gather No Random Events is rather standard.

Since you have The Hive as a player, want to make sure everybody has the XP upgrade that lets him do golden age pop booms? You folks work that out.
Mr. Harley: I'm afraid my people haven't. I'm very sorry… I wish it were otherwise.
Old January 6, 2004, 11:22   #38
Darsnan
supporter
Alpha Centauri PBEMACDG3 GaiansApolytoners Hall of FameC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansPolyCast TeamSpore
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by shawnmmcc
Two main questions - need the extra tech for Univ, email at
Note: the only time you need to give the Uni's their free tech is when playing with the Aliens and starting the game in MY2106. If you as CMN set up the game in MY2100 and the game starts in 2101, then the Uni's can pick their free tech in 2101. FYI as I just made the same mistake in the Laptop Game I set up.

D
Old January 6, 2004, 11:50   #39
Mr. Harley
Prince

Dasrnan - thanks. Those are the fine points I need help with.
Old January 6, 2004, 13:24   #40
Impaler[WrG]
Civilization IV CreatorsACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansAlpha Centauri PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 MorganPolyCast Team
King

Local Time: 08:10
If Shawnmmcc joins in then you would have 6 and then I might as well join too, as the last game I tried to join died when Agent Subversion disapeared. (sorry about all that wasted time Darsen ). If yall want to keep it to 5 then I will likly start an independent game (care to join shawnmmcc?)
Companions the creator seeks, not corpses, not herds and believers. Fellow creators, the creator seeks - those who write new values on new tablets. Companions the creator seeks, and fellow harvesters; for everything about him is ripe for the harvest. - Thus spoke Zarathustra, Fredrick Nietzsche
Old January 6, 2004, 13:25   #41
Impaler[WrG]
Civilization IV CreatorsACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansAlpha Centauri PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 MorganPolyCast Team
King

Local Time: 08:10
If Shawnmmcc joins in then you would have 6 and then I might as well join too, as the last game I tried to join died when Agent Subversion disapeared. (sorry about all that wasted time Darsen ). If yall want to keep it to 5 then I will likly start an independent game (care to join shawnmmcc?)
Companions the creator seeks, not corpses, not herds and believers. Fellow creators, the creator seeks - those who write new values on new tablets. Companions the creator seeks, and fellow harvesters; for everything about him is ripe for the harvest. - Thus spoke Zarathustra, Fredrick Nietzsche
Old January 6, 2004, 13:33   #42
Lazerus
King

shadow cant join, hes volunteered to be CMN, the very idea of that is to be neutral and outside the game.

thanks for that aswell shadow

also impaler, we'll post for a replacement for him soon in that game if he doesn't come back within a week or so.
Learn to overcome the crass demands of flesh and bone, for they warp the matrix through which we perceive the world. Extend your awareness outward, beyond the self of body, to embrace the self of group and the self of humanity. The goals of the group and the greater race are transcendant, and to embrace them is to acheive enlightenment.
Old January 6, 2004, 17:27   #43
Mr. Harley
Prince

I am going to infer from endgames statement that he prefers SMAX - Lazarus email me, also for SMAX, so that's what it is.

I will select random large planet, and either tweak the map, or restrart it, if I cannot get seven good starting points. If nobody emails me differently, I will make it conform to my post earlier.

I need one last item. Lazarus doesn't mind the extra terraforming for the AI - does not like extra techs. Any other thoughts on starting AI off better

extra terraforming (plus one former - the AI is a sooo stupid)
extra tech
one-two extra bases
Old January 6, 2004, 21:29   #44
Jamski
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

Local Time: 15:10
Seed some forests for the AI, and give an extra CLEAN former or two. Give them free tree-farms when they get the tech, and that should be enough to stop them completely choking, eh?

-Jam
Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.
Old January 7, 2004, 10:45   #45
Mr. Harley
Prince

Sound good, I've only read on how to give free tree farms - now I guess I'll have to genuinely edit the .txt file - Jamski, if I edit it on the scenario, then will it the changes stick during game as their is no per se host computer? I'll email Darsnan, or check the Creation section. The trees, maybe a mine or two, will be easy.
Old January 7, 2004, 13:42   #46
Lazerus
King

free tree farms for the AI ?! ack i hope miriam kicks off with all your democracies before my police state in that case.
Old January 8, 2004, 01:20   #47
Mr. Harley
Prince

Don't worry - I'm have the map set up, and I'm not trying to modify the Alpha.txt on my first CMN. I gave the AI two independent formers, one per base plus a little terraforming.

I'm going to run my setup by an experienced CMN, and then mail it out. Please email me your passwords at

hjcarr01@athena.louisville.edu

I'll get the tracking thread started - any nominations for the game name - if you leave it to me, I'll give you hint.

Best,
Shawn
Old January 9, 2004, 20:34   #48
Mr. Harley
Prince

Game is ready - except I didn't realize you need to start the editor at year 2100, you cannot change it after you have the rest of the scenario set up - or at least I can't seem to get it to . Waiting on the free Uni tech, the game thread will be Uranium flats.
Old January 10, 2004, 02:18   #49
Themonger
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally posted by shawnmmcc
Game is ready - except I didn't realize you need to start the editor at year 2100, you cannot change it after you have the rest of the scenario set up - or at least I can't seem to get it to . Waiting on the free Uni tech, the game thread will be Uranium flats.
Emailed ya