Old January 9, 2004, 01:04   #361
Vince278
King

Local Time: 15:12
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Serb
Then you salute to our traitors/your spies.
I guess that is the way it appears from your point of view. We still see them as patriots who are trying to help Russia.

Quote:
And I salute to Americans who betrayed USA and shared secret info with Russians. Nice work guys.
A few come to my mind like the Rosenbergs and Alger Hiss but I believe there were many more people working for us than against us.
"And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
"Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
2004 Presidential Candidate
2008 Presidential Candidate (for what its worth)
Old January 9, 2004, 01:05   #362
Lonestar
inmate
King

Local Time: 11:12
Quote:
Originally posted by monkspider
Yeah, and Patton would have gotten his ass-kicked. Don't let your Civ games fool you.
Wouldn't have had to be Patton being the new SACEUR, but with Lend-leased yanked away from Russia, Britain, The commomwealth, various "liberated" countries, and taking the remnants of wehrmacht added with the American forces...yes, yes I do believe we could crush communism then. Especially when we still held a signifigant strategic advantage over them.
Old January 9, 2004, 01:11   #363
Vince278
King

Quote:
It's OK. I can handle it myself...I guess, but help is always appreciated bro.
I'm not being a pain on purpose. I enjoy a good discussion with people who see things differently than I do (and Russians do see things differently than most...).
"And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
"Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
Old January 9, 2004, 01:14   #364
Patroklos
Emperor

We would have won.

But to give the Russians credit, as much as you can give mass murderers credit, it would have been a very long and bloody war.

And yeas alot of people have died from Ameica's "freedom wars." But The "15 times the Nazis" the Soviets accomplished, and that is a low figure, was acutually by their hands and not justified in any way by the collateral damage of war arguement (which is not entirely valid). Ie Americans rarely lined people up and mowed them down with machineguns and then threw them in a mass grave. We don't have a system of health spas in Nothern Alaska where 10s of millions found it to be so nice they decided not to come back, ever. And while the Nazis have the infamous reputation as bieng the most efficient killers, I give that to you. You actually let work or the cold kill them instead of wasting the labor though gas chambers. Enjoy the dubious honor.
Old January 9, 2004, 01:15   #365
Vince278
King

Quote:
Actually it's old Russian saying Khrushev just said it once and scared you to death.
Scary fellow, isn't he?
Scary? Not really. He was more of an embarrassment (which ultimately led to his removal ).

BTW: I'm not feeling very "buried" right now. So much for his bluster.
Old January 9, 2004, 01:17   #366
Vince278
King

Quote:
They guy you are talking about is late Brezhnev. When he was an old fellow, he even wasn't able to swim by himself:
I still love his eyebrows.
Old January 9, 2004, 01:19   #367
Vince278
King

Quote:
F*ck you Drake. You're just an as$hole.
Consider it comes from millions of Russians who lost their lives fighting nazism.
F*ck you once again and be you damned, *****.

Ok, Ming I'm ready. How long this time? 7? 14?
I'll put in a good word for you.
Old January 9, 2004, 01:22   #368
Vince278
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Vesayen
Is it wrong if the pictures on these threads have aroused me, physically?
Especially if you are referring to Khruschev and Brezhnev.
Old January 9, 2004, 01:24   #369
Vince278
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Drake Tungsten
Quote:
Consider it comes from millions of Russians who lost their lives fighting nazism.
While fighting for a regime that was just as evil as Hitler's...
Thats being kind to Stalin. He killed more Russians than Hitler.
Old January 9, 2004, 01:26   #370
Vince278
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Lonestar
Stalinism ain't that much better than Nazism, buddy. Too bad we didn't let Patton do his thang and lead the new drive to Moscow.
Old January 9, 2004, 01:29   #371
The Vagabond
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Patroklos
But The "15 times the Nazis" the Soviets accomplished...
15 times?? Where the hell did you get this crazy figure? Your propaganda and perhaps history classes at school feed you with such nonsense, and you gladly believe it! Let's see. It is known that the Nazis killed 6 million Jews. Multiply by 15 and obtain 90 million. That's a completely crazy number. You have to be insane to believe that. Furthermore, the Nazis killed much, much more than just 6 million Jews. Make the math. I bet the number will be several times larger than the whole population of the Soviet Union.
Old January 9, 2004, 01:32   #372
Vince278
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Patroklos
But to give the Russians credit, as much as you can give mass murderers credit, it would have been a very long and bloody war.
Two years tops. Less than one if we took advantage of our atomic monopoly at the time.
Old January 9, 2004, 01:35   #373
Vince278
King

Quote:
Originally posted by The Vagabond
15 times?? Where the hell did you get this crazy figure? Your propaganda and perhaps history classes at school feed you with such nonsense, and you gladly believe it! Let's see. It is known that the Nazis killed 6 million Jews. Multiply by 15 and obtain 90 million. That's a completely crazy number. You have to be insane to believe that. Furthermore, the Nazis killed much, much more than just 6 million Jews. Make the math. I bet the number will be several times larger than the whole population of the Soviet Union.
Gentlemen, lets not quibble over numbers. Can we all at least agree that the Soviets butchered more people at the time than the Nazis?
Old January 9, 2004, 01:42   #374
Joseph
King

Local Time: 08:12
Quote:

Not 6, just 5,998, and some. Just under 6 million. Gypsy, Gays, Handicap etc. between 6 and 8 million. No one really knows because no one care about the Gypsy, Gays, and Handicap. Total between 12 to 14 million or so, not counting Soviet people conquered or any other country that they conquered.

Joe baby, at lease 30 million or more, we just don't really know. I saw his story on the history channel back in Nov. He was making a new list of people to kill when he crooked. If you do not believe this, than there is nothing we can do for you. That would be very sad.
Old January 9, 2004, 01:49   #375
The Vagabond
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Vince278

Gentlemen, lets not quibble over numbers. Can we all at least agree that the Soviets butchered more people at the time than the Nazis?
I don't believe we can. Do you know the numbers?
Old January 9, 2004, 01:56   #376
The Vagabond
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Joseph
Joe baby, at lease 30 million or more, we just don't really know.
This is the point: you don't really know. Then why do mention so wild numbers? What I read recently in Russian sources specifies the following number: 4 million.

I don't intend to justify Stalin, a murderous maniac. But I am strongly against a wild exaggeration of the number of victims which is a common practice in the West.
Old January 9, 2004, 02:01   #377
Joseph
King

Local Time: 08:12
Quote:

This is the point: you don't really know. Then why do mention so wild numbers? What I read recently in Russian sources specifies the following number: 4 million.

I don't intend to justify Stalin, a murderous maniac. But I am strongly against a wild exaggeration of the number of victims which is a common practice in the West.
You really need to see his story on the History Channel.
Old January 9, 2004, 02:06   #378
The Vagabond
Prince

Quote:
Joe baby, at lease 30 million or more, we just don't really know.
The population of the Soviet Union was about 150 million back then. Those killed by Stalin were mostly middle-aged men (not too young, nor too old). If your figure is true, this roughly means that one of each two middle-aged men was killed. This is nonsense.
Old January 9, 2004, 02:17   #379
Ted Striker
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 07:12
There was once a powerful tribe in Russia known as the Striker Warriors

feared throughout the land, riding into battle with sword sheath on one side and penis sheath on the other

even stalin feared their power for their length was a fearsome weapon unstoppable by even the cossaks

In the height of his purges, stalin rounded up the the Striker Warriors in one final showdown at the port of Odessa. The NKDV lost hundreds of men and thousands of lamp posts were knocked over. Stalin himself was even poked in the eyeball.

So next time you take a shower and are not feeling like a man, pray for the strength and length of the STRIKER WARRIORS!!!

I MY FRIENDS AM THE LAST OF THE STRIKER WARRIORS!!!

Mis Novias
Old January 9, 2004, 02:19   #380
Vince278
King

Quote:
I don't believe we can. Do you know the numbers?
Of course, but you won't believe them and you'll endlessly argue over the sources. Speak with your neighbors in the former Soviet Union and they'll tell you (the Ukrainians, Chechens, Tatars, Uzbekis, non-bolsheviks, etc., etc., ad nauseum). Open your mind, I dare you.
Old January 9, 2004, 02:23   #381
Ted Striker
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 07:12
Quote:

Of course, but you won't believe them and you'll endlessly argue over the sources. Speak with your neighbors in the former Soviet Union and they'll tell you (the Ukrainians, Chechens, Tatars, Uzbekis, non-bolsheviks, Striker Warriors, etc., etc., ad nauseum). Open your mind, I dare you.

Mis Novias
Old January 9, 2004, 02:24   #382
Vince278
King

Quote:
The Russians have that channel? I would think that a country that has a case of collective amnesia over the shame of the past century wouldn't even have a History Channel.
Old January 9, 2004, 02:27   #383
The Vagabond
Prince

Quote:
Why should I believe the History Channel? The History Channel just stupidly repeats the numbers that are considered common knowledge in the West. These numbers were first mentioned in the 1950s, and it was not a result of a serious study, but rather of a wild and irresponsible guess. And this has been repeated over and over since then. Apparently the West was happy to cling to it, as it was a good propagandistic tool during the Cold War.
Old January 9, 2004, 02:31   #384
Vince278
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Ted Striker
even stalin feared their power for their length was a fearsome weapon unstoppable by even the cossaks

Stalin himself was even poked in the eyeball.
You're talking about what is in the sword sheath, right?
Old January 9, 2004, 02:35   #385
The Vagabond
Prince

Quote:

Of course, but you won't believe them and you'll endlessly argue over the sources. Speak with your neighbors in the former Soviet Union and they'll tell you (the Ukrainians, Chechens, Tatars, Uzbekis, non-bolsheviks, etc., etc., ad nauseum). Open your mind, I dare you.
Why don't you mention Russians in this list. Do you think that they suffered any less from the repressions?

Well, the Chechens suffered more, of course, since they were collectively deported from their land.
Old January 9, 2004, 02:38   #386
The Vagabond
Prince

Quote:
a country that has a case of collective amnesia over the shame of the past century
Does disagreeing with your wild numbers amount to collective amnesia?
Old January 9, 2004, 03:08   #387
Vince278
King

Quote:
Why don't you mention Russians in this list. Do you think that they suffered any less from the repressions?
I had Russians in mind when I said non-bolsheviks (those who did not support the revolution). Of course many bolshevik Russians suffered as well due to Stalin's rampant paranoia. History may have taken a different course if Trotsky was in charge instead of Stalin.
Old January 9, 2004, 03:22   #388
Vince278
King

Quote:
Does disagreeing with your wild numbers amount to collective amnesia?
Not at all, both sides are probably off on the numbers. The collective amnesia kicks in when people start to deny most of what the bolsheviks/communists were responsible for since the revolution. Even a short list of their crimes would be horrific. I hope that at least some people would feel a little shame. That would be the human thing to do.
Old January 9, 2004, 03:22   #389
Saras
Emperor

Local Time: 18:12
Quote:

History may have taken a different course if Trotsky was in charge instead of Stalin.
Hows that?

http://www.althist.com/stalin.htm
Old January 9, 2004, 03:44   #390
Vince278
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Saras
Hows that?

http://www.althist.com/stalin.htm
Interesting reading but highly speculative and just plain wrong on many counts. (Hitler, left alone, would only kill 2 million Jews?). Trotsky was no saint but he also wasn't the sinner Stalin was. Trotsky left because he was losing a power struggle with Stalin. My "what if" scenario would have started with Trotsky winning the power struggle. Trotsky was an intellectual, Stalin was a brute. Trotsky's beliefs were more in line with Lenin, only a little more moderate. ( Wait a minute, am I defending a bolshevik?!? )

Perhaps our Russian friends can tell us a little bit about Trotsky, I could be wrong on some counts.