Old December 27, 2003, 23:30   #1
PLATO
Apolyton Storywriters' GuildGalCiv Apolyton EmpireCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameThe Courts of Candle'BreC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogC4DG The HordeC4WDG éirich tuireannC3CDG Blood Oath Horde
Emperor

Local Time: 10:15
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Timeline
Prologue

The eleven judges of the world tribunal walked silently into the chamber. They all had the tired look that everyone had become used to in a world gone to war. Their solemn nature did not seem to reflect the fact that it was all coming to an end. The only sound was the scraping of chair legs on the ancient wooden floor as they took their respective seats. The courtroom, as well as the world watching on the vid transmission, awaited their ruling. It was not so much that the ruling was in doubt, it was just a tired and abused world very much needing the closure of hearing it.

The Supreme Justice of the tribunal looked over the packed courtroom and took a moment to reflect on the events that had brought them all to this time and place. Five hundred years of high intensity warfare…five hundred years of billions laying dead in the streets…five hundred years of destroying the planet that they all loved. It was hard for him to believe that these ten prisoners before him were responsible for every last tragedy. For the first time in his one hundred year career on the bench he questioned his society’s rule against the death penalty. If ever an exception should be made…but no. No, that was the type thinking that these criminals hoped to foster in everyone. The solution that had been decided on was the best. Enough! It was time for him to pass sentence to the criminals and to address his world. He straightened his robe and his back . He avoided looking at the criminals and looked squarely into the camera.

“Ceasar, Cleopatra, Shakka, Bismark, Elizabeth, Catherine, Mao, Joan, Abraham, Smoke-Jaguar…You stand convicted before this court of the most heinous crimes against humanity. The blood on your hands is without parallel in our world’s history. The billions that died at your hands and the billions more that died bringing you to justice cry out for our strongest punishment.” The Supreme Justice now hardened his look and his resolve and faced the criminals squarely. “It has been decided that you shall be banished from this world for the rest of your natural lives. A ship will be constructed that will be capable of transporting you to a primitive world that will sustain your retched lives. There you shall live among the heathens until death claims your worthless souls. Your passion for war and violence shall be eliminated from our world. Your supporters will be hunted down and imprisoned. The cycle of violence that you inflicted upon us is at an end. There is no appeal…there is no reprieve. This judgement is final and will be carried out immediately upon completion of the transport ship. This is the will of the people.”

There…it was done. Finally, the centuries of war that these leaders had imposed on this world were over. The world was united and now at peace. So to were the justices of the tribunal. The only unnerving moment was Bismark as he was being drug from the courtroom in chains yelling “I will return! If it takes me five thousand years, I will return!” The justices all silently trembled at this remark.

The sentence was carried out as imposed. The transport ship ejecting the life pod of each leader at various points around this primitive world. It did seem that there were some wondering bands of humanoids down there but that was the least of the worries of the ships crew. They were simply happy to have this filthy duty behind them. They smiled on their return trip knowing that the warmongers could no longer practice their evil craft.

-My first attempt! Be gentle. All criticism is welcome and appreciated. I recognize that many on this board have far greater expertise as writers than I could ever hope to. Still, I have gotten such enjoyment out of your stories that I felt compelled to contribute. Enjoy.
Troll on dope is like a moose on the loose - Grandpa Troll
Old December 27, 2003, 23:53   #2
joe08536
Chieftain

Local Time: 15:15
Not bad at all
I like the prelude to it all. It works well for me.

J
Old January 2, 2004, 09:48   #3
Paddy
Iron CiversApolyton Storywriters' GuildThe Courts of Candle'BreBtS Tri-LeagueC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC3CDG Blood Oath HordeCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG The HordeC4WDG éirich tuireannApolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

Local Time: 00:15
Local Date: November 3, 2010
Amazing 23 years ago I was involved in a D&D game that had a very similar opening. I look forward to where you take this.

I too, am new to writing, although I have been reading these stories for some years.

If I can offer you any advice, have fun with your writing, never think that an idea is too outragious, and never be disturbed if very few people leave comments.

I was a 'lurker' in the shadow world for way to long, and it was only when I started to write something that I understood the power of feedback.

So have fun and let the story roll....
Old January 4, 2004, 07:55   #4
ChrisiusMaximus
Civilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization III Democracy GameC3CDG Blood Oath HordeC4DG The HordeC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogCiv4 SP Democracy GameCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG éirich tuireann
Emperor

Local Time: 16:15
Nice start PLATO

Now dont take as long as me to update your stories
A proud member of the "Apolyton Story Writers Guild".There are many great stories at the Civ 3 stories forum, do yourself a favour and visit the forum. Lose yourself in one of many epic tales and be inspired to write yourself, as I was.
Old January 10, 2004, 17:20   #5
vovan
Apolyton UniversityCivilization IV CreatorsSporeApolyton Storywriters' GuildC3CDG Blood Oath HordeC4DG The Horde
Emperor

Local Time: 09:15
Quite an intriguing start, PLATO. I hope you don't forget to keep this going.
Spore page
Old January 10, 2004, 20:01   #6
unscratchedfoot
Prince

vovan How fast do you read? Dude, your post here is 1 minute after your post on marcos' latest space machine thread. Considering the time it takes to type & and post a message, that means you read this story in less than 30 seconds.
Old January 10, 2004, 20:06   #7
vovan
Apolyton UniversityCivilization IV CreatorsSporeApolyton Storywriters' GuildC3CDG Blood Oath HordeC4DG The Horde
Emperor

No it doesn't. I first read as much stories as I can fit into myself, and then comment to all of them. As opposed to read-comment-read-comment. So, the one minute is exactly how long it took me to type up the response.
Spore page
Old January 11, 2004, 03:01   #8
PLATO
Apolyton Storywriters' GuildGalCiv Apolyton EmpireCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameThe Courts of Candle'BreC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogC4DG The HordeC4WDG éirich tuireannC3CDG Blood Oath Horde
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by vovan
Quite an intriguing start, PLATO. I hope you don't forget to keep this going.
I won't. Time...such a precious commodity. Thanks for the interest. I've got some good ideas where I want to take this, just need the time to sit down and do it. I actually anticipated having some time or I wouldn't have started. Sorry to keep you waiting.

Last edited by PLATO; January 14, 2004 at 01:01.
Old January 11, 2004, 21:29   #9
SKILORD
Never Ending StoriesCivilization III MultiplayerApolyton Storywriters' Guild
King

I want to see more!

Very nice beginning, yes, there must be more.
Old January 19, 2004, 12:35   #10
Paddy
Iron CiversApolyton Storywriters' GuildThe Courts of Candle'BreBtS Tri-LeagueC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC3CDG Blood Oath HordeCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG The HordeC4WDG éirich tuireannApolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

Ok, so can we please have some more soon...?
Old January 19, 2004, 18:07   #11
Easthaven I
Prince

Very cool and creative introduction, I will be waiting for more.
Old January 19, 2004, 20:04   #12
PLATO
Emperor

Hey guys! I am actually working on the next installment right now. Should have something posted this week. Thanks so much for your interest...and your patience!
Old January 19, 2004, 21:31   #13
vovan
Emperor

Would be good to see what it is you are working on.
Spore page
Old February 5, 2004, 08:55   #14
Paddy
Prince

Hi Plato,

we have not forgotten you.

Hope you are having a great week.
Old February 5, 2004, 15:41   #15
EQandCivfanatic
Apolyton Storywriters' Guild
Chieftain

waiting eagerly
Old February 5, 2004, 16:38   #16
PLATO
Emperor

I have worked on two or three drafts...I'm just not happy with what is coming out. I have this picture in my mind but am struggling to get it to paper. I will do my utmost to have something this weekend. I really want to share the tale that I have in mind and I am really sorry to keep everyone waiting.
Old February 6, 2004, 21:43   #17
ChrisiusMaximus
Civilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization III Democracy GameC3CDG Blood Oath HordeC4DG The HordeC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogCiv4 SP Democracy GameCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG éirich tuireann
Emperor

Oh come on PLATO did'nt I tell you not to take as long as me to update your story

I know I know this your idea of getting your own back is'nt it!! just cause I kept you all in suspenders over Fight for Freedom, you thought you'd drive me nuts as well.

Well congratulations you did it, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE write some more Pretty Please, you know you love it when I beg
A proud member of the "Apolyton Story Writers Guild".There are many great stories at the Civ 3 stories forum, do yourself a favour and visit the forum. Lose yourself in one of many epic tales and be inspired to write yourself, as I was.
Old February 9, 2004, 00:00   #18
PLATO
Emperor

Bismarck’s Tale
The Beginning

Bismarck woke from the shock of the landing. He gave himself a quick once over…nothing broken. Good. That was a start. He looked around the life pod he had been so ignobly thrown into. What had they given him? There was a metal storage box attached to what he had come to call the “front” of the cramped cabin. After some fiddling with the latches for a few minutes he was able to open it. Within were a set of rations (maybe a weeks worth), a small survival kit, an aboriginal spear and three scrolls. He looked at the spear with disgust…what was this for? Was he expected to hunt for food? He who had commanded a continent and bent an army of two billion people to his will? His disgust quickly changed to realization. That was exactly what they intended him to do. He sat down hard and exhaled with a heavy sigh. The road back to Alpha Centuari was going to be a long one.

Two of the scrolls were bound by simple twine, but there was something different about the third one. He picked it up and looked over it. It had the Justice Seal upon it. Bah! What further could those idiots have to say to him? Again the realization of his plight hit upon him. He tore open the seal and read the scroll.

“Bismarck,

You are now upon the world of your exile. Contained within in this storage box are the rudimentary items needed for your survival. The two scrolls contain knowledge from the dawn of time that will enable you to practice a trade and defend yourself among the barbarians of this world. Such was the judgment of The Council against the will of the court. This is the last communication that you will ever hear from our world. Your exile is permanent and irrevocable.”

Bismarck looked at the two scrolls. One was marked Warrior Code and one marked Bronze Working. At least this was something…not that he ever intended to work Bronze!
It was time to face this new world. He gathered up the items and made himself ready. He threw the latch on the seal and looked upon the new world. An unexpected voice broke the silence. “Module self destruct initiated…Self destruct will implement in ten minutes” Bismarck strode out to meet the dawn.
Old February 9, 2004, 00:02   #19
PLATO
Emperor

Contact

Bismarck had been moving at a steady pace for two days now. The first order of business was survival. He had been looking for a sheltered place near water when he had seen the smoke on the horizon. Smoke meant people…people meant survival. People meant civilization and that meant power. Bismarck smiled.

The place of the smoke was drawing nearer now and Bismarck quickened his pace. As he was nearing what looked to be the last rise before reaching it he suddenly found himself face to face with three savages. How stupid of him not to have thought of sentries! Of course any group would post sentries. He vowed not to make this mistake again as he drew forth the spear he carried. Upon seeing him draw the spear, the three savages all drew clubs from their belts and begin to circle him. Their movements were awkward and clumsy to Bismarck. He assumed a defensive posture while trying to think of a way to keep from killing these fools. Just by what he had seen so far he felt not the least bit threatened. The one on the left (Bismarck had dubbed him “Blondie” for obvious reasons) moved toward Bismarck in a rush! Bismarck quickly swung the spear into line with him. He almost failed to see the one behind him draw a rock from his pouch. Ahh…very clever. Perhaps there was something to work with here. Bismarck stepped to his left, slid the spear down its length within his hand, and turned and swung the spear at the ankles of the rock thrower. As soon as he felt contact with flesh he was already shifting his weight to draw the blunt end of the spear into the stomach of the third savage that was charging at what appeared to be his exposed flank. With the maneuver complete and both savages lying on the ground, Bismarck swung the tip of the spear back in line with Blondie. He had guessed right that Blondie’s charge was a feint and the planned pause of it had allowed Bismarck the time he had needed to recover his position. He came to rest with the tip of the spear at Blondie’s throat. With his most authoritative voice he commanded, “Hold!” The sound seemed strange to Bismarck as the universal translator imbedded in his skull and neck did its work. Blondie stopped in his tracks. The two other savages begin to rise and Bismarck shifted his position so that he could maintain the spear at Blondie’s throat and still keep the other two in his sight.

“You are not Scythian,” Blondie said matter of factly. “Yes, I know,” Bismarck said. “I am a teacher from across the great mountains. I have come to you by will of the gods.” Blondie looked stunned for a moment and could do nothing. Slowly the words “From the gods…” came from his mouth and he dropped to the ground in a position of worship. The other two immediately followed suit. Bismarck could not help but smile. It would take some time, but what else did he have? To work then. “Rise my children…the gods have commanded me. We have much to do.” Bismarck and his three new acolytes began the short walk to the encampment.

Last edited by PLATO; February 9, 2004 at 01:04.
Old February 9, 2004, 00:50   #20
vovan
Emperor

Very good, PLATO. I wonder how the other leaders will gain their following? Or is this only going to be a story about Bismarck?
Spore page
Old February 9, 2004, 00:53   #21
PLATO
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by vovan
Very good, PLATO. I wonder how the other leaders will gain their following? Or is this only going to be a story about Bismarck?
Thanks vovan. I am hoping to include all the leaders. Some have bigger parts to play than others.
Old February 9, 2004, 12:55   #22
ChrisiusMaximus
Emperor

Well well PLATO, that was excellent, definitely an original plot. At least I dont think Ive read anything quite like this before.

You must keep at this it is going to be fantastic, I cant say it any more clearly the concept you have here is superb.

What concept ? the concept of these warmongers being cast out of civilised society on earth and exiled to a far off planet on the other side of the galaxy, then left for dead but with the tools for survival for a fighting chance. Brilliant!!!

You could quite litterally go in all sorts of directions with this and end up with a truly extroadinary and memorable story.

Thank you for continuiong this and I look forward to many happy hours ahead reading this story as it develops.

Great work
Old February 9, 2004, 12:56   #23
ChrisiusMaximus
Emperor

Well well PLATO, that was excellent, definitely an original plot. At least I dont think Ive read anything quite like this before.

You must keep at this it is going to be fantastic, I cant say it any more clearly the concept you have here is superb.

What concept ? the concept of these warmongers being cast out of civilised society on earth and exiled to a far off planet on the other side of the galaxy, then left for dead but with the tools for survival for a fighting chance. Brilliant!!!

You could quite litterally go in all sorts of directions with this and end up with a truly extroadinary and memorable story.

Thank you for continuing this and I look forward to many happy hours ahead reading this story as it develops.

Great work
Old February 9, 2004, 16:11   #24
PLATO
Emperor

Ceasar’s Tale

The Landing
Ceasar gasped for air and pulled at the restraining strap. The life pod was hurtling downward with a force of nearly 4 gravities. Something was definitely wrong. Ceasar was no expert on space travel, but he knew enough to know that this was not how it was supposed to be. As if in response to this thought, the computer chimed in with its own confirmation, “Approach aspect deviating from planned decent. Stabalizer control…Offline.” Stabalizer control? What the heck did that mean? Ceasar felt the huge weight upon his chest increasing by the second. “Please assume crash positions…Impact in fifeteen seconds,” the computer voice calmly informed him. “Crash?!?” thought Ceasar. What had those morons done to him? The full force of the impact was lost to him however, as Ceasar fell into unconciousness from the pressure of gravity upon him.

The man stood upon the hillside watching the strange meteor streak toward him across the sky. He studied it carefully, as he did most things. His brother always called him a dreamer, but he preferred to think of himself as a thinker. Was it not, after all, his decision to search out new lands for the tribe? Had he not proposed the planting of the seeds that now provided abundant berries to them? Had he not been the one to show them that drinking from above the wash area of the rivers caused less sickness? A dreamer? Hurmph!. Just because his brother was more larger and more fierce meant nothing to him. Just because he had shown the other men how to brandish the leg bones of the mountain bears as weapons…just because he had driven away the stinking horse riding vandals. Hurmph! His thought process was interrupted as the crashing sound of the meteor moving through the sky reached his ear. He tried to judge where it would come to ground and by dead reckoning figured that it would be in the hills about a mile from here. Keeping one eye on the ground and one on the meteor he began to move in that direction.

Ceasar woke to the acrid smell of burning plastic. His vision was clouded by the thick smoke. He fumbled with the restraining straps to get them loose and then tried to rise. He fell face first into the floor of the pod. He couldn’t seem to work his left leg. Ceasar looked down and saw two inches of metal protruding from his thigh and cursed. Slowly he drug himself to his feet and braced himself against the wall. He pulled the seal open and heard the computer say “Self destruct deactivated…Timer sequence disabled.” Self destruct? “Hmm,” thought Ceasar. How to use that to his advantage. As the smoke cleared by billowing out of the opening, Ceasar noticed a metal storage box toward the front of the craft and drug his body over to it. It contained a weapon , scrolls, rations, and a survival kit. Ceasar laughed at this attempt by the council to assuage their guilt at marooning him! As if this made up for them stripping him of his power! He laughed again as he remembered Bismarck’s parting comment to the judges. “Five thousand years,” thought Ceasar, “I’ll just have to do it in four thousand!” He laughed at the thought of Bismarck returning to Alpha Prime and seeing Ceasar sitting upon the throne!
Suddenly Ceasar’s thoughts were interrupted by the sound of approaching footsteps. He grabbed the spear and turned toward the seal.

The man had never seen an explosion like the one when the meteor had hit the ground. It seemed as if the whole earth trembled. The man was thrown to the ground from the force of it, but he had seen where it impacted as he fell. Quickly he got to his feet and dusted himself off. This was an amazing discovery! This must be studied. How could he convince his militant brother that they must stay in this area long enough for him to learn this meteor’s secrets? The man was upon the crater now and the sight brought even him to a pause. This looked like no meteor. He was expecting a large rock, but this was smooth and shiny. What manner of thing was this? As he watched from the top of the crater, suddenly part of the object opened up! The man drew back. Every instinct told him to run, but his thirst for knowledge kept him in place. Smoke came billowing out of the opening for a moment and then seemed to dissipate. Did he hear the sound of a man’s voice within? The man’ curiosity got the better of him. He must know what the secret of this meteor is! He made his way down the crater…slipping and disloging rocks as he went. Perhaps his brother could have made it down without disturbing the loose earth, but who cared? Their was mystery here and he meant to solve it. When he reached the opening, he peered into the cavity and was surprised to see the tip of a spear move toward his nose. It was a man! And inside a meteor too! The man held his ground and spread his arms, palms facing up and said, “Welcome…I am Romulus”
Old February 9, 2004, 18:26   #25
ChrisiusMaximus
Emperor

Nice stuff
Old February 9, 2004, 19:24   #26
PLATO
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by ChrisiusMaximus
Nice stuff
Thanks Chrisius! Sorry it took me so long.

More to come...
Old February 9, 2004, 21:14   #27
vovan
Emperor

Cool stuff, PLATO.

Leaves you wondering how the next leader fares.
Spore page
Old February 10, 2004, 06:45   #28
Paddy
Prince

Thank you Plato.

Yes thank you very much.
Old February 13, 2004, 17:03   #29
PLATO
Emperor

Thanks vovan and Paddy! It means so much to know others enjoy.

Cleopatra’s Tale
The wind blown sand made visibility near zero as Cleopatra walked across the barren landscape. What a god-forsaken place, she thought. Her life pod had landed well enough several miles behind her present location. She had been shocked when it promptly blew itself up just ten minutes after exiting it. She had slung the ration pack and the scrolls over her shoulder and started moving east, hopefully to the tiny stretch of green she had seen on her decent. She had been going for close to four hours through the desert, one plodding footstep after another, when the storm hit. What a storm it was! She was now moving at an angle to the wind, trying to keep the grit from entering her nose and mouth. Just when she thought she was in the best position, the wind would shift ever so slightly filling her nose with sand yet once again. Cleopatra was not deterred though. If anything, she was resilient. She drew here golden colored cloak around her head and shifted her direction slightly once again. At once, both cursing and daring the storm, onward she plodded through the haze.

During this time she took time to reflect on what had happened on Alpha Prime. How stupid were the wars that had led to her ruin! She had been empress of the northern island of the great sea. Hers had been a land of peace. Her people, while worked hard, were content under her rule. The prosperity they enjoyed had made them seem to forget the freedom they had under the old republic. Then that damnable Caesar and the horde he ruled could just not be content with what they had. The attack had been sudden, unprovoked, and horrible. Her response was equally terrible. Their allies had soon been brought into the fray. For five hundred years they had struggled and in the end their world was in shambles and their power stripped. Cleopatra vowed to herself, in this moment, that she would use whatever resources this world possessed to ensure that Caesar would soon see his end. She would not let him come to rule this world as he had attempted to do on their home world. Her vow strengthened her and the storm tempered her. Her being now felt alive with purpose.

The storm had continued for two days when it finally began to abate. Cleopatra had no idea how far off of the easterly line she had chosen that she might be. By dead reckoning and the occasional glimpse of the sun, she determined that she was perhaps south east of the green delta that she had been moving toward. Ahead of her she could make out a rocky and sparse terrain rising from the endless desert sand. At least the change would provide some variety. The closer she came to this new terrain, the more the storm waned. Cleopatra could now see some distance and begin to look for signs of life. Overhead she saw a small bird flying in her direction. It was apparently attracted to the glimmering of her garment. She paused and watched the bird as it drew near and then landed upon her shoulder. Cleopatra was taken aback by the birds beauty and grace. She mentally named the bird “Falcon” after the long dead General who had led her troops.

Suddenly she was startled as a group of men came over the rise in the rocky outcrop. They were clad in the garb that laborers of her world had worn…bear to the waste, a short work shiff and sandals. As they presented no threat, Cleopatra faced them aquarely and waited. The falcon on her shoulder cocked its head and seemed to be content to wait as well. The men shielded their eyes as they were staring into the late afternoon sun and froze as they saw the majestic Cleopatra standing there. Suddenly their was a burst of conversation among the men. Cleopatra could not make out their conversation from this distance, but one unfamiliar word kept ringing out to her…it was the name “Isis”.
Old February 13, 2004, 17:51   #30
ChrisiusMaximus
Emperor

This just keeps getting better and better, I cant wait to see how you develop this thing.

One minor niggle, a few small typos need editing out.

Keep it coming PLATO