Old December 29, 2003, 09:14   #1
Meatros
Settler

Local Time: 15:18
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Island City
Alright, it's the 1600's and I have a problem with my Civ. I attacked a rival civilization because...erm...uh...well they were ripe for the plucking I suppose. In any event, I beat them back to one city and their military is thoroughly destroyed. My problem is that this one city is on an island-a one square island.

In other words I can't invade with ground troops because there are no free squares to put them. My bombardments aren't destroying the city either.

Any suggestions?
Meatros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29, 2003, 09:19   #2
Paddy
Iron CiversApolyton Storywriters' GuildThe Courts of Candle'BreBtS Tri-LeagueC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC3CDG Blood Oath HordeCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG The HordeC4WDG éirich tuireannApolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

Local Time: 00:18
Local Date: November 3, 2010
Look like that City will survive until you have Marines...

I can not think of another unit with the Marine ability.
Old December 29, 2003, 09:24   #3
Meatros
Settler

D'oh!

Grumble....

Well, they aren't that far away so I'll have to hold out...

Granted the othe Civs are quite annoyed with me...
Meatros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29, 2003, 10:16   #4
ike0481
Chieftain

Local Time: 09:18
I had a similar problem with an island city yesterday. I was in the modern age and had modern armor and the inca who was still in industrial with musketmen attacked and razed one of my beloved cities. As I was itching for a war anyways I took to getting my revenge by razing all 25 of their cities one by one. After razing the last city on their continent I thought I had them wiped out but then realized they had one more city sitting on a one tile square in the middle of the ocean. Problem was, I forgot to research for marines back in the industrial age and it would hinder my ability to get those ICBMs into production. DOH! So, I settled for peace and made the Inca sit in the corner and think about what they had done.
Old December 29, 2003, 11:03   #5
Paddy
Iron CiversApolyton Storywriters' GuildThe Courts of Candle'BreBtS Tri-LeagueC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC3CDG Blood Oath HordeCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG The HordeC4WDG éirich tuireannApolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

Hahahaha that is good, reminds me of primary school and Miss Watson
Old December 29, 2003, 11:46   #6
thorpey
Settler

Hopefully I'll spot a city like that before I attack.

Then I'll decimate them, and leave them with 2-3 cities left, make peace with them and demand that annoying 1 tile city as tribute.

Then kill off the remaining two cities when I feel like it
thorpey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30, 2003, 00:52   #7
steven8r
Prince

Meatros,

If the Scandinavians are a civ in your game (I'm assuming that you're not the Scandinavians), you could bribe them to go to war w/ the 1-square-island civ. They could take the city w/ Berzerks--they have amphib attack.

Otherwise, just do the research yourself and get Marines.
Old December 30, 2003, 04:47   #8
dexters
Apolyton Storywriters' Guild
King

I'm not big into wiping out civs unless I'm going for the Arrian deception or all their cities happen to be in ideal spots.

A civilizaiton that has been beaten (have had several cities taken out, military destroyed, capital taken etc) is much more profitable if they are to remain a client state to you.

They will fall behind in tech quickly and likely will no longer have control over the luxuries and resources which are now under your control. Sell thme techs, luxuries, etc. When they recover, and some civs recover to some extent, their dependence will usually mean you can bait them to join MAs with you against a third enemy. More units for your new enemy to fight. gg.

I've made profitable trades before where I beat back an enemy Civ just enough so they became dependent on me and I sold them iron which they used to control for 100 gpt. That's much better than occupying cities that's full of corruption.
dexters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30, 2003, 10:30   #9
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

Local Time: 11:18
Quote:
Originally posted by thorpey
Hopefully I'll spot a city like that before I attack.

Then I'll decimate them, and leave them with 2-3 cities left, make peace with them and demand that annoying 1 tile city as tribute.

Then kill off the remaining two cities when I feel like it
This is the best solution.

Unfortunately, once they're down to the 1 island city, it becomes their capitol, and you cannot get it for peace, even if you give them back other cities. So you just have to make peace for a while.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Arrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30, 2003, 16:17   #10
steven8r
Prince

There's even a worse-case scenario than the one described (although extreamely rare). Once I thought that I was about to take America's very last city and completely wipe them out. I took the city, but low and behold, they still show-up on the Diplomacy screen. I couldn't find them ANYWHERE.

I traded maps w/ everyone that I knew--I even traded maps w/ the Americans-hoping to find their capital.

Turns-out they had (in the words of NYE) gone Barb. I finally found them a long time later. They had a Settler in a Galley just sitting out in the middle of the ocean. Then my Battleship was finally able to complete my original quest. But it took me forever to find them.

Steven
Old December 30, 2003, 16:55   #11
joncha
MacNationStates
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by steven8r
I traded maps w/ everyone that I knew--I even traded maps w/ the Americans-hoping to find their capital.

Turns-out they had (in the words of NYE) gone Barb. I finally found them a long time later. They had a Settler in a Galley just sitting out in the middle of the ocean. Then my Battleship was finally able to complete my original quest. But it took me forever to find them.
It's even worse when the pathetic weasels won't accept your envoy to their floating empire... leaving you with war-weariness until you can track them down and sink them.

I had an even worse situation against the english, who had a mutual defence agreement with my real enemy (so peace with them never really worked). The buggers actually managed to culture-flip one of their cities back, despite running their government from a galley on the other side of the continent. Easy to take back, but I was less than enthusiastic about it.

jon.
joncha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30, 2003, 17:09   #12
Kuciwalker
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by dexters
I'm not big into wiping out civs unless I'm going for the Arrian deception or all their cities happen to be in ideal spots.

A civilizaiton that has been beaten (have had several cities taken out, military destroyed, capital taken etc) is much more profitable if they are to remain a client state to you.

They will fall behind in tech quickly and likely will no longer have control over the luxuries and resources which are now under your control. Sell thme techs, luxuries, etc. When they recover, and some civs recover to some extent, their dependence will usually mean you can bait them to join MAs with you against a third enemy. More units for your new enemy to fight. gg.

I've made profitable trades before where I beat back an enemy Civ just enough so they became dependent on me and I sold them iron which they used to control for 100 gpt. That's much better than occupying cities that's full of corruption.
Sometimes it's just fun to raze everything though
Old December 30, 2003, 23:25   #13
Cerbykins
Warlord

I did try the client state idea once...but it never really paid enough. Besides, I'm set in my 'Domination' phase now - so they are mine
I suppose, if I really wanted to get their faraway cities to give me units later, I could always draft
Old December 31, 2003, 13:05   #14
pauli
Prince

it would be a lot nicer if civs could properly surrender and become submissive.

/me misses smac...
Old January 1, 2004, 01:30   #15
Vince278
King

Seen the same in a current game. I just declared peace and thumbed my nose at them. I'm surprised the Vikings left them alone.
"And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
"Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
2004 Presidential Candidate
2008 Presidential Candidate (for what its worth)
Vince278 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1, 2004, 01:55   #16
steven8r
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by dexters
But it makes Resistance end so much quicker when there's no longer a 'Mother Country' to aggress, and Culture-Flips become a non-issue.

Steven
Old January 1, 2004, 02:35   #17
Paddy
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by skywalker

Sometimes it's just fun to raze everything though
there certainly is something peaceful about leaving their cities in ruins
Old January 1, 2004, 04:10   #18
Chaos_BF1942
Settler

I remember when that happened once, I had marines but it was pretty well defended and bombing the city wasn't helping, after I destoried everything in the city I never was able to hurt the Units inside it that much, and was losing units by attacking it, I Thought "To hell with this" and used an ICBM on it.

What does 'Gone Barb' mean? Forgive the newbie question.
Chaos_BF1942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1, 2004, 11:44   #19
Kuciwalker
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Paddy the Scot
there certainly is something peaceful about leaving their cities in ruins
And with lots and lots of nukes, you really CAN make a desert and call it peace
Old January 1, 2004, 12:24   #20
steven8r
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Chaos_BF1942 What does 'Gone Barb' mean? Forgive the newbie question.
Chaos, 'Gone Barb' means that a civ has no cities--only a Settler and possibly some units--like the Barbarian Camps.

In the case that I described, the Americans only existed as a Settler (and possibly a defensive unit) in a Galley floating somewhere on the ocean. Basically, they have no home and just wander the map.

If you're currious, you can read about a questionable strategy from NotYouEither here.

Steven
Old January 1, 2004, 12:42   #21
dexters
Apolyton Storywriters' Guild
King

Quote:
Originally posted by steven8r

But it makes Resistance end so much quicker when there's no longer a 'Mother Country' to aggress, and Culture-Flips become a non-issue.

Steven
Unless you have weaker culture relative to them, and are playing some wonker war monger strategy where you don't build culture improvements, flips are not my biggest concern usually and resistance ends when you end the war.

My wars in levels above regent rarely last the 20 turns.

And if you're playing on emperor, you'd be stupid not to go religious, and the religious trait gives you cheap cultural improvements which usually makes powerful culture easy to achieve.

I'll repeat what I said again. Wiping out a civ isn't always the best course of action. Making them a client state can be very very profitable.
dexters is offline   Reply With Quote