Old December 29, 2003, 13:24   #1
PrinceBimz
Prince

Local Time: 09:18
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Finally got around to getting it, great game!
I just picked up a copy yesterday for $25, finally. This is really a great game. I was up until 5am playing it! Been a while since I have done that with a game other then CIV3.
Old January 20, 2004, 08:29   #2
PLATO
Apolyton Storywriters' GuildGalCiv Apolyton EmpireCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameThe Courts of Candle'BreC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogC4DG The HordeC4WDG éirich tuireannC3CDG Blood Oath Horde
Emperor

Local Time: 10:18
If only we could get the word out. I think that the Civ community would embrace the game if they would give it a try.
Troll on dope is like a moose on the loose - Grandpa Troll
PLATO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21, 2004, 10:53   #3
Wojit
GalCiv Apolyton Empire
Chieftain

Local Time: 01:18
Local Date: November 3, 2010
And then Apolyton could rule the Metaverse! BWAHAHAHAH!

Errr....

*crawls back to the pit from whence he came*
Old January 23, 2004, 16:44   #4
PLATO
Apolyton Storywriters' GuildGalCiv Apolyton EmpireCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameThe Courts of Candle'BreC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogC4DG The HordeC4WDG éirich tuireannC3CDG Blood Oath Horde
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Wojit

Errr....

*crawls back to the pit from whence he came*

Undoubtedly we would with the talented gamers on this site.
Old February 3, 2004, 21:03   #5
dudemanjack
Warlord

Local Time: 11:18
I bought this game and I'm still on my first game. It seems pretty boring and not much to do for a loooooooong time. There are hardly any planets to colonize and all the good ones are already taken by the time I get there.
dudemanjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4, 2004, 08:09   #6
bakalov
Prince

Local Time: 18:18
H, you'll do better next time - if you do not improve, try reading some srategies first ...
Old February 4, 2004, 08:34   #7
PLATO
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by dudemanjack
I bought this game and I'm still on my first game. It seems pretty boring and not much to do for a loooooooong time. There are hardly any planets to colonize and all the good ones are already taken by the time I get there.
Yes, there are some excellent strategies running about. Some are very similar to Civ REXing strategies. Stick with it...it really is a great game.
Old February 9, 2004, 17:10   #8
Lo Rez
Settler

Local Time: 03:18
mines on the way ...think i may have made a mistake ordering the civ expantion pack also

o.O
Lo Rez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13, 2004, 16:18   #9
LDiCesare
GalCiv Apolyton EmpireCivilization IV Creators
Emperor

Local Time: 17:18
Quote:
Mmmm... Maybe it could help if I started submitting my scores again?

This game is great but it's a bit complex to learn the strats. You have to build up, which means expand, then research, build up a production base and a military. If you have the feeling you are doing nothing, the ai will probably pick you soon if it you play at any reasonable level. Plus you should be doing a lot of diplomacy early in hte game to trade techs. If you play civ with no neighbours,you won't have much to do in the early game either.
For isntance: Did you send constructors to grab the resources? It's akin to settlers/workers/public works.
LDiCesare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2004, 14:15   #10
marc420
Warlord

Local Time: 15:18
Hi,

I'm another "just got this game" guy.

I'm not real sure why I held off. I think the main thing in my mind was the "only play humans" bit. Now that I've seen the game, I'm not real sure why that made me hold off. With Abilities and Ruling Parties, you can pretty much set the humans to do whatever you want them to be. Its just when you don't know a game and you are looking at putting $40 into it, little things can make you hold off.

I'm into my first real game (medium map / normal dif) after a couple of learning experience game starts. So far I really like this game. Its an interesting mix of a complex game that's been kept simple in a lot of ways. Seems to have hit kinda-sorta the right point in keeping it both playable and interesting.

Too bad if they never got the downloading of strategies from the Metaverse working right. That was a really neat idea. I've always wanted at least an AI that learns from playing against me. This sounded even better. Of course, I don't know if this works or not since I'm just in my first game. But it would be really cool to see an AI learn to either use or defend a strategy like the Frigate-Rush strategy I've been reading about.

In general, kudo's to Stardock for the way they approach this business. I'm so sick of the sort of dump a game on the market then don't support it strategy that I see from so many companies these days. Probably one of the keys that got me to buy the game was the way Stardock seems to support it, put out a free expansion pack, and in general keep updating the game. Very nice work, ya'll!
Old July 8, 2004, 13:22   #11
Brent
Prince

Local Time: 07:18
I bought a copy quite a while ago and finally installed it this week. One game on the smallest size I got bored, started a war, and got creamed. Another game on the same size I had a lot of fun and won easily by culture. Then I took a plunge and started on the largest size and am having a blast. All of these I played as a Pacifist with all my rivals as pure good fools.
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26, 2004, 22:06   #12
Mr. President
MacSpanish CiversNationStatesNever Ending StoriesCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG Planet University of Technology
Emperor

I find Galactic Civilizations to be a good game indeed. I like lots of things: the ability to re-name enemy civilizations to those of people and things I don't like; naming all my planets after ones in Asimov's robot novels; the Galactic Senate; the abstracted espionage and destabilization sliders; the ability to rename ships (even though it usually takes too long to rename every ship); the random events where I can choose to be a cruel space Emperor.
Old July 27, 2004, 02:22   #13
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 02:18
I got this game for my birthday and am finally getting around to installing it. I'll post my thoughts on it later when I get the chance to play.
Old August 4, 2004, 23:48   #14
Mr. President
MacSpanish CiversNationStatesNever Ending StoriesCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG Planet University of Technology
Emperor

I've played a few games, and I have some opinions. Sort of.

Good stuff:

Most of the stuff in my last post in this thread.

Starbase strategy and trade wars.

Dilemmas, dilemmas, dilemmas!

Not so good stuff:

The artificial intelligence that governs technology trading. It's almost impossible to get a trade. Just this morning I offered somebody twenty-five technologies for Battleships, and they refused outright.
Old August 5, 2004, 01:05   #15
Brent
Prince

I'm usually very generous in my trades. Sometimes I offer all my tech for one of theirs, sometimes I limit myself to offering nonmilitary or just the communication tree techs.
Old August 6, 2004, 15:26   #16
LDiCesare
Emperor

The ai will not sell their military techs for anything remotely reasonable. But then they know that you'd attack them with these ships so maybe they are not that stupid after all. They buy green and yellow techs quite well, however. And they sometimes offer you dreadnought tech for whatever useless tech you have and they miss.
Note it's very possible to buy one tech from an ai (for money) and then resell it to everyone else and then become first in tech.
Old August 8, 2004, 03:40   #17
Mr. President
Emperor

Thanks for the tips.

For you guys, what is your favorite political party? The Federalist economic bonus appeals to me, as does the Industrialist production bonus. I like the War Party, too.
Old August 8, 2004, 04:01   #18
LDiCesare
Emperor

The one with +20 morale/+20 diplomacy. +Diplomacy is probably the most powerful ability.
Old August 9, 2004, 02:49   #19
Mr. President
Emperor

Ah, that's interesting. Is that because you can get better technology trades with the alien nations and they won't harass you?
Old August 9, 2004, 12:48   #20
Brent
Prince

I normally play as the Pacifists, but wage war anyway.
Old August 13, 2004, 13:34   #21
LDiCesare
Emperor

Quote:
Is that because you can get better technology trades with the alien nations and they won't harass you?
Partly. Actually, it's mostly because it's easier to bribe them so they attack one another, so they end up liking you better, are weaker, and will be easier to ally with in the end.
Old August 22, 2004, 17:19   #22
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 03:18
Whilst waiting for Civ4 or an upgrade to my computer (allowing me to play things like Max Payne 2, Far Cry and Doom 3), I have recently got EUII. Now I have an offer of $16NZ (about $12US) on GalCiv.

I hear that strategies are complex - more so than in Civ3? Does the game have a steeper learning curve than EUII, which I am gradually finding my feet with?

Anyways, here I go to accept the offer...

Look out for me on this forum sometime in the next few weeks when I start playing. Like EUII I will doubtless have many questions...

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!
MrWhereItsAt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27, 2004, 13:27   #23
LDiCesare
Emperor

I think this game is way better than civ3, but that's my point of view. I can finish a galciv game, civ3 games tend to drag along and get lost into micromanagement. You don't need mm in galciv, though you can certainly do some if you don't like spending money doing nothing. The ai diplomacy in itself is much more understandable and enjoyable than civ3, and the ai doesn't cheat except that it knows the map beforehand.
Old October 17, 2004, 23:09   #24
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 02:18
I finally played the game for the first time last week. Stayed up until dawn, always a sign of a good game.

Shame I don't have much time to actually play though. :/