Old January 20, 2004, 10:54   #121
Maniac
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyPolyCast TeamACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 17:21
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Quote:
Milton Friedman
Friedrick von Hayek
Darn, I keep confusing those two as they both have "Fried" in their name. Which one is the "founder" of monetarism again?

Quote:
However I don't accept mathematicians score higher.
I don't know if mathematicians especially score higher. I just used it as an example of the empirically researched fact that experience and training, besides inherent ability, influence IQ score.

Quote:
And I think Maniac's a little more than an average member of the population, when it comes to current affairs and economic knowledge
Well I haven't even had one hour of economy lesson in my entire life. Though that will be fixed next semested with an economics course, and I will be properly indoctrinated in the teachings of Keynesianism and Monetarism.

Quote:
Why not? Greenspan is a trained economist, doing exactly what any economist at university does.
I doubted if I should include him as he isn't dead yet.
Old January 20, 2004, 10:58   #122
Enigma_Nova
C4DG The Mercenary Team
Emperor

Local Time: 01:21
Local Date: November 3, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Drogue
Enigma: It's a logaritmic scale (or some other expanding scale), IIRC.
It is what we call a NORMAL DISTRIBUTION.
e^(-1*x*x)

Quote:
I'm still amazed in all the IQ threads on OTF that I still haven't published mine. Though I promised not to until JW did with his (I don't know who's got the highest on Poly, but im 99% sure it's one of the two of us, and I really don't want to know).
You're around 200, eh?
It is rare to find such kickass intelligence as we.

Quote:
it means there are 5 people with 180+ IQs for every 200+ person.
It means that there are 5 people with 80 IQ for every 100 IQ
And 25 60 IQs
And 125 40 IQs
So in fact, the 'average' would be much, much lower.
Now, for your lack of foresight, I offer you a cookie.
Enigma hands Drogue a tasty looking biscuit

Quote:
I'm the other way. After reading Sartre, it made me realise how wonderful life is. Sure it's gratuitous, it has no purpose and no meaning, but it's fun
I smile weakly at the thought of this.
Purpose and Meaning are ideas we might choose to construct.
I have Purpose but not Meaning. (Just because I want to do something doesn't mean it's worthwhile or right - it means I want to do something)
As for fun? Yes, a way to live, a way to die. I want to solve problems, and if it fun you can call that my motivator, but when it is not fun and when pain and exhaustion take in, I would rather work through to feel the joy of achievement than give up and do something impulsive.
Even if the joy did not come, I would sooner be productive than happy, though by its nature I will probably have both.

Quote:
Why not accept what you know, and live a normal life.
I've spent enough of my life in sadness to know what a 'normal life' feels like, Drogue. Giving up breaks both my productivity and my spirit, and while I have learned very well to live with depression, I can say that... whoever said life was good was an imbecile.

You might call it doubt, I would call it hope, but I do not 'know' that it is impossible, I do not 'know' that I am powerless and I do not 'know' that I will be killed by the very people I was trying to help. In this instance I may be confusing doubt for ignorance, but forseeing my death brings me anything but peace.

One day I may accept my failure, but I believe I have the desire to fix problems for a reason, and while I may not understand what that reason is or why on earth I have that attribute, I cite this reason as being developed by millenia of evolution, and evolution does not produce the obsolete.

Who knows? Maybe I am going to become extinct. But it looks like I'm still alive now (I think) so as long as I'm still alive, my dreams and longings are not yet dead.
As I see it I have only two options: Win or Die.
There is nothing else for me in this life.

Quote:
Completely. However your statements of your own gifted status seem to imply that you believe you have to dumb down. While, to almost anyone you would, there will be people here you would not need to. I already know of 3 people on Poly who have 180+ IQs.
Nescesity is a term that's highly overrated.
I don't need to change myself for anything. In fact, do I even need myself?

Quote:
Because I feel inadiquate at times, although mostly because I feel like myself, I feel like I'm talking as I would to someone who I knew was at the very least my equal, and because she understand me. Even when I feel like my thoughts are too much to trace, and I can't see where I get ideas from, she can understand them. And because I felt this from the moment I met her. I haven't adapted this to her, I always refuse to dumb down the first time I meet someone intelligent, incase it is not needed.
Oddly enough I never feel inadequate... Sometimes I feel as if I'm fading out of reality, or that my hope and willpower aren't there anymore, but never inadequate.
Always dying, never dead.

And as for Louise, I guess the fates have thrown you a bone on this one. Now all I have to do is wait for my turn.

Quote:
Part of it's just being on the same wavelength, part of it's because she is the most intelligent person I've ever met, that I almost feel the need to try to highten what I say. And partly because she won't tell me her IQ, although she got a full scholarship to her school on the bases of that test.
Finding one intelligent person is hard enough.
But finding two? What are the odds in that?

Quote:
Another part is that I've meditated for years, and I know when I'm alone, I think to myself. I know I don't dumb down to myself, I never have, it is my haven, so to speak. I talk to her as I talk to myself, at the top of my ability.
If you only knew the things I talked to myself about. I reckon it could make anyone go crazy.
Old January 20, 2004, 11:24   #123
Drogue
staff
Alpha Centauri PBEMNationStatesACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 SpartansACDG3 MorganACDG3 Data AngelsPolyCast TeamC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNsACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Apolyton Knight (Off-Topic Co-Moderator)

Local Time: 15:21
Quote:
Originally posted by Enigma_Nova
It is what we call a NORMAL DISTRIBUTION.
e^(-1*x*x)
Yep

Quote:
You're around 200, eh?
It is rare to find such kickass intelligence as we.
Depends what you consider around. In percentile terms, IIRC, by all probability there are only about 10 200+ people in the world. I'm not quite that high However in number it would be close.

Quote:
It means that there are 5 people with 80 IQ for every 100 IQ
And 25 60 IQs
And 125 40 IQs
So in fact, the 'average' would be much, much lower.
Now, for your lack of foresight, I offer you a cookie.
Enigma hands Drogue a tasty looking biscuit
No, it means there are 5 people with 100 for every person with 80, roughly. 100, being the median, means that it would get sparser each side. 49% of people are above 100, 49% below IIRC (out of study of about a million, standardised for bias). However I was just illustrating the point, that small differences in the number are quite large in percentile. I usually work in percentile because it helps compare easily.

Quote:
I smile weakly at the thought of this.
Purpose and Meaning are ideas we might choose to construct.
I have Purpose but not Meaning. (Just because I want to do something doesn't mean it's worthwhile or right - it means I want to do something)
As for fun? Yes, a way to live, a way to die. I want to solve problems, and if it fun you can call that my motivator, but when it is not fun and when pain and exhaustion take in, I would rather work through to feel the joy of achievement than give up and do something impulsive.
Even if the joy did not come, I would sooner be productive than happy, though by its nature I will probably have both.
I agree, with the exception of the last bit. IMHO, your desire to be productive is bought on from a 'greater happiness'. I think we are all personal utilitarians, we always do what we think will cause us the most happiness. Not superficial happiness, but overall, long term inner happiness. If being productive did not make you feel happy (or proud, or a sense of achievement, whatever inner happiness is to you) then you wouldn't be productive. But we all want to accomplish something.

Quote:
I've spent enough of my life in sadness to know what a 'normal life' feels like, Drogue. Giving up breaks both my productivity and my spirit, and while I have learned very well to live with depression, I can say that... whoever said life was good was an imbecile.
That's not what I mean. Be productive. Your clever enough to find ways of doing things that work well, and need not involve you explaining you reasoning. What I mean is why change people to accept it. Most people cannot understand your thought process, because it's far to complex. If you want recognition for achievement, and achievement itself (or productivity) then simply do what you do well, the way you want to, and let others see the results. I'm saying it doesn't matter how clever they think you are, how you come up with things, if the results are good.

However depression is not what I'd mean by a normal life. I think life is good. I enjoy my life. But that's me. I got over depression because of two things: I like myself and learned to be proud of myself and my abilities, and because I had a reason to, a purpose I cared more about than how I felt.

Quote:
Oddly enough I never feel inadequate... Sometimes I feel as if I'm fading out of reality, or that my hope and willpower aren't there anymore, but never inadequate.
Always dying, never dead.
I get what you mean. Its more of a frustration that while I know the answer, I don't know how to express it, or that sometimes I just need to be better, so that I can always do the right thing for her. Sadly that's never quite true

Quote:
And as for Louise, I guess the fates have thrown you a bone on this one.

Quote:
Finding one intelligent person is hard enough.
But finding two? What are the odds in that?
She's gone to school next to my house for the last 13 years. What were the odds of us *not* finding each other.

Quote:
If you only knew the things I talked to myself about. I reckon it could make anyone go crazy.
Possibly. I know exactly what you mean

"Hm. I suppose I should get my waffle a santa hat." - Kuciwalker
Old January 20, 2004, 11:27   #124
Drogue
staff
Alpha Centauri PBEMNationStatesACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 SpartansACDG3 MorganACDG3 Data AngelsPolyCast TeamC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNsACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness

Quote:
Originally posted by Maniac
Darn, I keep confusing those two as they both have "Fried" in their name. Which one is the "founder" of monetarism again?
Milton Friendman. However Hayek was also a Monetarist, and about the same time too.

Quote:
I don't know if mathematicians especially score higher. I just used it as an example of the empirically researched fact that experience and training, besides inherent ability, influence IQ score.
Possibly, although none of the very high IQ people I know have seen a difference in their first and last test, by any large amount. You can learn it, but not very well, IMHO.

Quote:
Well I haven't even had one hour of economy lesson in my entire life. Though that will be fixed next semested with an economics course, and I will be properly indoctrinated in the teachings of Keynesianism and Monetarism.
Yet you know that a "Fried" founded Monetarism. A hell of a lot more than the average person (who wouldn't know what Monetarism was). Even many politicians would know a lot less, and they really shouldn't!

Quote:
I doubted if I should include him as he isn't dead yet.
Neither is Milton Friedman, is he? Besides, i was thinking maybe I should only include alive ones

Old January 20, 2004, 11:53   #125
Enigma_Nova
C4DG The Mercenary Team
Emperor

Quote:
No, it means there are 5 people with 100 for every person with 80,
Then it's two-tailed exponential. The one problem I have with that is that such a distribution function is not differentiable.

Quote:
I agree, with the exception of the last bit. IMHO, your desire to be productive is bought on from a 'greater happiness'.
Well if we define the feeling of 'I wanna do this now' as a greater happiness, then sure. I tend to term it 'decision' based on 'values', subonscious judgement on how to achieve what I want.

Quote:
If being productive did not make you feel happy (or proud, or a sense of achievement, whatever inner happiness is to you)
A. Vengeance B. Fix problems
It gets two of the things I like. (Though Vengeance should probably be called 'personal justice')

Quote:
That's not what I mean.
If you're asking me to give up my fight against The Enemy I decline! Consider it my 'agenda' to fix what I see is a problem.
(Though it's not nearly as general as that)

Quote:
Most people cannot understand your thought process, because it's far to complex.
IMO no, it's far too ASIMILAR.
If it were complex I could envision an 11-dimensional fractal object that extends into the complex and real planes.
What do you mean I can already do that?
Oh... Yeah, too complex. Righteyo then!

I don't work for others - I work for my own goals. Let me get that straight before anyone suggests working for the results that -they- want...

Quote:
I like myself and learned to be proud of myself and my abilities,
Whereas I keep beating myself up about why I haven't solved the world's problems yet.
Although I'm not guilty for my past mistakes, my inadequacies and incompetancies trouble me.
"If you have ever learned anything, it is because you have been hard on yourself."
Well Fred, I know TRUCKLOADS.

Quote:
I get what you mean.
Ummm... I'll take that as a possibility, but it's been a farce in the past. You understand me how you interperet me, yes?

Quote:
Where's my hot, caring intellectually arrogant maiden?
I WANNA HOT CARING SMART WOMAN AS WELL. *pout*

Quote:
Possibly. I know exactly what you mean
It's gonna be so weird when they get those MMIs and we can see each-others' thoughts.
I bet I make you crazy before you make me crazy!
Old January 20, 2004, 12:16   #126
Drogue
staff

Quote:
Well if we define the feeling of 'I wanna do this now' as a greater happiness, then sure. I tend to term it 'decision' based on 'values', subonscious judgement on how to achieve what I want.
Nope, I'd define great happiness as whatever that person believes will make them happiest in their life. It's kinda self-fulfilling, but it works

Quote:
Where's my hot, caring intellectually arrogant maiden?
I WANNA HOT CARING SMART WOMAN AS WELL. *pout*

Quote:
It's gonna be so weird when they get those MMIs and we can see each-others' thoughts.
I bet I make you crazy before you make me crazy!
I'm a CyCon, we're already telepathic

Old January 20, 2004, 15:03   #127
Enigma_Nova
C4DG The Mercenary Team
Emperor

I'm out to achieve -my goals-, and happiness isn't the forefront of my mind.
You could argue that justice and problem-solving are fulfilling, and that wisdom and power are means to these, so I'm being just as hedonistic as the rest of us.

Me? I don't see it as a seek of an emotion - I see it as the belief in a value - the value of right-mindedness.
It may or may not make me happy - but the main issue is not what the belief does to me, but whether I believe it.
Old January 20, 2004, 21:02   #128
Mr. President
MacSpanish CiversNationStatesNever Ending StoriesCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG Planet University of Technology
Emperor

I'm really glad I don't come in here any more.
Old January 21, 2004, 00:26   #129
Hercules
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 SpartansACDG3 GaiansC4DG VoxC4WDG éirich tuireannC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansBtS Tri-LeagueC4BtSDG TemplarsACDG PeaceACDG3 Data Angels
Deity

Local Time: 16:21
Quote:
Old January 21, 2004, 02:15   #130
Voltaire
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessNever Ending StoriesC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansACDG The Human Hive
King

Local Time: 08:21
Quote:
I'm out to achieve -my goals-, and happiness isn't the forefront of my mind.
You could argue that justice and problem-solving are fulfilling, and that wisdom and power are means to these, so I'm being just as hedonistic as the rest of us.
What then is justice? Wisdom? Power? Before one can seek one must know the destination otherwise we would be blind men walking abound a dark room looking for something we do not even know.
Old January 21, 2004, 03:13   #131
jtsisyoda
ACDG The Free DronesAlpha Centauri PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 Morgan
King

Local Time: 10:21
"Tarnation, Cletus, we done fell over a log o' ego in the road!"
"Uh-huh, it done blocked up Trash Talk Lane purty good, Jethro."
"We best get the ATV so's we can jump this puppy, Cletus."
"Go'n fetch it, then."
Old January 21, 2004, 05:49   #132
Drogue
staff

Quote:
Originally posted by Crimson Sunrise
This is just one thread that happened to turn into a discussion. There's enough decent spam here as it is!

Actually, it's quite strange that one of the pure spam-intended threads turns out to be a decent discussion, whereas many of the game threads decend into spam.

Like when I went into a "religion and spirituality" forum and flamed it, and it ended in the only religious discussion they've ever had there (in about 4 years of being up).

Old January 21, 2004, 12:34   #133
jtsisyoda
ACDG The Free DronesAlpha Centauri PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 Morgan
King

Quote:
Like when I went into a "religion and spirituality" forum and flamed it, and it ended in the only religious discussion they've ever had there (in about 4 years of being up).
The only one?! I'd insult them, but that fact speaks for itself.
Old January 21, 2004, 16:44   #134
Enigma_Nova
C4DG The Mercenary Team
Emperor

Yeah, when Drogue, Enigma and Voltaire show up we can neutralise even the most potent spam.
Old January 21, 2004, 19:39   #135
Drogue
staff

Hehe... All you have to do is let me into the Hive forums and everything would be clean and spamless then

Old January 22, 2004, 04:36   #136
Enigma_Nova
C4DG The Mercenary Team
Emperor

What happens when an Unstoppable Intellect hits an Immovable Spam?

...Decent people shouldn't think too much about that.
Old January 22, 2004, 04:38   #137
jtsisyoda
King

Hence your obsession with it.
Old January 22, 2004, 05:37   #138
Drogue
staff

I liked another one of Enigma's best (went something like this):
A member from each faction is given a rope to hold onto for as long as possible. Who wins?
The CyCon:
The Drone can't hold onto anything for longer than 9 hours,
The Hiverian are distracted by another spam thread,
The PUT member can't run the whole faction and hold onto a rope at the same time, and
The Pirate gets OWNED.

Old January 22, 2004, 09:31   #139
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 02:21
The Hive = spamthreads?
Methinks I joined the wrong faction.
Old January 22, 2004, 09:34   #140
Drogue
staff

Well, the hive=only spam threads (edit: from what i've heard ). The CyCon is a 'prolific' forum. And the CyCon's have the fun bit of war at the moment

Last edited by Drogue; January 22, 2004 at 10:08.
Old January 22, 2004, 09:58   #141
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Ahh, all is well then. I'm not a spammer, I am merely "prolific".
Such a nice term, that.
Old January 22, 2004, 12:32   #142
Enigma_Nova
C4DG The Mercenary Team
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Skanky Burns
The Hive = spamthreads?
Methinks I joined the wrong faction.
If you intend to spam up my glorious Hive you can expect a great deal of beratement. When there is a task to perform I am quite intolerant of incompetance (or slothfulness).
If you want a hedonistic trip, join the PEACE. Eat, Drink and be merry for tomorrow you will die.

Drogue, I often make serious or thoughtful threads.
As a consequence of them needing a three digit IQ to comprehend, they are ignored entirely.
Such a thread is left -ENTIRELY FULL- of highly intelligent posts.
Just one post.
My own.
Old January 22, 2004, 12:35   #143
Drogue
staff

However something like HongHu's RP takes a lot of skill too. It's still amazing how a faction so inefficiently run can still be the most powerful. I think that deserves a well done

Old January 22, 2004, 12:51   #144
Maniac
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyPolyCast TeamACDG3 Spartans

On an unrelated note, could a pirate please give some estimate when the turn will be posted?
Old January 22, 2004, 12:52   #145
jtsisyoda
King

Quote:
The Drone can't hold onto anything for longer than 9 hours

I think 9 hours would win. Holding a rope for no purpose is an illogical waste of time, so the CyCon would let go immediately.
Old January 22, 2004, 12:55   #146
Drogue
staff

Quote:
Originally posted by jtsisyoda

I think 9 hours would win. Holding a rope for no purpose is an illogical waste of time, so the CyCon would let go immediately.
Oooh, good one

Depends on the prize though

Old January 22, 2004, 13:46   #147
Skanky Burns

Quote:
If you intend to spam up my glorious Hive you can expect a great deal of beratement.
Don't worry, I won't go anywhere near Hive threads. Who knows where they have been?
Old January 22, 2004, 19:26   #148
Kody
ACDG The Human HiveACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 GaiansACDG3 MorganACDG3 SpartansACDG3 CMNs
Emperor

Quote:
It's still amazing how a faction so inefficiently run can still be the most powerful. I think that deserves a well done
Thanks

Quote:
Just one post.
My own.
Welcome to my nightmare.
Old January 23, 2004, 20:24   #149
GeoModder
ACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG3 Data AngelsC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogC4WDG The Goonies
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Skanky Burns

Don't worry, I won't go anywhere near Hive threads. Who knows where they have been?
Well, more change now that you now in advance
Old January 30, 2004, 21:01   #150
Micha
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 SpartansACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG3 MorganACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG PeaceACDG Planet University of TechnologyCivilization III Democracy GameC3CDG Team BabylonC4DG Team Banana
King

Local Time: 16:21
so this ugly thread has finally died ?