Old December 31, 2003, 23:45   #1
flipside
Warlord

Local Time: 16:26
Local Date: November 2, 2010
monopoly
I guess that this game is well known everywhere in the world.
I have a question.Has anyone actually ever finished a game ?
In my household the rampant corruption, bribery, cheating, embezzling, white-collar crime and alcoholism usually leads to it being abandoned halfway through for gentler pastimes such as, who can shave granny's nostril hair between her gigantic gulps of gin?
So anyway, hands up if you've ever finished, or even better, won a FULL game of monopoly played totally with fellow humans, or failing that, their close relatives.
Old January 1, 2004, 00:38   #2
Jaguar
C4DG Sarantium
Emperor

Local Time: 11:26
I have

Eschewing silly games since December 4, 2005
Old January 1, 2004, 02:06   #3
Sarxis
Rise of Nations MultiplayerAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
Emperor

I play with the original rules (no money on free pass). And yes, I have played at least one game to completion, and won.
Old January 1, 2004, 02:22   #4
JohnT
lifer
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Many times, many games.
Old January 1, 2004, 03:19   #5
rah
lifer
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Just another peon

Local Time: 10:26
We used to be able to get in 2 or 3 complete games in an evening. If you play by the straight up rules, it doesn't take that long. Especially after a few trades.

It's like RISK, if everyone knows what they're doing, most game will take less than 2 hours. People that end up using coins for boats because they've run out, just don't understand the concept of the game.
Old January 1, 2004, 04:45   #6
Space05us
King

Local Time: 03:26
Local Date: November 3, 2010
boats in RISK? Where did you get your version?
Old January 1, 2004, 04:48   #7
Space05us
King

as for Monopoly, Ive finished many games. few where I didnt cheat or steal. The game just begs for you to be a criminal, especially when your family is a bunch of smokers who have to leave the board every half hour or so to have another cigarette.
Old January 1, 2004, 18:22   #8
rah
lifer
Just another peon

Quote:
Originally posted by Space05us
boats in RISK? Where did you get your version?
Boats were the nickname for the 10 army counters.
Old, but not that obscure.
Old January 1, 2004, 19:02   #9
centrifuge
Call to Power PBEMCall to Power II MultiplayerCTP2 Source Code Project
Prince

Local Time: 08:26
I've played, finished, and won many games of monopoly.
Old January 1, 2004, 19:40   #10
Space05us
King

Quote:
you have the version with the roman numerals then i take it? the newer versions have cannons for the 10-army pieces.
Old January 1, 2004, 21:30   #11
rah
lifer
Just another peon

Actually the versions we played back in the old days had wooden squares for single armies and longer pieces rounded with three sides as 10-army pieces. But yes, they were nicked as boats.
Old January 1, 2004, 22:14   #12
Standup
Prince

Quote:
the newer versions have cannons for the 10-army pieces.
the newer version ! i think every version i've played in the last 20 years has had the the cannons. I don't feel so old anymore or maybe the UK version has always been cannons ?
Old January 1, 2004, 22:31   #13
rah
lifer
Just another peon

I guess my age is showing. The last version I bought would have been 30-35 years ago.
Old January 1, 2004, 23:10   #14
Mr. President
MacSpanish CiversNationStatesNever Ending StoriesCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG Planet University of Technology
Emperor

Local Time: 01:26
I've finished lots of games. Where I live we play very aggressively; buying three hotels on every street and crossing the Start space with only three dollars, and suchlike.
Old January 2, 2004, 01:26   #15
Zero
PtWDG Glory of WarInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamACDG The Human HiveC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG3 SpartansPtWDG2 Monkey
King

I play alot of default rules, $1 monopoly = $.01 real money, $20 buy-in to play.
Old January 2, 2004, 02:35   #16
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 23:26
Finished a whole bunch of Monopoly and Risk! games.
Old January 2, 2004, 10:20   #17
lord of the mark
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by rah

yep. i remember them being called boats.
Old January 2, 2004, 10:21   #18
lord of the mark
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by rah
Actually the versions we played back in the old days had wooden squares for single armies and longer pieces rounded with three sides as 10-army pieces. But yes, they were nicked as boats.

only version i ever played.
Old January 2, 2004, 10:52   #19
rah
lifer
Just another peon

I'm glad someone else remembers them being called boats. I'm not sure where the nick came from, but I remember playing in college and people from other parts of the country called them boats also. Maybe they were called that somewhere in the rules, since there were no risk websites back then. If not in the rules, I don't know how it would have become common usage. It's not like they looked like boats.
Old January 2, 2004, 12:37   #20
lord of the mark
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by rah
I'm glad someone else remembers them being called boats. I'm not sure where the nick came from, but I remember playing in college and people from other parts of the country called them boats also. Maybe they were called that somewhere in the rules, since there were no risk websites back then. If not in the rules, I don't know how it would have become common usage. It's not like they looked like boats.
Not in the rules, im quite sure. just spread around, thats all. It was a multiplayer game after all, and things just spread - person to person.

Contrary to what some young uns might believe, we were not all hermits before the internet.
Old January 2, 2004, 13:05   #21
rah
lifer
Just another peon

You may be right, but........

When we got to college back in the early 70's, and started gaming with people from all over the country, different things had different nicks or rules depending on where people came from. D&D and Euchre being the most varied. Heck euchre rules seems to vary by neighborhood. EVERYONE I played with in college called them boats, so it would lead me to believe that it was published somewhere. The rules would have been the most logical place. But, as always, I'm probably wrong.
Old January 2, 2004, 13:18   #22
rah
lifer
Just another peon

And yes I am.
I just downloaded older versions of the rules, and not once are they referred to as boats. they had rules for 1959, 1963, 1975, 1980 and 1999. It was interesting to note that 1959 was the only one that referred to the pieces as squares and oblongs. Every other one refers to the plastic style pieces.
Old January 2, 2004, 14:32   #23
lord of the mark
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by rah
You may be right, but........

When we got to college back in the early 70's, and started gaming with people from all over the country, different things had different nicks or rules depending on where people came from. D&D and Euchre being the most varied. Heck euchre rules seems to vary by neighborhood. EVERYONE I played with in college called them boats, so it would lead me to believe that it was published somewhere. The rules would have been the most logical place. But, as always, I'm probably wrong.
let me speculate.

DnD and Euchre were not quite mainstream - er Euchre? Like I vaguely recall having heard of it - quite sure i never played it, and im willing to bet no one on MY block played it

DnD - well what can i say I mean of course DnD rules would be vary - I mean think of the kinds of folks (hope im not insulting anyone) who liked to play DnD - sure they were making up their own rules, and just about everything else i suppose.

Risk OTOH, was a standard commercial game, that one could play with most friends, brothers, etc. Im sure i played with lots of people from lots of different social networks, and in my case lots of widely scattered parts of NYC. I suspect RISK nicknames were much more likely to become "epidemic" than DnD rules.
Old January 2, 2004, 15:12   #24
rah
lifer
Just another peon

As I said in the next post, you must be right since it wasn't in the rules. But it's weird. Where did we get if from? That's what we called them from the beginning, in the mid 60's. We hadn't played anybody from outside our neighborhood. Obviously we weren't the originators, so it had to come from somewhere.
Old January 2, 2004, 15:33   #25
Frozzy
PtWDG2 SunshineNationStatesCall To Power SuperLeague
Emperor

Please esplain how you can have a boat in Afghanistan
Old January 2, 2004, 15:38   #26
rah
lifer
Just another peon

That's exactly my point. It's not a common sense derived nickname, so it must have come from somewhere. I can't believe kids across the country all had the same inspiration to call it a boat.
Old January 3, 2004, 16:18   #27
flipside
Warlord

It sounds cultural, like there was something that united a lot of you in the U.S at the time, that you associated with this game; or maybe the rulebook answer you gave was correct.It sounds interesting though.
Old January 3, 2004, 21:10   #28
The Rusty Gamer
Prince

I hate it when people cheat at games like Monopoly and then when you complain they say "It's only a game. What are you so upset about?". Well, if it's only a game, why do they cheat, that's what I want to know?

Many people get bored with Monopoly after a while. I think there needs to be an official update to drag it into the 21st century. Perhaps one of the easiest things to do would be to update the Chance and Community Chest cards by creating some extra ones. I have a few ideas for these that I might post if anyone is interesting in discussing ideas for enhanced rules.

One idea that would be easy to implement - I thought of this a while ago but haven't had a chance to try it yet - is to use four dice instead of two, three white and one red. The red die would be interpeted as negative. This means you could throw anything from -3 to +17. You can even throw a 0 then! Think of the devastation if you happen to be on someone else's property with a hotel; you've just struggled to pay them the rent and then...you get hit again! A double, for the purpose of knowing when to throw again, would be seen as two pairs of numbers on the dice - a triple would not be interpreted as a double therefore. Apart from this, all standard rules would apply. A special note for the GO square - you only get $200 for getting onto or passing GO by moving forward. You would not get an additional $200 by moving backwards onto the square or by throwing a 0 when on the square.
Old January 4, 2004, 12:31   #29
lord of the mark
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by rah
As I said in the next post, you must be right since it wasn't in the rules. But it's weird. Where did we get if from? That's what we called them from the beginning, in the mid 60's. We hadn't played anybody from outside our neighborhood. Obviously we weren't the originators, so it had to come from somewhere.
I dont recall calling them boats in neighborhood games in say, 1972. (called them tenners, or whatever) - first heard boats in High School, I think (circa 1975 ) - possibly playing with someone more "networked" - a friend whose brother attended a major national university - maybe thats where he got it from. One could attempt to trace the origins, asking around, checking websites, etc. Quite a reseach project.
Old January 5, 2004, 15:01   #30
rah
lifer
Just another peon

You did get me thinking if we really started calling them boats at home or was it until we got to college. It was over 30 years ago so memory is always suspect.

I tried a little google research and was not rewarded. It will obviously require too much more research.