Old November 24, 2004, 19:15   #61
AlanH
Settler

Local Time: 16:34
Local Date: November 2, 2010
But the underlying terrain is the same in all Dianthus' situations. This is what I saw. There seems to be a random element coming into the selection of the overlay icon.

[edit] Or are you saying that the plains icons in a pure plains underlay are actually different icons?

Last edited by AlanH; November 24, 2004 at 19:24.
AlanH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24, 2004, 20:38   #62
Legend
Chieftain

Local Time: 03:34
Local Date: November 3, 2010
Yes. There are 16 distinct "all grassland" icons/tiles, and I think there are quite a few "all Plains" ones (maybe even using tiles from different files). Marking them with numbers, and with different colours for different files really makes it easy to tell!

I did a few tests:

Any hill not connected to another hill is always icon "0".

Two hills north-west/south-east are MOSTLY 2 and 8 (IIRC, verify later), and two North-East / South-West are MOSTLY (can't remember). However, there are certain situations where the two hills are both "0" (not 'joined'). This happens on certain combinations of underlying tiles. You get similar behaviour for three joined tiles.
Legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22, 2004, 01:52   #63
Dave_Shack
Apolyton UniversityC4WDG StrategaC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogC4DG SarantiumCivilization IV CreatorsCiv4 SP Democracy GameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Prince

Local Time: 08:34
For the "which icon to use" questions, I wonder if the x/y coordinates of the square come into it? As a programmer, if I wanted the appearance of a random distribution but wanted it repeatabile so the same map always looks the same, I'd hash the x/y somehow to come up with an icon index.
Old March 12, 2005, 16:07   #64
AlanH
Settler

Local Time: 16:34
Some BIQ questions/possible updates
The TECH data structure shows a length of 104. The byte count for the listed structure adds up to 108. 104 is the correct length for vanilla, and probably for PtW, but a C3C version 1.22 file I'm checking has a length value of 112. There appear to be two extra LONGs on the end, not just the one for flavours that's listed.

Anyone else seen this? Or is it just me?
AlanH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12, 2005, 17:36   #65
Legend
Chieftain

Local Time: 03:34
Local Date: November 3, 2010
Yes - I see two. I don't know what one of them is (I mark it as "unknown", but the other is "Flavour".
Legend is offline   Reply With Quote