Old January 4, 2004, 14:47   #1
Tillur
Settler

Local Time: 15:35
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Two Quick Questions.
1. Is it really good to start a war at the beginning when the opponents aren't ready and all army's are weak?I normally hold of until 750 BC - 500 AD. And sometimes I hold off until a computer builds a city near my city boundries. I just destroy that city and a few others and then I get a peace treaty if possible. But most of the time when I want to elimanate another player I build up a huge army and march them in at around 1500 AD. If I go to war earlier it's just to weaken them or to destroy nearby cities.

2. Is it better to keep your city borders conected or seperated and spread out?I always keep them connected unless I get a settler or city from the barbarian tribe things. It's easier to move with them all connected because you can build roads, mines and irragate.
Old January 4, 2004, 15:02   #2
:) Smiley
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

Local Time: 08:35
1. If your unique unit is an early one, as in something that will be obsolete by 1500, do it. Getting a Golden Age early can be a big help in expansion.

2. Spread out over as much turf as you can, you can fill in the rest later. The AI expands very quickly. A compromise approach is to grow in a line and then widen it.
Old January 4, 2004, 18:55   #3
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 11:35
Tillur.

#2 best to have all cities connect if possible.

#1 to vague

What are the settings and level? Early wars are often useful, if you do not have to travel far to execute them.

Is your neighbor a civ with a strong ancient UU, defense or offense? Can the civ make that UU, will it need a resource that can be denied or is missing.

I am guessing you are not playing at a high level or you would be risking a lot to attack really early. Demi the AI gets somehing like 9 off/def units to start. This requires a delicate touch to take on right away.
Old January 4, 2004, 20:23   #4
mrmitchell
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayCall to Power Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamNationStatesPtWDG2 Tabemono
King

Local Time: 09:35
#1 It all depends. Consider both of your UUs, the Golden Ages they'll cause, and the strength, advancement, etc. of both of your Empires. Also, consider if you'll get anything out of it--sure, it's enough to weaken an enemy early on, but it simply kicks ass when you weaken them and then beat two or three techs out of them at the peace negotiating table.

#2 Agree with vmxa--best to connect if possible. (There are a few rare situations where you won't want that, but they will make themselves obvoius as you play more.)
Old January 5, 2004, 19:07   #5
steven8r
Prince

Local Time: 09:35
Wars and Cities:

You want to be able to move units to both of them quickly.

Wars too far away, you spend all your time getting your troops there to attack.

Cities too far away, you spend all your time getting your troops there to defend.

Steven
Old January 15, 2004, 17:39   #6
ShadowPresident
Settler

Local Time: 15:35
If another civ encroaches on mine, I take a risk and build a city nearby in hopes that my culture will impress the other into flipping over to my side. I once took over an entire civ that way. Sure, it was a small civ and I did have to invade the capital since it can't flip, but it was as close as it comes to a bloodless coup.