Old January 5, 2004, 00:40   #1
AnotherKenlon
Settler

Local Time: 15:37
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Freakin' Aliens!
Is there any way to make it so you can play with random factions without having the hideously overpowered and annoying aliens in there?
(SMAX, o' course.)
Old January 5, 2004, 03:11   #2
Mr. Harley
Prince

Local Time: 11:37
Make sure you save the original, and remove the factions from your Alpha.txt. Other readers can correct me (on break at work, cannot check my game) but that should work.
Mr. Harley: I'm afraid my people haven't. I'm very sorry… I wish it were otherwise.
Old January 5, 2004, 03:34   #3
jtsisyoda
ACDG The Free DronesAlpha Centauri PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 Morgan
King

Local Time: 10:37
I usually take a few seconds to hand-pick some factions, and mix it up each time I play. In addition to avoiding the Aliens, I avoid Miriam and Cha Dawn and their whining. Call me anti-religious if you want (I'm not), but I can't stand them.

Shawnmmmmmccccc's suggestion seems good, though, if you're not afraid of changing alpha.txt like me.

Edit: <--- would never mess with alpha.txt without backing it up first.

Last edited by jtsisyoda; January 6, 2004 at 12:15.
Old January 5, 2004, 04:03   #4
Mr. Harley
Prince

I'll give it a try on my days off - I'll leave you folks the results over the next week or so, I'm playing Miriam (first time - with the Aliens) at Transcend (large planet) and it's a b**** of a game. Biggest challenge I've had in three years.
Mr. Harley: I'm afraid my people haven't. I'm very sorry… I wish it were otherwise.
Old January 5, 2004, 14:23   #5
Illuminatus
staff
Apolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization IV CreatorsACDG3 CMNsACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansC4WDG Team ApolytonAge of Nations TeamACDG3 Gaians
Provost

Local Time: 17:37
Aliens just seem to be overpowerd - in SP there is just a short time they kick ass up to first hundred and twenty or thirty years- soon Yang or Miriam will kick theirs
Old January 6, 2004, 05:25   #6
Mr. Harley
Prince

Don't try deleting them from the Alpha.txt file - it locked up the game . I restored, no problem. You might try posting on the SMAC Game Creation thread, there are some pretty knowledgable types there. Just phraze it - How do I edit out the Alien Faction - and note you DO NOT want to substitute custom factions. They have some interesting ones if you surf over to some of the mod sites.