Old January 5, 2004, 14:07   #1
Capt Dizle
ACDG3 Gaians
King

Local Time: 10:38
Local Date: November 2, 2010
A Rose by any other name
Pete Rose has finally admitted that he bet on baseball. This after 15 years of denial.

Now it will be interesting to see what MLB does about his request to be reinstated.

I was once a huge Reds fan and a huge Rose fan. I never felt that Pete's ban would be lifted until he confessed. Now that he has, I hope the ban sticks for the rest of his lifetime. I would support his reinstatement after death.

This is another case of Nixonism, Clintonism and stupidity. I wonder when people will learn that lying after the fact is worse that making a mistake. Of course, that is true only relative to the crime. And there lies the rub.

Having gotten in a bind it is difficult for folks to feel like they can be forgiven. Most of the time however forgiveness follows confession and repentance. At best we can only feel disgust for those who lie after they are caught. Clinton, for example, lying in the face of the American people...ugh.

The moral of the story is to let your corpses rot in the daylight as they will not stink so long as they would if covered up.

I am somewhat afraid that Rose's admission is part of a deal to get him back in baseball. Well, I don't really care since I stopped watching MLB when the players missed a World Series on strike.
Old January 5, 2004, 15:12   #2
Imran Siddiqui
staff
Apolytoners Hall of FameAge of Nations TeamPolyCast Team

Local Time: 11:38
The Hall of Fame is about players achievements. It should have nothing to do with gambling or any other crap like that. It's a disgrace that players like Rose and Jackson are barred from the HoF because of what they did off the field.
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
- John 13:34-35 (NRSV)
Old January 5, 2004, 15:20   #3
SlowwHand
inmate
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameGameLeague
Deity

He bet on his own team. Big deal.
Old January 5, 2004, 15:27   #4
Sava
PolyCast Team
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
The Hall of Fame is about players achievements. It should have nothing to do with gambling or any other crap like that. It's a disgrace that players like Rose and Jackson are barred from the HoF because of what they did off the field.
He's a scumbag piece of **** degenerate gambler who probably used his coaching position to influence his bets in his favor... does gambling in general warrant the ban? hell no... but he disgraced the game and abused his position. He should stay banned until he dies.

I say put him in the hall of fame... WHEN HE DIES!

btw, I agree with you about Shoeless Joe Jackson... he hit .375 in the playoffs for christ sake
Old January 5, 2004, 15:29   #5
Imran Siddiqui
staff

Quote:
He's a scumbag piece of **** degenerate gambler who probably used his coaching position to influence his bets in his favor...
So? He was a great player and is the all time hits leader... that's ALL that counts. I could care less if he 'disgraced the game'. In that case, all the players of the MLBPA should be banned from baseball.
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
Old January 5, 2004, 15:33   #6
rev
Chieftain

Local Time: 15:38
Sava: well, when you're coaching a team for lots of money, I'd expect you to to use your coaching position to influence the fortunes of that team, too. As long as he wasn't betting on his team losing, I don't see a whole lot wrong with betting your team will win.

That said, he should be admitted into the Hall of Fame both for his contribution to baseball and for the moral values he took away from it.
Old January 5, 2004, 15:39   #7
Ned
King

Local Time: 07:38
Didn't Shoeless Joe admit taking the money?
Old January 5, 2004, 15:41   #8
Imran Siddiqui
staff

Yeah, I believe he did, Ned.
Old January 5, 2004, 15:46   #9
Sava
PolyCast Team
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
So? He was a great player and is the all time hits leader... that's ALL that counts. I could care less if he 'disgraced the game'. In that case, all the players of the MLBPA should be banned from baseball.
and yes he should be in the Hall... when he's dead and can't profit or make money off of it.

don't do the crime if you can't do the time... plus he AGREED to the lifetime ban back in '86... a little late to change your mind Petey
Old January 5, 2004, 15:56   #10
Ned
King

Local Time: 07:38
Well, it is true that Shoeless Joe has been treated very kindly by authors and directors over the years. He has become almost a legendary hero - bigger in many ways had he made the Hall of Fame.
Old January 5, 2004, 16:06   #11
Imran Siddiqui
staff

Quote:
he AGREED to the lifetime ban back in '86... a little late to change your mind Petey
Yeah, he also agreed to be considered for reinstatment so you shouldn't ***** when he does get reinstated .
Old January 5, 2004, 16:12   #12
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

Pete Rose is a total scumbag. I absolutely loathe him.

This all comes down to whether or not you believe the HoF should take character into account (and, if you do, you've got some splainin' to do about some of the inductees).

As far as I'm concerned, I'll go with "letter of the law" on this one: Pete Rose broke one of Baseball's cardinal rules. For this, he was banned from the game for life. I don't give a flying **** if he admits it and apologizes for it (decades later as part of a cynical ploy to try and get his punishment lifted).

Posthumous induction is the way to go.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old January 5, 2004, 17:07   #13
-Jrabbit
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II MultiplayerMacCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization II Succession Games
Deity

This (leaked public apology from TV interview airing Thursday to coincide with release of his new book) is a cynical, disingenuous grandstand play that fully solidifies my opinion that Pete Rose is scum.

Hall of Fame? Sure, great player, most hits ever, overachiever, blah-de-blah. Let him in on merit, but ONLY when the others so deserving (see Shoeless Joe posts) are in, and maybe only after a similar wait.

Reinstatement into baseball? Nope. Never. Cry me another river of your false modesty and insincere not-really-an-apology, Pete. I'll still say no.

Pete Rose has disrespected the game he claims to love.
He has worked hard to make a fast buck off baseball, often using his gambling ban as a selling tool.
He accused his accusers -- including truly honorable men like Bart Giamatti -- of spreading lies about him.
He has lied about his illegal, unethical activities.
He has lied about lying about them.
Now he admits he lied.

So he thinks this "apology" is the path to reinstatement?
To seeing his smug mug as a part of our game?
To his employment by a major league team?
To being in uniform as a manager?

I can hear the proud parent now --
"Hey, little Tommy, here's a great role model for you -- Charlie Hustler!"

Tell your story walking, you pathetic old windbag.

"The Borg are gay." -Drake Tungsten