Old January 5, 2004, 19:57   #31
The Emperor Fabulous
Civ4 SP Democracy Game
King

Local Time: 08:39
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Of course this makes sense! We must prevent those who more proportionately do drugs (ie Blacks and Hispanics) from entering into the successful white world. Also, we must give them less opportunities, giving them greater reason to do the drugs in the first place.

Brilliant!

[/sarcastic rant]
Old January 5, 2004, 20:00   #32
Japher
Emperor

Local Time: 15:39
Yeah, this is how we'll by-pass AA
Old January 5, 2004, 20:01   #33
Patroklos
Emperor

How does insitisng that when people obey the law give them less opportunities? Are ypou insinuating that blacks and hispanics can not do the right thing just because they are poor, how racist of you.
Old January 5, 2004, 20:01   #34
Ramo
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 10:39
Quote:
Because it's against the law and you would be using government (those who make the laws) money to pay for your livelihood. It's a big F-you, IMO, it's bitting the hand that feeds you, so to speak.

Personally, if I had a kid and college, and I was funding them, and I found out that they had enough money to buy something I didn't approve of, I would stip them of their benefits for sure.

I am not saying don't do it, I am just saying don't get caught.
I'm not bombing government buildings, I'm making decisions that affect my health and nothing else. How amy I "biting" the government's hand?

Let's extend your logic further; should students who jay-walk be denied financial aid?
"Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
-Bokonon
Old January 5, 2004, 20:03   #35
Patroklos
Emperor

Ramo, your jay walking doesn't contribute millions o deaths world wide does it, mostly the poor disenfranchised people of South America. Or do you only care about poor people here?
Old January 5, 2004, 20:03   #36
Japher
Emperor

Jay-walking is not a felony, nor has it been proven to lower your propensity to learn.
Old January 5, 2004, 20:06   #37
Ramo
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

How exactly do I contribute to millions of deaths when I smoke some weed?
"Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
-Bokonon
Old January 5, 2004, 20:09   #38
Patroklos
Emperor

Jesus Ramo, is this website your ONLY link to the outside world?
Old January 5, 2004, 20:11   #39
Ramo
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Quote:
Jay-walking is not a felony,
1. Possession of small amounts of marijuana is generally a misdemeanor.
2. Why should that matter?

Quote:
nor has it been proven to lower your propensity to learn.
Dude, ring theory made so much more sense to me high.

Seriously, it's only a problem if it's excessively used.
-Bokonon
Old January 5, 2004, 20:13   #40
Japher
Emperor

Quote:
Dude, ring theory made so much more sense to me high.
Do you mean string theory?

Quote:
Seriously, it's only a problem if it's excessively used.
It is assumed that those who get caught use it more often than not, since the odds of one getting caught is slim. Besides, if you get caught you are probably to stupid to go to school
Old January 5, 2004, 20:14   #41
KrazyHorse
Deity

Local Time: 11:39
Quote:
Originally posted by TCO
I'm not in favor of subsidized tuition anyway.
That's because you like people ignorant so they'll vote for Republicans.

Get Rich or Die Tryin'
Old January 5, 2004, 20:17   #42
Ramo
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Quote:
Jesus Ramo, is this website your ONLY link to the outside world?
It's an honest question. I'd like to hear your explanation. I was also wondering if you believed tobacco smokers shouldn't get financial aid.

And I'd like to point out that it's prohibitionist policies that are contributing to all those deaths. Prohibition creates black markets where consumer rights and labor rights aren't being protected. Prohibition causes coca fields in Bolivia and Colombia to be bombed by us preventing the poor farmers from making enough to afford food. Blaming me for these deaths is pure hypocrisy.
-Bokonon
Old January 5, 2004, 20:18   #43
Bosh
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 00:39
Local Date: November 3, 2010
So a convicted murdered/rapist who got out on parole (probably because the jails are too overcrowded with nonviolent drug offenders) has an easier time getting college money than someone who got caught with a pot pipe once? Gotta love America, where logic is no impediment to the drug war...
Old January 5, 2004, 20:19   #44
Patroklos
Emperor

Poor ignorant minorities vote Democrat, thats why they have endevored to exacerbate racist tensions by insisting no minority is at fault for any of their problems. It is the eivl wihte man aiagn...

Sorry, its that damned silver spoon again, so hard to talk with it
Old January 5, 2004, 20:22   #45
Ramo
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Quote:
Do you mean string theory
Rings dude. It's an algebraic structure. Math, not physics.

Quote:
It is assumed that those who get caught use it more often than not, since the odds of one getting caught is slim. Besides, if you get caught you are probably to stupid to go to school
My appartment is in a fairly affluent area of town, so I don't have to be worried about the police. That's why I wont' get caught.
-Bokonon
Old January 5, 2004, 20:22   #46
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

People who smoke drugs are supporting the TERRORISTS!!!!!
KILL THEM ALL!!
Old January 5, 2004, 20:29   #47
Verto
Apolyton Storywriters' GuildNationStatesMac
King

If they can afford drugs, what do they need college aid for?
Old January 5, 2004, 21:12   #48
Shi Huangdi
Emperor

Why not just legalize drugs and forget it?

"I imagine the neighbors on your right are estatic." - Slowwhand
Old January 5, 2004, 21:15   #49
Japher
Emperor

Shi

Quote:
Poor ignorant minorities vote Democrat, thats why they have endevored to exacerbate racist tensions by insisting no minority is at fault for any of their problems. It is the eivl wihte man aiagn...

Sorry, its that damned silver spoon again, so hard to talk with it
I think I like Patrokolus
Old January 5, 2004, 23:17   #50
Spiffor
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG LegolandApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 17:39
This is simply unforgivable
So, because of past offenses, you're doomed never to afford an education, never to get to a good carreer? This is simply extremely wrong, because you basically give a life sentence for some youth syupidity

Ad if you say the problem is the lack of money, if you're saying the richest country in the world cannot afford college education for all those who are fit for it, then there is a terrible problem with your education system Unforgivable as well.
Old January 5, 2004, 23:28   #51
Patroklos
Emperor

Well the problem with out country is everyone THINKS they deserve whatever they want, such as a college education. Grades, what are those? There is no such thing as making intelligent but less than academic youths attend technical schools like in some European countries. Every is unique and special here.

>warm fuzzies all around<

They are not doomed to failure, all they did was to delay your application or require counceling after commiting an ILLEGAL ACT. Alot of credit card companies devestate your credit rating for much less, and then make you wait years and years before you get anything even close to a clean financial record. THAT is much more devistating to alow income family. And these people didn't even break the law.

A bigger problem for American youth wouldn't be having to wait a year to enter college, rather growing up believing there is no consequences for their actions. I would much rather get slapped down and learn a thing about reality at 19 than later. And there are always scholarships, which is what got me through college when my first year of federal aid was denied.

And Spiffor, I am sure the stories about our roads bieng paved in gold were rebuked by at least one French immigrant writing home j/k
Old January 5, 2004, 23:45   #52
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

Quote:
A bigger problem for American youth wouldn't be having to wait a year to enter college,
Given how American youth already has troubles with intelligence, I'd say it'd be a pretty big problem.

Quote:
rather growing up believing there is no consequences for their actions.
Yeah, see, that ties in with intelligence.
Old January 5, 2004, 23:52   #53
Spiffor
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG LegolandApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 17:39
Quote:
Originally posted by Patroklos
And Spiffor, I am sure the stories about our roads bieng paved in gold were rebuked by at least one French immigrant writing home j/k
You don't need roads to be paved in gold to offer a decent education to everyone fit for it.
In France and Germany, our GDP per capita is inferior to yours, yet everybody who is willing can get an education (the main problem wrt inequality of chances, at least in France, is the structural demotivation among the alienated populations). Universities and trade schools are public, and relatively few students have to work for their studies. Money becomes really selective only for the top-end universities.
Old January 5, 2004, 23:52   #54
Ramo
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Quote:
And there are always scholarships, which is what got me through college when my first year of federal aid was denied.
Good for you, but I need my loans to help support my mom.
-Bokonon
Old January 5, 2004, 23:55   #55
Patroklos
Emperor

Help support your mom?

Student loans are used for school only, using them for anything else has a withering total percentage penalty. I honestly hope you aren't doing that. Besides, how would getting academic scholarships not let you take care of you mom? It is free money.
Old January 5, 2004, 23:58   #56
Ramo
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

I don't get that much scholarship money. And I have no idea what "whithering total percentage penalty" means.
-Bokonon
Old January 6, 2004, 00:01   #57
Patroklos
Emperor

It they catch you using your money for something that is not a legitimate college expense, which are in the paperwork, they charge you a penalty which is a percentage of the total student loan. Amongst whatever else they decide. Alot of graduates get in trouble with their loans.

Student Loans and such are not free money, scholarships are (ie they rarely check what you use it on for most)
Old January 6, 2004, 00:10   #58
Ramo
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

But it's arbitrary to say whether that money came from my paycheck or my loans since they're both deposited in my bank account.
-Bokonon
Old January 6, 2004, 00:37   #59
Patroklos
Emperor

You take the left overs off your next pre approved car loan and pocket it and tell me what happens

Seriously, they know what the money is spent on. They have legions of accountants with pocket protectors and three inch glasses that have nothing better to do, and like nothing better, than roasting college grads that will lead more successful lives than them.

People get burned by this, ALOT. But it really doesn't matter if you put it in your bank account or not, you still have to pay for college, and you still have to pay the loan back anyways, plus interest after graduation.
Old January 6, 2004, 00:50   #60
Ramo
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

I still don't understand how they can tell whether I'm paying rent (presumably a legit college expense) with the money from my paycheck or loans. And I don't see how lots of accountants could solve that problem any better than one.
-Bokonon