Old January 9, 2004, 19:47   #121
Agathon
Mac
Emperor

Local Time: 00:39
Local Date: November 3, 2010
Right clicking is also used to control apps from the Dock.

e.g.
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	picture 1.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	42.7 KB
ID:	61341  
Old January 9, 2004, 19:55   #122
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

Local Time: 09:39
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Inconsistent interfaces? Apple is stuck in the 1980s for usability.
Old January 9, 2004, 20:07   #123
Agathon
Mac
Emperor

Old January 9, 2004, 20:15   #124
BustaMike
The Courts of Candle'Bre
King

Local Time: 07:39
Location: You think you're better than me? You've been handling my ass pennies!!!
Agathon... I know all about the menus within the OS. My gripe is that right clicking will not get me menus in programs because they're on the mac. For example, I don't believe this menu exists on a Mac:
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	untitled-1.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	11.7 KB
ID:	61342  
Old January 9, 2004, 20:19   #125
Spiffor
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG LegolandApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 17:39
It's a good thing Mac makes it possible to use contextal menus. I didn't know it did it. This thread actually raised my opinion of Macs, as I didn't know of the contextual menus, nor did I know the mac superiority in the domain of graphical creation was real.
Old January 9, 2004, 20:31   #126
Agathon
Mac
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by BustaMike
Agathon... I know all about the menus within the OS. My gripe is that right clicking will not get me menus in programs because they're on the mac. For example, I don't believe this menu exists on a Mac:
I'm afraid I'm out of ammo on that one, I don't have Photoshop 7 so I have no idea.

In Photoshop 6 you could enable them by installing an extension from Adobe.

Presumably this has been fixed in PS7.
Old January 9, 2004, 20:32   #127
Agathon
Mac
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Spiffor
It's a good thing Mac makes it possible to use contextal menus. I didn't know it did it. This thread actually raised my opinion of Macs, as I didn't know of the contextual menus, nor did I know the mac superiority in the domain of graphical creation was real.
If you want a good account of the differences go to xvsxp.com

There's a good forum there with lots of angry users as well.
Old January 9, 2004, 20:34   #128
Agathon
Mac
Emperor

Quote:
Actually they've always had them AFAIK. What do you mean by superiority in Graphical Creation though?
Old January 9, 2004, 20:38   #129
Agathon
Mac
Emperor

This what you were looking for BM?

You can see the tool buttons have contextual menus by looking at the graphic on the bottom right of the buttons that have one.

Presumably they are accessed by a right click or a double click (as in Graphic Converter).
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	pete_ps7_small.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	7.6 KB
ID:	61343  

Last edited by Agathon; January 9, 2004 at 21:10.
Old January 9, 2004, 20:48   #130
Spiffor
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG LegolandApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 17:39
Quote:
Originally posted by Agathon
What do you mean by superiority in Graphical Creation though?
I believe I have gathered in this thread that there was Mac-only superior software for graphics.
Old January 9, 2004, 21:07   #131
Agathon
Mac
Emperor

Quote:

I believe I have gathered in this thread that there was Mac-only superior software for graphics.
I wouldn't say that. A lot of people prefer Final Cut Pro as their video editing app of choice, but you can get most Graphics apps on both platforms.
Old January 10, 2004, 00:28   #132
BustaMike
The Courts of Candle'Bre
King

Location: You think you're better than me? You've been handling my ass pennies!!!
Quote:
This what you were looking for BM?

You can see the tool buttons have contextual menus by looking at the graphic on the bottom right of the buttons that have one.

Presumably they are accessed by a right click or a double click (as in Graphic Converter).
That's the same menu, but the right click menu does not exist. Instead you have to control + click or alt + click (don't remember which) on the tool and it will scroll to the next tool. Nothing pops up and there's no way to view more than one tool at a time. The little arrow on the bottom right of each box only means that there's more than one tool for that particular box. You can see how that would be annoying.
Old January 10, 2004, 00:29   #133
Agathon
Mac
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by BustaMike

That's the same menu, but the right click menu does not exist. Instead you have to control + click or alt + click (don't remember which) on the tool and it will scroll to the next tool. Nothing pops up and there's no way to view more than one tool at a time. You can see how that would be annoying.
Which version are you talking about?
Old January 10, 2004, 01:19   #134
Drake Tungsten
Deity

Local Time: 11:39
Quote:
For example, I don't believe this menu exists on a Mac:
Accessed by a right-click...
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	contextual menu.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	44.2 KB
ID:	61369  
Old January 10, 2004, 02:06   #135
The Mad Monk
Emperor

Local Time: 10:39
Quote:
Originally posted by Gatekeeper
Not all Apple users are dumbasses, Asher, and you'd do damn well to keep that in mind, bucko.

Gatekeeper
You know...whenever someone uses the word, "bucko"...I immediately get an image of Ron Howard...
"We have tried spending money. We are spending more than we have ever spent before and it does not work...After eight years of this Administration, we have just as much unemployment as when we started... And an enormous debt to boot!" — Henry Morgenthau, Franklin Delano Roosevelt's Treasury secretary, 1941.
Old January 10, 2004, 03:44   #136
Agathon
Mac
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Drake Tungsten
Quote:
Quod erat demonstrandum.

WINDERS IS TEH SUX!!
Old January 10, 2004, 07:30   #137
BustaMike
The Courts of Candle'Bre
King

Quote:
Quote:
Well good, that's something. Now if only the damn Macs at school had 2 buttons grumble grumble...
Old January 10, 2004, 19:09   #138
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

Since Steve Jobs has yet to get his mind around the concept of using two buttons, they don't come by default.

Myself -- I can't live without my five-button mouse with scrollwheel and tilt-wheel.

Perhaps once Apple realizes there are academics that actually study HCI, and use what they say, their OS will be more usable.
Old January 12, 2004, 20:42   #139
Q Classic
Emperor

Quote:
This is bollox. Apple doesn't sell really cheap computers - that's about it. Apple products also don't tend to be discounted. Moreover you really need to focus on TOC rather than initial cost. For one thing you don't have to buy anti-virus software on a Mac.
of course not. you don't have to buy anti-virus software on a PC running linux. does that make it a good idea? yea, about as good as having a single-parent household or driving down the freeway with your left foot.

Quote:
Probably because they nicked the interface and because they're an evil monopoly.
too bad Xerox PARC never got any kickbacks, eh?

in any case:

macs, windows pcs, and other operating systems all have their benefits. to be so partisan is kinda a waste of energy.

why can't more people be of the mindset:
TEH M0R B0x3N TEH B3++3R!!!!!!!!!!1111111111
Old January 12, 2004, 20:53   #140
OzzyKP
staff
ApolyCon 06 ParticipantsDiploGamesPolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4DG The Mercenary TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame
ACS Staff Member

Can't we just make a seperate forum for Apple vs. Windows BS?

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah
Old January 12, 2004, 22:09   #141
Drake Tungsten
Deity

Quote:
Banning Asher again would be an easier solution...
Old January 12, 2004, 22:25   #142
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

Banning the only person who's making sense is something that would only happen on MacAddict.com.
Old January 12, 2004, 22:32   #143
Drake Tungsten
Deity

Old January 12, 2004, 23:04   #144
Q Classic
Emperor

incidentally, i really like the linux 2.6.1 kernel with gentoo. rock solid, boots faster than winxp. then again, i'm only running the necessary basics.

you know what screensaver Windows really needs? KDE's Euphoria (GL). i don't use KDE most of the time, because I like my fluxbox the way it is, but KDE does have its uses--for instance, its configurator.

Keramik looks dumb, though, which is why i have it on Redmond with Glow. Then, i put a menubar at the top, like Mac OS, , open the configurator, and tweak. then i exit, change the xinitrc and go back into fluxbox, because fluxbox is so lightweight.

xpde is interesting, i might be persuaded to look into it. purely for kicks, though. i might also be persuaded to install freebsd onto the other computer i have in my dorm room now, or even darwin, but that's for a later time when i have more of it.

meanwhile, i have three optical drives and two hard drives, but only two ide channels, so i have a spare cdrw which isn't being used, but it's powered, so you can open it and close it. it's more a cupholder than anything.

maybe i should bring up the gigabit pci card that i have, but my switch is only capable of 10/100. well, you get what you pay for, and i only paid about us$29 for it.

this is all to say that mac os sucks, as does win, as does bsd, as does hurd, as does mach, as does solaris, as does *nix, as does linux, as does menuet, as does skyos, as does fukitol.
Old January 12, 2004, 23:07   #145
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

I tried to put Linux on my computer, but:

Linux does not support my video card in x86-64.
Linux does not support my sound card in x86-64.
Linux does not support my SATA and RAID controller in x86-64.

Makes it somewhat useless...
Old January 12, 2004, 23:09   #146
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

God Bless Apple
http://badbusinessbureau.com/view.asp?id=14022
Quote:
I recently purchased two iMac computers from MicroWarehouse. I purchased two, one for myself and one for my son. It was apparant from the beginning that my computer would not stay connected to the internet. I tried to connect my son's computer and it would not stay connected either.

I contacted MicroWarehouse who informed me that since the computer was out of the box that they could not do anything about it, it was now Apples problem.

I contacted Apple computer. I spoke to several engineers who put my computer through a series of tests which it passed. They said that it needed to be taken in to be repaired. I informed them at this time that I did not want to keep the computer. I felt that a brand new computer should not need to be fixed. I asked for a refund, they refused this. I
have made several attempts to get this matter resolved. They say it's my phone line connection, though I have a Gateway that is hooked up and continues to work. The phone company has been out 3 times and their report is that the line is fine.

I have found a website that lists others with this same problem. The computers disconnect after 2 to 4 minutes. This tells me it is an Apple problem. I've explained this to Apple and they refuse to take any steps to fix the problem. They totally refuse to refund my money, $1300. I have a brand new computer that I can not use. They tell me that they have a policy that they must follow and refunds are not an option. They say they will fix the problem, but then they tell me I do not have one.

I would NEVER buy an Apple computer again. I use one at work and love it. I thought I would enjoy one at home also, I have not enjoyed it for a minute and Apple will do nothing about it!!!
http://badbusinessbureau.com/view.asp?id=58462
Quote:
My father had recently purchased an Apple powerbook G4 17" and after one day of use the lid started to warp and became too hot to sit on his lap, and the lid will not stay completely shut it wiggles like a see saw.

When we returned to the apple store we were informed that the powerbook was a portable computer NOT a Lap top that was their exact words and that the excesive heat was normal and we should place it on a piece of wood!? I have never heard of a laptop needing a piece of wood to be lugged around with it, Ohh yea this isn't a laptop its a "portable" so it is allowed.

Upon showing the "genius bar" our warping screen their solution was very creative to say the least, the service tech had taken it into the back and bent it back into shape! We were told that we may have to do this again? Now we are talking about a $3200 item that you have to bend back into shape on a regular basis? I inquired that if such action would void our warranty and was informed that it wouldn't but still it will come down to a matter of their genius' word against ours and you know how that will go.

I insisted that this being a day old product was not exceptable and we wanted a full store credit refund (not cash) to purchase the 15" or 12" and be rid of the 17" which is something they wouldn't do until we were assesed a $320 restocking fee! Please note that this item was BRAND NEW not refurbished purchased at an "Apple store" not Mac mall or mac wharehouse.

Now let's recap Brand New $3200 Defective product, forced restocking free, for something that wasn't our fault to begin with, and smarmy attitude to boot that's what I call customer service.

PS. the see saw wobble of the lid still wasn't fixed and we were told that this is normal too?

S
Libertyville, Illinois
U.S.A.
Old January 12, 2004, 23:14   #147
Q Classic
Emperor

well, jesus, he bought an imac. he gets what he deserves.
Old January 13, 2004, 01:40   #148
Agathon
Mac
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Q Cubed
Quote:
This is bollox. Apple doesn't sell really cheap computers - that's about it. Apple products also don't tend to be discounted. Moreover you really need to focus on TOC rather than initial cost. For one thing you don't have to buy anti-virus software on a Mac.
of course not. you don't have to buy anti-virus software on a PC running linux. does that make it a good idea? yea, about as good as having a single-parent household or driving down the freeway with your left foot.
You don't have to buy anti-virus software for Mac OS X because there aren't any OS X viruses. Nor is there any OS X spyware.

Some people claim to have found a couple, but nothing definite so far. And it's been out for years now.

Quote:
Quote:
Probably because they nicked the interface and because they're an evil monopoly.
too bad Xerox PARC never got any kickbacks, eh?
If only people stopped falling for that particular piece of bullshit.

http://www.apple%2Dhistory.com/horn1.html

in any case:

Quote:
macs, windows pcs, and other operating systems all have their benefits. to be so partisan is kinda a waste of energy.
It isn't to be partisan against a monopoly. Anyway, I hate M$ beccause Windows 95 once destroyed all my documents.

No Macintosh of mine has ever destroyed my documents, crapped out on me, forced me to spend a lot of money on it or contracted a virus.
Old January 13, 2004, 01:41   #149
Agathon
Mac
Emperor

Quote:
Quote:
Banning Asher again would be an easier solution...
Yeah, he's clearly deranged. It's so much better having him on ignore.
Old January 13, 2004, 01:49   #150
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

Quote:
You don't have to buy anti-virus software for Mac OS X because there aren't any OS X viruses. Nor is there any OS X spyware.

Some people claim to have found a couple, but nothing definite so far. And it's been out for years now.
No OS is free of viruses, in fact the fact majority of viruses work by social engineering rather than by flaws. The reason MacOS doesn't have "any" viruses is because it's got 2% marketshare. What kind of hacker would write a virus for a platform with 2% marketshare when he can write one for a platform with 95% marketshare? :: Duh.

Spyware, too, is not platform dependent. And actually, IIRC, Netscape 6 and 7 were released on Mac and they contained spyware. The spyware comment was just idiotic...

Quote:
If only people stopped falling for that particular piece of bullshit.

http://www.apple%2Dhistory.com/horn1.html

in any case:
Your browser has ****ed up (Go Safari...)...%2D should've been parsed to a -.

yay Apple.

"In any case", that writeup is fundamentally flawed as it is based on a strawman. Nobody claims MacOS was a ripoff of Xerox PARC's work, just that they lifted principals -- which is absolutely true. Claims like "Xerox PARC's did not have a Finder" strike me down with laughter, if only because my mind is filled of thoughts of moronic Apple users like yourself reading that and somehow thinking it proves something.

Quote:
It isn't to be partisan against a monopoly. Anyway, I hate M$ beccause Windows 95 once destroyed all my documents.

No Macintosh of mine has ever destroyed my documents, crapped out on me, forced me to spend a lot of money on it or contracted a virus.
Tell that to the people who upgraded to Panther with a Firewire 800 harddrive attached, or people with multiple partitions who installed one of the first iTunes updates...