Old January 5, 2004, 22:17   #31
Drogue
staff
Alpha Centauri PBEMNationStatesACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 SpartansACDG3 MorganACDG3 Data AngelsPolyCast TeamC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNsACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Apolyton Knight (Off-Topic Co-Moderator)

Local Time: 15:39
Local Date: November 2, 2010
I reckon it is. Smaller than Japan's, but Japan's in a large decline, has very little growth. The UK economu weathered the world downturn better than any other. We have lower borrowing than Germany, higher interest rates, rates of growth and inflation. Germany's recovering, and has to contend with Euro interest rates, which are probably too high for what it needs. Japan's government is so crippled by debt it can hardly act effectively.

I'd say the UK is a stronger economy.

"Hm. I suppose I should get my waffle a santa hat." - Kuciwalker
Old January 5, 2004, 22:17   #32
C0ckney
King

Local Time: 16:39
no, but we're still far more important on the world stage than they are, and while we're on subject of importance on the world stage why are people putting china so high

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton
Old January 5, 2004, 22:21   #33
cinch
Warlord

Local Time: 08:39
Quote:
Originally posted by C0ckney
no, but we're still far more important on the world stage than they are, and while we're on subject of importance on the world stage why are people putting china so high
(A) They would give the 'Mericans the best fight out of all the other countries.

(B) They have tremendous productive/economic power due to their large population and cheap labour.
Old January 5, 2004, 22:21   #34
Drogue
staff
Alpha Centauri PBEMNationStatesACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 SpartansACDG3 MorganACDG3 Data AngelsPolyCast TeamC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNsACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Apolyton Knight (Off-Topic Co-Moderator)

China has such a large population, military power and economic incentive for any country to invest in it that it has much influence. The US companies want to break into China, it has some of the worlds largest banks and much money is put through it's markets, via Hong Kong. It's massively powerful in terms of size, military power, economic strength, and the incentive for future trade through strong predictions. It's gaining power diplomatically, and is a huge world player. It has a veto on the UN council too, to show it's diplomatic power.

"Hm. I suppose I should get my waffle a santa hat." - Kuciwalker
Old January 5, 2004, 22:22   #35
cinch
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Drogue
China has such a large population, military power and economic incentive for any country to invest in it that it has much influence. The US companies want to break into China, it has some of the worlds largest banks and much money is put through it's markets, via Hong Kong. It's massively powerful in terms of size, military power, economic strength, and the incentive for future trade through strong predictions. It's gaining power diplomatically, and is a huge world player. It has a veto on the UN council too, to show it's diplomatic power.
Yeah, what he said...
Old January 5, 2004, 22:33   #36
Sandman
King

Quote:
I reckon it is. Smaller than Japan's, but Japan's in a large decline, has very little growth. The UK economu weathered the world downturn better than any other. We have lower borrowing than Germany, higher interest rates, rates of growth and inflation. Germany's recovering, and has to contend with Euro interest rates, which are probably too high for what it needs. Japan's government is so crippled by debt it can hardly act effectively.

Well, I suppose we define economic strength differently. A sick weight-lifter is still stronger than a healthy vicar. But I see your point.
Old January 5, 2004, 22:35   #37
C0ckney
King

china has got a large population, but isn't really a military power on the same level as britain, france or even russia. they simply can't project force effectivly, as for giving the US a fight, that would hardly qualify as a contest. it is still a diplomatic minow, and despite its seat on the security council its opinion is considered unimportant in most parts of the world.

it has potenial, a lot of it, but it isn't there yet and won't be able to catch up with nations like the UK or france for a long time, if ever.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton
Old January 5, 2004, 22:36   #38
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

8/10. That's sure to hook SOMEONE
Old January 5, 2004, 22:42   #39
Patroklos
Emperor

Ther German economy, as well as all economic systems, are prone to temporary recessions. There is a big differeance between a recession and depression, something alot of amatuer comentators here in the states should learn. The last thing you want is uncontroled growth without any plateus (sp) or slight dips, which leads to an equally uncontrolled shivel. Even in their depressed state every major western economy is still at a greater economic output that 5 years ago.
Old January 5, 2004, 22:56   #40
mrmitchell
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayCall to Power Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamNationStatesPtWDG2 Tabemono
King

Local Time: 09:39
1. USA! USA! USA! [picture of that britney ho with the flag shirt]
2. UK
Just because.
3. China
More manpower than any other muthafukka on the PLANET
4. Germany
Strong nation. (IOW, I don't know any specifics but have a gut feeling that they're around tops)
5. India
Almost as much manpower as tha numba one muthafukka
6. France
France has enough power, mostly economic and influentially, to merit a spot.
7. Russia
Russia has $1B. No it doesn't. It has 6B acres of land. No wait that's 9! Or am I right? *has more vodka*
8. Japan
Theyd go higher but are too busy with their neat consumer electronics. Consider that, the last time they tried to fuk with us muthafukkas, it took the Bomb to break their spirit. (Things have changed now), but hot damn, that's some determination!
9. Isreal
International influence
10. Saudi Arabia
Enough oil to drown every SUV on the planet.
Old January 5, 2004, 23:00   #41
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace

1. Mozambique
Old January 5, 2004, 23:14   #42
Ted Striker
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 07:39
1. Utah

Mis Novias
Old January 5, 2004, 23:21   #43
Nubclear

Quote:
Originally posted by Ted Striker
1. Utah

Your new President!
Old January 5, 2004, 23:29   #44
Ted Striker
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 07:39
I'd hit the new President

Mis Novias
Old January 5, 2004, 23:36   #45
Nubclear

Would you hit the Vice President too?

Old January 5, 2004, 23:44   #46
Joseph
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Nice Guy
Nice list. But you forgot one dimension: Spiritual protection.

In that case I would put Israel at the top of the list.
Yes but you forgot they kill his Son, and he may be a little upset with them for a while longer. And this time around God did not restore Israel to the Israeli, the UN with a big push from the US returned them to their homeland, after what, 1500 years.
Old January 5, 2004, 23:47   #47
Joseph
King

Quote:
Originally posted by mrmitchell
3. China
More manpower than any other muthafukka on the PLANET
5. India
Almost as much manpower as tha numba one muthafukka
One Ohio class sub coud take care of that pop. problem, with no one left over.
Old January 5, 2004, 23:49   #48
PLATO
Apolyton Storywriters' GuildGalCiv Apolyton EmpireCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameThe Courts of Candle'BreC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogC4DG The HordeC4WDG éirich tuireannC3CDG Blood Oath Horde
Emperor

Local Time: 10:39
Quote:
Originally posted by Joseph
Yes but you forgot they kill his Son, and he may be a little upset with them for a while longer. And this time around God did not restore Israel to the Israeli, the UN with a big push from the US returned them to their homeland, after what, 1500 years.
Doesn't Revelations predict that God will intervene on their behalf and destroy an invading army as the end times near?
Troll on dope is like a moose on the loose - Grandpa Troll
Old January 5, 2004, 23:56   #49
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 23:39
Quote:
Originally posted by C0ckney
it is still a diplomatic minow, and despite its seat on the security council its opinion is considered unimportant in most parts of the world.
As compared to the UK? I still remember the Hong Kong handover talks

China has influence around the Pacific Rim, in Central Asia, in South Asia, and in certain parts of Africa and Latin America. Now, where does UK has diplomatic influence? It doesn't even have a big pull even in the EU.

Certainly the US has the most influence, but we are talking about everybody else here.
Old January 5, 2004, 23:56   #50
Joseph
King

Quote:
Originally posted by PLATO

Doesn't Revelations predict that God will intervene on their behalf and destroy an invading army as the end times near?
Yes.
Old January 5, 2004, 23:57   #51
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 23:39
Quote:
Originally posted by Joseph
One Ohio class sub coud take care of that pop. problem, with no one left over.
Clearly extremely exaggerated.
Old January 6, 2004, 00:04   #52
Spiffor
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG LegolandApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 17:39
China is not to be #2 until they have power projection capabilities. For now, they have a big land military, but that's about it. Besides, China's economy is still extremely weak compared to the population, and France, UK, Germany, japan, and even California still have a comfortable advance on China's whole GDP.

China is overrated for today. It's the big contender as the superpower of the future, but there is still a looooong way to go.

UK, France and Russia as #2, 3 and 4 (in any order). China should be the first of the "golbally important regional powers" that are India, Pakistan and China.
Old January 6, 2004, 00:04   #53
PLATO
Apolyton Storywriters' GuildGalCiv Apolyton EmpireCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameThe Courts of Candle'BreC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogC4DG The HordeC4WDG éirich tuireannC3CDG Blood Oath Horde
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Urban Ranger

Not Hardly. Each missle can leave a footprint 50 miles wide by 200 miles long. With corresponding radioactive damage an Ohio could make China pretty sparsley populated pretty quick.
Old January 6, 2004, 00:07   #54
Joseph
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Urban Ranger

20 tubes each sub. Each missile carries 10 warheads, 2 ktl each. Used your math. 200 hundred warhead per boat. I will stay with my exaggerated quote.
Old January 6, 2004, 00:16   #55
Nubclear

Quote:
Originally posted by Spiffor
but there is still a looooong way to go.
30-50 years isn't that long
Old January 6, 2004, 00:19   #56
PLATO
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Spiffor
China is not to be #2 until they have power projection capabilities. For now, they have a big land military, but that's about it. Besides, China's economy is still extremely weak compared to the population, and France, UK, Germany, japan, and even California still have a comfortable advance on China's whole GDP.

China is overrated for today. It's the big contender as the superpower of the future, but there is still a looooong way to go.

UK, France and Russia as #2, 3 and 4 (in any order). China should be the first of the "golbally important regional powers" that are India, Pakistan and China.
I agree. Power projection, except for countries physically touching China, is extremely poor. Logistical infrastructure to support a deployed army is almost non-existent.

Additionally, China is way behind in the technology gap. British and even French units have far more combat experience and the knowledge of battlefield manuveur that comes with it. All NATO countries train in AIRLAND doctrine...China does not. What China brings to the table is huge numbers of people and huge potential. Not yet a top five, but the potential is there.
Old January 6, 2004, 00:33   #57
MrFun
Emperor

1. United States
2. China
3. Mingopulco
4. Japan
5. Germany
6. Mars
7. Israel
8. Neverland
9. Russia
10. Texas
Old January 6, 2004, 00:43   #58
Spiffor
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG LegolandApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 17:39
Quote:
Originally posted by MrFun
8. Neverland
Old January 6, 2004, 00:47   #59
KrazyHorse
Deity

Local Time: 11:39
Quote:

Germany and Japan have much larger economies than the UK.

France (I think) is slightly larger.
Get Rich or Die Tryin'
Old January 6, 2004, 00:47   #60
Ben Kenobi
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession GamesCivilization II Multiplayer
Emperor

Throw me in with all the Canucks clamouring for Canada.

Also when you are considering the population of India and China. you have to remember the distribution. Population is not dispersed equally across China or India, but clumps in the cities. If you targetted just the cities you could take out a large proportion of the population of either China or India.

Oh, and before I forget, I like the sig Cockney.