Old January 6, 2004, 16:04   #1
Barinthus
Alpha Centauri PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy Game
King

Local Time: 07:42
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Error Message
I played SMAC few years ago and loved the game. However at that time I had a laptop from work and I didn't have my own computer at all. Until few months ago and I immdiately wanted to purchase SMAC and SMAX. Imagine my dismay when I found out that they were no longer selling and producing this game. Until one fateful day at Fry's Electronics when I spotted this laptop collection with both games enclosed.

My computer is being run by Windows XP so naturally I downloaded all patches for both games. It has been a week so far and SMAX seems to be running alright despite getting this computer error everytime I open the game. Right now I'm at work so I don't recall the exact words but it was something like a warning that the game wasn't compitable with my operating system and that a crash is possible, blah blah.

Were those patches supposed to stop that error message from occuring again or is it normal? Thanks!
Old January 6, 2004, 17:58   #2
Ogie Oglethorpe
ACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Local Time: 15:42
My guess is it's the same old processor warning. If you did the force old voxel = 1 fix then ignoring the message should be no problem.

Additionally I wouldn't be surprised that the XP patch addressed this but that the error message still pops up. Would be typical of Firaxis's buggy patches and all.

I recently upgraded from a 1.8 GhzP4 where I constantly ran into that message to a 2500+ Athlon and no longer get that message.

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter
Old January 6, 2004, 18:50   #3
Barinthus
Alpha Centauri PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy Game
King

Local Time: 07:42
Ogie, thanks. Yeah did that force fix thing so I guess it's alright.