Old January 6, 2004, 17:15   #1
Barinthus
Alpha Centauri PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy Game
King

Local Time: 07:42
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Drone Riots
I emailed Fixaris on this but I don't know if they'll bother replying.

I was wondering about drone riots and probe infliration. As of now I can see whether if my rival factions are experiencing a drone riot or not regardless if I have them inflirated or not.

What's the rationale behind this? It seems to me that it'd make more sense if I didn't have a faction inflirated I wouldn't know whether if they're experiencing a drone riot in one of their bases.

Cheers
Old January 6, 2004, 18:24   #2
Chaos Theory
Alpha Centauri PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansACDG3 SpartansACDG3 MorganACDG3 Data AngelsApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Gaians
Emperor

Local Time: 14:42
I suppose you can see the smoke rising from the burning buildings...
Old January 6, 2004, 20:52   #3
Enigma_Nova
C4DG The Mercenary Team
Emperor

Local Time: 01:42
Local Date: November 3, 2010
You can see drone riots a mile away.
Your probe teams can also infiltrate the enemy and force them to have Drone Riots.
GREAT fun. Now where's my nervestapler?
Old January 6, 2004, 21:17   #4
Jamski
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

Local Time: 15:42
Big red Drone head next to the base graphic, or infilterate them and look.

-Jam
Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.
Old January 7, 2004, 00:13   #5
Barinthus
King

Hmm ok take my current game. I'm playing Data Angels and there's Caretakers on the other side of the planet. They has not been inflirated by my probe teams yet and there's no Council meeting so far.
Yet I can see whether if they're experiencing a drone riot due to that red alien head next to their base. I was just wondering how come is that possible? I figured that factions in the game are not that open as we are on Earth so it's not like I could flip on CNN and hear news about their riot. I could be wrong and it's not really important. Just thought it'd be fun to find the design rationale behind this.
Old January 7, 2004, 05:36   #6
johndmuller
Alpha Centauri PBEMACDG Peace
King

Local Time: 10:42
DataAeolus, you're right that there is no good reason why the Drone Riots would announce themselves to the world (at least they don't show up on bases you haven't even discovered yet). I believe that there are other things like that too - like IIRC, you can also see updated population figures for all bases that you can see, even if your observations and infiltration are not current. OTOH, terraforming info is not so current, even if you have infiltration and/or sats, only if you have a current observer (the sats seem to generate an updated view only when you launch the first one). One thing that ticks me off about the base information is if you have an observer next to a base, say an aircraft, you can see the men inside, but once you fly away, you can no longer see them - it would be much more considerate if the view remained for your whole turn anyway.
Old January 7, 2004, 13:44   #7
Bella Hella
Prince

Local Time: 10:42
Quote:
Originally posted by DataAeolus
I figured that factions in the game are not that open as we are on Earth so it's not like I could flip on CNN and hear news about their riot.
hm. i get what you're saying but i think i disagree. a drone riot would be a big enough event to report on TV or in the papers. some stuff would be common knowledge - who's at war with each other, who made a pact. think about the headlines: "CEO Morgan signs pact with Peacekeepers" with an accompanying holo of Pravin and Nwabudike shaking hands with each other grinning and giving the camera the thumbs up. "Tinker Junction experiencing drone riots" along with some footage of angry people with red faces marching around with picket signs that read "Drones are People, Too" and "Worker Rights Now!" i just don't think it's the kind of thing you could keep quiet. this applies to the human factions, of course.

you're right about the aliens, though - especially early enough that you don't even have contact with them yet. unless, say, the University happened to be positioned next to them and were reporting on a drone riot in an alien base. think about reporters - even in a closed society like the hive, some eager young reporter would probably find a way to get info on stuff happening inside.

maybe i'm thinking about this too much.
Old January 8, 2004, 14:48   #8
Illuminatus
staff
Apolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization IV CreatorsACDG3 CMNsACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansC4WDG Team ApolytonAge of Nations TeamACDG3 Gaians
Provost

Local Time: 17:42
Quote:
Originally posted by Enigma_Nova
GREAT fun. Now where's my nervestapler?
Looks like someone has quoted my words from a previous thread.
Old January 8, 2004, 16:43   #9
Alinestra Covelia
ACDG The Human HiveRise of Nations Multiplayer
Queen

Local Time: 11:42
I hope you spelled Firaxis correctly when you emailed them or you're never going to get a response
Old January 8, 2004, 16:56   #10
Barinthus
King

Hm, er... did I? *pondering*

Ah!

*opens email account*
*opens sent items folder*
*locates the email*

Whew, it's firaxis.

I doubt I'll ever hear from them considering... *ahem* certain... staff changes that has occured ever since the game release.

Still, it has only been 3 days ever since I sent that email. Who knows?

I'll like to add here, I wanted to say you guys have been great and I really enjoy this forum. Cheers!