Old January 6, 2004, 18:15   #1
TheArsenal
Apolyton University
Prince

Local Time: 08:42
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Units at sea
Yes... I know, I know, this is in the wrong place. But I placed this question in the Creation forum, and to tell you the truth, I’m not sure there’s anyone ever there.

So, to repeat: I’m working on a scenario for my own entertainment and don’t have a ton of experience with the Editor.

Quick question: in the Editor when placing units on a map, is there a way to place/load units in a galley already placed at sea? I do not seem able to do this.

Thanks.
Old January 7, 2004, 04:09   #2
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 03:42
Local Date: November 3, 2010
I so far have not found a way to do this, Arsenal. There are a small number of things the editor seems not to be able to do, for example worker actions like clearing forest or jungle (if for example you wanted to simulate a game at a point where you had cleared a forest with a luxury on it). I believe placing Leaders is another.

What are you doing this for? Creating your own scenario? If so, you might have some luck with Gramphos' Civ3 Multi-tool, that can be used for editing savegames.

The only thing for you to do may be to, once you ahve finished the scenario, start the game and then perform the loading yourself. But then that may mean you could only have the human player as that civ...

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!
Old January 7, 2004, 14:27   #3
TheArsenal
Apolyton University
Prince

I am putting together a locked alliance scenario. Last night, I ran a few turns in Debug mode, and found if I place galleys and enough units in a city, the AI will load some of the galleys and head to sea. However what it chooses to do with those unit filled galleys is about the polar opposite of what I need it to. That is not to say that if I were able to place the units in boats already at sea they would do what I want, but I figured where I placed the vessels on the map would make them more likely to.

Back to the drawing board.

Last edited by TheArsenal; January 7, 2004 at 15:45.
Old January 7, 2004, 15:13   #4
steven8r
Prince

Local Time: 09:42
I'm replying here without any knowledge of this subject, but I might have an idea, so please bear with me......

Does the WWII Scenario in Conquests start w/ units on ships? If so, perhaps you could mod that mod to your specs, or at least look at how they did that. If not, then sorry for wasting your time.

Steven
Old January 9, 2004, 11:55   #5
TheArsenal
Apolyton University
Prince

Well I looked into this idea last night, but it doesn’t look like it will work. There is no mechanism in place (that I could find) to modify the units once they are in place, so I am unable to change transports to galleys, marines to archers, etc. Not to bore with details, but I am having some better luck by filling AI cities with galleys and units and radically altering the map leaving the AI civs only one real point of attack. Not perfect, but better.

Anyway, thanks for the suggestions.
Old January 9, 2004, 12:23   #6
MrMismatch
Settler

Local Time: 15:42
The aircraft carriers have bombers and fighters on board.
Old January 11, 2004, 08:55   #7
Tattila the Hun
King

Local Time: 18:42
You cannot simply place the land units on the sea, I assume?
Old January 12, 2004, 02:32   #8
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 03:42
Local Date: November 3, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Tattila the Hun
You cannot simply place the land units on the sea, I assume?
No, the editor keeps several Civ3 hardcoded rules when you are editing things - you can't add resources to tiles that are not flagged for those resources, and no land/sea units can be placed where they shouldn't be.

/me wonders if air units can be placed outside of cities/airfields/Carriers...

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!