Old January 6, 2004, 20:02   #1
Tis I
Warlord

Local Time: 10:43
Local Date: November 2, 2010
The Ipod Mini or how Apple dropped the ball....
I saw the press conference unveiling the Ipod Mini on BBC's world news. They said it holds 1,000 songs compared to 10,000 songs for the regular versions. Since i have just 2000 songs and am a poor college student who can't justify spending $300 on an MP3 player, i was reasonably estactic.

Of course i was expected that the Mini's would be priced somewhat more resonably, like maybe $100-150. I'm by no means an expect on MP3 players but at this price i believe the Ipod Minis would sell like hotcakes.

But no, they're selling for $250 dollars. For 50 dollars more you can get a 15 gig Ipod instead of the 4 gig Ipod minis.

What the hell was apple thinking...
Did he who made the lamb make thee?
Old January 6, 2004, 20:09   #2
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

Local Time: 15:43
It's not made for you though It's made for people like Agathon.
Old January 6, 2004, 20:13   #3
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

Local Time: 09:43
Hello, when was the last time Apple made any sane business decision?
Old January 6, 2004, 20:21   #4
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

It's also not that innovative, Rio announced a 4GB player that supports more formats with slightly smaller dimensions a day before. A 1.5GB version is also available for $199.

Last edited by Asher; January 6, 2004 at 20:27.
Old January 6, 2004, 20:26   #5
TCO
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 05:43
But does it come in yummy yougurt colors. Does it have the apple brand name?
Old January 6, 2004, 20:27   #6
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

Quote:
Originally posted by TCO
But does it come in yummy yougurt colors. Does it have the apple brand name?
No to the colors. It's got the Rio brand name, who's been making MP3 players long before Apple.
Old January 6, 2004, 20:30   #7
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace

Quote:
Originally posted by Asher

No to the colors. It's got the Rio brand name, who's been making MP3 players long before Apple.
What? Apple has been making MP3 players since 1950
Old January 6, 2004, 20:32   #8
yavoon
Warlord

if apple told u it would sell a 350$ mp3 u would scream bankruptcy. but instead it went ballistic.

apple has no chance of winning a price war. so why go and fight one?

also I'd like to see u business savants take apple computer and keep it profitable. sounds like a tall order if you ask me. I'm surmising that u'd all just wet urself then beat ur head against a wall.
Old January 6, 2004, 20:34   #9
TCO
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Quote:

well a sane businessman says apple brandname is worth more than a traditional MP3 maker. remember we are going after many people who are moving into this media. Not an established market.
Old January 6, 2004, 20:35   #10
Kuciwalker
Deity

Local Time: 11:43
Quote:
Originally posted by Comrade Tassadar

What? Apple has been making MP3 players since 1950
sig material
Old January 6, 2004, 20:43   #11
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

Quote:
Originally posted by yavoon
if apple told u it would sell a 350$ mp3 u would scream bankruptcy. but instead it went ballistic.

apple has no chance of winning a price war. so why go and fight one?

also I'd like to see u business savants take apple computer and keep it profitable. sounds like a tall order if you ask me. I'm surmising that u'd all just wet urself then beat ur head against a wall.
How could the company be unprofitable with the zombie-like following willing to shell out tons of money for things worth a fraction of that?
Old January 6, 2004, 20:46   #12
yavoon
Warlord

Quote:

How could the company be unprofitable with the zombie-like following willing to shell out tons of money for things worth a fraction of that?
I think u all propose them turning out relatively cheap product that does not appeal to fashion but to utilitarianism.

at which point they'd promptly be undercut and raped.

the "zombie" following had to be BUILT. it wasn't god given. and it can't be duplicated at a moments notice by other ppl(or they would gladly do it).

so I say again. u can diss apple all u want. but if u were given the reigns u would run the company into the ground and whine about it along the way.
Old January 6, 2004, 20:48   #13
Nubclear

Quote:
Originally posted by skywalker

sig material
I'm in someones sig now.
Old January 6, 2004, 20:48   #14
Ogie Oglethorpe
ACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Big deal first mover advantage. Not sustainable.

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter
Old January 6, 2004, 20:50   #15
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

Quote:
I think u all propose them turning out relatively cheap product that does not appeal to fashion but to utilitarianism.

at which point they'd promptly be undercut and raped.

the "zombie" following had to be BUILT. it wasn't god given. and it can't be duplicated at a moments notice by other ppl(or they would gladly do it).

so I say again. u can diss apple all u want. but if u were given the reigns u would run the company into the ground and whine about it along the way.
I wouldn't run the company into the ground, I'd sell it to Microsoft.

The zombie following was attained by Jobs' charisma, Jonathan Ive's unique designs, and an undeniable penchnat for style over substance. They've successfully captured the artist market, who typically don't know **** about what they're doing or how computers work, and overcharge them for millions. These are the same kind of people who buy VW Beattles with flower holders, and repaint their Ikea furniture to match a themed decor.

It could be copied by most tech companies, but most tech companies realize how tiny that market is and how THAT would run their companies into the ground.

Apple's got a niche market, and it'll forever stay that way unless they charge reasonable prices. But they don't, because morons believe their high prices equate high quality...
Old January 6, 2004, 20:52   #16
Verto
Apolyton Storywriters' GuildNationStatesMac
King

Quote:

Old January 6, 2004, 20:57   #17
yavoon
Warlord

Quote:

The zombie following was attained by Jobs' charisma, Jonathan Ive's unique designs, and an undeniable penchnat for style over substance. They've successfully captured the artist market, who typically don't know **** about what they're doing or how computers work, and overcharge them for millions. These are the same kind of people who buy VW Beattles with flower holders, and repaint their Ikea furniture to match a themed decor.

It could be copied by most tech companies, but most tech companies realize how tiny that market is and how THAT would run their companies into the ground.

Apple's got a niche market, and it'll forever stay that way unless they charge reasonable prices. But they don't, because morons believe their high prices equate high quality...
I guarentee u if it was possible to simply emulate apple, ppl would. they can't tho. if they could sell a 350$ player and make millions they would, but they can't.

as for ur rabid hatred of ikea and all things fashionable. ur obviously a pretty rabid utilitarian. I still think its comical how u think its insane that other ppl aren't. or how appealing to things that aren't utilitarian is somehow dirty or wrong.

charging reasonable prices would be a bad business decision. I don't know why you can't see that. ur too stupid to see outside of ur perspective I suppose. if they went walmart they would just be raped. they can't compete that way, they'd lose.
Old January 6, 2004, 21:05   #18
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

Quote:
I guarentee u if it was possible to simply emulate apple, ppl would. they can't tho. if they could sell a 350$ player and make millions they would, but they can't.
Why would somebody want to emulate a company with 2% marketshare, and falling? Compared to Apple's competitors, Apple is very much in the minor leagues, despite their high profile.

From a corporate and financial point of view, the company is very much less than stellar.

You wanna see how you run a company, look at Microsoft and Intel.

Apple has a different way of doing things that'll keep them around for a while, but they'll never make much money compared to how they could do it.

They squandered the chance of dominating the PC world, and now they're squandering the chance of dominating the portable media world.

They're dedicated to overpricing things so they can guarantee a profit, but it'll be a damn small one compared to what it could be with, say, 95% marketshare *cough*MS*cough*.
Old January 6, 2004, 21:27   #19
TCO
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Apple sale to MS would not be FTC approved.
Old January 6, 2004, 21:31   #20
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

Okay then.

I'd sell Apple to Sun Microsystems, who would then run it into the ground.
Old January 6, 2004, 22:51   #21
yavoon
Warlord

Quote:

Why would somebody want to emulate a company with 2% marketshare, and falling? Compared to Apple's competitors, Apple is very much in the minor leagues, despite their high profile.

From a corporate and financial point of view, the company is very much less than stellar.

You wanna see how you run a company, look at Microsoft and Intel.

Apple has a different way of doing things that'll keep them around for a while, but they'll never make much money compared to how they could do it.

They squandered the chance of dominating the PC world, and now they're squandering the chance of dominating the portable media world.

They're dedicated to overpricing things so they can guarantee a profit, but it'll be a damn small one compared to what it could be with, say, 95% marketshare *cough*MS*cough*.
I agree they squandered their chance. but if u took over apple u'd run it into the ground. no computer company has ever survived on such a small piece of the pie. most thot it not possible. and all those people that thot it not possible are the same ppl who berate apple for its pricing.

the fact remains tho. apple is in a very difficult position RIGHT NOW. to turn a profit w/ 2% of market share is a enormous mt. to climb. AND ur method would fail miserably when put to the task. so whine all u want and berate apple all you want. but no1 else can hang around w/ 2%.
Old January 9, 2004, 13:09   #22
Q Classic
Emperor

Quote:
I'd sell Apple to Sun Microsystems, who would then run it into the ground.

wouldn't it be funny of sco, after taking its shot at bsd, started going after apple for darwin/panther?

in any case, macs have an extremely rabid following. luckily, not all mac users are macheads, unwilling to admit that while luna looks like fisher-price, aqua looks like candyland.
Old January 9, 2004, 13:45   #23
Zopperoni
Age of Nations TeamApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Local Time: 17:43
Re: The Ipod Mini or how Apple dropped the ball....
Quote:
Originally posted by Tis I
But no, they're selling for $250 dollars. For 50 dollars more you can get a 15 gig Ipod instead of the 4 gig Ipod minis.
You can get a 15 GB player by Dell for US$ 224. Maybe if you PM Kaak, he can cut the price a little.