Old January 7, 2004, 00:34   #1
SativaX
Settler

Local Time: 15:44
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Second colony pod ??
It happened to me twice now , though im not sure why but when i start a new game with university ( talent diff ) i get a second colony pod after moving my first scout ?

is this normal

im still new to the game , compared to what i read here at least
Old January 7, 2004, 03:24   #2
The Mad Monk
Emperor

Local Time: 10:44
I think the higher difficulties always start you off with an extra pod.
"We have tried spending money. We are spending more than we have ever spent before and it does not work...After eight years of this Administration, we have just as much unemployment as when we started... And an enormous debt to boot!" — Henry Morgenthau, Franklin Delano Roosevelt's Treasury secretary, 1941.
Old January 7, 2004, 11:13   #3
Flubber
Alpha Centauri PBEMACDG PeaceAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Human HiveACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

Local Time: 09:44
Quote:
Originally posted by The Mad Monk
I think the higher difficulties always start you off with an extra pod.
YES-- on transcend you always start with 2 colony pods-- I don't know at what level that kicks in
Old January 7, 2004, 12:10   #4
Bella Hella
Prince

i don't get 2 pods on thinker. and i started some trancend level games last night (as the spartans) and also did not get an extra pod. to clarify, i begin with one base, a scout patrol (or rover as the spartans) and one pod. am i missing a patch?
Old January 7, 2004, 12:29   #5
Minute Mirage
Alpha Centauri PBEMACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Prince

Local Time: 17:44
Quote:
Originally posted by Bella Hella
i don't get 2 pods on thinker. and i started some trancend level games last night (as the spartans) and also did not get an extra pod. to clarify, i begin with one base, a scout patrol (or rover as the spartans) and one pod. am i missing a patch?
You have "Flexible starting locations" turned off. This means that your second pod is used to found a base immediately on landing. If you have the option turned on, you start with two colony pods and a scout patrol (no base then).
Old January 7, 2004, 12:29   #6
Verrucosus
Prince

Local Time: 16:44
I believe it depends on the game settings. Many people play with the customized rule "Choose Location" checked. In that case they start with two pods rather than a base and a pod on higher levels.
Old January 7, 2004, 13:24   #7
Bella Hella
Prince

d'oh, question answered. do you guys mostly play with flexible starting locations on? i've just never really thought to play that way. hm.
Old January 8, 2004, 02:14   #8
Flubber
Alpha Centauri PBEMACDG PeaceAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Human HiveACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

Local Time: 09:44
Quote:
Originally posted by Bella Hella
d'oh, question answered. do you guys mostly play with flexible starting locations on? i've just never really thought to play that way. hm.
I always play with it on . .. If I like where the pod siits great but if not I get a choice
Old January 8, 2004, 06:09   #9
The Mad Monk
Emperor

There's nothing more annoying than starting with your first base exactly one tile away from the water, so I always have it on -- real life is annoying enough without having some game foist small indignities upon me.
"We have tried spending money. We are spending more than we have ever spent before and it does not work...After eight years of this Administration, we have just as much unemployment as when we started... And an enormous debt to boot!" — Henry Morgenthau, Franklin Delano Roosevelt's Treasury secretary, 1941.
Old January 8, 2004, 10:20   #10
Jamski
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

I thought all starting bases were automatically coastal?

-Jam
Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.
Old January 8, 2004, 10:56   #11
The Mad Monk
Emperor

THEY ARE???

Well, damn, don't I feel silly...
Old January 8, 2004, 15:13   #12
Illuminatus
staff
Apolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization IV CreatorsACDG3 CMNsACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansC4WDG Team ApolytonAge of Nations TeamACDG3 Gaians
Provost

You start with one colony pod at lower difficulties? I thought you always start with two colony pods. Seems I`m playing transcend to much.
Old January 8, 2004, 17:22   #13
Mr. President
MacSpanish CiversNationStatesNever Ending StoriesCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG Planet University of Technology
Emperor

Local Time: 01:44
Local Date: November 3, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Jamski
I thought all starting bases were automatically coastal?

-Jam
I think I've had non-coastal starting bases.
Old January 8, 2004, 21:30   #14
Petek
lifer
Prince

Local Time: 08:44
Quote:
Originally posted by Crimson Sunrise

I think I've had non-coastal starting bases.
Agreed. Coastal starting bases are the norm, but every so often you start inland.
Old January 8, 2004, 22:22   #15
Alex
Emperor

Local Time: 12:44
i like to play with "flex starting location" off (the default). i like the added challenge i get with a not-so-good starting position. plus, it makes some sense to me: when the faction lands on that weird and dangerous landscape, their first priority have to be security and so they decide to establish a settlement as soon as they can. exploring is too risky for them.
Old January 9, 2004, 02:24   #16
Barinthus
Alpha Centauri PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy Game
King

Local Time: 07:44
Yeah I prefer to just accept whatever the dice rolls. But hey, everybody to their own.
Old January 10, 2004, 14:55   #17
Illuminatus
staff
Apolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization IV CreatorsACDG3 CMNsACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansC4WDG Team ApolytonAge of Nations TeamACDG3 Gaians
Provost

Quote:
Originally posted by Alex
i like to play with "flex starting location" off (the default). i like the added challenge i get with a not-so-good starting position. plus, it makes some sense to me: when the faction lands on that weird and dangerous landscape, their first priority have to be security and so they decide to establish a settlement as soon as they can. exploring is too risky for them.
Quote:
Originally posted by DataAeolus
Yeah I prefer to just accept whatever the dice rolls.
I totally agree. Makes no sense that group of space colonists can land on planet and then start a conversation like: "Hey I don`t want live there - I see fungal tower there. " or "If we spend two years moving as nomads with scarce supplies through completely alien and probably hostile world, we will able to found a base near monolith."
Old January 10, 2004, 20:39   #18
:) Smiley
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

Local Time: 08:44
At least in AC if your base isn't next to the sea, you can bring the sea to it! In Civ, you're just screwed.
Old January 11, 2004, 16:28   #19
Enigma_Nova
C4DG The Mercenary Team
Emperor

Local Time: 01:44
Local Date: November 3, 2010
I started one of my famed small map games (conquer victory in 2102 W00T I ROCK)
I started Inland as Zak. Deirdre also started inland, 2 squares away from my base.
"Hello Zak."
"Sup Deedee."
"I was wondering if you'd like a treaty of friendship?"
"No, just let me move into that base you left undefended."
"Okay. Thanks Zak."
Old January 11, 2004, 16:42   #20
spartak
King

Nice one...
Old January 12, 2004, 11:04   #21
The Mad Monk
Emperor

Cool...

Spartak! When did you return from your "Christmas vacation"?
Old January 12, 2004, 20:37   #22
The Mad Monk
Emperor

Just landed one three away from the nearest shore.
Old January 13, 2004, 02:53   #23
Mr. Harley
Prince

Local Time: 11:44
I choose flexible starting locations and the map outline on simply because they came in from orbit. You have to push really hard to justify them not at least having a vague idea where they were landing.
Mr. Harley: I'm afraid my people haven't. I'm very sorry… I wish it were otherwise.
Old January 13, 2004, 03:11   #24
The Mad Monk
Emperor

I leave the map outline off, because when I first tried it (oh so long ago), it was hard to tell at a glance where I had and had not been.

Now, I set preferences to show the grid in the ocean, which also shows the grid in unexplored territory, zoom all the way out, and pick out all the nifty looking contours.
Old January 13, 2004, 11:20   #25
Bella Hella
Prince

wanted to mention that i started one tile away from the water in a one-city challenge game the other day. d'oh!
Old January 13, 2004, 17:06   #26
Barinthus
Alpha Centauri PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy Game
King

Local Time: 07:44
I know this is off the thread, hope it's ok

One-city challenge, how does that work? Is it multi-player thing or solo? I'd imagine it means that the player is to build only one city. But what about conquests - can he keep those or does he have to raze those bases?
Old January 13, 2004, 17:11   #27
Illuminatus
staff
Provost

You have to obliterate the conquered bases.
Old January 15, 2004, 17:17   #28
sammy1339
Chieftain

If I'm correct, according to Prima's extremely crappy but usually-correct-on-technical-points-not-having-to-do-with-strategy Official Strategy Guide, whether or not you start with an extra colony pod has to do with how good the game judges your starting location to be. The way the game picks your starting location is by selecting a random square and calculating a number based on how many resources and enemies are near. The more squares it rejects the less picky it gets (i.e. the lower the number can be in order for it to give you the starting location.) If the calculated number is sufficiently low it will give you a free colony pod. The higher the difficulty level you play on the lower the number requirement is, and the faster it goes down. The requirement for getting a colony pod does not, however. Therefore you will almost never get a colony pod at citizen level, where your starting location will usually be good (high number of resource bonuses and distant from rival factions), you will get a colony pod about half the time on librarian level, where your starting location will be so-so, and you will almost always get a colony pod on transcend level where your starting location will usually be crappy. I believe that is how it works, anyway.