Micha 2 5.26%
Octavian X 2 5.26%
Vander 1 2.63%
Vev 2 5.26%
Voltaire 4 10.53%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Old January 7, 2004, 02:41   #1
Snowflake
ACDG3 SpartansACDG The Human HiveACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 GaiansACDG3 MorganACDG3 CMNs
Princess

Local Time: 09:44
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Turn Player
The turn is here. I'm taking that Comrade Kody will play this turn. However I think we should have at least three turn players ready for any and all turns. One being the main player, one can check the turns, and one being the back up.

So I'm setting up this poll. I will try to include everybody in the list (with no particular order). Please let me know if I have missed somebody. If somebody doesn't want to play please state so so that people will not put vote on you.

Please also let me know if you feel the poll is not appropriate. Thanks!

Oh and this time I'm making it a multiple choice poll, each person please make three choices.

Grapefruit Garden
Old January 7, 2004, 03:00   #2
Octavian X
Civilization III Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Human HivePtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty PythonC4WDG Huygen's UnionC3CDG The Lost BoysC4DG The Mercenary TeamCiv4 SP Democracy GameACDG3 GaiansC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
King

For the love of GooglieGod, don't vote for me as turn player. I don't have SMACX, don't have the funds available to purchase it, don't have the time nor connection speed to download it, nor do I have the knowledge to run a turn to the caliber that would be expected.
Old January 7, 2004, 04:41   #3
Jamski
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

Local Time: 15:44
Nice poll HongHu.

I would rather not say who my three votes were for.

-Jam
Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.
Old January 7, 2004, 12:28   #4
Enigma_Nova
C4DG The Mercenary Team
Emperor

Local Time: 01:44
Local Date: November 3, 2010
Currently in the lead is *dacole*
Followed by HongHu, Enigma_Nova, and Micha

What do we do in case of a tie?
(BTW you could have voted for more than 3 players.)
Old January 7, 2004, 12:33   #5
Snowflake
ACDG3 SpartansACDG The Human HiveACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 GaiansACDG3 MorganACDG3 CMNs
Princess

I know. This is the problem with this poll. I didn't know how to limit it to three choice only. If the result is not right I guess that would mean another poll coming.

A tie would mean one more back up player. That sounds ok to me as long as we don't have everybody on the listed tied to each other.

Grapefruit Garden
Old January 7, 2004, 20:15   #6
Jamski
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

Who voted for me and not Kody?

-Jam
Old January 7, 2004, 20:27   #7
Kody
ACDG The Human HiveACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 GaiansACDG3 MorganACDG3 SpartansACDG3 CMNs
Emperor

*shrug*

I can't even vote until ming authorises me.
Old January 8, 2004, 07:37   #8
Jamski
Deity

But you can hack your way into the forum? Cool

-Jam
Old January 8, 2004, 07:43   #9
Kody
ACDG The Human HiveACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 GaiansACDG3 MorganACDG3 SpartansACDG3 CMNs
Emperor

I sent a PM to googlie about it. I'm kindof tempted to look in the other forums.

Jamski please keep spaming so I don't get bored and actually look!
Old January 8, 2004, 07:52   #10
Jamski
Deity

Fine. What shall I spam about?

Do you want to hear about your character in the Dungeon of Apolyton?

-Jam
Old January 8, 2004, 08:12   #11
Kody
Emperor

I have a character in the Dungeon of Apolyton?
Old January 8, 2004, 08:33   #12
Jamski
Deity

You do.

You are Kody, the bravest Settler.

Spoiler:
Found on Level 001 (Old Mine Workings) locked in combat with the hordes of goblins, Kody is one of only three settlers to have stayed behind in the upper levels. If you speak to Kody, he reveals that he is working to a plan, to kill at least 50 goblins for reasons of his own. He also checks if the PC is tough enough to face the next level, and if not, LENDS them his special mace. PCs are expected to bring it back, and Kody will reward them for thier honesty. If Vev is your campainion on this level, then he will leave you after a while and go back to be with Kody. Kody promises to look after him. The two are never seen again as you venture deeper into the Dungeon of Apolyton...

-Jam
Old January 8, 2004, 08:35   #13
Kody
Emperor

Is this a mud?
Old January 8, 2004, 08:50   #14
Kody
Emperor

Okay I'm reading your thread on it now, so I know it's neverwinters nights. Also reading someone's PBEM turn tracking thread at the same time.

Hopefully I'll get sleepy and tomorrow googlie will have a reply for me.
Old January 8, 2004, 10:09   #15
Jamski
Deity

Quote:
Is this a mud?
Don't drag my name in it

-Jam
Old January 8, 2004, 10:44   #16
Snowflake
Princess

Five people voted for 22 votes. Wow.

Grapefruit Garden
Old January 8, 2004, 13:07   #17
Jamski
Deity

And only one of them voted for me

-Jam
Old January 8, 2004, 13:23   #18
Snowflake
Princess

I know that I voted for three people. So that means the other four voted 19. Hmmm

Or perhaps all four people but one voted three, and one person voted 10. (You'd expect he would also vote for Francky though. )

Grapefruit Garden

Last edited by Snowflake; January 8, 2004 at 13:30.
Old January 8, 2004, 21:44   #19
Mead
ACDG The Human HiveACDG3 MorganAlpha Centauri Democracy Game
King

Local Time: 10:44
Quote:
Originally posted by HongHu
I know that I voted for three people. So that means the other four voted 19. Hmmm

Or perhaps all four people but one voted three, and one person voted 10. (You'd expect he would also vote for Francky though. )
Because I am not authorizied for voting yet (I guess I have to PM Ming), I have not voted.

However, I cast my votes for in the following order Kody, Hong Hu, and Dacole (because I am new to this forum I am not familiar with Dacole, but he appears to have a good reputation). Please add my votes to the eventual count.

Mead
Old January 9, 2004, 12:58   #20
Snowflake
Princess

Why can't you vote Mead? Anyone who is authorized in the team should be able to vote. Please PM Ming if this is a problem for you. In the meanwhile we will remember to add your votes to the tally.

Grapefruit Garden
Old January 9, 2004, 13:01   #21
Snowflake
Princess

Kody will you still be able to be involved in turn playing?

Grapefruit Garden
Old January 9, 2004, 13:46   #22
Micha
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 SpartansACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG3 MorganACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG PeaceACDG Planet University of TechnologyCivilization III Democracy GameC3CDG Team BabylonC4DG Team Banana
King

Local Time: 16:44
Well, I voted four times, because, as always, I didn´t read the first post before...

Darn, I just cannot stand those lovely polls
Old January 9, 2004, 14:34   #23
Snowflake
Princess

I guess Kody will not be able to play for us now. We will have to stand by ourselves from now on.

Grapefruit Garden
Old January 9, 2004, 21:20   #24
Mead
ACDG The Human HiveACDG3 MorganAlpha Centauri Democracy Game
King

Local Time: 10:44
Questions on Turn Playing
Having never turn played before I am unsure how it works.

First, how I think it works:

I think you download the turn, unzip it, open it in SMAX, and review to what the situation looks like.

Other players in the faction also download the turn unzip it, open it in SMAX, and review what the situation looks like.
Then, you receive thier suggestions on what to do, and in important situations take a vote of the faction before taking action.

Then, you decide what you want to do, scripting it out to make sure you do not forget anything.

Then, very carefully, following the script (as much as possible - battles/pod pops have varible outcomes) enter the commands and, play the turn. You do not want to do a reload because that may lead to an allegation of cheating.

Then, you save the competed turn and upload it to the turn tracking thread on the main ACDG forum. (I have never done this and do not know the mechanics).

My Questions:

What above is inaccurate?

I have not seen too much conversation on how the turn is to be played, before the turn player plays it. I understand we must comply with the 48 hour deadline, but next turn could we review the turn and offer our observations and (if any) suggestions to the turnplayer, before they play the turn.

This may help some of us less adept players learn better.

As the turn player, how do you open up the turn and review it, and consult with fellow teammates? It seems that you must have the turn open the whole time, without turning the computer off (or exiting SMAX). If you opened it, looked at the situation, then closed SMAX and consulted with teammates over the next ~48 hours, and then opened the turn again and played the turn, that it would result in a prohibited reload.

Mead
Old January 10, 2004, 00:38   #25
Snowflake
Princess

The key to your question is that you can open the turn and save it. When you open the save from last time and continue to play, it is not a reload. In other words, as long as you don't redo any part of the game, just continue with occasional breaks, that is acceptible.

Therefore the way how it works would be like this:
When the turn is in, everybody who is interested can open the turn and look at it, without playing (for it is considering exploring).

The turn player opens up the turn, plays the turn based on recommendations and orders that are discussed following the last turn and the new turn, and make decisions on little details that have not been discussed. If there are major incidents that just happened such like a mindworm attack and he is not sure how to deal with it, he saves the game and consult with others. Then he reopen the save and continue the play. When the turn is completed, the turn player save a copy before he press the end turn.

The turn player then post the save as well as a summary in the Hive forum and everybody can look and comment on it. Some things such as base productions and worker allocations can still be changed. After this, the turn is end and the save is emailed to the university player.

Another thing to note is that we should try look at the save before end turn and start to plan for the next turn. If we need to discuss things especially if polls are needed, we can't do it after the new turn is here. The 48 hours should mainly be used for playing the turn, not discussing what to do. Discussions and plans should be prepared before the turn.

Grapefruit Garden
Old January 10, 2004, 00:55   #26
Enigma_Nova
C4DG The Mercenary Team
Emperor

I guess I should get Kody's 2152 End Turn.

Now, for the serious business of planning what we're going to do.
It looks like Honghu, Dacole and I are going to be your turn players.
Don't worry guys. For what I lack in experience I more than make up for in brilliance.
To be honest I have never used those crawlery thingys before... but the new tactics by now seem farmiliar.

Wait until I have completed my training.
I view my life, and everything in it, as a battle. A tactical battle, one that must be played with wit, cunning, and a swathe of strategy.
As such, by the very act of me posting, and perhaps the very act of me thinking, my mind is honed to many possibilities.
Combine this with my quick-learning and my ability to understand things almost spontaneously, and we have a one-man think tank.

Kody is no longer nescesary.
While I can't say that I have his curiosity, I have more than his determination. An iron will with a mind sharp as any sword.
We shall see just how great we will become.
The Hive will rise up and lay down all of its foes.

Who is with me?
Old January 13, 2004, 16:26   #27
Enigma_Nova
C4DG The Mercenary Team
Emperor

bump
That many of you, eh?

DACOLE! HONGHU! Move your forces. The turn will be here soon - and I intend to tackle this as a team effort.
Old January 13, 2004, 16:38   #28
Snowflake
Princess

Enigma, dacole, I propose that the two of you take turns to play the turn so that both of you can keep being intimately involved in the game and knowing every details of the game. Before pressing the end turn the player of the turn should post the save here so that the other turn player double checks it and post it in the main forum. I will be your backup player. I will also try to look at the save of each turn. Does this sound reasonable?

Grapefruit Garden
Old January 13, 2004, 17:38   #29
Frankychan
ACDG The Human HiveAlpha Centauri Democracy GameNationStatesAlpha Centauri PBEMApolyton Storywriters' Guild
King

Local Time: 05:44
voted. Rofl, well...at least all the Hivers here know of my time constraints. That's pretty cool.
"...but what sane person would move from Hawaii to Indiana?" -Dis
Old January 13, 2004, 17:44   #30
Snowflake
Princess

I would imagine not only one individual had voted for themselves but you didn't Comrade Frankychan.

Please be assured that we will not allow your experiences being wasted.

Grapefruit Garden