Old January 7, 2004, 06:58   #1
roobin
Settler

Local Time: 15:44
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Help Please - Playing Blind in PTW

I have been desperate to play agains't a friend over my LAN at home (Well, 2 Pc's linked together !)...

We tried PTW when it originally came out, and had to give up in frustration due to the following problem :-

When an Enemy/Friend either moves or attacks - the sceen does not centre on the event.....

Preferences are set to display and animate enemy moves - But nothing happens.

This means that the micromanagement required, is taking all the fun out of the game (If your not careful, you can have an attacking army walk right up to one of your cities unnoticed, then take over that city without you even being aware that they were anywhere near it !!)

I have tried another game last night, after applying the latest PTW patch (And after installing Conquests which I believe should patch the base Civ3 game) - And guess what !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The same bloody thing happened again (sob !).

Has anybody else come across this problem ???

Any help would be seriously appreciated, as I don't want to resign myself to only being able to revisit the single player game.
Old January 7, 2004, 16:09   #2
BigFree
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III MultiplayerPtWDG RoleplayCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCivilization III Democracy GameCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG CalysiumBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG SarantiumPtWDG2 SunshineC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 08:44
The game is not supposed to center on your opponents movements; enemy or otherwise. What it will do (if the settings are correct) is notify you if your units are under attack on they are not on the screen at the time of the attack. I'm assuming you are play Simultaneous mode. If you try "turn based" you will be able to "see" your opponets moves more clearly because (1) you are not focused on your units at the time and (2) you should be able to hear the sound effects of their moves during this time.
Old January 8, 2004, 06:07   #3
roobin
Settler

Local Time: 15:44
Hmmmm - We were playing in Turn Based mode.

Why does the screen centre on Friend/Enemy moves in a Single Player game ???

I wouldn't be so bothered about not being focused on a battle at the time it happened, because there would be naff all I could do about it after the event.

But enemy movements around your territory SHOULD focus every turn.....

Hopefully someone will reply to say that it should centre on an enemy move (Oh please !!)
Old January 10, 2004, 22:48   #4
BigFree
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III MultiplayerPtWDG RoleplayCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCivilization III Democracy GameCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG CalysiumBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG SarantiumPtWDG2 SunshineC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 08:44
In the MP game, you can adjust your WF and change builds in your cities while the other people are playing their turns. The game can't switch views to what's going on(enemy/friendly movements) and also allow you access to your cities to make such adjustments. It's just the way it is. Sorry.
Old January 27, 2004, 10:03   #5
The Hack
Chieftain

Local Time: 07:44
I have never played MP and thinking of trying it out can you tell me the best way to deal with this?
Old May 15, 2004, 23:47   #6
Rasputin
lifer
DiploGamesThe Courts of Candle'Bre
Deity

Local Time: 01:44
Local Date: November 3, 2010
another backward step from civ 2 , civ2 allowed you to ahve multiple windows open i used one to watch enemy moves...