#endgame
ACDG3 MorganAlpha Centauri PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy Game
Prince

Local Time: 01:48
Local Date: November 3, 2010
Yang is a fraud
We all know this quote by heart:

Quote:
What do I care about your suffering? Pain, even agony, is no more than information before the senses, data fed to the computer of the mind. The lesson is simple: you have received the information, now act on it. Take control of the input and you shall become master of the output.
--Chairman Sheng-Ji Yang
"Essays on Mind and Matter"

But notice that when you eradicate the Hive and Yang goes into his punishment sphere, he screams. It seems that he cannot "take control of the input". If he can't, who can expect his followers to? Or something.
Old January 8, 2004, 10:11   #2
Jamski
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

Local Time: 15:48
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Yep, he's a woss like all of us.

-Jam
Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.
Old January 8, 2004, 10:48   #3
Lazerus
Alpha Centauri PBEMNationStates
King

Local Time: 16:48
It's propoganda put out to try and break the spirits of his followers ... but we shall not falter ! the chairman will be released
Learn to overcome the crass demands of flesh and bone, for they warp the matrix through which we perceive the world. Extend your awareness outward, beyond the self of body, to embrace the self of group and the self of humanity. The goals of the group and the greater race are transcendant, and to embrace them is to acheive enlightenment.
Old January 8, 2004, 12:21   #4
Snowflake
ACDG3 SpartansACDG The Human HiveACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 GaiansACDG3 MorganACDG3 CMNs
Princess

Local Time: 09:48
Yang has excellent pain endurance, trust me. It is not so much not to scream when you are in pain, it is how you control your mind when you are in pain. Don't let the appearance of a screaming man deceive you ...

Quote:
Suddenly the shadow exploded into motion, and a black serpent crossed the distance to Yang in a heartbeat. Yang felt red hot wires of pain lace his neck, and he fell to his knees, cursing the post-sleep weakness that dulled his reflexes.
Psych-whip, a part of him thought calmly. They have been in the armory. And then he smiled as the pain intensified...he welcomed it, opened himself to it, letting it dance on his nerves and dissolve into his spine. Pain, awaken me….
"We mean you no immediate harm, but I know of your special talents. You must follow my instructions. Do not speak. Crawl along the blue lines."
He looked at the blue dots on the floor, his head still swimming. His eyes flickered up to one corner of the room, a zone of darkness with the vague sense of a metal bulkhead curving. In that darkness he could imagine the bland silvery eye of the security camera staring down at him, but it could not see into the far corner, where the blue dots lead.
He felt the muscles tighten along his back. He felt the cool metal floor beneath his hands.
Abruptly, he stood. Electric tension jolted across the room as shredder pistols twitched to follow him. He could smell the uncertainty...should we fire?...and it had the metallic tang of fear.
He took one slow pace along the blue dots, shuffling as if from fatigue, and then every muscle in his body exploded backward toward his cryocell as a yell from the bottom of his lungs split the darkness. One roll and he reached back over his head to take the black metal lockbox into his hands...no wasted motion, no wasted time. He had already seen the action in his mind. And then...
From Journey to Centauri. There were more, but I wouldn't bore everybody with it.

Grapefruit Garden
Old January 8, 2004, 12:22   #5
Mr. Harley
Prince

Local Time: 11:48
Unfortunately for him, the data was force fed. He neglected to consider that possibility.
Mr. Harley: I'm afraid my people haven't. I'm very sorry… I wish it were otherwise.
Old January 8, 2004, 12:50   #6
Snowflake
ACDG3 SpartansACDG The Human HiveACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 GaiansACDG3 MorganACDG3 CMNs
Princess

Data is always force fed. Read it again.

Quote:
you have received the information, now act on it. Take control of the input and you shall become master of the output.
Quote:
And then he smiled as the pain intensified...he welcomed it, opened himself to it, letting it dance on his nerves and dissolve into his spine. Pain, awaken me….

Grapefruit Garden
Old January 8, 2004, 15:27   #7
Illuminatus
staff
Apolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization IV CreatorsACDG3 CMNsACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansC4WDG Team ApolytonAge of Nations TeamACDG3 Gaians
Provost

Local Time: 17:48
Yang does not scream!
Option 1:
It is a computer generated screaming resembling his voice. It is played at the time of the incarceration so that his capturers would not be frustated that he can`t make Yang feel pain. This is done for the purpose of propaganda.

Option 2:
A michrochip has been installed in his body that takes control of his vocal chords, facial muscles, lungs and jaw, forcing him to scream even if he doesn`t want to, just zo show him that he is defeated.

additional theories welcome!
Old January 8, 2004, 15:59   #8
TimeTraveler
Warlord

Local Time: 10:48
Yang got a .96 on the Atherholt Trauma Function test, meaning his tolerance to pain is ridiculously high for human standards, but not perfect. All they had to do was raise the pain level of the punishment sphere to more than ridiculously high.
Old January 8, 2004, 16:40   #9
Alinestra Covelia
ACDG The Human HiveRise of Nations Multiplayer
Queen

According to Spaceballs logic, that would be Ludicrously High.
Old January 8, 2004, 17:16   #10
Mr. President
MacSpanish CiversNationStatesNever Ending StoriesCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG Planet University of Technology
Emperor

I don't consider Yang a fraud because he genuinely believes his philosophy.
Old January 8, 2004, 18:49   #11
#endgame
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by HongHu
It is not so much not to scream when you are in pain, it is how you control your mind when you are in pain. Don't let the appearance of a screaming man deceive you ...

Doesn't the guy in the virtual world movie scream until he "takes control of the input"?
Old January 8, 2004, 19:05   #12
Snowflake
Princess

Don't waste your precious energy to reshape your physical reaction. Then your mind will be free ...

I'd scream, I'd cry ... But you'll never be able to crash me.

Grapefruit Garden
Old January 8, 2004, 22:31   #13
Vev
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Human Hive
King

Curse, those females and their superior pain tolerance.

*shudders at the thought Yang is a female in disguise*
Old January 9, 2004, 00:59   #14
Enigma_Nova
C4DG The Mercenary Team
Emperor

Perhaps Yang has the sort of training I have.

Why bother in futility to fight a feeling which is inevitable? Why resist it if you gain nothing by doing so?
Would it not be better to accept the feeling, and let yourself be based around it, rather than waste your time trying to fight against it?
(Of course I try to fight the bloody pain if I feel I have something that needs to be done but if I'm sitting in a sphere I can't do very much can I?)

Rather than fighting the pain, fight yourself, and control yourself so that you can take the pain.
Make it so, that pain no longer bothers you. Let it be a part of you, and you a part of the pain.
Do not ignore, accept. Acceptance is superior to ignorance.

Accept the pain and fight its source. That's my strategy. I see FAR too many people doing things the other way around...
Old January 9, 2004, 02:07   #15
Sarxis
Rise of Nations MultiplayerAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
Emperor

Maybe Yang is screaming the death cry on behalf of the Hive's collective consciousness?
Old January 9, 2004, 13:32   #16
Lazerus
King

Why accept pain when simply cutting it off at the source and utterly ignoring the neurons in your brain that are telling you there is such a thing would result in immunity rather then your adjustment strategy?

However the downside to both cases is the better you get then you will basically lose a sense, touch. Unless you can control it like a switch.
Learn to overcome the crass demands of flesh and bone, for they warp the matrix through which we perceive the world. Extend your awareness outward, beyond the self of body, to embrace the self of group and the self of humanity. The goals of the group and the greater race are transcendant, and to embrace them is to acheive enlightenment.
Old January 9, 2004, 14:48   #17
Snowflake
Princess

You accept it because it is one of the inputs. Cutting it out means, yes, you are losing a sense. You can't form the right output. But more importantly, you are not complete.

Experience the experience. Feel it, in fact, amplify it. It will make you richer.

Grapefruit Garden
Old January 9, 2004, 19:22   #18
Enigma_Nova
C4DG The Mercenary Team
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Lazerus
Why accept pain when simply cutting it off at the source and utterly ignoring the neurons in your brain that are telling you there is such a thing would result in immunity rather then your adjustment strategy?

However the downside to both cases is the better you get then you will basically lose a sense, touch. Unless you can control it like a switch.
I can ignore -most- pain this way. I can't ignore being exhausted, though; It's probably a good thing as I'd likely kill myself if I could!

But Ignorance is inferior to acceptance, I'll give that.
Fighting wastes valuable energy and resources, it is more efficient to work with your surroundings.
Adapting the surroundings works too, but programming yourself to be immune to pain tends to make you do dumb things.
Old January 10, 2004, 08:28   #19
Lazerus
King

Meditate, control yourself and increase your energy.
Old January 10, 2004, 20:41   #20
:) Smiley
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

Local Time: 08:48
No pain no gain. Yet the game is imbalanced in favor of Yang.
Old January 11, 2004, 02:54   #21
#endgame
Prince

Now that I have divided the chairman's followers with this debate, I will buy them out with my gazillion energy credits. Go Morgan!

Quantum P. is a champion: http://geocities.com/zztexpert/docs/upoprgv4.html
Old January 11, 2004, 08:02   #22
Lazerus
King

We care not for your pleasures.

And thank you for now uniting us against a common enemy
Old January 11, 2004, 08:11   #23
#endgame
Prince

Oops.

Quantum P. is a champion: http://geocities.com/zztexpert/docs/upoprgv4.html
Old January 12, 2004, 23:44   #24
Frankychan
ACDG The Human HiveAlpha Centauri Democracy GameNationStatesAlpha Centauri PBEMApolyton Storywriters' Guild
King

Local Time: 05:48
I don't know what you guys are talking about.

"Yang in a punishment sphere"? Where the heck is that? All I see are faction leaders who've been stamped under the heel of Chairman Yang and the Human Hive.

Glory to the Hive!!!
"...but what sane person would move from Hawaii to Indiana?" -Dis
Old January 13, 2004, 04:24   #25
Mr. Harley
Prince

Sometimes though the Gaians get to feed him to the mindworms. :P
Mr. Harley: I'm afraid my people haven't. I'm very sorry… I wish it were otherwise.
Old January 13, 2004, 11:25   #26
Alinestra Covelia
ACDG The Human HiveRise of Nations Multiplayer
Queen

funny last time that happened the mind worms got as far as his dura mater before shrivelling up and dying. psychic resonancing revealed millions on tiny voices shouting "ACK IT'S A TRAP WE'VE BEEN POISONED THEY'VE FED US HARDCORE WEIRDASS BRAIN MATTER ACK"

Say what you like, but Chairman Sheng Ji Yang is a leader of a core far harder than any other faction.
Old January 13, 2004, 15:54   #27
Enigma_Nova
C4DG The Mercenary Team
Emperor

Sorry, but both Morgan and Miriam follow their doctrines more hard-coredly than Yang does.
Old January 13, 2004, 15:59   #28
Illuminatus
staff
Apolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization IV CreatorsACDG3 CMNsACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansC4WDG Team ApolytonAge of Nations TeamACDG3 Gaians
Provost

Every faction leader follows his doctrines same as the others do. There is no difference between strengths of each belief. Zak is and stays mad researcher, Yang is and stays an idi... ermm a genius. [looks frightened around for signs of Mind Police]
Old January 14, 2004, 03:33   #29
Shai-Hulud
Prince

It's 50/50, though I was sure Yang emphatizers would dominate

Now, go forth, and thought control more followers...
"I'm having a sort of hard time paying attention because my automated teller has started speaking to me, sometimes actually leaving weird messages on the screen, in green lettering, like "Cause a Terrible Scene at Sotheby's" or "Kill the President" or "Feed Me a Stray Cat", and I was freaked out by the park bench that followed me for six blocks last Monday evening and it too spoke to me."
- Patrick Bateman, American Psycho by Bret Easton Ellis
Old January 16, 2004, 21:53   #30
Frankychan
ACDG The Human HiveAlpha Centauri Democracy GameNationStatesAlpha Centauri PBEMApolyton Storywriters' Guild
King

Local Time: 05:48
Disciples of Yang:

Alinestra Covelia
Lazarus
HongHu
Frankychan

....anymore? We be kicking it, Hive-style up in this mutha frizzin hiz-ouse!
"...but what sane person would move from Hawaii to Indiana?" -Dis