View Poll Results: Agree
Yes 20 54.05%
No 17 45.95%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Old January 18, 2004, 18:07   #31
Mr. President
MacSpanish CiversNationStatesNever Ending StoriesCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG Planet University of Technology
Emperor

Local Time: 01:48
Local Date: November 3, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Frankychan
Disciples of Yang:

Alinestra Covelia
Lazarus
HongHu
Frankychan

....anymore? We be kicking it, Hive-style up in this mutha frizzin hiz-ouse!
I usually play Morgan or Deirdre (because they're the only ones I'm capable of playing) but Chairman Yang is way cool.
Old January 19, 2004, 01:18   #32
Enigma_Nova
C4DG The Mercenary Team
Emperor

Drat. Where the hell are the Uni and CyCon teams?
Old January 19, 2004, 02:56   #33
jtsisyoda
ACDG The Free DronesAlpha Centauri PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 Morgan
King

Local Time: 10:48
Local Date: November 2, 2010
I believe all leaders are frauds to some degree. Their followers, too, usually believe less than they let on.
Old January 24, 2004, 02:50   #34
The Mad Monk
Emperor

Well, if you're born into a given faction, it's likely you've been indoctirinated with the philosophy to such an extant that other factions really don't make any sense. OTOH, if you are in such a situation, you are likely to hide any doubts you personally have regarding that doctrine. So your postulation is correct...to an extent.
"We have tried spending money. We are spending more than we have ever spent before and it does not work...After eight years of this Administration, we have just as much unemployment as when we started... And an enormous debt to boot!" — Henry Morgenthau, Franklin Delano Roosevelt's Treasury secretary, 1941.
Old January 24, 2004, 04:31   #35
Barinthus
Alpha Centauri PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy Game
King

Local Time: 07:48
Political refugees for instance
Old January 24, 2004, 22:53   #36
Starfarer
Chieftain

Local Time: 15:48
Location: The endless oceans of Darkness that surround us all...
I have found that Yang's paradise, like all utopias, have several fatal flaws that will never be soothed to complacency. The mere fact that one of his important foremans, Domai, revolted and threw off his yoke is enough to easily display the problems in Yang's doctrines.

The "sleeping demons", as our dear law-obsessed Lal would put it.

I don't believe Yang to be a fraud... But then, most madmen truly believe their own drivel.

As well, most madmen do not realize until too late that they are dead wrong.

Or just dead.

Humans aren't set up for a hive-mind... and to attempt to create one?

Foolishness. But then, like all tyrants, it would likely be difficult to convince him of this...

All I am left to wonder now is how long before the next revolution?

*grin*

And now I skip away into the darkness of the datalinks, where I can, perchance, stay away from the police that will no doubt be sicced on my head for thinking against the collective.

Ta!
Old January 25, 2004, 01:45   #37
Snowflake
ACDG3 SpartansACDG The Human HiveACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 GaiansACDG3 MorganACDG3 CMNs
Princess

Local Time: 09:48
The really sad part though, to any of the philosophy, is that although we may lack people who fully understand the philosophy, but we would never lack people who believe they know what they are talking about and we would never lack people who believe they have found the exact deadly flaw of that philosophy.

Grapefruit Garden
Old January 25, 2004, 02:03   #38
jtsisyoda
ACDG The Free DronesAlpha Centauri PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 Morgan
King

Long on critics and cynics, short on learners and searchers? Probably.
Old January 25, 2004, 06:17   #39
#endgame
ACDG3 MorganAlpha Centauri PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy Game
Prince

And still the score is 50/50

Quantum P. is a champion: http://geocities.com/zztexpert/docs/upoprgv4.html
Old January 25, 2004, 14:26   #40
Illuminatus
staff
Apolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization IV CreatorsACDG3 CMNsACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansC4WDG Team ApolytonAge of Nations TeamACDG3 Gaians
Provost

Local Time: 17:48
It is sad that they are people who talk one and do another like Yang. His Utopia is just another type of Police State. There are better totalitarian systems.
Old January 25, 2004, 14:29   #41
jtsisyoda
King

Better totalitarian systems? I'd like to hear more about this idea of benevolent oppression.
Old January 25, 2004, 16:30   #42
Illuminatus
staff
Apolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization IV CreatorsACDG3 CMNsACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansC4WDG Team ApolytonAge of Nations TeamACDG3 Gaians
Provost

Huxley
Old January 25, 2004, 16:31   #43
Illuminatus
staff
Provost

Remember: Atlantis is basically a totalitarian society. To bad it sank in sea
Old January 25, 2004, 17:13   #44
Zero
PtWDG Glory of WarInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamACDG The Human HiveC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG3 SpartansPtWDG2 Monkey
King

Fools. Yangs cry in the punishment sphere is a battle cry, telling yall "is this the best you can do? bring it on!"
Old January 25, 2004, 17:44   #45
Illuminatus
staff
Provost

"bring it on, I can shout even louder in agony"
Old January 25, 2004, 19:25   #46
Zero
PtWDG Glory of WarInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamACDG The Human HiveC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG3 SpartansPtWDG2 Monkey
King

Quote:
Disciples of Yang:

Alinestra Covelia
Lazarus
HongHu
Frankychan

....anymore? We be kicking it, Hive-style up in this mutha frizzin hiz-ouse!
Count me in! tEh HiVe PoWeRzZZzZZ!!!11!!!!

Reasons why I should be disciple of yang:

My favorite DVD set: Alien quadrilogy
My favorite Video Game race: Zergs
My favorite B Movie: Starship troopers
My fvorite SciFi Book: Ender's game
My favorite SMAC faction: TeH HiVES!!!11111!!

Quote:
Humans aren't set up for a hive-mind... and to attempt to create one?

Foolishness.
STFU N00b OmG OmG!!!11!! You sO NoT R0x0r!!1!! j00 R just JeaOus CaUzE tEh HiVe r TeH L337 HaX0rZZZZZ
Old January 25, 2004, 21:48   #47
Starfarer
Chieftain

Heh... just because SOME of us don't need mind-control and brainwashing to get followers is no reason to toss insults.

*grin*

Some of us like our followers to be intelligent enough to survive without five or six thousand friends.

*winks and skips off*
Old January 25, 2004, 22:10   #48
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

Quote:
Originally posted by obstructor
"bring it on, I can shout even louder in agony"
Classic.
Old January 26, 2004, 21:53   #49
Frankychan
ACDG The Human HiveAlpha Centauri Democracy GameNationStatesAlpha Centauri PBEMApolyton Storywriters' Guild
King

Local Time: 05:48
Zero-lol, you are pretty crazy man.

I still think Yang's utopian society is far better than...say....the Spartans or the University. His vision and dream seems far more altruistic than Morgan's.

As I said before and numerous times, give me Yang any day.

1 voice is ignored, 1 million aren't.
"...but what sane person would move from Hawaii to Indiana?" -Dis
Old January 26, 2004, 21:55   #50
Frankychan
ACDG The Human HiveAlpha Centauri Democracy GameNationStatesAlpha Centauri PBEMApolyton Storywriters' Guild
King

Crimson-I never figured you as a Morganite. How the heck do you play him without having the other's extort you? I tried playing him as a pure, pacifist builder and by 2200 I was at war with EVERYONE else!
Old January 26, 2004, 23:50   #51
Mr. President
MacSpanish CiversNationStatesNever Ending StoriesCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG Planet University of Technology
Emperor

It's damn hard. You can sometimes bribe people to not attack you. But usually I also end up at war with almost everyone. And that -1 Support is a royal pain in the butt for people like me who like to maintain huge armies. I usually go Police State - Free Market - Wealth but that, of course, exacerbates the at-war-with-everyone-else situation.
Old January 27, 2004, 04:18   #52
Shai-Hulud
Prince

Quote:
How the heck do you play him without having the other's extort you? I tried playing him as a pure, pacifist builder and by 2200 I was at war with EVERYONE else!
Try not to play Morgan as you play Yang

When playing Yang you can afford war easily early on. Actually, in many cases, you'll be wanting that. But Morgan is one faction that can really benefit from commerce income and...they are terribly weak in the beginning. Actually, in SP, I'll do pretty much anything I can to avoid early conflict. It's well worth it to bribe other factions into treaties. The immediate cost is payed off by commerce transactions and valuable savings in war efforts.

But when the cash starts to tumble in - you'll be happy you chose Morgan Industries
"I'm having a sort of hard time paying attention because my automated teller has started speaking to me, sometimes actually leaving weird messages on the screen, in green lettering, like "Cause a Terrible Scene at Sotheby's" or "Kill the President" or "Feed Me a Stray Cat", and I was freaked out by the park bench that followed me for six blocks last Monday evening and it too spoke to me."
- Patrick Bateman, American Psycho by Bret Easton Ellis
Old January 27, 2004, 08:11   #53
Mr. Harley
Prince

Local Time: 11:48
I don't per se dislike Yang, but in SP he isn't much of a challenge, like Diedre and the University. Take advantage of his immunity to further inefficiency and play the tradional Police/Planned. I always beelined for the Cloning Vats, but now that you can pop boom him...

Lal is pretty straight foward, and the Spartans are a little tough. Morgan is easy if you play huge maps, but I've never tried him on a small one, that could be rough. I'm playing Miriam on a large map of planet, starting in one of the poorer spots on the map, the SW corner of the inland sea. It's piss poor until you get terraforming, and playing Miriam...
Mr. Harley: I'm afraid my people haven't. I'm very sorry… I wish it were otherwise.
Old January 27, 2004, 11:36   #54
Ogie Oglethorpe
ACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Quote:

1 voice is ignored, 1 million aren't.
Reverse Stalin quote no?

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter
Old January 27, 2004, 20:47   #55
Starfarer
Chieftain

One million voices may not be easy to ignore, but one intelligent rebel is all it takes to start a revolution you can't put down.

Remember, those of you adhering to brutality policies... Brutality forments discontent, and while you may have an iron grip, we are the grain of sand that slips through your finger, slips into your boot, and gets VERY annoying.

Then we grow teeth and nibble on your toes, so fear us, please?
Old January 28, 2004, 20:29   #56
Frankychan
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Ogie Oglethorpe

Reverse Stalin quote no?
Variant thereof. Good reference.

1 death is a tragedy, 1 million...a statistic.
Old January 28, 2004, 20:32   #57
Frankychan
King

Shai-I tried playing Morgan how he's supposed to be played (bribe everyone not to attack me) but it doesn't work. The AI usually starts asking for more creds than I have saved.

...but I don't like getting extorted for my funds so I guess Yang is good enough for me.
Old January 28, 2004, 21:29   #58
Guynemer
C4WDG The GooniesCiv4 SP Democracy GameBtS Tri-League
Emperor

Local Time: 11:48
I'm ashamed to admit this, being a SMAC fan from the day the demo went online, let alone the game went on the shelves...

...but I have never, not once, played as Yang. Miriam either. I just found it too... distasteful. I've at least given it a good college try with all the other human factions, including SMACX, but I just think I'd get somewhat depressed if I tried to roleplay as someone so antithetical to my every belief...
Old January 28, 2004, 22:15   #59
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

Quote:
Originally posted by Guynemer
I'm ashamed to admit this, being a SMAC fan from the day the demo went online, let alone the game went on the shelves...

...but I have never, not once, played as Yang. Miriam either. I just found it too... distasteful. I've at least given it a good college try with all the other human factions, including SMACX, but I just think I'd get somewhat depressed if I tried to roleplay as someone so antithetical to my every belief...
There are people on Planet who do not believe in the immortal word of Chairman Yang?

Not for long
Old January 29, 2004, 00:02   #60
Frankychan
King

WHAAAAT?!!!!!

How can someone NOT play Yang?! He is the shining light of SMAC.

(of course...I haven't played as Miriam so that's understandable)