Old January 8, 2004, 12:37   #1
Moon
Settler

Local Time: 15:50
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Game crashing because of Terranx
As I get deeper into a game with Alien Crossfire, it frequenltly crashes and gives me the following message: "Terranx has caused an errror in Terranx.icd. Is there a fix for this? Or is it just hopeless?
Old January 8, 2004, 18:53   #2
#endgame
ACDG3 MorganAlpha Centauri PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy Game
Prince

Local Time: 01:50
Local Date: November 3, 2010
.icd files are used in safedisc protected games.

Look for a nocd for SMACX.

There are 'generic' safedisc crackers available.
Someone said that "Safedisc Annihilator" worked for them, or try searching for UnSafeDisc.

Hope it helps.

Quantum P. is a champion: http://geocities.com/zztexpert/docs/upoprgv4.html
Old January 8, 2004, 19:07   #3
Barinthus
Alpha Centauri PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy Game
King

Local Time: 07:50
Moon, were you using Windows XP? I sure hope this doesn't happen to me. If it does I'll be sure to follow up on you on whether if you were able to fix the problem
Old January 8, 2004, 22:07   #4
The Mad Monk
Emperor

Local Time: 10:50
IIRC, the dreaded "terranx crash" is the bug to end all bugs. The problem, I think, centers around needlejets, units on patrol, and especially needlejets on patrol.

The only "fix" I remember seeing is to go back to a savegame several turns before the one with the crash, and do things differently so it (hopefully) dosen't happen again.
"We have tried spending money. We are spending more than we have ever spent before and it does not work...After eight years of this Administration, we have just as much unemployment as when we started... And an enormous debt to boot!" — Henry Morgenthau, Franklin Delano Roosevelt's Treasury secretary, 1941.
Old January 9, 2004, 19:50   #5
Moon
Settler

Local Time: 15:50
DataAeolus
I am running Windows ME.

As far as going back to an earlier saved game, I've done that and it helps, but as the game goes on it helps less and less. I have not had a chance to locate a safedisk cracker yet. That might be the only hope. The thing that puzzles me is that this didn't use to happen.
Old January 9, 2004, 20:14   #6
Darsnan
supporter
Alpha Centauri PBEMACDG3 GaiansApolytoners Hall of FameC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansPolyCast TeamSpore
Emperor

Local Time: 11:50
Moon,

are you running any other "background" programs, or have your gaming tendencies changed in that you are playing SMAC(X) after other programs have been run? Reason I am asking is that when I only played SP, I never had a problem with Terranx crashes, however right after I started playing PBEM's (i.e. my gaming habits changed), I started experiencing crashes during games and PBEM turns. What it boiled down to was that Windows was doing a very poor job of reallocating RAM, and thus I was running out of virtual memory as game turns progressed/ became more complex.
If you get the chance, experiment with your problem by rebooting your computer, turn off any other programs that are present after startup, and play your game and see if you experience the same problems as experienced before.
Don't know if you've already tried this or not, but if not, hope it helps. FYI.

D

-=Vel=-
Old January 9, 2004, 22:22   #7
Mead
ACDG The Human HiveACDG3 MorganAlpha Centauri Democracy Game
King

Local Time: 10:50
Re: Game crashing because of Terranx
Quote:
Originally posted by Moon
As I get deeper into a game with Alien Crossfire, it frequenltly crashes and gives me the following message: "Terranx has caused an errror in Terranx.icd. Is there a fix for this? Or is it just hopeless?
It started to happen to me when I was using SMAC.

Often, I would try to go back a few save turns, but it seemed to be just getting worse.

Eventually, I uninstalled SMAC, and reinstalled it from the CD.

I think, but am not sure, that using drop Colony Pod's (CP's) caused it. I had just altered my game by starting to use drop CP's. Since then I have not used drop CP's (even though now I have SMAX) out of the fear that that would cause it to happen again. I have heard other people use drop CP's without problems.

Note that once I reinstalled the SMAC program files from the CD I discovered that all of my saved games were still there (they were not lost).

Mead