Old January 9, 2004, 11:22   #1
Filippo
Chieftain

Local Time: 16:52
Local Date: November 2, 2010
My Path in Conquests
I think Conquests scenarios are quite interesting with their peculiar stuff.

I started with Mesopotamia, Demigod level, picked Agamemnon. I scored around 5700+ points in the end.
At half of the game I was at war with everyone. The freaking Hittites just brought everyone against me, even my old friends (Sumerians and Phoenicians). I would have never won in these conditions if I didn't pick the myceneans. Their Hoplites are simply the best to go in this scenario... basically all you need to do is research and build (wonders). So you just need to be on the defense and Hoplites are very die hard and the best for this. What I did was build Troy with walls and place enough hoplites there. Literally entires armies of all the nations would come and be annhilated under Troy's walls with minimal losses on my side. This allowed me to make a lot of VP by killed units, have 2 heroes with which I built 2 armies that razed some Hittites towns in the end, and kept everyone busy making war with me so that they forgot to build the last wonder (they had the tech much earlier than me). So I built the Great Lighthouse and had a good laugh at the AI once again

Yesterday started playing the Rise of Rome as Ceasar Augustus (Demigod level). This is a completely different game. It's all about war (in the victory conditions too). Everyone in this scenario is a warmonger... lol it's so funny. You will see military alliances be born and die in a few turns, and everyone is so picky you won't believe it. I am currently at war with almost all my neighbours: Carthage from beginning, then Greece and Celts because they allied. They hardly are a nuisance though. I conquered Sicily and the other islands from Carthage in the beginning, so defending is not hard. North I have mountains helping a lot, and south there is the sea. I think this is what happened IRL too... Romans just had great geographical advantages. The key I guess is in the sea (as was IRL). Greece and Carthage built 2 scary fleets but I am using a guerrilla tactic to strike them and meanwhile building a huge fleet to crash theirs and control the seas. Once I'll rule the Mediterranean Sea, I think I'll start the counterattack... although I have several legions marching and sailing toward Macedonia right now. Legions just kick major asses.
Persians and Goths are good allies to keep the enemies busy enough for you to breath. I forgot I am also at war with Scythes, but they are so far away they aren't a big threat... for now (their mounted units might be a pain for my legions).