Old January 9, 2004, 17:06   #1
ftrooper93
Settler

Local Time: 15:53
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Mutual Protection
Is this ever really a good idea?

I've been a big player in the game before and signed a few mutual protection deals.

Here's my take:

When you're the big dog, and sign them (at no cost or little cost) to basically secure your borders and make sureyou don't have to fight someone, the smaller civs, heck, any of your partners tend to declare war on other folks and drag you into a fight you want to avoid.

When you're little, you basically are paying protection money, which the AI will break if it feels the need or desire/
Old January 9, 2004, 17:09   #2
Rhothaerill
supporter
C4DG SarantiumPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GamePtWDG2 TabemonoInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildApolyton UniversityCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG Huygen's UnionC3CDG Euphorica
Emperor

Local Time: 08:53
I would tend to agree with you. In almost all of my games that last into the mid-Industrial age, MPP fueled world war inevitably occurs. I try to stay out of MPPs to avoid getting sucked into wars and world wars I don't want.
Old January 9, 2004, 18:20   #3
Argos65987
Civilization III Democracy Game
Warlord

Local Time: 10:53
I find them to be useful only if I have a rival that could potentially do serious damage to my empire and need help. In other words, only if I can't stand alone or if a gang of AI's are banding together. Although I have seen some games where two major MPPs never fought each other but did get into wars with unaligned nations.
Old January 9, 2004, 19:21   #4
MattPilot
Prince

just like the real world, were the US tried to stay out of any "collective security" pacts after World War 1. I would try to do the same in the game.

There is no real point in MPP unless you are a warmongerer and YOU want to drag others into a war with you. If you want to stay peaceful, stay out of a MPP.

When your are in a MPP, the AI adds both of your "strength" values together, and makes decisions from that. Either by demanding stuff from third party nations or by going on territoral grabs.
Old January 9, 2004, 19:51   #5
Bonaparte
Warlord

When I am about to go to war with a major AI civ that is adjacent to me I'll sign a MPP with whatever civ that lies along that civs opposite border...that way my victim will have to split its forces and I won't get hit with all of them...this is a standard tactic I use and it works wonders...although the AI civ that signed the MPP with me may not think so.
Old January 10, 2004, 19:57   #6
justjake73
Prince

Just take a look at WWI, and you'll see why I stay out of MPPs.
and in the darkness bind them.
Old January 10, 2004, 20:01   #7
Kropotkin
Emperor

Local Time: 17:53
Well, if we're three big ones trying to dominate the world and one of them is pissed at me and/or share a long border with, it's nice to be able to get an alliance with the third party that will make a war with me costly. It's also, obviously a great thing for the AIs as the person that plays the game just can't take the AIs out one by one quite as easily.
Old January 11, 2004, 02:05   #8
Vince278
King

Don't use it anymore. MPP has become synonymous with "get dragged into a war you don't want" to me.
"And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
"Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
2004 Presidential Candidate
2008 Presidential Candidate (for what its worth)
Old January 11, 2004, 08:38   #9
Tattila the Hun
King

Local Time: 18:53
Does MPP's have deterrent effect? This hasn't been too clear. If a nation would declare war on me, based on my/their military, does an MPP with equally big neigbourring nation cause them to... "think twice"?
Old January 11, 2004, 11:13   #10
MattPilot
Prince

yes, when the agressor AI thinks about going to war with you, it takes your "power" score & your Ally's "power" score and adds them up.

However, your Ally will do the same. He will add your "power' score to his and make decisions from that - and those decisions will most likely lead to a war you don't want.
Old January 11, 2004, 12:47   #11
Rasputin
lifer
DiploGamesThe Courts of Candle'Bre
Deity

Local Time: 01:53
Local Date: November 3, 2010
mPP are great whenever you want to start a war.....
GM of MAFIA #40 ,#41, #43, #45,#47,#49-#51,#53-#58,#61,#68,#70, #71
Old January 11, 2004, 16:28   #12
WarpStorm
King

I like them because they will often get everyone into a nice war. With any luck they can keep duking it out well after I've pulled out.
Old January 11, 2004, 19:36   #13
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 11:53
Not a big user of them.
Old January 11, 2004, 19:39   #14
Theseus
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Location: The warmonger formerly known as rpodos. Gathering Storm!
Almost never, unless I am the mack daddy killer civ and have the capability to war with everyone else all at once... then I screw around with Machiavellian stuff.
The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.
Old January 11, 2004, 20:14   #15
Plotinus
Prince

Local Time: 16:53
Yes, these are only useful if you're in a Machiavellian mood. Signing a MPP with someone for no particular reason, or purely for a bargaining tool, is asking for trouble.

The one time you need to make MPPs is when your rival is doing so and you believe war is likely. In my game, the dastardly Zulus recently declared war on me, and before I knew where I was everyone else had, too, because they were all in a ghastly huge network of alliances. Annoying not so much for the military threat (I am invincible on my island stronghold) as the fact that all my nice Luxury deals fall though instantly, and the finances of the entire globe cease to flow into my capacious coffers. In cases like this you need to keep an eye on how other alliances are shaping up and, if necessary, sign up some people to your side to even it out. One nice trick is to sign up the *same* people whom your rival does, which might at least weaken his coalition when war breaks out. I'm not entirely sure what happens in such a case. I believe that if there is a civilisation which has a MPP with two powers who subsequently go to war with each other, it will fight on the side of whichever *gets attacked* first, but I could be wrong. Any info on this?
Old January 11, 2004, 20:33   #16
Theseus
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Plotinus
I believe that if there is a civilisation which has a MPP with two powers who subsequently go to war with each other, it will fight on the side of whichever *gets attacked* first, but I could be wrong. Any info on this?
I think it's "gets attacked in their own territory." So attacking an enemy in YOUR territory, or someplace neutral, doesn;t count. And, btw, it includes bombardment.
The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Old January 11, 2004, 20:35   #17
ChrisiusMaximus
Civilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization III Democracy GameC3CDG Blood Oath HordeC4DG The HordeC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogCiv4 SP Democracy GameCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG éirich tuireann
Emperor

Local Time: 16:53
Yes youre right but only when you attack them inside their territory will the third party declare on you.

One thing would be to have a choice whether to accept the call to arms when an MPP gets activated.
A proud member of the "Apolyton Story Writers Guild".There are many great stories at the Civ 3 stories forum, do yourself a favour and visit the forum. Lose yourself in one of many epic tales and be inspired to write yourself, as I was.
Old January 12, 2004, 02:54   #18
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

This is the type of information that should have been documented by Firaxis. It could have been in the strat guide so they would not have to make a larger manual, but it should hae been available.

There is a ton of this type of stuff in the game, that we have to stumble across.

Last edited by vmxa1; January 12, 2004 at 14:20.
Old January 12, 2004, 12:48   #19
BulMaster
Civilization III Democracy GameACDG PeaceAlpha Centauri Democracy Game
Warlord

when i go to war i just drag the rest of the world trough alliances with me a tech here some gold there or a resource damn the AI i so eaget to fight. Of course i had the problem when egypt betrayed me twice in one turn, first china the warmonger broke my alliance with egypt by bribing them to peace. Since i had a trade going in with the alliance in the same deal, I could talk to egypt imediatly and draged to war again when we left the table the ai resumed its turns and it was egypt that signed peace with china :| that's twice in one turn LOL of course i dragged them again but china is about to kill me as all my allies(23 in total) are in wars between them lol and fight each other while china will soon reach the main part of my empire where there are no troops already as everyone went to the border cities to fight but i have 35 infantry left and 38 cossakcs, killed the cinese cavalry but the map i play rubber is scarce only in east asia i was importing but no i can;t build infantry and the cosacks proove usless against the infantry so unless i betray the world by signing peace i will be killed. Did anyone betrayed 23 countries in the same time? too bad china is bent to kill me as she wants no negotiations :9
Old January 12, 2004, 16:09   #20
steven8r
Prince

Local Time: 09:53
Quote:
Originally posted by ChrisiusMaximus
Yes youre right but only when you attack them inside their territory will the third party declare on you.

One thing would be to have a choice whether to accept the call to arms when an MPP gets activated.
It also has to deal with troop positions at the end of a turn. If your troops are even within someone elses border and they have an MPP, that will triger it.

The only way not to trigger an MPP is to just attack enemy units w/in YOUR OWN territory. As soon as you try to press an offensive advantage and 'cross the line', you will trigger the MPP.

MPP's suck if you want to avoid war because the AI's will always declare war on one another and somehow drag you into it. If however, your goal is to War w/ everyone, then MPP's come highly recommended.

Steven
Old January 12, 2004, 17:40   #21
Cookie Monster
King

I never enter an MPP when I am weak because of the unwanted war syndrome.

If I am 2 or 3 on the power list however and I want to knock down 1 a notch then I try to get the other ai civs to MPP or MA with me to gangbang 1. MPP is a great offensive tool if used properly. To use an MPP with the hope of defense, in the Civ3 game world, is folly because the very thing you want to avoid gets thrust upon you forcibly. I'd rather bribe like a coward the bullies to buy time to fight them on equal terms.
Old January 12, 2004, 20:44   #22
Theseus
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by vmxa1
This is the type of information that should have been documented by Firaxis. It could have been in the strat guide so they would not have to make a larger manual, but it should hae been available.

There is a ton of this type of stuff in the game, that we have to stumble across.
That's funny... when I wrote my response I was gonna go ahead and add just the same thing... how people learn to play this game without finding the various websites is beyond me.