Old January 9, 2004, 17:18   #1
ftrooper93
Settler

Local Time: 15:53
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Things I want in diplomacy
Just wanted to start a list of things you'd like to have in diplomacy

Ability to start proxy wars, to pay someone to fight someone else without having to actually get involved directly. Maybe to balance it make it so the attacked civ can find out you paid someone off and declare war on you.

One way rights of passage. I'd like to make another civ I've beaten up on a lot give me right of passage but not have to reciprocate.

Fee for roads. If I built the damn road network, and someone else wants to use it to ship resources, luxuries, or trade with another civ, they should have to pay me. This is why choke points of trade were so important in the ancient world, heck, its why the Trojan war really started. So if I build a road and Civ A wants to ship something to Civ B and has NO OTHER way except via my roads....pay me.

Selling units...or giving them. I'm playing a game now with Spain is a little tiny country and Korea, my biggest rival, decided to pick on them. I want to keep Spain as a buffer state but don't want to fight the Koreans. To help spain I've given them money and tech, but in CIV 1 you could give units. Why can't I do that now...like the Russians sending fighters and pilots to the PRK in the 50s or Vietnam in the 60s.

The ability to have agreements last longer or less than 20 turns.

Fix the trade system. I sold in one turn to a single civ several resources. But when renegotiation time came..it negotiated them one at a time...over several turns.
Old January 9, 2004, 18:05   #2
steven8r
Prince

Local Time: 09:53
Being able to 'Cause Peace' could be another useful Diplomatic option. It's easy to get someone to help you start a war. A way to negotiate a peace settlement would be a nice addition.

Steven
Old January 9, 2004, 18:08   #3
Argos65987
Civilization III Democracy Game
Warlord

Local Time: 10:53
Quote:
Originally posted by steven8r
Being able to 'Cause Peace' could be another useful Diplomatic option. It's easy to get someone to help you start a war. A way to negotiate a peace settlement would be a nice addition.

Steven
Yes! Yes! Yes!

Brokering a peace between 2 warring AI civs (a la SMAC) would be a very welcome addition
Old January 10, 2004, 15:27   #4
Xorbon
Prince

Local Time: 11:53
A thing I'd like to see is more help from the foreign advisor when you're in discussions with another civ. More specifically, I'd like him to tell me the consequences of going into a deal with someone. For instance, what trade agreements will be disrupted by declaring war or joining an alliance. Or what MPPs a civ you're about to declare war on has. Or what trade deals will be lost by joining an embargo. Etc...
Old January 10, 2004, 19:57   #5
Kropotkin
Emperor

Local Time: 17:53
Diplomacy has always been one area in the civ-series that people has wanted more out off. I guess this desire hasn't been met partly due to the AI. But some points like Xorbon's would'nt of cource be to hard to fix and I agree with them. There's quite often to many choices that has to be made without a chance to weight the advantages properly before hand.
Old January 10, 2004, 21:13   #6
MattPilot
Prince

Local Time: 15:53
I really wish there was the ability to 'sell' or 'trade' ANY units that are in the capital city. This is currently one of my biggest wishes of all (you can do it Jesse! )

A 'losing' AI could buy its way out of defeat. Or a third world country could buy some modern weapons since it doesn't have the resources for it. Just like Afghanistan buying some high-tech stingers to shoot down those Russian Hinds(that was over 10 years ago). Or an ally could just help out a 'buddy' without getting involved in the war directly and get paid on a per turn basis (lend lease deal).

PLEAAAASSEE JESSE, give us this feature
Old January 10, 2004, 22:40   #7
Kropotkin
Emperor

Local Time: 17:53
Yeah, the possibility for a leand-lease kind of sell would be kind of nice. Ie, you sell the ability to make a decided number of units of a special type for a limited time. It would be nice to be able to sell your UU for a good price. This might be a pipe dream though. But in the game we call real life - everything is for sale, at the right price.
Old January 11, 2004, 09:02   #8
justjake73
Prince

Local Time: 10:53
Military aid - you give money and they can build infantry or guerrillas.

How about a "limited" alliance? A few cities without Barracks could make veteran units ("military advisors?") , you can use airbases for a fee, or have use of port facilities.
and in the darkness bind them.