Old January 9, 2004, 17:25   #1
ftrooper93
Settler

Local Time: 15:53
Local Date: November 2, 2010
the big world wars
Observation:

Does it seem to you that there are certain point in the time line in years, regardless of tech or anything else, when a big war breaks out?

Same thing for a major barbarian uprising and invaision.

Feels like there's a barbarian or war at 500 BC, 500-1000 AD, 1500 AD (war), and then a "modern" war.
Old January 9, 2004, 17:33   #2
Rhothaerill
supporter
C4DG SarantiumPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GamePtWDG2 TabemonoInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildApolyton UniversityCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG Huygen's UnionC3CDG Euphorica
Emperor

Local Time: 08:53
A large barbarian invasion happens when two civs enter the middle ages. All current huts suddenly burst with barbs. Though in Conquests so far the barbs don't do much. I'm not positive if a barb invasion would happen in the next age because the map is usually mostly covered by that time.

Regarding world wars, in many of my games MPPs generally lead to world wars in the industrial age and beyond. Occasionally I'll see one before that though.
Old January 9, 2004, 18:13   #3
Argos65987
Civilization III Democracy Game
Warlord

Local Time: 10:53
Quote:
Originally posted by Rhothaerill
A large barbarian invasion happens when two civs enter the middle ages. All current huts suddenly burst with barbs.
I didn't know this. Is this a confirmed observation?

As for the barbs not doing much, usually by then the warriors or horsemen they have are outclassed by the players units and it seems the AI won't let them attack at such a disadvantage. I have also noticed that they even seem hesitant to enter cultural borders to pillage by the middle ages.

I would like to see in future games if the barb units would keep "upgrading" thru the eras as the players do, say land units advance to guerillas and sea units at least advance up to privateers.
Old January 9, 2004, 18:25   #4
Rhothaerill
supporter
C4DG SarantiumPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GamePtWDG2 TabemonoInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildApolyton UniversityCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG Huygen's UnionC3CDG Euphorica
Emperor

It is confirmed.

As to barb upgrades through the ages, I do not believe that is possible with the current code. Civ4 might have it.
Old January 9, 2004, 18:27   #5
Tall Stranger
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton University
Warlord

Local Time: 11:53
Quote:
Originally posted by Argos65987
I didn't know this. Is this a confirmed observation?
Yup, this is a well-known fact. In a sense it's nice, as it gives you a sense of where you stand in the tech race. If you get the notice that "We have reports of a massive barbarian uprising near XXX!" and you're not in the Middle Ages yet, you know that at least two of your opponents ARE.

Quote:
As for the barbs not doing much, usually by then the warriors or horsemen they have are outclassed by the players units and it seems the AI won't let them attack at such a disadvantage. I have also noticed that they even seem hesitant to enter cultural borders to pillage by the middle ages.
Depends on the map and the manner in which you've expanded. If you have some lonesome, 1 pop cities with, say, only a spearman for defense, a massive barb attack can pose a challenge.

Quote:
I would like to see in future games if the barb units would keep "upgrading" thru the eras as the players do, say land units advance to guerillas and sea units at least advance up to privateers.
There has been many discussions of this, and many people agree that barbs ought to be more of a challenge. However, as it currently stands, barbs can only be assigned 2 land units, which are set at warrior and horseman in the default version of the rules. You can use the editor to change this, however, you can not add additional units.
Old January 9, 2004, 18:29   #6
:) Smiley
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

I use standard size maps, and by the time there are 2 civs in the middle ages the entire map is claimed. So, barbarians are really only a concern pre 0 A.D. when there is actually some open space.

Interesting story of what happened when there was a "massive barbarian uprising" in the few unclaimed tiles near this new city I'd just put down. 20 horsemen take out the defending unit and pillage the city repeatedly. By the 10th horseman or so, there wasn't even anything to pillage but they kept going in and then disappearing.
Old January 10, 2004, 03:34   #7
Sartek
Settler

Local Time: 07:53
lol
Old January 10, 2004, 05:32   #8
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 11:53
You can see lots of barbs in modern times, just raze lots of cities and leave the land empty. Next thing you know your MA is rolling along and sees a barb warrior. Very funny indeed.
Old January 11, 2004, 08:44   #9
Tattila the Hun
King

Local Time: 18:53
That axe of their's will cut trough chopham like trough butter.

Chopham?

Sounds like something a butcher might do.
Old January 12, 2004, 08:06   #10
bongo
lifer
PtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafPtWDG Neu DemogypticaCivilization III PBEMC3CDG Blood Oath HordeIron CiversC4DG The HordeC4WDG éirich tuireann
Emperor

Local Time: 16:53
Can you say 'Elite training ground'?

(they will not be open for long as even AI civs at war will send settlers across the globe to claim that empty space.)
Old January 12, 2004, 09:03   #11
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 03:53
Local Date: November 3, 2010
I wonder if anyone was ever dedicated enough to viciously defend their barb farm (as such things are known) or to block it off completely with defenders?

Then we could rename this thread - 'the Big Barb Hunting Season''

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!
Old January 12, 2004, 11:17   #12
Cookie Monster
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Tattila the Hun
Chopham?
I believe that would be chobham.
Old January 12, 2004, 12:23   #13
gunkulator
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by MrWhereItsAt
I wonder if anyone was ever dedicated enough to viciously defend their barb farm (as such things are known) or to block it off completely with defenders?

Then we could rename this thread - 'the Big Barb Hunting Season''
That used to be a common CivII tactic: Find a city taken over by barbs (or give them one) and use a diplomat to bribe the units it produces. For the cost of a cheap bribe, you got a reasonably up-to-date unit that required no support.

The closest I've come to that in Conquests is to play the Mayans and plant a couple Javelin Throwers outside of a barb camp. As the warriors come out, attack with the J-Ts. If you win, there's a 1/3 chance of getting a no-support barb worker!

edit: oops, Mayan Javelin Throwers, not Jaguar Warriors.

Last edited by gunkulator; January 12, 2004 at 17:29.
Old January 12, 2004, 16:26   #14
steven8r
Prince

Local Time: 09:53
Yes, I've mined Barbs w/ the Mayan Javelin Throwers. I've even used various defenders to block AI's from comming in and 'Russleing' MY Barbs!

Steven