Old January 9, 2004, 18:20   #1
steven8r
Prince

Local Time: 09:54
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Tribute to Civ in a movie
I just saw a preview for the movie, "Troy."

In the scene where the Greek ships are sailing to Troy, there's one with a sail that has the same design as the Galley in Civ3x. You know the mirror-image 'C' w/ a line through it.

I looked at it, and whispered to my friend, "look, a Civ Galley." (even though it was probably more-likely a trireme.)

Perhaps this is an actual historic design, (and therefore would naturally be in the movie), but I just thought it was cool and wanted to share that with everyone here.

Steven

Last edited by steven8r; January 9, 2004 at 19:10.
Old January 9, 2004, 19:15   #2
Alex
Emperor

Local Time: 12:54
Old January 11, 2004, 08:50   #3
Tattila the Hun
King

Local Time: 18:54
Civ not readily available, and memory as bad as a.... whatchacallit, does someone happen to have a picture of civ3 trireme?
Old January 11, 2004, 10:44   #4
Shogun Gunner
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization III Democracy GameCall to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power MultiplayerC3CDG Team BabylonPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG Sarantium
Emperor

Local Time: 11:54
I saw the preview for Troy when going to see The Last Samauri. That Troy movie looks like it might be awesome.

In the TLS, there's a scene where samauris and horseman attack rifleman backed up with cannon. As the cannon fired into the charging ranks, i whispered to my wife "zero range bombardment! and "They have no chance killing riflemen on a hill"

She told me to shut up.
Old January 11, 2004, 12:53   #5
Rasputin
lifer
DiploGamesThe Courts of Candle'Bre
Deity

Local Time: 01:54
Local Date: November 3, 2010
were they vet or reg riflemen on that hill ?? also they would have to worry a bit about the random number generator picking a bad number and losing the hill easily....
GM of MAFIA #40 ,#41, #43, #45,#47,#49-#51,#53-#58,#61,#68,#70, #71
Old January 11, 2004, 14:20   #6
Catt
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton University
King

Local Time: 08:54
Quote:
Originally posted by Shogun Gunner
In the TLS, there's a scene where samauris and horseman attack rifleman backed up with cannon. As the cannon fired into the charging ranks, i whispered to my wife "zero range bombardment! and "They have no chance killing riflemen on a hill"

Quote:
She told me to shut up.

Catt
Old January 11, 2004, 15:12   #7
asleepathewheel
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Local Time: 10:54

(I still need to see that movie)
Old January 12, 2004, 02:30   #8
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 03:54
Just had a scan through the default avatars here - one is a Civ3 Galley and I don't see any reverse C symbol. Can someone please post an image of this?

The Last Samurai was FILMED in NZ and it hasn't reached us yet...

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!
Old January 12, 2004, 11:05   #9
steven8r
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Shogun Gunner

She told me to shut up.
Yeah, after I saw that movie, I started-up C3C as Japan. Unfortunately, that scene is descriptive of my current game. However, my Samurai are faring better than those in the movie--I weakened the Riflemen w/ Trebuchets.

Steven
Old January 12, 2004, 11:07   #10
steven8r
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Rasputin
were they vet or reg riflemen on that hill ?? also they would have to worry a bit about the random number generator picking a bad number and losing the hill easily....
In the first encounter between Samurai and Riflemen (in the movie) the Riflemen must've been Conscripts. Even though they were in a forrest, that extra 25% Defensive Bonus didn't help vs Veteran and Elite Samurai.

In the scene that Shogun Gunner describes, I think the Riflemen were at least 'Regular'--posibly 'Veteran' and they had more units than the Samurai.

Steven
Old January 12, 2004, 12:03   #11
steven8r
Prince

Civ3 Galley Sail
Quote:
Orriginally posted by MrWhereItsAt Just had a scan through the default avatars here - one is a Civ3 Galley and I don't see any reverse C symbol. Can someone please post an image of this?
Yeah, the available avatar for the Galley just has vertical stripes. This is not the image in the game.

Perhaps my description of the Sail on the Galley unit in Civ3x was incorrect. I had described it as a mirror-image 'C' with a line through it. Perhaps a better description would be a rounded 'H'. Or maybe a rounded 'X' with a line through it.

Even better, here's the Civilopedia image:

Hope this helps.

Anyway, if anyone else sees the trailer for the movie Troy it's in there. (Although in the movie it looks more like a Russian Galley--I think it was brown in color) Just goes to show the power of early Embasies and alliances!

Quote:
Orriginally posted by MrWIA
The Last Samurai was FILMED in NZ and it hasn't reached us yet...
Bummer. Hopefully The Lord of the Rings trillogy has already come-out there.

Steven

Last edited by steven8r; January 12, 2004 at 12:19.
Old January 12, 2004, 20:01   #12
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 03:54
Don't worry steven8r - the world premiere of RotK was in Wellignton, and that movie opened to the public before most other countries at least.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!