Old January 9, 2004, 19:23   #1
steven8r
Prince

Local Time: 09:54
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Armies--Regular, Veteran
I've noticed that if you create an Army using a MGL, the Army has the 'Regular' Status, even when built in a city with a Barracks. However, Armies that are built from the Military Academy have the 'Veteran' status. (Don't know if this is affected by having a Barracks or not. I've never built the MilAcdmy in a city w/o Barracks--any city that had enough production to build MilAcd had already built a Barracks.)

Since the hp's come from the units loaded within, not from the Army itself, is there really any diference between Regular and Veteran Armies?

I don't guess there's such things as 'Conscript' Armies, and I don't think that 'Elite' Armies are possible, however it can be populated w/ Elite units.

Is this how it is? Theseus nee ropdos..... anyone please feel free to chime in.

Thanks.

Steven

Last edited by steven8r; January 9, 2004 at 19:34.
Old January 9, 2004, 20:09   #2
Theseus
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Local Time: 11:54
Location: The warmonger formerly known as rpodos. Gathering Storm!
I believe so, yes. And the 'experience' of an Army plays no role. Soren answered this question in a chat once, I think.
The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.
Old January 10, 2004, 03:31   #3
Sartek
Settler

Local Time: 07:54
then what is the point of armies w/ exp?
Old January 10, 2004, 12:33   #4
Jaybe
Mac
Emperor

Local Time: 08:54
No point, Sartek, but the game considers a military unit (army) built in a city with barracks a veteran. They did not make a special exception for the army.
I play BtS (3.19) -- Noble or Prince, Rome, marathon speed, huge hemispheres (2 of them), aggressive AI, no tech brokering. I enjoy the Hephmod Beyond mod. For all non-civ computer uses, including internet, I use a Mac.
Old January 11, 2004, 10:46   #5
Shogun Gunner
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization III Democracy GameCall to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power MultiplayerC3CDG Team BabylonPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG Sarantium
Emperor

True, because the individual units in the army combined give the army it's strenght level.
Old January 11, 2004, 12:50   #6
Rasputin
lifer
DiploGamesThe Courts of Candle'Bre
Deity

Local Time: 01:54
Local Date: November 3, 2010
just par tof game atmosphere.....
GM of MAFIA #40 ,#41, #43, #45,#47,#49-#51,#53-#58,#61,#68,#70, #71
Old January 12, 2004, 01:42   #7
Risa
Apolyton University
Warlord

Local Time: 23:54
Doesn't it affect the chance of retreat?
Old January 12, 2004, 02:09   #8
Sarxis
Rise of Nations MultiplayerAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
Emperor

Do Armies retreat?
Old January 12, 2004, 02:38   #9
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 03:54
Interesting question - has anyone ever had an army of units that can retreat, has been attacked AND has lost enough to retreat?

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!
Old January 12, 2004, 02:45   #10
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Yes I have had armies of horses and armies of AC and after a battle or two they go on defense. They get attacked, but do not retreat and will get killed. So as near as I can figure out they will not retreat.
Old January 12, 2004, 03:58   #11
Risa
Apolyton University
Warlord

I've seen army retreats. At least when my crusader army attacking an infantry.
Old January 12, 2004, 04:03   #12
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Risa
I've seen army retreats. At least when my crusader army attacking an infantry.
Ah - that's not a retreat. You are seeing the army stop attacking when it loses a certain number of hp. A retreat is when the enemy attacks YOU, and once you lose down to 1hp, units with the retreat ability (eg Horsemen) have a chance to retreat from the attack to the next tile away from the attacker, if such a tile exists.

Old January 12, 2004, 04:20   #13
Risa
Apolyton University
Warlord

Huh?
Isn't that the same thing? When down to 1 hp, a unit with more movement than 1 will have a chance to disengage from combat, that is retreat.
Old January 12, 2004, 08:09   #14
Admiral PJ
PtWDG Lux Invicta
Prince

Local Time: 15:54
In my 7 Ages of Man mod, I have made Leaders have combat values, and they gain Experience - although i've kept the offense and defense AI setting flags off, as I don't know if the AI will know to use this as a leader otherwise.
They are powerful in millitary terms, as they can lead effectively their own millitary units etc, as well as personal combat abilities.

Armies in Conqests at least cannot have attack /defense ability set, so Experience would appear to be useless.

Artillery units also have experience values, but I think this gives them better bombardment effectiveness.. is this true? They only gain experience if lethal bombard is set and destroy a unit.
Old January 12, 2004, 08:13   #15
Admiral PJ
PtWDG Lux Invicta
Prince

Risa appears correct, A unit is retreating if it fails an attack and only has 1hp, as well as when a defending unit retreats if its damaged. Its technically a Tactical Withdrawal , where the attacking cavalry manage to withdraw or retreat after a charge, but lose a lot of HP or horses in the skirmish cavalry attack and withdrawal.

Live long and prosper Risa (Risas a startrek planet isn't it ? )
Old January 12, 2004, 09:00   #16
MrWhereItsAt
Deity

But don't ALL armies have this ability, regardless of the unit in them? My armies stop frequently on attack if they start getting worn down. I can't remember if it's every time, but certainly enough that I can't think of an exception. Whenever I have lost an army it is due to my own stubborn stupidity - I attack several times with an army, sometimes after being repulsed by a particular defender.

If this is affected by retreat odds then I apologise - you'll be right about it being part of the retreat mechanism. As to whether vet status affects the chance to retreat for armies, this may need to be specially tested, as what is true for other armies can't really be assumed for armies by proxy.

Old January 12, 2004, 11:34   #17
steven8r
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Jaybe
No point, Sartek, but the game considers a military unit (army) built in a city with barracks a veteran. They did not make a special exception for the army.
If you take a MGL to a city w/ a Barracks and build an Armey, it will be 'Regular'--even with the Barracks.

The only way (that I've found) to get a Veteran Army is via Military Academy.

BTW: Has anyone ever had the Military Academy in a city w/o a Barracks. It'd be interesting to see if it's the Barracks or the MilAc that gives a 'built' Army the Veteran status.

Steven
Old January 12, 2004, 14:35   #18
vmxa1
Deity

I would say that you can count an attack as a retreat, if the attack stops and the unit you attack is not dead.
Normally an army will attack until it is dead or the unit it is attacking is dead. I have not seen any cases where my army attacked and stopped, while the unit was alive.

Since you are not going to attack a unit when your army is down to 1HP, you do not see alot of those opportunities. On defense you can see many cases where attackers keep attacking and drive your army to a small HP level. I have not seen any where the attackers stopped attacking and my army was at 1hp or any number of HP's. The attackers attack until either it is dead or the army is dead.

Now I am not saying it could not happen, but I have never seen it and I make armies with the first leader I get 95/100 times. IOW I have armies and use them in nearly every game.

So are you saying you saw an attack where both the attacker and the defender was alive at the end of the combat? Was the attacker a fast mover with retreat? If you saw it where the army did the attacking, that would be worthy of a save being posted.
Old January 12, 2004, 15:30   #19
steven8r
Prince

vmxa1,

In my most recent game, Emporer/Standard/Japan, I made several Armies. Several times during this game, my Army would stop an unsuccessful attack against a unit (if it still had at least 1 movement left). Both units (my Army and the Defender) were still alive at the end of the combat. These were Sword Armies vs Rifle or Infantry.

However, if the defender gets down to 1 hp, the attacker WILL NOT retreat! The retreat seems only to happen if the defender looks 'too powerful'.

Steven
Old January 12, 2004, 20:08   #20
vmxa1
Deity

I will have to watch carefully to see. I have not used a sword army to go after infantry. I would expect that to be hard road. At that stage I would using a sword army in a pacify or defense role.
Old January 12, 2004, 20:58   #21
Theseus
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Location: The warmonger formerly known as rpodos. Gathering Storm!
Fastmover Armies will retreat upon reaching 1hp when on attack. They will not retreat if the defender, however, is also at 1 hp (like all fastmovers).

Fastmover Armies on defense will not retreat if fortified, but will if unfortified. Not sure about when on the 'y' command, whatever it's called.

I do not know what slowmover Armies, now in C3C themselves fastmovers, will do.

Steven8r, that is one of the many reasons to build mixed unit Armies. Wouldn't you have much rather had a Longbow, Rifle, Guerilla, or Infantry added to a 2xSword Army?
The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.
Old January 13, 2004, 10:58   #22
steven8r
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Theseus
Steven8r, that is one of the many reasons to build mixed unit Armies. Wouldn't you have much rather had a Longbow, Rifle, Guerilla, or Infantry added to a 2xSword Army?
Perhaps I should've put some unit w/ defense or 0-range bombard. In that game I never built any Longbows--only Samurai. So I guess it was a 2x Sword, 2x Samurai Army. Then my later Armies were 4x Samurai--those are pretty powerful.

Quote:
Originally posted by vmxa1 I will have to watch carefully to see. I have not used a sword army to go after infantry. I would expect that to be hard road. At that stage I would using a sword army in a pacify or defense role.
Unfortunately I was using my Sword Army on a Defensive roll--I was defending my territory from an Evil Aztec Invasion. They had Cavalry, (I had no Horses or Saltpeter) I had just recently gotten Infantry and and was able to upgrade my Treb. to Arty. I was using Samurai and my Sword Armies to attack. I was able to push-back those pesky Aztec invaders, but I wasn't taking any of their territory--so no 'Resistance Quelling' for me. I finally got Peace when I saw the first Aztec Tank (which (after it was weakened a little) was later killed by that same Sword Army).

Even Sword Armys remain useful for a long time.

Steven
Old January 14, 2004, 08:02   #23
Aqualung71
PtWDG Gathering StormCivilization III PBEMCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityIron CiversC3CDG Desolation Row
Emperor

Local Time: 01:54
Possible answer to the original question.....perhaps a "regular" army is one which can only include 3 units, while a "veteran" army is a maximum 4-unit army available after the Pentagon is built? Just a guess....but I suppose it can only be valid if all your armies automatically become veteran after you build the Pentagon.
Old January 14, 2004, 13:18   #24
vmxa1
Deity

The real question to me is why do we have to try to figure these types of things out? That should have been documented. Yes it may not affect the game play, but many civers want to know this stuff.
Old January 14, 2004, 13:20   #25
steven8r
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Thriller
Possible answer to the original question.....perhaps a "regular" army is one which can only include 3 units, while a "veteran" army is a maximum 4-unit army available after the Pentagon is built? Just a guess....but I suppose it can only be valid if all your armies automatically become veteran after you build the Pentagon.
Good guess, but inaccurate. Even after I built the Pentagon, any Army created by a MGL has the 'Regular' status.

I guess it's just a way to tell the difference between a 'Battle-Created' Army and a 'Built' Army.

Steven
Old January 14, 2004, 13:27   #26
steven8r
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by vmxa1
The real question to me is why do we have to try to figure these types of things out? That should have been documented. Yes it may not affect the game play, but many civers want to know this stuff.
==> Documentation in Civ?!?! ROFLMAO

Fortunately there's 'Poly

Steven

Last edited by steven8r; January 14, 2004 at 16:45.
Old January 14, 2004, 16:33   #27
Kuciwalker
Deity

I've also noticed that if a unit in a "Regular" army is promoted, so is the army.
Old January 14, 2004, 16:43   #28
steven8r
Prince

I haven't noticed this, but then again, all my recent test Armies are currently all populated w/ Elites so no promotions for them.

Steven
Old January 14, 2004, 23:27   #29
Risa
Apolyton University
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by skywalker
I've also noticed that if a unit in a "Regular" army is promoted, so is the army.
I wish it were true to me.
I've never got armies promoted in C3C.
Old January 16, 2004, 04:59   #30
binyo66
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG2 Monkey
Chieftain

I have experience:

If I put 4 unit MA Elite in the Army, then it would be vet. If I put 4 unit tanks elite in the Army, I think at that time I got reg. So, most likely it is depends on total HP of all unit (IMO), and I never have army retreat.