Old January 12, 2004, 14:59   #31
Space05us
King

Local Time: 03:54
Local Date: November 3, 2010
Old January 12, 2004, 15:14   #32
Jon Miller
staff
ApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization II MultiplayerRise of Nations MultiplayerPtWDG Vox ControliC4DG Vox
OTF Moderator

Local Time: 09:54
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Standup
I started playing around 1979 with the blue Basic D+D book but i haven't played much over the last few years.

Essentially you need a group of people - we had around 15 but people would drift in and out and a lot of spare time was needed. The best bit i found was not the actual combat but the roleplaying of your character. For this you want interesting people (does that sound harsh ?) The run around killing things and getting powerful wanes after a while.

You can do it all with a bit of imagination and some paper to keep stats on but i think most people ended up using miniature figures, floorplans, maps etc

There use to be Basic D+D, Expert D+D and Advance but i don't know if that;s still the case. If you want to play then you'll probably want the Player's Handbook, Dungeon Master's Guide and the Monster Manual as a starting point (well it was circa 1985).

I too prefer the PC version now mainly because i don't have the time to play a proper campaign, the save function makes it easy to pick up where you let off and at the local D+D club everyone was half my age !! The only downside to PC version is that the ability to actually role play is very limited.
yah

combat is 90% of the time uninteresting in PnP

but the roleplaying is much better (which the computer games are not very good at)

Jon Miller
Old January 12, 2004, 15:21   #33
Jon Miller
staff
ApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization II MultiplayerRise of Nations MultiplayerPtWDG Vox ControliC4DG Vox
OTF Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by DarkCloud

--
and if all else fails, you can try internet D&D, they had an OffTopic game running a few months back

--
yah

unfortunately everyone disappeared right when we watned a GM

and we went from too many interested parties, to not enough active players

that and I am not the best GM

Snowfire's group did a lot better, and just ended recently because he got busy with work

Jon Miller
Old January 12, 2004, 16:43   #34
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Urban Ranger

As LDiCesare said, most systems that came out after AD&D are better designed. Even Warhammer Fantasy is.
I didn't think Warhammer Fantasy was based on D&D, I thought they were both developed at around the same time. Gameplay and stats are handled quite differently. As is character progression.
Old January 12, 2004, 17:26   #35
DarkCloud
staff
NationStatesAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 15:54
D&D was the first, Ghengis... everything came after D&D..
Old January 12, 2004, 18:39   #36
Jon Miller
staff
OTF Moderator

nah

there were Avalon Hill RPGs before that (they were half strategy games and half RPGs initially)

Jon Miller
Old January 12, 2004, 22:52   #37
Jac de Molay
Prince

Questions, Questions...
I played D+D fanatically from seventh grade to senior year high school (1983-88 or so). Also played Star Frontiers, Traveler, Tunnels and Trolls, and some the Dragon magazine games like Monsters of the Midway.

Has anyone looked over the newer versions of the PH and DM's Guide? I see them in the bookstore, but keep forgetting to look them over. Also, do they still make the Deities and Demigods book? I lost track after Monster manual II came out

The original DM's guide was always excellent reading, even if you were'nt a DM, and just chock full of stuff. I was hoping the new Players Handbooks included some of the sub-classes from the old Dragon Magazine, like the barbarian, and sub-races like the half-ogre.

I also hear some of the old tournament modules ( the Slave Pit series, Tomb of Horrors, and Queen of the Demonweb Pits) are pretty hefty collectors items now.
"Perhaps a new spirit is rising among us. If it is, let us trace its movements and pray that our own inner being may be sensitive to its guidance, for we are deeply in need of a new way beyond the darkness that seems so close around us." --MLK Jr.
Old January 12, 2004, 23:13   #38
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 23:54
Quote:
Originally posted by Jon Miller
yah

combat is 90% of the time uninteresting in PnP

but the roleplaying is much better (which the computer games are not very good at)
Not when your character is within a centimeter of his life.
Old January 13, 2004, 00:41   #39
Jon Miller
staff
OTF Moderator

barbarrian is now a standard class

Deities and Demigods is out

don't remember about half-orge (Half-Orc is a standard race)

Jon Miller
Old January 13, 2004, 00:42   #40
Jon Miller
staff
OTF Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Urban Ranger

Not when your character is within a centimeter of his life.
the procedure is not very interesting though

but yah, I suppose that at that time it might be interesting

not always though

Jon Miller
Old January 13, 2004, 03:29   #41
Urban Ranger
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Jon Miller
Is the Lovecraftian mythos included?
Old January 13, 2004, 09:49   #42
Jon Miller
staff
OTF Moderator

it doesn't look like it

with a casual glance

Jon Miller
Old January 13, 2004, 10:12   #43
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

I wonder if we could come up with a way to play a pen and paper D&D game in this forum.
Old January 13, 2004, 12:47   #44
DarkCloud
staff
NationStatesAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame

Quote:
\They're still around, one of my friends owns the 3rd edition book

I remember that they wanted us to go Epic and fight the Gods at one point

but I silenced them all with a Heckatanchari

and you can always create your own half-ogre.

yes- the 1/2 orc is still a standard race.
Old January 13, 2004, 18:11   #45
Jamski
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

Quote:
I wonder if we could come up with a way to play a pen and paper D&D game in this forum.
We'd have to play AD&D, not 3rdED. Less stats, less dice rolls, more roleplay needed.

-Jam
Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.
Old January 13, 2004, 18:34   #46
General Ludd
NationStates
Emperor

There's been a couple of D&D games played on Apolyton, I think.

Do It Ourselves
Old January 13, 2004, 19:01   #47
Jamski
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

I think they were organised on Apolyton, but played by e-mail.

-Jam
Old January 13, 2004, 20:09   #48
Japher
Emperor

Quote:
3. You can't play single player, and usually you would want at least 3 players. 1 "dungeon master", an 2 "adventurers"
I have been heavily involved in my own single player game for over a year now. Unfortuanetly, my DM sucks!!!

I miss D&D, it was more of just a reason to hang out with friends than to actually play, gave us something to talk about.
Old January 13, 2004, 20:27   #49
Jon Miller
staff
OTF Moderator

the one that worked was

Jon Miller
Old January 13, 2004, 20:38   #50
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Jamski

We'd have to play AD&D, not 3rdED. Less stats, less dice rolls, more roleplay needed.

-Jam
Whose to say we couldn't simplify the stats even more sort of make our own game set like Apolyton Death & Dismemberment (AD&D)?

I wonder if we use the profile stats in someway.....
Old January 13, 2004, 23:56   #51
DarkCloud
staff

Quote:
For character stats

you do know they were originally based on D&D.
Old January 14, 2004, 02:02   #52
Urban Ranger
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by GhengisFarb
Yes, brilliant idea
Old January 14, 2004, 04:03   #53
Jamski
Deity

Quote:
Whose to say we couldn't simplify the stats even more sort of make our own game set like Apolyton Death & Dismemberment (AD&D)?
Yes... another forum game idea that I was pondering last night...
It needs to be easy to remember, with plenty of options, simple stats and no dice rolling to work... I need a few hours, but I'm sure I could make a nice stat-based no-dice turnbased system.

-Jam
Old January 14, 2004, 23:48   #54
DarkCloud
staff

Good luck!
Old January 15, 2004, 15:38   #55
Jac de Molay
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Jamski
It needs to be easy to remember, with plenty of options, simple stats and no dice rolling to work... I need a few hours, but I'm sure I could make a nice stat-based no-dice turnbased system.

-Jam
Perhaps a random number generator of sorts would be helpful for "dice rolling", posting some kind of link for results during combat sequences.

Keep us posted. I would like to hook up with a campaign as a paladin/crusader(named Jac de Molay, of course )
"Perhaps a new spirit is rising among us. If it is, let us trace its movements and pray that our own inner being may be sensitive to its guidance, for we are deeply in need of a new way beyond the darkness that seems so close around us." --MLK Jr.
Old January 15, 2004, 15:43   #56
Jac de Molay
Prince

edit for brainfart DP
Old January 15, 2004, 17:33   #57
Jamski
Deity

That's a really useful site. I just bookmarked it and put it in my "special" folder.

-Jam