Old January 9, 2004, 21:09   #1
Maniac
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyPolyCast TeamACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 17:54
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Assimilation of PEACE members
So far no pirate has openly shown an interest in joining the Consciousness after their faction would be defeated. And IMHO it's important to know for our position in the defeated-members debate how many pirates would be interest, if any would want to join us at all that is (which can be heavily doubted ).
So how about we send a PM to the active pirates somewhere in the future - perhaps after we have captured some more bases next year and they've seen the full extent of our military power - and ask about their intentions?
Something like this?

Hi XXX,

Lately there have been discussions regarding what should happen with members of a defeated faction. More specifically we of the Consciousness started that discussion as we felt there is a chance we might defeat PEACE.

No pirate has yet openly expressed any interest though in joining another specific faction, which is of course only normal. However we of the Consciousness were wondering if there was any interest in PEACE for joining the Consciousness if we would be victorious. Are you, and perhaps other pirates, open to that possibility? You would be welcomed with open arms as an equal member.

Personally I feel joining us if you would be defeated would be the best option for you, because you'll join a faction that would resemble PEACE very much, with the only big and very unfortunate difference our lack to harvest aquatic minerals. However on the other side you'd have the same bases and technologies as PEACE had , and to an extent even the same allies and rivals. Since we have the Maritime Control Centre, we would also attempt to be the world's finest naval power. That way you could continue to sail ships where as all the other factions are land centric.

If the majority of PEACE would join the Consciousness, you would also be able to continue playing with the same group you have gotten to know over the past few months. In short, it would provide the greatest continuity for you. That continuity would not exist if you all splintered up and went to completely different factions such as the Hive or Drones, in which you would be a lonely stranger in the midst of a group already knowing each other and exchanging tactics since months.

Anyway, I hope you will consider our offer. I really believe it is the best option for both of us.

Friendly greetings,

Maniac

Last edited by Maniac; January 11, 2004 at 07:34.
Old January 9, 2004, 21:39   #2
Drogue
staff
Alpha Centauri PBEMNationStatesACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 SpartansACDG3 MorganACDG3 Data AngelsPolyCast TeamC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNsACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Apolyton Knight (Off-Topic Co-Moderator)

Local Time: 15:54
To be honest, I'm the other way. JDM I rule out, and will refuse under any circumstance to authorise him into the forum, should he ever want to join (I'm sorry, but I couldn't play in the same team as him). As for anyone else, a majority decision will decide, IMHO.

Herc I'd go for. Flubber doesn't seem to be active anymore. Icarus might be a nice addition. Anyone else?

"Hm. I suppose I should get my waffle a santa hat." - Kuciwalker
Old January 9, 2004, 21:46   #3
Maniac
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyPolyCast TeamACDG3 Spartans

FlameFlash, Makahlua and Hobbes? Don't know how active they are though.
Was Atlantian active as well?
Old January 9, 2004, 21:58   #4
Drogue
staff
Alpha Centauri PBEMNationStatesACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 SpartansACDG3 MorganACDG3 Data AngelsPolyCast TeamC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNsACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness

Ok, I'd have no objection to those, I think. Should be good

Old January 10, 2004, 05:21   #5
Impaler[WrG]
Civilization IV CreatorsACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansAlpha Centauri PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 MorganPolyCast Team
King

Local Time: 08:54
Also might want to add some stuff about how we would not ostrasize them or anything like that, make them elagable for any kind of position (maybe make some new positions too like "Grand Admiral Function" as we will have more players to fill said positions). And that we intend to be the primary Navel power on the planet now so they can continue to sail ships ware as all the other factions are land centric.

I personaly have no objections to any of the Pirates, I am wondering if we should state our objections to this one guy who Drogue cant play with now or later. Perhaps we simply should not send him an e-mail.

As for activity I suspect Atlantian was inactive a ways back but has reserntly returned based on a response to one of his posts made by Herc. Maka and Icarus look active, Hobbes and Flubber are involved in normal Multiplayer games so their atleast not totaly gone. At anyrate their activity levels are mostly guesswork at this point because their posts are hidden and they could be like Laurentius and use lots of Chat to comunicate their input.
Companions the creator seeks, not corpses, not herds and believers. Fellow creators, the creator seeks - those who write new values on new tablets. Companions the creator seeks, and fellow harvesters; for everything about him is ripe for the harvest. - Thus spoke Zarathustra, Fredrick Nietzsche
Old January 10, 2004, 09:32   #6
Maniac

Quote:
Originally posted by Impaler[WrG]
Also might want to add some stuff about how we would not ostrasize them or anything like that, make them elagable for any kind of position (maybe make some new positions too like "Grand Admiral Function" as we will have more players to fill said positions). And that we intend to be the primary Navel power on the planet now so they can continue to sail ships ware as all the other factions are land centric.
As I don't even know the meaning of the word "ostrasize" and thus wouldn't know what the heck I'm writing, could you please make the necessary changes to the PM above?
Old January 10, 2004, 09:41   #7
DeathByTheSword
ACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 Spartans
King

ostrasize = vervreemden... (niet met ze omgaan en zo...maar je omarmen als gewone lui)
'Space05us is just a stupid nice guy' - Space05us
Old January 10, 2004, 10:07   #8
Impaler[WrG]
Civilization IV CreatorsACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansAlpha Centauri PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 MorganPolyCast Team
King

Local Time: 08:54
Pahria, outcast, shunned, leftout, neglected, ignored ect ect...
Companions the creator seeks, not corpses, not herds and believers. Fellow creators, the creator seeks - those who write new values on new tablets. Companions the creator seeks, and fellow harvesters; for everything about him is ripe for the harvest. - Thus spoke Zarathustra, Fredrick Nietzsche
Old January 11, 2004, 07:36   #9
Maniac

PM proposal edited.
If it's ok, I'll send it to Hercules, Flubber, foolish_icarus, FlameFlash, Makahlua, Hobbes and Atlantian.
Old January 11, 2004, 10:12   #10
Drogue
staff

I would wait. If we send that, it's saying that we've won. We haven't yet. A turn takes almost a week, and so it will likely be a couple of months before we beat them totally. Wait until we're a lot closer before sending. You know how Herc reacted to us assuming we'd won before, so I'd hold your horses at the moment.

Last edited by Drogue; January 21, 2004 at 09:26.
Old January 11, 2004, 13:47   #11
Maniac

True, but I was thinking that once PEACE realizes they have no more chance for survival and if by some miracle we can get a majority of PEACE to agree to join us, we could perhaps work out some arrangement where they transfer all their remaining crawler, formers etc... over to CyCon control, so all that nice equipment isn't lost.

Also, if - after we hopefully capture Casablanca and Sealurk Channel next turn - they still don't realize they don't stand a chance anymore and refuse to consider what faction they will join next, they won't ever IMHO.
Old January 11, 2004, 15:13   #12
Drogue
staff

Hmmm, I'd wait until we have captured Liar's Lair. That will be the last of their major bases, and so in RP terms we will have captured their government, and it will show that they have no chance left. Wait until we have taken that, in 2154, and then send the PMs. It will still be a long time until they join us, but not as long.

Old January 12, 2004, 03:54   #13
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 03:54
Local Date: November 3, 2010
For what it's worth, I would fell happy with this PM sent to those people, in line with Drogue's timing.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!
Old January 23, 2004, 05:40   #14
Drogue
staff

Has anyone seen the PM I drafted to foolish_icarus, regarding the surrender? We need to offer it now, since it was talked about in 3D. If not, I can try to draft something later.

Old January 23, 2004, 09:19   #15
Maniac

Quote:
Originally posted by Drogue
Has anyone seen the PM I drafted to foolish_icarus, regarding the surrender?
Nope.

Quote:
We need to offer it now, since it was talked about in 3D. If not, I can try to draft something later.
Should we send the PM as in the first post of this thread, or another?
Old January 23, 2004, 09:40   #16
Drogue
staff

Another. We need to add bits about the surrender. I wrote one a while ago to send to foolish, I remember people responding, but I thought it was in this thread and it wasn't. Where we proposed their surrender, and them handing us their bases and joining us en masse.

Old January 24, 2004, 11:37   #17
Maniac

Hmm, IMHO we shouldn't talk immediately about surrendering units and bases if we don't even know if they are überhaupt interested in joining us. How about we wait until a few pirates have replied to our first PM?

Anyway, it's about time we send a message, as our next turn is approaching, the year we agreed to send the message. Unless you or anyone else come up with concrete proposals for changes, can I send the PM tonight or tomorrow to Hercules, Flubber, foolish_icarus, FlameFlash, Makahlua, Hobbes, Atlantian and Gert?
Old January 25, 2004, 19:21   #18
Maniac

Okay, I just sent the PM. First reply is from H0bbes:

Quote:
No thanks.

Hobbes
Btw, if no one or only a small minority wants to join us, should we destroy PEACE if that would mean pirates can join any other faction? Under such circumstances, wouldn't it be better to leave them with one base which we keep attacking every time they build a defender? That way they're also effectively out of the game, even if a majority of ACDGers would (pointlessly) decide that defeated faction members can join any other faction.
Old January 26, 2004, 06:29   #19
Drogue
staff

I thought about that. Seems like a good idea, but they could decide to self-destruct their base, with no defender, saying we could capture it. But yes, I see no reason not to leave them their last base. Even leave it with a defender in it. We could use probes to steal anything we want from them, or destroy their production at times. If it get's too troublesome, take them out.

Did you mention the surrender? Or did you send the PM as above?

Old January 26, 2004, 11:08   #20
Maniac

Quote:
I thought about that. Seems like a good idea, but they could decide to self-destruct their base, with no defender, saying we could capture it.
Then we just say we had no intention to capture the base. And since they suicided, they have no right IMHO to claim they're still alive to join another faction.

Quote:
Did you mention the surrender? Or did you send the PM as above?
The PM as above, as no concrete message addendi were proposed.

PMs I got from Hobbes, icarus and Gert:

Hobbes:
[quote]I'm not terribly interested in the ACDG, BUT wouldn't join a conquoring faction anyway- seems odd that you'd expect a defeated player to whole-heardedly participate in furthering the ambitions of the agressors.

Hobbes

Quote:
Hi H0bbes,

May I ask, do you say no simply because you are not really interested anymore in the ACDG, or is it because you hate our guts?

Friendly greetings,

Maniac
foolish_icarus:
Quote:
The captains will discuss this. I'd thank you for extending the offer if, well, you weren't conquering us . More later.
Gert:
Quote:
Hello Maniac,

When (and if) the time of a defeat comes, I will give your offer serious consideration. It is an interesting possibility, but I feel now is not the time to discuss it.

We will fight ye until ye wreck the last of our ships. Our freedom is yet a cause worth fighting for! And besides, the pay is good

Gert
So it seems they wouldn't consider to surrender and transfer eg their crawlers over to our control. We'll probably have to eliminate all their useful units (crawlers, formers, sea formers...) in other words.

More comments tomorrow afternoon hopefully. I'm terribly busy right now.
Old January 26, 2004, 15:53   #21
GeoModder
ACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG3 Data AngelsC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogC4WDG The Goonies
Deity

Too bad, seems we have to go for the 'base under siege' scenario then

SMAC(X) Marsscenario
Old January 26, 2004, 17:09   #22
Drogue
staff

You didn't offer a surrender then?

I will play the turn tomorrow, to allow for any eventualities or things that come up

Old January 26, 2004, 19:29   #23
Maniac

Quote:
You didn't offer a surrender then?
No, but I could reply to foolish_icarus like this:

Hi foolish_icarus,

Quote:
The captains will discuss this. I'd thank you for extending the offer if, well, you weren't conquering us . More later.
We would like to stop conquering you. Wouldn't it be better if, instead of fighting until we have destroyed every last unit and reduced PEACE to one base, if we joined forces now and PEACE transmitted all remaining units to the Consciousness, which we hope you will accept as your new home? That way we gain in strength and might still be able to form a fist against the Hive and Drones, who are currently running away with the game.

Friendly greetings,

Maniac
Old January 26, 2004, 21:26   #24
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 02:54
Local Date: November 3, 2010
Offering a surrender would be good. Their assets could be used by us to further our goals, rather than hindering us by forcing us to destroy them. It can't hurt to ask them.
Old January 28, 2004, 03:49   #25
Mart
Apolyton Storywriters' GuildAlpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 MorganACDG3 SpartansACDG3 GaiansACDG3 CMNsC4DG Team Alpha Centaurians
Emperor

Maybe the offer should be rather like unification offer, not surrender - they transfer their units, all PEACE territory gets annexed to CyCon. This way we get large power increase, and they do not feel like loosing much - just joining another faction. Their honor would be saved. If ofcourse current rules allow this.
Old January 28, 2004, 03:51   #26
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

Isn't a unification kind of like "Republic of the PEACEful CyCon", not "Just give everything you have to us "
Old January 28, 2004, 03:59   #27
Mart
Apolyton Storywriters' GuildAlpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 MorganACDG3 SpartansACDG3 GaiansACDG3 CMNsC4DG Team Alpha Centaurians
Emperor

They might assimilate if we both work on it..... If it is not worth of trying - then defeating them seems the only option. The risk is that if the current war gets stopped in order to give them time for thinking on unification then it may make further war more difficult when they reject the unification. Anyway, these are just some possibilities, and i only posted an idea, i have just joined the faction so i am not aware of all diplomacy and feelings among factions
Old January 28, 2004, 05:46   #28
DeathByTheSword
ACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 Spartans
King

well from a game-winning point of view...if PEACE members become cycon they will want to win with the cycon they would benifit from giving as much as they can before PEACE is wiped out...maybe we should send them such an offer?
Old January 28, 2004, 05:57   #29
Mart
Emperor

Actualy what Maniac proposed above is unification offer, am i right?
Old January 28, 2004, 06:03   #30
DeathByTheSword
King

oh...could be havent read it....give me a moment....ah yes you are right...wel then i agree with maniac it is worth a shot....but we must not let the pressure down on the PEACE....keep attackig and taking there bases