View Poll Results: Would you like an Apolyton Storywriters' Guild?
Yes! 34 80.95%
No! 5 11.90%
I would like an Apolyton Bananaeaters' Guild! 3 7.14%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Old January 11, 2004, 21:15   #1
vovan
Apolyton UniversityCivilization IV CreatorsSporeApolyton Storywriters' GuildC3CDG Blood Oath HordeC4DG The Horde
Emperor

Local Time: 10:00
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Petition: Storywriters of Apolyton civgroup

What We Would Like:

We would like to have a civgroup that could unite all of the writers of Apolyton, of which we have quite a few. We feel that now, when there's been a surge in activity in the stories forum, some sort of an acknowledgement should be in order. So, we would like to ask for the creation of: The Apolyton Storywriters' Guild.

Why We Would Like It:

Well, there are plenty of reasons we would like a civgroup of our own. First of all, we believe in the sense of community. We think that some sort of identification with story-writing (such as a civicon next to our names would provide) would serve well to keep our existing authors and readers coming back for more stories, and would attract new authors as well. And that brings me to the next reason.

We think that it would be good to get a little more publicity for the story-writing section of the site. We attempt to put up regular news items about story competitions and such, but often times the news are either not posted at all or are delayed greatly. Either way, they have proven to be quite ineffective so far. In an attempt to bring more readers over to the stories forums, we recently posted a promotion thread in a rather populated section of the site and that had quite a positive effect. We have plenty of great authors and quality stories, so the potential is great. It's just that often times we find that we, the authors, are the only ones to read each other's writing. Our experience with an "ad thread" in another forum showed that maybe people just don't know about us, and indeed, some of the people, that came by as a result of that thread, came to stay. However, we think that it might be inappropriate to post a thread somewhere whenever we want to boost traffic, and thus we believe that a civgroup of our own would go a long way promoting the stories forum. Whenever one of us posts somewhere, the icon next to his or her name would inevitably remind people of the story forum's existence, and since our interests are quite diverse, and, cumulatively, we participate in almost all of the forums on this site, we think that this would help us a great deal.

Finally, we would like the civgroup to serve as a sort of encouragement to write. We found that our writing alone often encourages people to create something themselves. In fact, that's how I, and countless others, have started to write: I came to the stories forum, read some things, and had a great urge to write something myself. In fact, we very often hear things like: "Your story inspired me to write something too!" That's all great, but there are also some people that aren't quite confident in their literary abilities and often abandon even attempts to write. However, numerous examples showed that even people, who might not have thought they had a writer in them, are often capable of creating absolutely amazing worlds in writing. We would like to encourage such "shy" people to write and think that a civgroup membership would help them feel the support of comunity and overcome the initial fear of literary expression: the fear that the story might be no good, the fear that people won't like it. It's quite a natural feeling, yet we feel we are there to not only write ourselves, but also to help others overcome that fear and realize their creative potential. Again, we think that a civgroup membership would help here.

EDIT: speeling.
Spore page

Last edited by vovan; January 12, 2004 at 12:31.
Old January 12, 2004, 04:50   #2
Paddy
Iron CiversApolyton Storywriters' GuildThe Courts of Candle'BreBtS Tri-LeagueC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC3CDG Blood Oath HordeCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG The HordeC4WDG éirich tuireannApolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

Local Time: 01:00
Local Date: November 3, 2010
Well said Vovan.

There is a lot of interest in stories, and I know a few people that come to Apolyton to read the stories, as I did, while unable to play at work.

I would encourage you in your endeavors. I believe that some form of identification, some form of membership can only help people who like to write.

We are an active part of the community.
Old January 12, 2004, 05:44   #3
self biased
staff
Civilization IV PBEMCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolyton Storywriters' Guild
Civilization V News Editor

Local Time: 12:00
adds his name to the list... i've got a few in the works at the moment...
Old January 12, 2004, 06:30   #4
dialectic2003
C3CDG Blood Oath Horde
Chieftain

Local Time: 02:00
Hear hear, i second that notion

I am a recent convert to the Apolyton experience and can attest wholeheartedly that reading some of the writing here has spurred me on to doing some writing of my own.

The concern that perhaps others out there in the far reaches of netland wouldn't understand, wouldn't appreciate, or (almost worse) wouldn't even read, is real and discouraging. This would be alleviated by having our own civgroup. The interaction and possible collaboration could only serve to enhance our individual efforts; and I, for one, am sticking my hand in the air and saying 'HELL YES'!
Old January 12, 2004, 08:39   #5
Shogun Gunner
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization III Democracy GameCall to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power MultiplayerC3CDG Team BabylonPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG Sarantium
Emperor

I voted "yes", of course. This is a fine idea. I would like to add my name to this guild.

Thanks Paddy -- for the heads up on this thread.
Old January 12, 2004, 09:46   #6
Carolus Rex
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization II PBEM
Emperor

Local Time: 18:00
It is often said that the pen is mightier than the sword... If so gentlemen, I wish you good luck in your quest.

Carolus
Old January 12, 2004, 10:54   #7
DaShi
Emperor

Local Time: 16:00
Odd, this was songwriters the first time I read it.
Old January 12, 2004, 12:19   #8
Wittlich
lifer
Call to Power II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCivilization III PBEMPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameC3CDG EuphoricaIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG United Dungeon DwellersDiploGamesC4BtSDG TemplarsPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 09:00
Though I'm not much of a story writer myself, I have enjoyed the creative writings of other Apolytoners on more than one occasion. I concur that the writers should have their own "guild" to compare/refine/share their writings.

An excellent suggestion vovan!
Old January 12, 2004, 14:06   #9
ChrisiusMaximus
Civilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization III Democracy GameC3CDG Blood Oath HordeC4DG The HordeC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogCiv4 SP Democracy GameCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG éirich tuireann
Emperor

Local Time: 17:00
Obviously this idea gets my full backing thanks for putting this up Vovan

The range of talent to be found here is simply amazing. I myself would never have written a story had I not stumbled into the civ3 stories section and been so inspired, by the many great stories>

I can honestly say that Apolyton has changed my life, especially the stories section This is a great community and it should cherish all that is good about itself, so come give your support to the writers of Apolyton
A proud member of the "Apolyton Story Writers Guild".There are many great stories at the Civ 3 stories forum, do yourself a favour and visit the forum. Lose yourself in one of many epic tales and be inspired to write yourself, as I was.
Old January 12, 2004, 14:23   #10
Alex
Emperor

Local Time: 13:00
what kind of stories? i mean, would they be based on the games we play, like the civ3 stories, or could it be any work of fiction?
Old January 12, 2004, 14:39   #11
Don K Hotay
Warlord

Local Time: 11:00
Story inspirations that arise from civplay are essential to the community! I enjoy reading others creativity rather than expressing my own, which is enough for me to be pro-Guild.

Quixote
Old January 12, 2004, 14:57   #12
ChrisiusMaximus
Civilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization III Democracy GameC3CDG Blood Oath HordeC4DG The HordeC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogCiv4 SP Democracy GameCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG éirich tuireann
Emperor

@ Alex, as far as what kind of stories, I dont think it matters! Many people post stories that have no real bearing on civ3 in the civ3 stories forum.

All stories are welcome

I think a story has to be civ3 inspired to enter the contest we run but if more people posted different stories then I suppose things could be changed.

But any story is welcome and appreciated
A proud member of the "Apolyton Story Writers Guild".There are many great stories at the Civ 3 stories forum, do yourself a favour and visit the forum. Lose yourself in one of many epic tales and be inspired to write yourself, as I was.
Old January 12, 2004, 15:35   #13
Zord
Civilization III PBEMSpanish Civers
King

I'm not very good at writing stories... hell, I'm TERRIBLE at writing stories. But I enjoy a lot reading.
Old January 12, 2004, 15:41   #14
Chilean President™
Civilization III Democracy GameNationStatesSpanish CiversPtWDG2 Latin Lovers
Deity

I voted yes. Great idea.
Old January 12, 2004, 16:02   #15
Nikolai
Apolyton UniversityC4DG The Mercenary TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

Haven't we got enough civ groups already?
Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God. -Isaiah 41:10
The LORD your God is with you, he is mighty to save. He will take great delight in you, he will quiet you with his love, he will rejoice over you with singing. - Zephaniah 3:17
Get The List for cIV here!
Old January 12, 2004, 17:13   #16
Chilean President™
Civilization III Democracy GameNationStatesSpanish CiversPtWDG2 Latin Lovers
Deity

Never is enough
Old January 12, 2004, 17:57   #17
Mickeyj
Civilization III PBEMIron Civers
King

Definitly YES! I find a lot of authers put a lot of time and effort into their works and reading about other peoples exploits (fictional or not) is a welcome change to the game.
Old January 12, 2004, 20:44   #18
OzzyKP
staff
ApolyCon 06 ParticipantsDiploGamesPolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4DG The Mercenary TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame
ACS Staff Member

What do y'all think of this on going story?

http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...threadid=98046

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah
Old January 12, 2004, 23:39   #19
SKILORD
Never Ending StoriesCivilization III MultiplayerApolyton Storywriters' Guild
King

The Authors of this site are often plauged by a lack of feedback, that is probably the primary concern of many of us. Simply to see the civgroup symbol, and to feel the communion that perhaps is missed when you write a story and don't see any response. Perhaps to know that someone else out there knows, that they have likely read it, simply not, for some or another reason, responded. Merely to lie to yourself with this, to use it as an article of deception by which you may decieve yourself, might keep some alive and might keep the faith within them.

This is all we ask, that you lend us a brand by which we may mark ourselves, that in this burning embrace we might feel together, feel a sense of Union and confidence that many other groups have been granted.

God save Apolyton, God Save the Stories forums.

Vote
Old January 13, 2004, 00:20   #20
DarkCloud
staff
NationStatesAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame

Yes, please vote yes, and please read the stories in the stories forums!
Old January 13, 2004, 03:38   #21
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 00:00
Cloudy, are you a published writer?
Old January 13, 2004, 09:07   #22
Andydog
Civilization IV PBEMIron Civers
Emperor

I voted yes - anything where people are encouraged to share and receive feedback on their stories can only be a good thing. Certainly it would give Apolyton something that not many other Civ sites have - always good to differentiate your service!
Old January 13, 2004, 09:52   #23
MarkG
Apolytoners Hall of FameApolyCon 06 Participants
Apolyton CS Co-Founder

will i see more submissions in the Fiction part of the Directory?
http://apolyton.net/dir/index.php?t=sub_pages&cat=106
Old January 13, 2004, 10:13   #24
Paddy
Iron CiversApolyton Storywriters' GuildThe Courts of Candle'BreBtS Tri-LeagueC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC3CDG Blood Oath HordeCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG The HordeC4WDG éirich tuireannApolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

Local Time: 01:00
Quote:
Originally posted by MarkG
That is an interesting question, which in turn leads me to ask if you write as well?

Thanks for the link. *heads off for a look*
Old January 13, 2004, 11:56   #25
The Slayer
PtWDG2 Latin LoversC4WDG Spamyard TeamSpanish Civers
Emperor

I support this idea, I'm not a writer, but I'll want to read that good stuff you can write
Alexander the Great
Old January 13, 2004, 12:43   #26
DarkCloud
staff
NationStatesAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame

Quote:
Cloudy, are you a published writer?
well, my technical article should appear in Feb 2004... unless the magazine has gone out of business

so, yes, probably yes, I am published

-
Quote:
That would be good... I've been getting quite tired of writing reviews for stories for that section myself

And yes Markos, I'll get back to adding the contest 'winners' to the directory unless of course someone else would like to write the reviews- then all I have to do is approve them
Old January 14, 2004, 04:22   #27
ChrisiusMaximus
Emperor

Bump!

DarkCloud, I would ask Vovan to do reviews for the Directory if I were you. Reason why is IMHO he always gives very good constructive advice when posting feedback to stories, which is always polite and fair.

Im sure he would consider this

And I would be happy to have him review my latest story before it goes in the directory.

Any more folks going to vote on this ?
Old January 14, 2004, 08:40   #28
PLATO
Apolyton Storywriters' GuildGalCiv Apolyton EmpireCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameThe Courts of Candle'BreC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogC4DG The HordeC4WDG éirich tuireannC3CDG Blood Oath Horde
Emperor

An excellent idea!
Troll on dope is like a moose on the loose - Grandpa Troll
Old January 14, 2004, 16:17   #29
Bugs ****ing Bunny
Emperor

Aye. It might shake my out of my torpor long enough to write another.
Old January 14, 2004, 20:23   #30
ChrisiusMaximus
Emperor

It would be great to see you write again Laz