Old January 12, 2004, 03:22   #1
Risa
Apolyton University
Warlord

Local Time: 00:01
Local Date: November 3, 2010
Suggestion: Advanced Flight
Problem: Well, how long ago was last time you researched Advanced Flight yourself?

By the time you can reserch it, lots of good stuff are around the corner: modern armor, 3 techs away; TOW infantry, jet fighter and modern SAM, 1 tech away; the UN, 1 tech away; mech infantry, research lab and SETI, 1 tech away; Internet, 2 tech away. Sure, Advanced Flight also offers some nice toys, but they're just toys compared to those good stuff. Who want to drop defense 9 units (paratroopers) that can't take action until next turn deep into enemy's territory at the age of tank? That's suiciding. As for helicopters, if using it at front line, enemy's fighters will be really annoysome. When using it in your own land, why not use railroad and sea transport instead?

There're several ways to solve that problem:
a) Give Advanced Flight more candy. For example, move aircraft carrier from Mass Production to it. That make sense in realistic aspect, too, since it should be impossible to build aircraft carriers before knowing what an aircraft is. The drawback is, it may make carrier even less appealing.

b) Make it required tech for era advancing, rather than optional.

c) Remove some of its prerequisites. I've no idea which should be removed, though.

Last edited by Risa; January 12, 2004 at 03:32.
Old January 12, 2004, 03:40   #2
pauli
Prince

Local Time: 12:01
Local Date: November 2, 2010
i like the sound of b.
Old January 12, 2004, 08:44   #3
alexman
PtWDG Gathering StormCivilization IV CreatorsInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV PBEMApolyCon 06 Participants
Firaxis Games Software Engineer

Risa, you make a good point. Although I have not given much thought to it, making the tech optional sounds like a good idea to me too.

Another idea would be to move Jet Fighters to Advanced Flight from Rocketry. With the addition of TOW infantry and the Mobile SAM, Rocketry has become overloaded with units.
Old January 16, 2004, 14:26   #4
donZappo
Warlord

Local Time: 11:01
I like the sound of a or b, with my preference being a. Would it be possible to add this discussion to the "power of flight" thread or create an official thread for continued debate? This definitely seems like a topic worth further exploration.

-donZappo
Old January 16, 2004, 14:56   #5
alexman
PtWDG Gathering StormCivilization IV CreatorsInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV PBEMApolyCon 06 Participants
Firaxis Games Software Engineer

There is already a relevant thread: Balancing Airpower