View Poll Results: To which movies are you most looking forward?
Spider-Man 2 16 7.55%
Alien vs. Predator 10 4.72%
The Village 4 1.89%
Shrek 2 16 7.55%
Jersey Girl 2 0.94%
Troy 25 11.79%
Kill Bill Vol. 2 25 11.79%
The Incredibles 3 1.42%
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind 8 3.77%
The Ladykillers 6 2.83%
The Passion of Christ 13 6.13%
Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkabann 16 7.55%
Garfield 2 0.94%
Club Dread 0 0%
The Punisher 1 0.47%
The Day After Tomorrow 5 2.36%
J. M. Barrie's Neverland 5 2.36%
The Spongebob Squarepants Movie 1 0.47%
Alexander 25 11.79%
The Aviator 0 0%
Rocky VI 1 0.47%
The Brothers Grimm 11 5.19%
Osama 5 2.36%
The Return of the Revenge of the Son of the Banana, Part 2...(other) 12 5.66%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 212. You may not vote on this poll

Old January 12, 2004, 12:45   #1
The Emperor Fabulous
Civ4 SP Democracy Game
King

Local Time: 09:02
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Which 2004 Movies are you most looking forward to?
(Let's try this again...)

Two-double-oh-three was a great year for movies. I'm not sure 2004 will be as great, but there are certainly some notable releases coming. With Lord of the Rings and The Matrix finished, what movie will build a new franchise, or what franchises will become legendary?

Here's some info about the releases:

Spider-Man 2
Sequel to 2002's "Spider-Man". Stars Tobey McGuire, Kirsten Dunst, and features Doc Ock as the villain.

Alien vs. Predator
Combination of popular movie franchises Alien and Predator.

The Village
M. Night Shyamalan's new movie with Joquin Phoenix, about a Pennsylvania town of 60 surrounded by mythical people.

Shrek 2
Sequel to Mike Meyer's 2002 "Shrek". Animated feature about a storybook ogre.

Jersey Girl
Kevin Smith's new picture staring Ben Affleck and Liv Tyler about a man who must adapt to new wife and 6-year-old daughter. Also with Jennifer Lopez.

Troy
Blockbuster based on The Illiad, staring heavyweights Brad Pitt, Orlando Bloom, Eric Bana, and Brian Cox, directed by Wolfgang Peterson (Das Boot).

Kill Bill Vol. 2
Really the second part of one movie, the continuation of Kill Bill Vol. 1, this time with Samuel L. Jackson added to the mix.

The Incredibles
Animated feature by Pixar about a middle-aged Super Hero, voiced by Coach Craig T. Nelson.

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
This movie is what you get when you combine Jim Carrey, Kate Winslet, Elijah Wood, Kirten Dunst, Tom Wilkinson, director Michel Gondry, and screenwriter Charlie Kaufman (Being John Malkovich, Adaptation).

The Ladykillers
A new Coen Brother's picture, starring Tom Hanks who plays a Mark Twain-southern drawl-type leading a gang of hoodlums in a large crime.

The Passion of Christ
Mel Gibson's picture of the last 2 hours of J. H. C.'s life. In Aramaic and Latin, possibly with subtitles.

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkabann
Based on the 3rd Harry Potter novel.

Garfield
Live action adaptation of the world-wide comic star cat.

Club Dread
New Broken Lizard movie, the guys who wrote, directed, and starred in 2002's "Super Troopers".

The Punisher
Adaptation of the comic book of the same name.

The Day After Tomorrow
Huge multi-million dollar movie by the creators of Independence Day. The world is attacked not by aliens, but by the weather, like a second Great Deluge of biblical proportions.

J. M. Barrie's Neverland
Based on Barrie (played by Johnny Depp), the writer of Peter Pan.

The Spongebob Squarepants Movie
Hero of Nickelodeon's animated TV Series.

Alexander
Another Greek-era movie, this one based on Alexander the Great, starring Colin Farrell, Angelina Jolie, Anthony Hopkins, and Val Kilmer, and directed by master Oliver Stone.

The Aviator
Biopic of Howard Hughes, starring Alec Baldwin, Cate Blanchett and Leo D.

Rocky VI
The legendary boxer is lured out of retirement for one last fight (we hope.)

The Brothers Grimm
Dark fantasy by Terry Gilliam about the famous fable writers.

Osama
Based on a true story, a woman hides her daughter as a boy named Osama, attempting to give her a decent life while fearing the Taliban.

Others that come out are The Phantom of the Opera, Collateral (Tom Cruise), Van Helsing (Hugh Jackman), comic book adaptations Blade: Trinity, Ghost Rider, Catwoman, Hellboy and Constantine, sequels to Ocean's 11, The Mask, Resident Evil, Mission Impossible, Dirty Dancing, Starship Troopers, Dude Where's My Car?, and XXX, adaptations of The Polar Express, The A-Team, Alone in the Dark, and Starsky & Hutch, plus a host more.

I personally can't wait for Eternal Sunshine, Spider-Man 2, and The Ladykillers.
Old January 12, 2004, 12:51   #2
Guynemer
C4WDG The GooniesCiv4 SP Democracy GameBtS Tri-League
Emperor

Local Time: 12:02
You rat bastard. Now I have to cut and paste my reply in the other thread.
Old January 12, 2004, 12:53   #3
Guynemer
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by The Emperor Fabulous
Spider-Man 2
Sequel to 2002's "Spider-Man". Stars Tobey McGuire, Kirsten Dunst, and features Doc Ock as the villain.
Definitely. The original had a lot of heart (even if it did play on 9/11 emotions way too much) and humor, and was the best superhero movie ever made--with the exception of Unbreakable. (As a side note, a relatively-distant relative of my fiancee will be playing Doc Ock's wife.)

Quote:
Alien vs. Predator
Combination of popular movie franchises Alien and Predator.
Ummm... no. Destined to be utter crap.

Quote:
The Village
M. Night Shyamalan's new movie with Joquin Phoenix, about a Pennsylvania town of 60 surrounded by mythical people.
M. Night hasn't steered me wrong yet. Loved Sixth Sense, Unbreakable, and Signs--all movies that Hollywood plays up as big-concept sci-fi/fantasy type films, but in reality all very intimate films about family and faith.

Quote:
Shrek 2
Sequel to Mike Meyer's 2002 "Shrek". Animated feature about a storybook ogre.
The original was the best animated film ever. I am extremely nervous about a sequel... seems more likely that they'd screw up a good thing than manage to pull it off again.

Quote:
Jersey Girl
Kevin Smith's new picture staring Ben Affleck and Liv Tyler about a man who must adapt to new wife and 6-year-old daughter. Also with Jennifer Lopez.
Kevin Smith: good. Bennifer: ummm... not no much.

Quote:
Troy
Blockbuster based on The Illiad, staring heavyweights Brad Pitt, Orlando Bloom, Eric Bana, and Brian Cox, directed by Wolfgang Peterson (Das Boot).
Heavyweights? Being a little generous, aren't we, Emperor? Brad Pitt is a fine actor, but... anyway, I am a sucker for historical epics, so count me in.

Quote:
Kill Bill Vol. 2
Really the second part of one movie, the continuation of Kill Bill Vol. 1, this time with Samuel L. Jackson added to the mix.
Missed Vol. 1, really wanted to see it. Seems likely it'll be re-released in conjuction with Vol. 2, so I'll be all over this one. Quentin Tarantino, plus Uma Thurman, plus Sam Jackson? Yahtzee!

Quote:
The Incredibles
Animated feature by Pixar about a middle-aged Super Hero, voiced by Coach Craig T. Nelson.
Pixar can do no wrong, and the premise sounds very promising. This ought to be a mortal lock.

Quote:
This movie is what you get when you combine Jim Carrey, Kate Winslet, Elijah Wood, Kirten Dunst, Tom Wilkinson, director Michel Gondry, and screenwriter Charlie Kaufman (Being John Malkovich, Adaptation).
Quite a title, too. Interesting cast, great writer... I'm willing to give this the benefit of the doubt.

Quote:
The Ladykillers
A new Coen Brother's picture, starring Tom Hanks who plays a Mark Twain-southern drawl-type leading a gang of hoodlums in a large crime.
You had me at "Coen".

Quote:
The Passion of Christ
Mel Gibson's picture of the last 2 hours of J. H. C.'s life. In Aramaic and Latin, possibly with subtitles.
Not being a believer myself, I'm not really inclined to see this; however, may do so just for controversy's sake.

Quote:
Based on the 3rd Harry Potter novel.
I'm all over this like a Republican on a tax cut. My favorite book of the series; plus, there was a definite improvement in the second movie over the first. One can only hope that continues with the new director.

Quote:
Garfield
Live action adaptation of the world-wide comic star cat.
Not only no, but hell no.

Quote:
Club Dread
New Broken Lizard movie, the guys who wrote, directed, and starred in 2002's "Super Troopers".
Super Troopers was amusing, if a little too juvenile in parts. I'd have to hear more about this before making a decision.

Quote:
The Punisher
Adaptation of the comic book of the same name.
See A vs. P. This has "Daredevil" written all over it.

Quote:
The Day After Tomorrow
Huge multi-million dollar movie by the creators of Independence Day. The world is attacked not by aliens, but by the weather, like a second Great Deluge of biblical proportions.
Like Independence Day, it sounds entirely too goofy for it not to be enjoyable in some deep, dark, secret, reptilian-brain kinda way. My fiancee is a sucker for natural disaster stuff, so I'm sure I'll be seeing this one regardless.

Quote:
J. M. Barrie's Neverland
Based on Barrie (played by Johnny Depp), the writer of Peter Pan.
Can't go wrong with Johnny Depp, quite possibly the best American actor alive today.

Quote:
Hero of Nickelodeon's animated TV Series.
I love the little goober as much as the next guy, but a movie will be all-but-intolerable to everyone but the under-10 set.

Quote:
Alexander
Another Greek-era movie, this one based on Alexander the Great, starring Colin Farrell, Angelina Jolie, Anthony Hopkins, and Val Kilmer, and directed by master Oliver Stone.
As I said, a sucker for the historical epic. This cast seems more impressive to me than "Troy". Definitely on my hit list.

Quote:
The Aviator
Biopic of Howard Hughes, starring Alec Baldwin, Cate Blanchett and Leo D.
Alec Baldwin has been reborn by "The Cooler"; Cate Blanchett is amazing in anything she does; Leo DiCaprio makes me want to punch his lights out whenever I see him. Probably won't be seeing this, for the sake of my blood pressure alone.

Quote:
Rocky VI
The only way I'll see this is if a meteorite crashes into the set, annihilating everyone who thought this would be a good idea.

Quote:
The Brothers Grimm
Dark fantasy by Terry Gilliam about the famous fable writers.
Terry Gilliam has the most distinctive voice of any director working today. This ought to be a load of creepy fun.

Quote:
Osama
Based on a true story, a woman hides her daughter as a boy named Osama, attempting to give her a decent life while fearing the Taliban.
Hadn't heard of this one... provided you aren't making this up, this one has "bomb" written all over it, if only because of the title. Sounds interesting.

Quote:
Others that come out are The Phantom of the Opera, Collateral (Tom Cruise), Van Helsing (Hugh Jackman), comic book adaptations Blade: Trinity, Ghost Rider, Catwoman, Hellboy and Constantine, sequels to Ocean's 11, The Mask, Resident Evil, Mission Impossible, Dirty Dancing, Starship Troopers, Dude Where's My Car?, and XXX, adaptations of The Polar Express, The A-Team, Alone in the Dark, and Starsky & Hutch, plus a host more.
Maybe, maybe, likely, hell no, no, maybe, no, maybe, absolutely, sweet merciful crap no, **** no, likely, christ no, hell no, **** you, and you too, nyet, negatory, no way, and **** off.

And that about sums it up.

The worst part of 2004 is no new LOTR movie. I must say, after seeing the first film in the theatre, dragged there by a friend, I wasn't overly impressed. A good movie, sure, but I wasn't blown away. But starting with the extended cut of Fellowship, I have never seen any cinematic trilogy like that. I suspect I'll be watching these movies the rest of my life. I can't imagine a trilogy that could measure up to this new standard.
Old January 12, 2004, 12:56   #4
The Emperor Fabulous
Civ4 SP Democracy Game
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Guynemer
You rat bastard. Now I have to cut and paste my reply in the other thread.
Haha...mTg was going to move that here...but looks like he doesn't have to now
Old January 12, 2004, 12:56   #5
BeBro
Emperor

Local Time: 18:02
Not sure if it will be the best of these, but the trailer of "Troy" they showed when I was in the theatre to see ROTK impressed me a lot, despite Brad Pitt....

I hope that movie about Alex the Great is, umm...great
Old January 12, 2004, 12:57   #6
Guynemer
Emperor

...rat bastard...
Old January 12, 2004, 13:00   #7
Richelieu
Apolyton Storywriters' Guild
King

Quote:
Originally posted by BeBro
I hope that movie about Alex the Great is, umm...great
Same here.
Old January 12, 2004, 13:23   #8
Boris Godunov
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Emperor

Re: Which 2004 Movies are you most looking forward to?
Spider-Man 2

Nope.

Alien vs. Predator

Good lord, no.

The Village

No. I found Signs barely tolerable, and his formula has gotten old.

Shrek 2

Nope. Guess I was one of the few who found the first one unimaginative and boring.

Jersey Girl

No way in hell.

Troy

Yes. Peterson's name alone is enough to make me want to see this.

Kill Bill Vol. 2

Meh, possibly. I should see how it ends, though I wasn't that impressed with the first part.

The Incredibles

Will wait for the DVD. Looks funny, though...and Finding Nemo was pretty good.

Nope. No interest.

The Ladykillers

While I am a fan of the Coen brothers, I usually wait for the rental.

The Passion of Christ

Couldn't pay me.

Couldn't pay me more.

Garfield

What?

Club Dread

DVD. Super Troopers was kinda funny, but not worth movie theater prices.

The Punisher

Too much punishment for me, so nope.

The Day After Tomorrow

Maybe. This could really suck, but it could be fun. Will wait and see the critic consensus

J. M. Barrie's Neverland

Yes. Depp alone is worth it.

Make the pain stop.

Alexander

Miss Colin Ferrel making out with Jared Leto? Not a chance!

The Aviator

Pass.

Rocky VI

Holy crap. Does this one take place in a nursing home? No way.

The Brothers Grimm

Number #1 on my list. Gilliam's genius is one of the few things that can get me excited about an upcoming film.

Osama

Bo-ring!

The Phantom of the Opera

If it's the musical, I'd rather drive 8-inch railroad spikes into my skull. If not...still not interested. It's a cheesy story.

The rest looks like steaming piles of crappity-crap.
Old January 12, 2004, 13:46   #9
MrFun
Emperor

Local Time: 11:02
Re: Which 2004 Movies are you most looking forward to?
Quote:

Rocky VI
Old January 12, 2004, 13:53   #10
Alex
Emperor

Local Time: 13:02
The interesting thing is that 'Troy' and 'Alexander' are leading now, maybe because of the very nature of this forum and site...
Old January 12, 2004, 13:54   #11
The Emperor Fabulous
Civ4 SP Democracy Game
King

Hey, don't knock Sly. Rocky was an amazing picture.

To this day, Stallone is only the third person to be nominated for an Academy Award for best Actor and best Screenplay in the same year (Chaplin and Orson Wells being the others).
Old January 12, 2004, 13:58   #12
MrFun
Emperor

Emperor, ever heard of "too much of a good thing?"
Old January 12, 2004, 14:26   #13
Stuie
King

The Brothers Grimm is the only one that I'll probably bother to see in a theater (well, maybe I'll take the kids to see Shrek).

Terry Gilliam -->
Old January 12, 2004, 14:33   #14
Alex
Emperor

Local Time: 13:02
"Eternal Sunshine..." and "The Ladykillers" are the ones I want to see.
Old January 12, 2004, 15:45   #15
hexagonian
The Courts of Candle'Bre
Emperor

Harry Potter
Love the books, and with no more LotR in the future (unless Jackson can clear the rights for the Hobbit) this'll be my book adaptation highlight for the next few years

Alexander
Troy
Ancient historical stuff is sweet, despite the fact that most of the time it's not accurate. Any speculation on what conspiracy theories Stone will cook up for Alexander???

Neverland
'Peter Pan' was one of the best/underrated movies of this past year, and putting Depp into that role will be amazing.

The Brothers Grimm
Terry Gilliam always puts a twist in his movies that always makes them out of the ordinary. I still rate 'Baron Munchausen' and 'Twelve Monkys' as some of my favorites.

The Incredibles
Pixar - 'nuff said. Shrek is second banana.

Day After Tomorrow
It sounds like 'The Core', probably the worst disaster movie I ever saw, but for some strange reason, I get a kick out of movies produced by the two guys who made 'Independence Day' and 'Stargate' (their names escape me at the moment).

Rocky VI, Garfield
Yes, let's be optimistic until we have reason to be otherwise...No, let's be pessimistic until we are forced to do otherwise...Maybe, let's be balanced until we are convinced to do otherwise. -- DrSpike, Skanky Burns, Shogun Gunner
...aisdhieort...dticcok...
Old January 12, 2004, 15:52   #16
Drogue
staff
Alpha Centauri PBEMNationStatesACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 SpartansACDG3 MorganACDG3 Data AngelsPolyCast TeamC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNsACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Apolyton Knight (Off-Topic Co-Moderator)

Local Time: 16:02
Shrek 2: The first was brilliant, can't wait for the next one. It won't be as good, but will still be great IMHO

Kill Bill vol. 2: Amazing start, can't wait to see how it ends. Brilliant film from the best director at the moment

The Incredibles deserves an honourable mention. It could be great, being a Pixar flick, but the plot doesn't seem that appealing to me. Hoping for another great animation from Pixar, but doubt it will be up with Monsters Inc or Finding Nemo.

"Hm. I suppose I should get my waffle a santa hat." - Kuciwalker
Old January 12, 2004, 16:19   #17
Imran Siddiqui
staff
Apolytoners Hall of FameAge of Nations TeamPolyCast Team

Quote:
I'm all over this like a Republican on a tax cut.
Me too!

And Troy (which I didn't check ), Alexander, Shrek 2.
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
- John 13:34-35 (NRSV)
Old January 12, 2004, 17:30   #18
Drogue
staff
Alpha Centauri PBEMNationStatesACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 SpartansACDG3 MorganACDG3 Data AngelsPolyCast TeamC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNsACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Apolyton Knight (Off-Topic Co-Moderator)

And a new Coen Brothers film

The Ladykillers it is

"Hm. I suppose I should get my waffle a santa hat." - Kuciwalker
Old January 12, 2004, 18:16   #19
ixnay
Civilization II Democracy GamePtWDG Lux InvictaPtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 Cake or Death?C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations Team
Emperor

Local Time: 10:02
Harry Potter and Kill Bill vol 2
Old January 12, 2004, 18:21   #20
Whaleboy
NationStatesAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessMac
Prince

The Ladykillers and Kill Bill vol II.
Old January 12, 2004, 18:37   #21
The Templar
Prince

Quote:
Hey, don't knock Sly. Rocky was an amazing picture.
Yes, and the sequels all bit hard. I'll go see Troy (even though I prefer the Aenid to the Illiad - and one cannot be sympathetic to Achilles after reading the Aenid).

Collin Ferrel is utterly overrated. Cf. Brad Pitt who actually had a range WRT acting. Nonetheless, I'll go see Alexander if Salon thinks its not too bad.

Pixar bites also. High tech animation of typical sugary Disney crap. I'll go see Shrek 2 though (the first one had edge - unlike any Pixar production).

The Village is a defininte since M. hasn't gotten it wrong yet. In fact, M. has gotten everything really right with his movies. Always a pleasure.
Old January 12, 2004, 19:06   #22
DRoseDARs
lifer
Spore
Emperor

Live action...Garfield? *Shudder...* Why must every cartoon be remade into a "live action" crap-fest?

Shrek 2 I guess, but Kill Bill p2 is what I'm waiting for.

The Weighted Companion Cube is cheating on you, that slut.
Old January 12, 2004, 19:30   #23
Verto
Apolyton Storywriters' GuildNationStatesMac
King

I've never seen such an incredible array of sucky movies to look forward to.
Old January 12, 2004, 19:46   #24
Jac de Molay
Prince

Rocky VI: Colostomy Bags of Fury
"Perhaps a new spirit is rising among us. If it is, let us trace its movements and pray that our own inner being may be sensitive to its guidance, for we are deeply in need of a new way beyond the darkness that seems so close around us." --MLK Jr.
Old January 12, 2004, 20:00   #25
cinch
Warlord

What? No Sky Captain And The World Of Tomorrow ? Heresy!

Watch The Trailer HERE

As for which ones I want to see:

ETERNAL SUNSHINE OF THE SPOTLESS MIND: I loves me the Carrey, especially when he's playing it half-n-half. I also loves me the Kaufman, when done right... I hope he's done right here.

TROY & ALEXANDER: Duh.

JERSEY GIRL: My Kevin Smith fanboyhood has been waning, but I still think this shows promise. Flecky has the chops, he just needs the right environment to bring them out.

THE BROTHERS GRIMM & THE LADYKILLERS. I am loyal to the directors.

THE INCREDIBLES. I will see anything Pixar. SHREK had funny moments, but curse he who says that it is better than any Pixar movie!

THE PASSION. I will see it; it intrigues me. Plus, I want to, you know, actually SEE the film before I judge whether it's evil or not.

And of course KILL BILL VOL. 2.
Old January 12, 2004, 20:52   #26
reds4ever
Prince

Local Time: 17:02
Lord of the Rings 4
Old January 12, 2004, 20:53   #27
The Emperor Fabulous
Civ4 SP Democracy Game
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Verto
I've never seen such an incredible array of sucky movies to look forward to.
Every year's got their stinkers. This is about 10 percent of the movies that are coming out in 2004.
Old January 12, 2004, 21:15   #28
Boris Godunov
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by The Templar
Pixar bites also. High tech animation of typical sugary Disney crap. I'll go see Shrek 2 though (the first one had edge - unlike any Pixar production).
Oh come now...did you even see Finding Nemo? I think it was easily the best of the computer animated films so far, for any studio.
Old January 12, 2004, 21:28   #29
OzzyKP
staff
ApolyCon 06 ParticipantsDiploGamesPolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4DG The Mercenary TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame
ACS Staff Member

The Butterfly Effect looks really good, I saw trailers with ROTK.

But definately looking forward to Spider-man 2 and the Greek flicks. Anything by M. Night Somebody is good, but I'll probably wait for video. Alien vs. Preditor sounds damn cool. Though I think Freddy vs. Jason sounded damn cool too, and never saw it. Another video/TV one.

Shrek, the pixar flick, and Harry Potter no doubt will be good. Others in the list are good too, but I don't feel like typing anymore.

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah
Old January 12, 2004, 21:32   #30
St Leo
Scenario League / Civ2-CreationApolytoners Hall of Fame

Kill Bill Pt.2

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban

Neverland