Old January 12, 2004, 23:30   #1
JesseSmith
Firaxis Games

Local Time: 16:06
Local Date: November 2, 2010
V1.15 BETA Release
http://www.civfanatics.net/~tavis/files/C3CBETAv115.zip

BETA PATCH! Public Release will not be until the end of February so if you aren't interested in reviewing it please do not use it!

Make a backup of your original Civ3Conquests.exe, jgl.dll, and text\labels.txt

IT IS RECOMMENDED THAT YOU HAVE V1.12 & V1.13

Items for v1.15 BETA (1/12/04):
* Corruption was set by Soren to meet his design. The Palace is the only Corruption Free Civ Center. All other cities are affected by their distance from the palace, WLTK Day, Governments, Corruption Reducing Buildings, Corruption Policeman, and the # of cities in your empire. Courthouse effects inscreased from 5% to 10%.

* Updated AI Strategies in Conquests: Mesopotamia - Galley (Naval Power), Enkidu Warrior (Offense), Rise of Rome - All legions (Defense OFF), MesoAmerica - Acali & Great Acali (Acali:Unload/Upgrade & Naval Transport, Great Acali (Upgrade Unit OFF), Age of Discovery - Javelin Thrower (Offense), Missionary (Capture, Offense), WWII Pacific - Fighter Bomber (Bombard!)

* Fixed Random Civ MP Launch OOS

* Secret Police HQ no longer gives effects corruption OR OCN bonus when player leaves Communism. Fixed error with Government required buildings not turning off.

* Updated Civilopedia.txt Forbidden Palace to explain that all cities are still affected by distance from the Real Capital.

* Updated Civilopedia

* Updated PediaIcons.txt

* Fixed Credit Typos
JesseSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12, 2004, 23:42   #2
Slax
Prince

Local Time: 11:06
Any effect of FP on OCN?
Slax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12, 2004, 23:57   #3
Antrine
Prince

'Corruption was set by Soren to meet his design', respectfully what does this mean? And what differences if any from 1.13 which I now finally have matured in a on-going game to test by building the FP. If I am correct, the OCN was additionally extended 50% in version 1.13? And I note the FP created another Corruption Free city. So far I like these two enhancements.

Additionally, Raising the Courthouse impact to 10%; is this a hard-coded design change?

Sincerely,
Many gracious thanks for all your deligent and hard work!!
I'll send you elsewhere
Antrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13, 2004, 00:15   #4
asleepathewheel
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

so corruption the way soren intended it? intriguing. can't wait to finish my current game and give it a whirl.

(love these new patches coming out right and left, though too fast for llittle me to play much more than a full game each!)

asleepathewheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13, 2004, 00:35   #5
BigFree
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III MultiplayerPtWDG RoleplayCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCivilization III Democracy GameCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG CalysiumBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG SarantiumPtWDG2 SunshineC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 09:06
Re: V1.15 BETA Release
Quote:
Originally posted by JesseSmith
http://www.civfanatics.net/~tavis/files/C3CBETAv115.zip

Items for v1.15 BETA (1/12/04):
* Corruption was set by Soren to meet his design. The Palace is the only Corruption Free Civ Center. All other cities are affected by their distance from the palace, WLTK Day, Governments, Corruption Reducing Buildings, Corruption Policeman, and the # of cities in your empire. Courthouse effects inscreased from 5% to 10%.
I thought the Courthouse reduced corruption by 25%. What's with this?
BigFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13, 2004, 00:38   #6
kring
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerNationStatesCTP2 Source Code ProjectApolyton UniversityCivilization IV Creators
King

Local Time: 10:06
Thank you for the update Jesse.
kring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13, 2004, 00:58   #7
ducki
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 Cake or Death?Apolyton University
King

Thanks Jesse! You guys are doing a great job of staying on target, even after opening up the beta patch.
Keep up the good work, I can't wait to see how things work now.
Old January 13, 2004, 01:02   #8
Jon Miller
staff
ApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization II MultiplayerRise of Nations MultiplayerPtWDG Vox ControliC4DG Vox
OTF Moderator

tell me how this is

I just played my first multiplayer 1.12 game

unfortunately it ended when my freind (and the host) had his harddrive fail (Really sucky)

Jon Miller
Old January 13, 2004, 01:19   #9
Capt Dizle
ACDG3 Gaians
King

Ongoing product support is a good thing. There, I finally said something nice about Soren and his Firaxian buddies. I expect my penis to promptly fall off.
Capt Dizle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13, 2004, 01:23   #10
asleepathewheel
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Re: Re: V1.15 BETA Release
Quote:
Originally posted by BigFree

Its never been that high, unless I'm horribly mistaken. Its only ever given me a shield or two back even in otherwise potent cities.

So its 10% from courthouse, and still 5 from police stations? not too shabby.
Old January 13, 2004, 01:58   #11
Jaybe
Mac
Emperor

Re: Re: V1.15 BETA Release
Quote:
Is it possible that what was meant is either:
5-10% additional, or
an additional 5-10% of 25% (i.e., as much as 27.5%)?
I play BtS (3.19) -- Noble or Prince, Rome, marathon speed, huge hemispheres (2 of them), aggressive AI, no tech brokering. I enjoy the Hephmod Beyond mod. For all non-civ computer uses, including internet, I use a Mac.
Jaybe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13, 2004, 05:04   #12
BigFree
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III MultiplayerPtWDG RoleplayCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCivilization III Democracy GameCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG CalysiumBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG SarantiumPtWDG2 SunshineC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Deity

Re: Re: Re: V1.15 BETA Release
Quote:
Originally posted by asleepathewheel

Its never been that high, unless I'm horribly mistaken. Its only ever given me a shield or two back even in otherwise potent cities.

Let's say you had a city that was making 10 spt before waste and 6 after. Those 4 'wasted' shields represents ~40% corrutption rate for that city. Now, the Couthouse is built. It reduces the corruption rate for that city by 25%. So 25% of .40 = .10 or 10%. So, 10% is what I gain back against corruption; which in this case is one shield. At least that's the way I thought it worked.
BigFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13, 2004, 05:37   #13
Gunter
Warlord

Even if for several reasons I haven't yet tried Conquests, I can't avoid to express my huge satisfaction seeing Fireaxians are working very fine about the support and they are releasing BETA patches that IMO is the best way to perfectly tune a patch.

My copy will wait until the end of February before beeing tested but again, my best compliments to give players this kind of support !

Well done, and keep up the good work following players' suggestions

Gunter
Gunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13, 2004, 06:24   #14
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 04:06
Local Date: November 3, 2010
Re: Re: Re: Re: V1.15 BETA Release
Quote:

Let's say you had a city that was making 10 spt before waste and 6 after. Those 4 'wasted' shields represents ~40% corrutption rate for that city. Now, the Couthouse is built. It reduces the corruption rate for that city by 25%. So 25% of .40 = .10 or 10%. So, 10% is what I gain back against corruption; which in this case is one shield. At least that's the way I thought it worked.
It isn't a straightforward 25% of corruption returned. Remember that some cities with say 10 wasted shields will not get back ANYTHING from a Courthouse. According to alexman's thread,

Corruption% = 100 * (Fd*Fg*Fi*Ft + Fc)

Where the Courthouse effect is in the Fc term.

Further,
Code:
          Ncity / (2*Fn*Nopt),         if Ncity <= Fn*Nopt,
Fc =     
          Ncity / (Fn*Nopt) - 0.5,     if Ncity > Fn*Nopt,
And the Courthouse part itself slots in as N in

Fn = d*(1 + g + fp + imp*N + c)/100

with Imp = .25 for non-Communist governments. For simplicity's sake (and the fact I have never used it) I will omit the Communism case, and only look at the case where there are less than the optimal number of cities built.

For a given constant value of all other values, building a Courthouse will result in Fn changing from d*(1 + g + fp + c)/100 to d*(1 + g + fp + c)/100 +d*0.25/100 (a difference of d*0.25/100). So the increase in this value Fn due to a Courthouse depends also on d, which is the %age of optimal city number for this map.

Then, Fc changes from Ncity/(2*Fn0*Nopt) to Ncity/(2*(Fn0+d*0.25/100)*Nopt), which is a decrease of (after a little expansion)
(d/200)*Ncity/(2*Fn0*(2*Fn0*Nopt+d/200*Nopt))

Note: Fn0 is what I have Fn to be before the Courthouse was built, ie Fn0 = d*(1 + g + fp + c)/100

Now the actual corruption in the city goes from

100 * (Fd*Fg*Fi*Ft + Fc) as above

to 100 * (Fd*Fg*Fi*Ft + (Fc - (d/200)*Ncity/(2*Fn0*(2*Fn0*Nopt+d/200*Nopt))) )

Which itself is a decrease in corruption of 100*(d/200)*Ncity/(2*Fn0*(2*Fn0*Nopt+d/200*Nopt))

So, as you can see (if not very clearly), building a Courthouse changes the corruption in a city by a value that depends on the city number, the optimal number of cities, the percentage of the optimal city number constructed so far, g (Government form), fp (whether you have an FP or not) and whether you are Commercial or not. Phew!

In other words, the Courthouse's effect is modified by every other corruption altering effect, so just do the spreadhseet to calculate it for yourself, unless you really need to practive your calc like I just did.

Oh, and BTW this worked for PtW - Soren alone knows what it is really like in C3C right now.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!
MrWhereItsAt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13, 2004, 06:42   #15
Harovan
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty PythonC4DG Gathering Storm
Civ4: Colonization Content Editor

Local Time: 17:06
While I certainly appreciate the continuous support, I completely fail to understand, why this stuff wasn't thoroughly tested in the prolonged and well-manned beta phase.
Harovan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13, 2004, 07:05   #16
DrSpike
Civilization IV: MultiplayerApolyton University
Deity

Yes like so many posts recently, I want to start by thumbsing up the interaction.

However, the 'vision' we are told Soren had all along looks absolutely nothing like the Civ3/PTW situation. Are we to believe that Soren accidentally made the FP give a new set of city ranks? And screwed up the way those city ranks worked anyway?

Also, Alexman said the OCN increase was IIRC 10% in 1.13 rather than the 50% advertised.........has this been fixed?

Also I presume the FP still acts to reduce distance corruption but without creating new city ranks, but the initial post is hazy on this. It's quite bad that after the info release each time I await Alexman's posts to see if corruption model works as advertised.

Don't want to be any trouble (I know it is still a testing patch at the moment) but more info please Jesse.
DrSpike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13, 2004, 07:21   #17
player1
Emperor

Local Time: 18:06
One question to developers:
Will this patch be released at atarisupport.com like v1.12, or will it be as unofficial as 1.13?
player1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13, 2004, 07:33   #18
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 04:06
Local Date: November 3, 2010
As stated above this is still a beta patch, so it is certainly 'unofficial', whilst still coming from official sources. There would be little point in putting it on the Atari website, seeing as there has been such a rapid succession of patches recently, and maybe more to come before the final one.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!
MrWhereItsAt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13, 2004, 09:00   #19
Stuie
King

Local Time: 12:06
Jesse - just to clarify, when are the "Currently Targeted" items you identified in this thread (http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...hreadid=105283) targeted for? Will they be in a future beta, or do we have to wait for the public patch?
Stuie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13, 2004, 11:52   #20
Gramphos
staff
Civilization III MultiplayerC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV: MultiplayerAge of Nations TeamC4BtSDG Realms BeyondCivilization IV Creators
Technical Director

Quote:
No, it is the building flag 'reduces corruption' that has this effect, so Police stations will undergo the same change as courthouses.
Old January 13, 2004, 11:56   #21
Aggie
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG Glory of WarCivilization III Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumPtWDG2 TabemonoInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

Also is it safe to continue a game under this patch that was started in 1.13 or do we need to start new. In the earlier patches it was ok.

Aggie
Old January 13, 2004, 11:58   #22
DrSpike
Civilization IV: MultiplayerApolyton University
Deity

Probably best to start anew........some people mentioned problems with continuing games started with old patches.
DrSpike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13, 2004, 12:23   #23
asleepathewheel
Emperor

Re: Re: Re: Re: V1.15 BETA Release
Quote:
Originally posted by Gramphos

No, it is the building flag 'reduces corruption' that has this effect, so Police stations will undergo the same change as courthouses.

ah, had I thought about it, I would have realized that to be the case, thanks
Old January 13, 2004, 14:55   #24
conmcb25
inmate
Civilization III Democracy GameACDG The Human HiveAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II PBEMCivilization IV PBEMCivilization III PBEMCivilization II Succession GamesPtWDG2 MonkeyInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG Vox ControliScenario League / Civ2-CreationAlpha Centauri PBEMACDG3 MorganApolyton UniversityIron CiversCivilization II MultiplayerC3CDG Team BabylonCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsCiv4 SP Democracy GameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG SarantiumPolyCast TeamCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontC4WDG CalysiumC4BtSDG Templars
Deity

If this is going to be posted on the Firaxis site and we need 1.13 as well as 1.12, does that now mean that 1.13 will be posted there as well and changes from a review patch to a Beta patch?
Old January 13, 2004, 15:41   #25
Rommel2D
staff
Civilization III PBEMIron Civers

Quote:
I don't know how horrible this is, but the civilopedia says courthouses only affect corruption. If it doesn't decrease waste, as this implies, that would explain why no one is noticing alot of shields being saved.

Didn't courthouse effects get changed from modifying local corruption directly to modifying the OCN for that city? Was this when the 25% was knocked down to 5%?
Old January 13, 2004, 17:02   #26
alexman
PtWDG Gathering StormCivilization IV CreatorsInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV PBEMApolyCon 06 Participants
Firaxis Games Software Engineer

Just to clarify, Courthouses still cut distance corruption in half, and increase the OCN by 25%.

New in this patch is the fact that a city without a courthouse has a maximum corruption 90%, but with a courthouse it has a maximum corruption of 80%.

Police station effects are cumulative with courthouses, so a city with both will have just 1/4 the distance corruption and 50% higher OCN, and maximum 70% corruption.

Jesse and Soren: as I mentioned elsewhere, the FP does not increase the OCN by 37.5% as you said it would. In 1.15 it's about half that much (around 20%).
alexman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13, 2004, 17:25   #27
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Thanks for the scoop alexman. It was like a ping pong ball going back and forth and I was getting a headache.
vmxa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13, 2004, 17:32   #28
player1
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by alexman
New in this patch is the fact that a city without a courthouse has a maximum corruption 90%, but with a courthouse it has a maximum corruption of 80%.

Police station effects are cumulative with courthouses, so a city with both will have just 1/4 the distance corruption and 50% higher OCN, and maximum 70% corruption.
So every city with courthouse will be guaranteed to be at least 20% productive.
And every city without it will be guaranteed to be at least 10% productive.

That's good, since courthouse always makes a differece, and there are no more irrational 95% corrupt cities.
player1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13, 2004, 18:08   #29
UnOrthOdOx
PtWDG2 TabemonoPtWDG Glory of WarApolyton Storywriters' GuildIron CiversApolytoners Hall of FameC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogCiv4 SP Democracy GamePolyCast TeamC4DG The Mercenary TeamC4WDG The Goonies
Emperor

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: V1.15 BETA Release
Quote:
Originally posted by MrWhereItsAt

It isn't a straightforward 25% of corruption returned. Remember that some cities with say 10 wasted shields will not get back ANYTHING from a Courthouse. According to alexman's thread,

some bunch of numbers

So, as you can see...

RIIIGHT, I see that CLEARLY.

Can't wait to try the new model in my ever so scientific 'try and see' method.

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby
UnOrthOdOx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13, 2004, 18:11   #30
SirOsis
Civilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization IV: Multiplayer
King

Re: V1.15 BETA Release
Quote:
Originally posted by JesseSmith
IT IS RECOMMENDED THAT YOU HAVE V1.12 & V1.13
Recommended but not required? Why do we need the earlier versions? Doesn't the 1.15 stand alone?

I have 1.12 installed and do I need to install 1.13 before 1.15?
SirOsis is offline   Reply With Quote