View Poll Results: Who should be the Minister of Defense?
BigFree 7 35.00%
Uber kruX 11 55.00%
abstain 2 10.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Old January 12, 2004, 23:36   #1
Togas
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III MultiplayerInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 SunshineC3CDG The Lost BoysC4DG The Mercenary TeamPtWDG RoleplayC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 08:06
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Advisory Poll for Minister of Defense
Please pick one of the above.

Please feel free to discuss your choice or to debate this matter in this thread.

This poll will be open for 3 days.

--Togas
Heir to the lost throne of Spain of the Roleplay Team in the PTW Democracy Multiplayer Team Game.
Togas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13, 2004, 01:56   #2
Donegeal
PtWDG Glory of WarC4DG VoxApolyCon 06 ParticipantsC4BtSDG TemplarsSpore
Emperor

Local Time: 16:06
Both will serve us well as Supreme Military Commander (sorry, but it just sounds SOOOO much better than Minister of Defense/War).

Both also have shown to have the proper attitude to deal with the upcomming insubordnate teams.

Due to the fact that BF will open his mouth no matter the outcome ( ), I am going to support the legendary UberKrux (who will most likely only participate if he wins). Uber has been quiet these past many months in the DGs, but I would like to remind some of the newer citizens of some of the things that has done in the past. During the original SPDG (which was such a tremendous success) Uber was our 1st SMC. Case Pink (an early Archer rush that was originally planned to go after the French to our west) was drawn up by our lovable Tiger, NYE. Once we discovered the Americans to our North, the plan was changed and adapted to attach them first. The War went excellent. Uber then drew up plans to use an early Navel landing to attack France. This war also went very well, but ran into a hitch as Joan bribed Germany (to our NE) and Persia (our E) to betray us. This sounds bad, but actually lead to our eventual victory. It was at this point that Uber had to give way for school. It is also where I learned that Uber has a thing for LAN games with his friends. So, even if you don't see him posting much in the private forums, know that he does have considerable skill as a SMC.
Donegeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13, 2004, 02:35   #3
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 10:06
Just a point of clarification. A string of posts between Sir Ralph and Uber, with me chipping in, inspired Case Pink. It was not just my doing. Although I spent the several hours required to formulate it, SR and Uber had a lot to do with it as well.

Now, BigFree is no slouch either. I have worked closely with him and can vouch for his dedication.

I will wait to hear from the candidates.
notyoueither is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13, 2004, 02:44   #4
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

Local Time: 11:06
Quote:
[copied for the campaign thread
Greetings citizens of Apolytonia, I am running for Minister of Defense.

Many of you know me, and know of my work in the first demo game here at Apolyton. I was a driving force in the creation and the shaping of the game, and I was elected three times by overwhelming majority. There are various stories about me written by many people throughout old Apolytonian lore, which I still read whenever I need a laugh .

If you do not know me, I'd like to help you get to know me a bit more, for even though the Consuls make the decision here, it is the people who will give me the power.

I am a warmonger. I am not a diplomat, I am a warmonger. I fight wars, it's what I do. I simply love planning and devising tactics, and seeing them executed. As I plan them, I use my Photoshop skills to create tactical map overlays which I share with the citizenship. All my plans are voted on directly by the people, and if the simple majority of the people dislikes the plan, I'll rework it, or throw it away completely. This has actually been done before in the first demo game, when my "war chariot route" plan got shot down.

I am in favor of ressurecting the War Academy in the form of "The Apolytonian Academy of War", or "AAW". If you are unfamiliar with the concept, the War Academy is a place where pretty much any citizen can come up with a plan and bring it up for discussion. All plans and anything to do with the military can be discussed by any citizen in a War Academy thread. They are a direct connection to the SMC (or Minister of Defense, whatever), and discussion there is taken into heavy consideration when final plans are developed. I plan to start this academy even if I should lose the appointment.

I am also in favor of political parties. I'm not sure how they have developed here on Apolyton (I haven't been paying attention to the new demo game), but I believe political parties are a necessary element to any democratic system, and I will be looking to start one here, centered about war. More on that later.

I invite anyone to ask me questions, and I will answer them in a timely manner.
i am really interested in joining a major demogame now, because i have the time and i miss the involvement and interaction that demogames entail.

even if i'm not elected, i'll still be starting up the War Academy, and i'll still be strategizing. And if I do win, I'd appoint BigFree as my deputy (or whatever term you wish to call it), and I think he would do the same for me. No matter who is appointed, I am sure that both of us will be working together, alongside the people, to formulate Apolyton's strategies.

Last edited by Inverse Icarus; January 13, 2004 at 03:00.
Inverse Icarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13, 2004, 03:29   #5
Donegeal
PtWDG Glory of WarC4DG VoxApolyCon 06 ParticipantsC4BtSDG TemplarsSpore
Emperor

Local Time: 16:06
Hmmm... It seems that my post looks like a put-down of BF. This is not the case. BF is one of the most passionate and dedicated citizens of Apolyton I have ever seen. I support Uber more because I am more familier with his Military prowess than that of BF (but I am sure that is coming. Cough-CAC PBEM-Cough).
Donegeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13, 2004, 05:47   #6
BigFree
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III MultiplayerPtWDG RoleplayCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCivilization III Democracy GameCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG CalysiumBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG SarantiumPtWDG2 SunshineC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 09:06
Thanks for the kind words donegeal.

Uber KruX is correct that I would ask him to be my Deputy should I win. I would accept the position as well if I should lose. Hmm...win...lose...is this an election? I thought Ministers were "appointed" as per the Constitution....oh well. I like the people to have a say and a say they shall have!

I guess I will copy over my post from another thread in which I explained my presumed strategy for this position...

Quote:
Originally posted by BigFree
Well, as promised, here's my ideas on how the MoW should be run.

I do not like the idea of political parties for this game. In real life politcal parties mess things up. Lets say you have some mebers of one party that really like an idea but most of their constituents are against it. Thus the party does not support the idea even though some members of the party like it. Having all Doves or all Hawks control what our actions are is not what I have in mind.

I would rather have everyone have an equal voice and not be tied down to certain agendas. All citizens should be heard equally with the Consuls ultimately deciding what to do.

The job that I'm applying for entails both offensive as well as defensive strategies. We must first and foremost have a ready homeland defense. The defender in Civ has the advantage so you have to direct the battles so that you get the most out of that advantage where possible. Secondly, attacking an enmey will most probably come around. Whether it's driving an attacker back to it's homeland then continuing the fight there or sending troops in through the 'back door' or being content with stopping an invasion, decisive action must be taken.

When we are not at war, we still need to be prepared for it. This is a game centered on war with diplomacy taking a larger role than it would in a SP game. We can't afford to 'trust' any one team completely. We may have to have make a few 'leaps of faith' but I would strongly reccomend against putting our Civ's empire on the line.

As far as Military strategies for Civ....well it depends on the situation at hand.

You have to consider:

Your location with respect to the other Civ's

What Civ's have available to them as far as resources.

What the other Civ's production capacity is.

What your and your opponents Civ strength's are.

The type of land will the battle be mostly fought over.

The chances of another Civ intervening.

This could go on for a long time, but you get the idea.

I thank you for your consideration.
BigFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13, 2004, 10:13   #7
conmcb25
inmate
Civilization III Democracy GameACDG The Human HiveAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II PBEMCivilization IV PBEMCivilization III PBEMCivilization II Succession GamesPtWDG2 MonkeyInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG Vox ControliScenario League / Civ2-CreationAlpha Centauri PBEMACDG3 MorganApolyton UniversityIron CiversCivilization II MultiplayerC3CDG Team BabylonCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsCiv4 SP Democracy GameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG SarantiumPolyCast TeamCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontC4WDG CalysiumC4BtSDG Templars
Deity

Local Time: 12:06
This is an advisory poll to the counsels.

We just wanted to see what the Senate's opinion was on this matter.

And Im glad to see that whoever is appointed will appoint the other deputy and they will both work together.

Good job to both!
Old January 13, 2004, 14:08   #8
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

Local Time: 11:06
Quote:
Originally posted by conmcb25
This is an advisory poll to the counsels.

We just wanted to see what the Senate's opinion was on this matter.

And Im glad to see that whoever is appointed will appoint the other deputy and they will both work together.

Good job to both!
the way i see it, strategizing for war is something everybody can (and should) participate in. the SMC (i'm going to call it that from now on, god dammit) is just there to present various ideas and to be considered an "expert" in terms of his opinion. anyone can suggest anything, anyone can come up with a plan, and it will be taken into consideration.

we all play civ, and we all fight wars. we all know (basically) what is good strategy, and we can all plan something out. the SMC is there to judge it all, and to make a decision.

usually, the plan is obvious, but sometimes there are various options that can be persued. in the event of there being multiple plans with near equal support from the people, the SMC is the one to decide which gets put into play.
Old January 13, 2004, 16:02   #9
Togas
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III MultiplayerInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 SunshineC3CDG The Lost BoysC4DG The Mercenary TeamPtWDG RoleplayC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

A few of my thoughts:

The SMC or MOW or MOD (whoever gets the nod can call it what they want for all I care) is also there to post turn orders for every turn and deal with the mundane aspects of the job -- like scouting, redeploying units from city to city, planning upgrades, moving patrols.

He also will be the spokesperson for the office, handle criticism for his plans, deal with alternate plans he disagrees with, and be able to present his plan to the people and argue for it.

We are looking for someone who will both be our military expert, and be a team leader. This poll and this thread will help us make our choice.

--Togas
Heir to the lost throne of Spain of the Roleplay Team in the PTW Democracy Multiplayer Team Game.
Old January 15, 2004, 02:02   #10
BigFree
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III MultiplayerPtWDG RoleplayCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCivilization III Democracy GameCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG CalysiumBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG SarantiumPtWDG2 SunshineC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Deity

I demand more votes!

Please.
Old January 15, 2004, 06:00   #11
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 04:06
Local Date: November 3, 2010
Don't look at me. Out of amazing luck I actually caught this one.

/me stares hard at the pollmakers

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!
MrWhereItsAt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15, 2004, 10:29   #12
conmcb25
inmate
Civilization III Democracy GameACDG The Human HiveAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II PBEMCivilization IV PBEMCivilization III PBEMCivilization II Succession GamesPtWDG2 MonkeyInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG Vox ControliScenario League / Civ2-CreationAlpha Centauri PBEMACDG3 MorganApolyton UniversityIron CiversCivilization II MultiplayerC3CDG Team BabylonCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsCiv4 SP Democracy GameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG SarantiumPolyCast TeamCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontC4WDG CalysiumC4BtSDG Templars
Deity

Local Time: 12:06
Quote:
Originally posted by MrWhereItsAt
Don't look at me. Out of amazing luck I actually caught this one.

* MrWhereItsAt stares hard at the pollmakers
*conmcb25 stares very hard at MWIA*

Old January 16, 2004, 20:18   #13
Togas
Emperor

A few more votes would have been nice, but 19 votes oughta do.

We're going to discuss the results of this poll and unless one of the Consuls has some great objections or preferences, we'll likely follow this poll.

--Togas
Old January 17, 2004, 16:51   #14
BigFree
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Togas
A few more votes would have been nice, but 19 votes oughta do.

We're going to discuss the results of this poll and unless one of the Consuls has some great objections or preferences, we'll likely follow this poll.

--Togas
Which makes the position an "elected", in effect, and not "appointed" one as per the Constitution. Which, IMO, is BS. Oh well. I guess Congrats to Uber Krux are in order.