Old January 13, 2004, 06:40   #1
The Mad Monk
Emperor

Local Time: 11:07
Local Date: November 2, 2010
A note on attacking natives with artillary...
...don't use a string disruptor on that native stack, unless you don't mind rebuilding the thermal borehole it's sitting on...
"We have tried spending money. We are spending more than we have ever spent before and it does not work...After eight years of this Administration, we have just as much unemployment as when we started... And an enormous debt to boot!" — Henry Morgenthau, Franklin Delano Roosevelt's Treasury secretary, 1941.
Old January 13, 2004, 11:30   #2
Bella Hella
Prince

this is somewhat related... i had some fungus grow over a mine that was being crawled. when i right clicked on the space, i found that a fungal tower had bloomed right underneath my crawler. as an experiment, i sent a unit out to attack that square. sure enough, he killed both the fungal tower and the crawler!!! this has happened to me a few other times, too.
Old January 13, 2004, 12:51   #3
johndmuller
Alpha Centauri PBEMACDG Peace
King

Re: A note on attacking natives with artillary...
Quote:
Originally posted by The Mad Monk
...don't use a string disruptor on that native stack, unless you don't mind rebuilding the thermal borehole it's sitting on...
Is it possible that the NL destroyed the terraforming on its turn independent of your attack?
Old January 13, 2004, 12:59   #4
Flubber
Alpha Centauri PBEMACDG PeaceAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Human HiveACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

Local Time: 10:07
Quote:
Originally posted by Bella Hella
this is somewhat related... i had some fungus grow over a mine that was being crawled. when i right clicked on the space, i found that a fungal tower had bloomed right underneath my crawler. as an experiment, i sent a unit out to attack that square. sure enough, he killed both the fungal tower and the crawler!!! this has happened to me a few other times, too.
THis is a known bug-- I have learned to move up the attacking unit, move off the crawler and THEN kill the natives. The crawler probably has to go somwhere else anyway as there is usally a needed fungus cleanup

I never experience loss of terraforming from an arty attack on NL but then again I never built string arty-- I generally don't worry about terraforming much in that late stage anyway since I usually have a bunch of souped up clean formers just looking for stuff to be doing
Old January 13, 2004, 15:10   #5
Illuminatus
staff
Apolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization IV CreatorsACDG3 CMNsACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansC4WDG Team ApolytonAge of Nations TeamACDG3 Gaians
Provost

Local Time: 18:07
I think this is the most common bug in SMAX - why did they have to make new bugs?
Old January 13, 2004, 15:35   #6
Alinestra Covelia
ACDG The Human HiveRise of Nations Multiplayer
Queen

Local Time: 12:07
Is it just with the string disruptor?

Because it would make sense that bombarding an area with the most powerful directional weapon known, which operates on the basis of manipulating the essential building blocks of the universe, whilst sending infinite unknown ripple effects through the space-time continuinuinuinuinuum, could possibly trample your tulips.
Old January 13, 2004, 17:34   #7
The Mad Monk
Emperor

Oh, I'm not calling it a bug, because it does make sense.

I'm just calling it a really dumb move on my part.

"We have to destroy the borehole to save it."
"We have tried spending money. We are spending more than we have ever spent before and it does not work...After eight years of this Administration, we have just as much unemployment as when we started... And an enormous debt to boot!" — Henry Morgenthau, Franklin Delano Roosevelt's Treasury secretary, 1941.
Old January 13, 2004, 17:44   #8
Illuminatus
staff
Apolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization IV CreatorsACDG3 CMNsACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansC4WDG Team ApolytonAge of Nations TeamACDG3 Gaians
Provost

Local Time: 18:07
Does make sense? - such powerfull weapons should have splash damage thruoghout the galaxy. The damn bug mentioned in Bella Hellas post is too often.
Old January 13, 2004, 18:27   #9
The Mad Monk
Emperor

It makes sense that using a hammer to swat the fly on your noggin may have consequences.
Old January 13, 2004, 19:45   #10
Blake
lifer
PolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4DG Gathering StormCivilization IV CreatorsApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of Fame
Beyond the Sword AI Programmer

Local Time: 05:07
Local Date: November 3, 2010
With the fungal tower-crawler thing, it's far more annoying when it's a quantum crawler with best armor and you send a empath gun-hovertank to take out the tower... the crawler defends
Old January 15, 2004, 04:46   #11
The Mad Monk
Emperor

Yeah, that can be a bit of a drag.