2) Keep punishment as the same (Google ends and posts turn) 11 37.93%
2) Reduce punishment for not meeting the deadline 1 3.45%
2) Increase punishment for not meeting the deadline 1 3.45%
2) Write-in 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Old January 13, 2004, 10:06   #1
Drogue
staff
Alpha Centauri PBEMNationStatesACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 SpartansACDG3 MorganACDG3 Data AngelsPolyCast TeamC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNsACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Apolyton Knight (Off-Topic Co-Moderator)

Local Time: 16:07
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Turnplay Deadline
Some teams seem to be having problems keeping to the turnplay deadline. PEACE currently have the turn, and have had it for 59 and a half hours. We voted first that the deadline was 48 hours, and that if not posted still punishment wouldbe inacted 12 hours after the deadline lapsed. The punishment for a first offence would be a warning, and the second and subsequent ones would be punished be Googlie pressing "end turn" and posting the save for the next faction. However, with fewer members, is more time needed?

This poll is for information gathering, and for the Gods to do what they see fit with it. Basically I want to know if people think we should give a longer timelimit, change the punishment or keet it as is. This is for unauthorised late posting. If there is a reason, please post in the turn thread or PM Googlie for an extension.

Article 1 relates to the timelimit itself. Should it be kept at 48 hours, plus 12 before punishment, or should it be lengthened by a day to 72 + 12 hours?

Article 2 relates to the punishment for late posting. Should it be increased, decreased, or kept?

You have 5 days. Please discuss.

"Hm. I suppose I should get my waffle a santa hat." - Kuciwalker

Last edited by Drogue; January 13, 2004 at 10:12.
Old January 13, 2004, 10:19   #2
Drogue
staff
Alpha Centauri PBEMNationStatesACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 SpartansACDG3 MorganACDG3 Data AngelsPolyCast TeamC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNsACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness

Voted to keep them both. I think we were right before about the punishment, a warning for first offence, and subsequent offences are punished by Googlie pressing "end turn" and posting the turn. Other options put forward range from Googlie playing the turn with orders given (a lot of work for him) and elimination of team (very drastic and hard to do).

I am prepared to be swayed about needing longer time. Drones have never had a problem with late playing, and PUT now played as a PBEM means that when Archaic is back it should revert to his usual PBEM playing speed of under 24 hours, so I'm presuming they won't have problems keeping to the 48+12 hours. But what about the Hive and PEACE? The Hive has undergone an upheaval, and so may need more time until a regular turnplayer emerges (without Kody). PEACE seem to have lost some of their active members (is that correct?) and because of the war are having difficulties. Do either of these factions wish to extend the period?

ATM it is too slow, and the punishments are not being enforced. If it is a long term problem, then IMHO extending the deadline is the best. If it is short term, than would those factions be able to stick to the old time limit?

Obviously how this is used it up to Googlie, but I wanted to see what other people's opinions were, in case they have changed since the start.

Old January 13, 2004, 10:49   #3
Impaler[WrG]
Civilization IV CreatorsACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansAlpha Centauri PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 MorganPolyCast Team
King

Local Time: 09:07
I would be ok with a time extension if these delays are legitimatly caused by PEACE's need to constantly re-evaluate its position each turn as the war progresses. We do the same to an extent with our military as these matters are so unpredictable compared to the simple mathimaticaly perfect work of being a peacefull builder faction. Beyond a rather simple plan the whole external plan needs to be compiled and evaluated in that 48 hour time span.

Perhaps if we add an adendum to the rules

"Teams engaged in major Wars or Internal Political upheavals recive an additional 24 hours to their time limit"

This would seem a fair means of flexing the time limit up when a Faction is under major preshure but keeps the original time limit on most of the teams most of the time.
Companions the creator seeks, not corpses, not herds and believers. Fellow creators, the creator seeks - those who write new values on new tablets. Companions the creator seeks, and fellow harvesters; for everything about him is ripe for the harvest. - Thus spoke Zarathustra, Fredrick Nietzsche
Old January 13, 2004, 11:05   #4
Drogue
staff

Possibly a good idea, however getting things moving faster would be nice. 60 hours should be enough time to formulate a plan.

Old January 13, 2004, 13:24   #5
Jamski
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

You would think so...

COME ON PEOPLE get PLAYING!

-Jam
Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.
Old January 13, 2004, 16:07   #6
Enigma_Nova
C4DG The Mercenary Team
Emperor

Local Time: 02:07
Local Date: November 3, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Drogue
Hive has undergone an upheaval, and so may need more time until a regular turnplayer emerges (without Kody).
Don't you worry, guys. We posted the poll and we'll have a new player before the turn shows up.

Watch for an Enigma turn or a Dacole turn.
Old January 13, 2004, 22:05   #7
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

One of the problems I percieve about this is the lack of the ability (or at elast allowance) to enforce the deadline.
In the past Googlie left "command" up to me, and PEACE was getting very late. So I warned them that I would have to post their turn for them if they dont post it soon. The reaction?
Hercules told me to back off, and I had someone come up to me and tell me "Googlie doesn't actually enforce the deadline...You shouldn't either."

I was confused, but if that was the peoples will then obviously I would not do it.
The point is though.....People said they want the deadline, but then began biting at me when I was hinting that I was actually going to enforce it.
So if you guys are going to vote to enforce it, then I will. Just make sure its what you really want
Old January 13, 2004, 23:06   #8
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 04:07
I think we will be enforcing it from now. As long as we decide in this poll to enforce it, then there should be no holding back - if a particular team is slack and then tells a God to 'back off', they'd better have a damn good reason for being allowed some extra time. The lack of organisation and irresponsibility for any individual team should not be allowed to impact on the rest of the teams who are waiting to play.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!
Old January 13, 2004, 23:22   #9
GeneralTacticus
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMPtWDG RoleplayNationStatesInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Local Time: 03:07
Keep the same deadline, and keep the punishment the same.
Old January 14, 2004, 00:14   #10
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace

Alright....When this poll becomes law, I'm sure everyone can agree that while special exemptions will be granted, if a faction (and I wont name names ) is repeatedly couped over and over and over again or if their turn player is gone again and again and again, then soon those extensions won't be granted.
Old January 14, 2004, 00:17   #11
Kody
ACDG The Human HiveACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 GaiansACDG3 MorganACDG3 SpartansACDG3 CMNs
Emperor

Quote:
In the past Googlie left "command" up to me, and PEACE was getting very late. So I warned them that I would have to post their turn for them if they dont post it soon. The reaction?
Hercules told me to back off, and I had someone come up to me and tell me "Googlie doesn't actually enforce the deadline...You shouldn't either."
It was different back then. At that stage of the game everyone was going overtime except the drones (the cycon had played 3 turns in a row late). The majority of the Hive didn't care enough to hurry up the turn as the hive was inactive. Drones being the introverts they are weren't going to get involved.

Also Googlie hadn't enforced the rule at all. Googlie had to first enforce the rule (which he has done now) otherwise you may have gotten far too many complaints.

Circumstances have changed though....
Old January 14, 2004, 00:32   #12
Snowflake
ACDG3 SpartansACDG The Human HiveACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 GaiansACDG3 MorganACDG3 CMNs
Princess

Local Time: 10:07
I agree with Function Impalor. Extensions have been granted to factions when initial contact was made. I feel that factions at war may be given the same relaxations of the rules and 24 hours more sounds like a reasonable time of extension.

I agree for factions that has not met the 48 hour deadline the moderator should press end turn for it.

Grapefruit Garden
Old January 14, 2004, 02:07   #13
jtsisyoda
ACDG The Free DronesAlpha Centauri PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 Morgan
King

Local Time: 11:07
I voted to keep the existing rules. Some leniency is ok, especially for war or other circumstances, but in general we should keep the game moving.
Old January 15, 2004, 09:28   #14
Googlie
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 GaiansACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 MorganACDG3 CMNsACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha Centaurians
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Kody
Googlie had to first enforce the rule (which he has done now) otherwise you may have gotten far too many complaints.
................ and I struggled long about whether I should even do this, as IIRC there was no "enforcement" ability granted to the Gods - just wrist slapping

So what I actually did was to interpret the PUT turn orders (such as there were) in moving the turn forward - in most cases nothing was so far committed that turn that Archaic couldn't undo it the next turn when he took over as a sole-playing PBEM faction

Given that I didn't have a mandate to execute a penal "turn complete" I felt that was the best compromise.

It will be interesting to see what this poll produces by way of a mandate

G.
Old January 15, 2004, 09:49   #15
Drogue
staff

Well, currently:
9 for "Keep punishment as the same (Google ends and posts turn)"
1 for "Reduce punishment for not meeting the deadline"
1 for "Increase punishment for not meeting the deadline"

As for your mandate:
Turnplay limit,
First offence punishment,
Second and subsequent offence punishment.

That is what we voted for, as I have mentioned above. It is obviously all at your discretion, but this is your mandate for pressing end turn for a second late turn, if you wish. I can't find part two of the poll (if anyone else does, please post) but that was the one that said punishment should be enacted 12 hours after the deadline.

Old January 17, 2004, 08:16   #16
Main_Brain
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Free Drones
King

Local Time: 18:07
With Fewer Players Turns should be completed faster!
;=)
Old January 17, 2004, 13:37   #17
Googlie
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 GaiansACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 MorganACDG3 CMNsACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha Centaurians
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Drogue
That is what we voted for, as I have mentioned above. It is obviously all at your discretion, but this is your mandate for pressing end turn for a second late turn, if you wish. I can't find part two of the poll (if anyone else does, please post) but that was the one that said punishment should be enacted 12 hours after the deadline.
Well, as I recall, the whole issue foundered on whether these matters should be decided on a "one faction-one vote" or "each participant-one vote" basis.

In any event, I used discretion that only time I did end the turn, and had no cry of outrage from Archaic, so presumably Tass and/or I will have a similar acceptance should it be necessary again

G.
Old January 17, 2004, 19:06   #18
Nubclear

Three days have passed, and as such this is now LAW!
Old January 17, 2004, 22:04   #19
Enigma_Nova
C4DG The Mercenary Team
Emperor

So now what the hell do I do about Archaic? I posted the turn in the thread, but what if he doesn't show up to get it?

It's his bad luck, I guess!
(Come to think of it why aren't my Hiverian colleagues getting the end turn from there?)
Old January 18, 2004, 02:15   #20
Googlie
Emperor

Quote:
Attachment: enigma_2153.zip
This has been downloaded 2 time(s).
And the two downloadas are prolly Tass and me (I'm definitely one of them)

G.
Old January 18, 2004, 03:35   #21
Enigma_Nova
C4DG The Mercenary Team
Emperor

You know where archaic's e-mail addy lies?
I'll bet that second one is not Tass but GeneralTacticus, eagerly viewing Archaic's turn.

I reckon the main failure is getting this turn to the SMAC PBEM man himself.