Old January 13, 2004, 16:21   #1
Space05us
King

Local Time: 04:08
Local Date: November 3, 2010
Where did YOU come from?
Before you stumble upon the holy bastion amongst the waste that is the internet were did you hang out online?

Me, I used to frequent Bravenet and MSN chat rooms and then I found JRChat which is a chatroom created by LummoxJR, who is practicaly the founding father of the Creatures community (not stefu not furries, its a computer game). There I learned how to be civil and conduct myself without asking "a/s/l" "wanna cyber" etc. Then one day I did a dogpile search on "Civ2 scenarios" and the most mentioned site was CFC, but because I liked Apolyton's lay out and forums more I came here.
Old January 13, 2004, 16:22   #2
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

Local Time: 12:08
Local Date: November 2, 2010
I found CivFanatics and Apolyton at the same time, while trying to design a "Second Age of Middle Earth" scenario for CivII. Then there was the run-up to CivIII, it's release, and somewhere along the line I found the OT forum. Mistake, that.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old January 13, 2004, 16:23   #3
MrFun
Emperor

Local Time: 11:08
local gay chatrooms for most part

In terms of forums though, and not chatrooms -- Apolyton has been the first forum I have become stuck with over the years -- there was one fictional writers' forum that I found, but they closed that one down.

So now, Apolyton is the only forum I participate in. Markos should give me brownie points for my loyalty.
Old January 13, 2004, 16:28   #4
Pekka
Emperor

Local Time: 19:08
straight outta compton.
"God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.
Old January 13, 2004, 16:31   #5
Boris Godunov
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 09:08
I honestly don't remember. There was some forum on which I regularly discussed politics and such. I remember hanging out there during the 2000 elections. But I have no clue where it was now, or even what my user name was.
Old January 13, 2004, 16:34   #6
Patroklos
Emperor

Local Time: 16:08
First forums I used were WWII literary forums that long ago perished, then an few mIRC chatrooms.

Started at Apoyton, but moved to CFC beause some of the experianced unit makers gave me considerable help, then CDG. Always monitored Poly though.

OT was something I participated in when I first joined both forums, basically becasue the other forum members warned me agains it But I got tired of them and left, came back to both a few months ago, but CFC's is hardly as entertaining as this one.
Old January 13, 2004, 16:41   #7
Jon Miller
staff
ApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization II MultiplayerRise of Nations MultiplayerPtWDG Vox ControliC4DG Vox
OTF Moderator

Local Time: 10:08
OWO

I had visited theold Ultimate site, but didn't stay (just downloaded scenarios)

Jon Miller
Old January 13, 2004, 16:48   #8
loinburger
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Before Poly, I mostly hung out in AOL financial chatrooms giving people terrible investing tips, or AOL dating chatrooms pretending to be a woman. I'm not exactly sure how that led to me eventually winding up at Poly, but whatever.
Old January 13, 2004, 16:58   #9
Ben Kenobi
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession GamesCivilization II Multiplayer
Emperor

Discovered CFC and Apolyton at the same time. I got the brilliant idea of seeing what sites they were on civ, and these two were by far the best. Iliked the strategy offered on CFC, but I loved the demogames offered on Apolyton. I remember sifting through all the civ2DG archives, and then joining the game.

For the first 4 months, I stayed exclusively ontopic, until I checked out this mysterious off-topic forum. Since then I've probably posted on a 2 to 1 ratio, twice as much off-topic as on.

Never posted before Apolyton, I never chatted either. Not much opportunity until I had my own computer at home with internet access, something I did not have up until the last year or so.
Old January 13, 2004, 17:14   #10
Paul Hanson
King

Local Time: 17:08
I didn't. I discovered Apolyton after only being online for about a month or so, back in 98.

Eyewerks - you know you want to visit. No really, you do. Go on, click me.
Old January 13, 2004, 17:21   #11
Shi Huangdi
Emperor

OWO

"I imagine the neighbors on your right are estatic." - Slowwhand
Old January 13, 2004, 17:38   #12
The Emperor Fabulous
Civ4 SP Democracy Game
King

:sigh:

I'm a former AOL-er...
Old January 13, 2004, 17:41   #13
GePap
Emperor

I found the site while looking for good civ2 scenerios to download and graphics to use in my own.

This is also the first and only internet forum I post.
"Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw
Old January 13, 2004, 18:19   #14
JohnT
lifer
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

I first got online through Prodigy, which we had at work from about 1992. At home I didn't hook up until 1995, and my ISP was some company that has probably been resold about 3 or 5 times. Actually, I do know it has because the company that bought it sold itself to Compuserve, which in turn sold itself to AOL.

However, I jumped to AOL long before that because it was available nationally on a level that this other ISP couldn't even match (though it claimed nationwide coverage). It was at AOL where I first chatted and used message boards heavily - I preferred MB's much more than chatting, and far more than the cacophony of usenet. My first "favorite" board was an AOL board about the end of the millennium, and we talked a lot about Nostradumbass, Y2k (If I had a nickel for everytime I heard "If one part of the grid goes down, it'll ALL GO DOWN!!" I'd have a nicer car), "best of" lists, and stuff like that.

I got out of AOHell as soon as I got DSL (a couple of years ago), but my wife still uses it. The biggest complaint I had with the service is that you couldn't ALT-TAB between windows, which really slows me down.

Last edited by JohnT; January 13, 2004 at 18:24.
Old January 13, 2004, 18:28   #15
Bugs ****ing Bunny
Emperor

Iron Lung, PC Zone, Alpha Centauri, Firaxis and OWO.
Old January 13, 2004, 18:40   #16
chequita guevara
ACDG The Human HiveDiplomacyApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

AmberMUSH
Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
Old January 13, 2004, 18:55   #17
Jon Shafer
PtWDG RoleplayPtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG Neu DemogypticaInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG LegolandPtWDG Vox ControliPtWDG Glory of WarPtWDG2 SunshineApolyton UniversityC3CDG Desolation RowApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG SarantiumApolyCon 06 ParticipantsPtWDG Lux Invicta
Firaxis Games Programmer/Designer

I played Civ 2 for a bit, then Civ 3 came out. I went searching for Marla's world map over in a big ol' long thread at CFC (skipping a day of school ) and was linked here eventually, where I first hung out in the Civ 3 Creation forum.
Old January 13, 2004, 18:57   #18
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

Various MUSHes. I had my own, too.
Old January 13, 2004, 19:17   #19
BigFree
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III MultiplayerPtWDG RoleplayCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCivilization III Democracy GameCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG CalysiumBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG SarantiumPtWDG2 SunshineC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by loinburger
Before Poly, I mostly hung out in AOL financial chatrooms giving people terrible investing tips, or AOL dating chatrooms pretending to be a woman. I'm not exactly sure how that led to me eventually winding up at Poly, but whatever.

Was that for shits and giggles or would you prefer to be a woman? Just asking for curiosities sake. I always wondered how many men pretended to be an 18 year old girl and vice versa.
Old January 13, 2004, 20:22   #20
OzzyKP
staff
ApolyCon 06 ParticipantsDiploGamesPolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4DG The Mercenary TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame
ACS Staff Member

I was into a local BBS back in the early '90s. Then... AOL. Did some dungeons and dragons in AOL chatrooms. I don't remember any AOL forums though.

Then, I don't remember much Internet activity. Maybe I actually had a life for a few years. Then came Civ and my life was forever doomed. Found Apolyton through Gameleague. Found Gameleague when my friend Buddy and I decided (amongst ourselves) we were two of the best Civ2 players in the world and sought out a site where we could prove it. Sure enough we were two of the best, but there was more competition out there than we expected.

So I basically just posted in the Gameleague forum, hosted by Apolyton. Finally I went exploring and found the rest of the site. I'm not as hooked on OT as the rest of you, but I'm still here more than I should be.

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah
Old January 13, 2004, 21:06   #21
Lawrence of Arabia
PtWDG Gathering StormMac
King

Local Time: 08:08
Quote:
Where did YOU come from?
Uranus.
Old January 13, 2004, 21:07   #22
General Ludd
NationStates
Emperor

Forums for whatever game I was playing at the time.

The only reason I am still visiting apolyton is because the Off Topic got a hold of me.

Do It Ourselves
Old January 13, 2004, 21:08   #23
flipside
Warlord

Drunk at uni.Some guy was using the computer for civ.
The powergraph sucked me in.Got engaged, split up,played more civ.Did an internet search.Lurked for a couple of years, and then, one day got fed up about flags and spammed.
Old January 13, 2004, 21:18   #24
Ming
lifer
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerPolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Retired

From the Original Greek site before the merger... and before that... the Addicted to Civ site.
Old January 13, 2004, 21:22   #25
Japher
Emperor

I use to chat on mirc a lot back in college... but that's about it.

Once I got out of school I was always to busy to chat. Then one day at work, while thinking of CIV, I decided to look for ppl to talk about it with... Found this place and nothing has been the same.
Old January 13, 2004, 21:30   #26
asleepathewheel
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

bbs's in the early 90s then.....darkness....then here
Old January 13, 2004, 21:44   #27
MattH
King

RINKWORKS!!!!111!
Old January 13, 2004, 22:12   #28
Neutrino
Settler

I came from my mother...

I got hooked on Alpha Centauri a few years ago and while searching for strategies, I stumbled onto these boards
Old January 13, 2004, 22:31   #29
JCG
Prince

Through my interest in Civ2 scenarios (Red Front comes to mind), but I can't really remember the exact details...lurked for quite a while and then registered, just to semi-lurk some more...
Old January 13, 2004, 23:11   #30
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 03:08
Local Date: November 3, 2010
Poly was my first.