Old January 13, 2004, 18:50   #1
Beltz
Settler

Local Time: 16:08
Local Date: November 2, 2010
What CEREMONY do you hold while playing Civ?
Me:

I love Japanese culture and electronic gadgets so I always play as them.

My ceremony *sometimes* goes as follow...

I get my sake porcelain kit. I get a bottle of sake, fill the porcelain urn, heat it, get ready to drink and play

I Open Encarta encyclopedia, the bible (ebook) and the Quran (ebook).

During those loooooong waits between turns, I read either articles from Encarta on various civilizations (mostly the ancient ones) or I read the bible or quran. I am not religious though, it's just for culture

Right now Im studying the Hittite civilization. I will study Japan in dept next and maybe read 50 pages or so of the Quran.

When I'm not reading stuff between turns, I usually listen to some japanese music (shiina ringo)
Old January 13, 2004, 19:21   #2
:) Smiley
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

Local Time: 09:08
I post on Poly while the AI takes its jolly time.
Old January 13, 2004, 19:41   #3
mrboo123
Rise of Nations MultiplayerC4DG VoxCiv4 SP Democracy GameNationStates
King

Local Time: 10:08
play Game Boy for waiting turns
Old January 13, 2004, 20:34   #4
Plotinus
Prince

Local Time: 17:08
Beltz, you are clearly a very strange person. I approve whole-heartedly, though.
Old January 13, 2004, 20:43   #5
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 12:08
You sure this doesn't belong in the "you might be addict" thread.
Old January 13, 2004, 20:47   #6
Rhothaerill
supporter
C4DG SarantiumPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GamePtWDG2 TabemonoInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildApolyton UniversityCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG Huygen's UnionC3CDG Euphorica
Emperor

Hmm, ceremony? How about...open internet, find Dell, order brand new computer that avoids the excessive lag time between turns.
Old January 13, 2004, 21:13   #7
SirOsis
Civilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization IV: Multiplayer
King

I think about how my Berserks are going to run all over the Franks and giggle delightedly like a school girl.
Old January 13, 2004, 22:25   #8
YC4B4U
Warlord

Local Time: 01:38
Local Date: November 3, 2010
Vacuum, clean dishes, wash clothes, cook tea or pick up pizza...
Old January 13, 2004, 23:07   #9
Underseer
Warlord

Me?

First I fire up my MP3 player (I have music in Civ 3 disabled, of course). Then I fire up a web browser and open several pages simulatneously (forums, tech news, opions-editorials, tech reviews). Then I fire up Civ 3 and start playing. During the inevitable interminable waits in Civ 3, I flip back to my surfing and message board postings.
Old January 14, 2004, 02:01   #10
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 04:08
Don't know if ceremony is quite the word, but I will do a few push-ups and sit-ups. Yes, this is my effort to stay in some kind of shape between the hockey seasons.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!
Old January 14, 2004, 03:14   #11
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

I munch M&Ms to placate the RNG godz.
Old January 14, 2004, 11:09   #12
Alex
Emperor

Local Time: 13:08
i fart in some many uncontrollable ways...
Old January 14, 2004, 11:26   #13
jackl
Chieftain

I talk to myself....give my self reports "foreign advisor" style.

"sir the romans have moved two legions and a settler north of Coventry. I belive they may be trying to create a settlment close to the iron deposits there."

Or i talk to the other leaders...

"Ha. You're halving a laugh you Roman Muppet, Ceasar. If you think England will accept that youve another think comming. And after i gave you Theology for two gold coz i was feelin generous. well forget mister."

Dont laugh you know you do it too....plz say you do it too!

I also have civs that i just like and hate for no good reason....i hate the byzantines (coz theadora is prettier than Elizabeth and i reckon Liz would be a bit jelous) and i like the Americans coz they always seem a bit hard done to in my games and i detest the carthaginians coz they once declared war on me for no good reason and spoiled a real good game.

And the Babylonians...HA i just dont like that hamurabi bloke he rubs me up the wrong way....aint that right

yep thats right.
Old January 14, 2004, 11:36   #14
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

I sputter in indignation when the RNG screws me, and chortle with glee when it smiles on me.

I occasionally catch myself murmuring "sssssooooon, my preciousssss" while doing a military buildup.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old January 14, 2004, 12:07   #15
Beltz
Settler

haha I bring bad feelings from RL to the game too.

If I hate or like a civ in real life, I will threat them accordingly in the game.

If a neutral civ pisses me off in the game, I might just hate them in real life too
Old January 14, 2004, 12:28   #16
TheArsenal
Apolyton University
Prince

Ceremony I hold while playing civ? Now that’s an odd question.

I march a warrior to a volcano and disband it in an act of trying to appease the fickle Gods of RNG.

Not really.

But I do light reading (magazines) between turns between long turns (world wars and such) . And I also talk to myself a bit after particularly stupid play: “You signed a MPP with the Germans guy, did you not expect to get dragged into war this fast?”
Old January 14, 2004, 18:22   #17
ShadowPresident
Settler

I like to play at Chieftain level (been a Civ'er since Civ1 came out) so I can roll over Persian Spearmen with Modern Armor. I too, giggle like an evil Wicked With of the West (I'll get you my Persia, and your little friends, the Russians, too!) and loudly question the wisodm of the Greeks telling me to move my tnaks out of their territory or they'll be forced to fight me (again, with Spearmen or maybe even archers!). I used to drink and smoke alot while playing too, but married life changed that, as well as the clothing optional rule (TMI?) Well, off to feed the Romans (to my tanks!)
Old January 14, 2004, 18:41   #18
steven8r
Prince

I don't like to miss the 'inbetween' turns. I sit staring fixedly into my computer screen until it's my turn again.

As far as 'Ceremony' goes, well.... I occationally do the 'Potty Dance'.

and Jackl, yes, I do sometimes converse (or curse) during the negotiations.

Arrian, I too exclaim w/ glee (Woo Hoo!) when the RNG goes my way, and become indignant when it doesn't. Occationally, I will find myself shouting at a losing 'mounted' unit, "Run Away. Run Away." Then, "Well you deserve to be dead 'cause you refused to retreat. Oh well, my maintainance just went down 1."

Steven

Last edited by steven8r; January 14, 2004 at 19:11.
Old January 15, 2004, 07:27   #19
jackl
Chieftain

Oh my god I nearly forgot...

When a flight of 30 bombers manages to miss a target thirteen times, destroy ten improvements, kill six units of population and take one lousy hit point off the Elite mech infantry thats sitting on top of a stack of five others guarding a city i often scream and rant

"OHHHH MY GOD. THE CHIEF OF THE AIR FORCE IS SO GONNA GET FIRED...NEVER MIND FIRED I'LL HAVE HIM SHOT....I MEAN WHO TRAINED THESE IDIOTS TO AIM...FOR F**k SAKE."

And that little shuffle the MI always makes ALWAYS LOOKS LIKE ITS LAUGHING AT ME.....ohh thaty ticks me off.
Old January 15, 2004, 09:26   #20
Cerbykins
Warlord

Lots of shouting, screaming and cursing of course
And between turns, a mind that wanders elsewhere on other topics. Kinda explains why I haven't much taste for micromanagement
Old January 15, 2004, 09:29   #21
Mountain Sage
PtWDG2 Cake or Death?Apolyton University
King

During those long waits my wife and me .
Now she accuses me of playing those gargantuan maps/32 civs/ conquest only on puropse and declared I could only play with tiny maps, max. 2 civs

But I have an I will play the minimaps on my old 33 Hz computer. 45' per turn should be enough, don't you think?
Old January 15, 2004, 11:10   #22
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

Quote:
[SIZE=1]
Arrian, I too exclaim w/ glee (Woo Hoo!) when the RNG goes my way, and become indignant when it doesn't. Occationally, I will find myself shouting at a losing 'mounted' unit, "Run Away. Run Away." Then, "Well you deserve to be dead 'cause you refused to retreat. Oh well, my maintainance just went down 1.
Come to think of it, I do talk to my units:

"Fight! Fight damn you! What the hell am I paying you guys for! You're FIRED! *or* Well, you DESERVED TO DIE THEN!" Pretty much what you do.

"Run away! Run A-WAY! Noooooo!" - as an elite mounted unit fails retreat and dies.

"Elite my ass! You guys are pathetic!" - when an elite unit is killed or retreats from a clearly inferior unit (Cav vs. Spear or something like that).

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old January 15, 2004, 12:31   #23
steven8r
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Arrian

Come to think of it, I do talk to my units:

"Fight! Fight damn you! What the hell am I paying you guys for! You're FIRED! *or* Well, you DESERVED TO DIE THEN!" Pretty much what you do.

"Run away! Run A-WAY! Noooooo!" - as an elite mounted unit fails retreat and dies.

"Elite my ass! You guys are pathetic!" - when an elite unit is killed or retreats from a clearly inferior unit (Cav vs. Spear or something like that).

-Arrian
Yup.

I haven't figured-out if it actually helps to 'encourage' your units or not, but it sure makes me feel better, or worse--depending upon the outcome.

I often chant to my Swords: "Stabbity Stab Stab!" (repeat as often as it takes to dispatch the defender).

And things like, "Take that you filthy, mongeral, egg sucking, flea infested [insert enemy UU here]!"

I could go on and on (and usually do during my games).

Steven
Old January 15, 2004, 16:02   #24
AceofSpades
Settler

Drinking abusively until I fall out of may chair, and smoking sweet mari jane.
Old January 15, 2004, 21:55   #25
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 04:08
Quote:
Originally posted by Mountain Sage
During those long waits my wife and me .
Now she accuses me of playing those gargantuan maps/32 civs/ conquest only on puropse and declared I could only play with tiny maps, max. 2 civs

But I have an I will play the minimaps on my old 33 Hz computer. 45' per turn should be enough, don't you think?
Best idea yet.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!
Old January 16, 2004, 01:00   #26
Sarxis
Rise of Nations MultiplayerAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
Emperor

I have a TV right by my computer desk, so I just watch TV.

Probably will read the Bible if/when I get around to my next game.
Old January 16, 2004, 15:44   #27
dworkin
Chieftain

I speak to my minions from the Book of Dworkin.

"Thou shalt hit thy enemy in the head and kill him or you will surely die and, verily, yee shall be in a world of excrement." - Beatings 3:10

"Remember oh, small and ingignificant ones that thy God is a little ham-fisted and clumsy and may send you in the wrong direction. As the perfidious enemy slay thee, do not curse thy dim diety as he has done it enough to Himself already" - Accidents 7:20
Old January 16, 2004, 16:06   #28
Arrian
Deity

Beatings 3:10

Old January 16, 2004, 19:18   #29
Johann Moritz
Civilization III PBEM
Prince

Whenever an Elite unit is about to win a combat:

YESSSS! A GREAT LEADER!................ awwwwwww

The same when I'm only a turn away from being the first to research a tech, but with Scientific Leader.
"Nuestros enemigos son imaginativos y están llenos de recursos; nosotros, también. Nunca dejan de buscar nuevas maneras de perjudicar a nuestro país y a nuestro pueblo; nosotros, tampoco." George W. Bush
Old January 17, 2004, 12:06   #30
The Mad Monk
Emperor

Local Time: 11:08
Quote:
Originally posted by YC4B4U
Vacuum, clean dishes, wash clothes, cook tea or pick up pizza...
Same, replace "tea" with "coffee", add "light weight lifting" and "catch up on magazines".
"We have tried spending money. We are spending more than we have ever spent before and it does not work...After eight years of this Administration, we have just as much unemployment as when we started... And an enormous debt to boot!" — Henry Morgenthau, Franklin Delano Roosevelt's Treasury secretary, 1941.